As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has the Wii bubble burst?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    No, no it's really not. If by solid you mean "Has a ton of crapware and a precious handful of decent games" then yes.

Sales are still high. Your opinion does not alter reality.

High sales of the system itself does not change or excuse the poor quality of the games library.

My parents just play Wiisport with my Wii, nothing else. I own collectively about six or seven games on it. The only really good games on the system I already have and beyond that there is nothing else that interests me. If I was to retrieve my Wii today, I would be looking forward to a mere 3 games: The new Resident Evil lightshooter, Dead Space (another light shooter) and Mad World. But none of these games are "Must haves" to me that I will be genuinely missing out on if I don't get it.

The alternative would be that your parents would not be playing on the Wii at all and would still view games as unplayable for them.

Which would also be wrong. My mother plays Diablo 2 and other similar games, in fact she's even looking forward to Diablo 3 because the graphics are something she can actually see for once.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fine, more detail:
    I own a dozen Wii games I'd call high-quality, and am looking forward to at least twice as many more. There's a lot in development for the platform for anyone who actually bothers to look out for it instead of just clinging to their precious opinions.

How many people complaining bought, say, Zack and Wiki?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh Wii fit. Why couldn't it have been the failure it deserved to be?

(someone post the crazy ex-pat video. That thing is priceless)

Leitner on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Th Wii slowing down in sales only proves just how much of a fad this system really is. Like every fad people are obsessed for a while and then they let it go as quickly as they picked it up. What else would you expect from casuals? they purchase video games based around almost nothing except maybe a well known series or just by looking at the cover. They don't go into a great amount of thought to decide if in March they'll be buying MadWorld Resident Evil or Killzone. It's just the way the Wii has been targeted towards them and it is not the least but surprising that they would get bored of it.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Fine, more detail:
    I own a dozen Wii games I'd call high-quality

These are?
    There's a lot in development for the platform for anyone who actually bothers to look out for it instead of just clinging to their precious opinions.

There really isn't.

I did. It was fun for the couple of weeks or so I had it.

Then after that, a dry desert of absolutely nothing for several months. I think the only other game I bought after that was Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. Then I had another couple of months until Nintendo bothered to release Brawl and after that I gave up bothering.

But really, perhaps if you took off the fanboy glasses you would see your own bias (That you like to accuse others of) and see there really isn't that much at all. There is nothing coming up to my mind that looks and has the interesting mechanics of the Wiis original first party games like Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2009
    The Wii of 2007\early 2008 had a good library. The present Wii does not.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MarioG wrote: »
    Th Wii slowing down in sales only proves just how much of a fad this system really is. Like every fad people are obsessed for a while and then they let it go as quickly as they picked it up. What else would you expect from casuals? they purchase video games based around almost nothing except maybe a well known series or just by looking at the cover. They don't go into a great amount of thought to decide if in March they'll be buying MadWorld Resident Evil or Killzone. It's just the way the Wii has been targeted towards them and it is not the least but surprising that they would get bored of it.

That's an awesome tone. Let's condescend toward people who don't make video games their hobby of choice.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I also am not being cute. I own like 5 360 games (forgot about ultimate alliance, which to be fair, I bought because the wii version blows). I own way more wii games, and am in general very pleased with the system. The 360 currently gets more play right now, but that is solely due to rock band.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fine, more detail:
    I own a dozen Wii games I'd call high-quality, and am looking forward to at least twice as many more. There's a lot in development for the platform for anyone who actually bothers to look out for it instead of just clinging to their precious opinions.

Pfffft, what was the Wii's big holiday game this last Christmas? Nothing.

This is like the N64 back in 1997 - the good games are coming but there's nothing here now.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fine, more detail:
    I own a dozen Wii games I'd call high-quality

These are?

LIST WARS
    Episode 7:
    Because your opinion is wrong

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Pro-tip: According to NPD and UK's chart-track, Wii users buy more games than X360 users. And this goes for both 1st and 3rd party software.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    The Wii of 2007\early 2008 had a good library. The present Wii does not.

For some of us, those great 2008 games became late 2008 games as well, increasing the time difference between when things that were good were out and when there was, you know, that fitness trainer from the biggest losers game on shelves. Why Nintendo considers releasing things so late in other markets than Japan/NA has baffled me for years.

As the main new release.

For nearly two weeks.

Yeah.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

That's an awesome tone. Let's condescend toward people who don't make video games their hobby of choice.

I didn't mean for it to turn out insulting I was just trying to explain how casual gamers play and purchase their games in most situations.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But really, perhaps if you took off the fanboy glasses you would see your own bias (That you like to accuse others of) and see there really isn't that much at all. There is nothing coming up to my mind that looks and has the interesting mechanics of the Wiis original first party games like Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3.

Since you're clearly happy to just rail at empty air without any substance, i'll provide a partial list:

Little King's Story(/Project O)
    Project Zero 4
    Fragile
    CC: Crystal Bearers
    Dragon Quest X
    No More Heroes 2
    Shiren 3
    Mad World
    Rune Factory Frontier
    Sadness
    Cursed Mountain
    Overlord: Dark Legend
    Ougon no Kizuna/Bonds of Gold
    Monster Hunter 3
    Muramasa: The Demon Blade
    Sky Crawlers
    Arc Rise Fantasia
    Valhalla Knights Eldar Saga
    Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
    Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Cosmic Walker
    Spawn Smasher
    Line Attack Heroes
    Takt of Magic
    Dynamic Slash
    Trace Memory
    The Conduit
    The Calling
    QJ
    TMNT: Smash UP
    Dead Space: Extraction
    Night Game
    A Boy and his Blob
    The Munchables
    Excitebots
    Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles

There are, I repeat, a lot of promising games on the horizon in the next couple of years.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    There are, I repeat, a lot of promising games on the horizon in the next couple of years.

But see, there is only one FPS and no sandbox games. That is what real hardcore gamerz play. :|

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I also am not being cute. I own like 5 360 games (forgot about ultimate alliance, which to be fair, I bought because the wii version blows). I own way more wii games, and am in general very pleased with the system. The 360 currently gets more play right now, but that is solely due to rock band.

360 top 10 on live last week (remember, I only own a 360)

1 Halo 3 (shooter, 2 year old game, franchise)
    2 Call of Duty: WaW (shooter, sequel to game that came out 2 years ago, franchise)
    3 Call of Duty 4 (shooter, 2 year old game, franchise)
    4 Gears of War 2 (shooter, sequel, franchise)
    5 GTA IV (shooting, sequel, franchise)
    6 RESIDENT EVIL 5 (shooting, sequel, franchise)
    7 Halo Wars (based off a shooter, franchise game)
    8 Left 4 Dead (shooting, new game)
    9 FIFA 09 (shooting takes place, sequel, franchise)
    10 STREET FIGHTER IV (fighting, sequel, franchise)

Out of that least, Left 4 Dead is the only game that isn't a franchise or a sequel. And only two don't focus around shooting guns.

One. Brand. New. Game.

And only 2 of them are not third party games (Wars and Halo 3)

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited March 2009
    Fine, more detail:

I did!

I dunno - 2008 sucked and left people feeling bitter. I think that's fair.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fine, more detail:

I bought Zack and Wiki. Loved it, fantastic game. I also bought just every other critically acclaimed Wii title for two years. There is loads of good stuff on the Wii.

Doesn't change the fact that once I bought a PS3 my Wii collected dust and I eventually sold it on Craigslist. Pretty good return on all the hardware (4 wiimotes, wiifit, etc). I'd say the only area I took a loss was in Virtual Console purchases.

IMO I simply prefer the High Def more "hardcore" titles of 360 or PS3 (for me it was PS3 for Blu Ray).

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    IMO I simply prefer the High Def more "hardcore" titles of 360 or PS3 (for me it was PS3 for Blu Ray).

I really start to loathe people who think that playing latest generic shooter with HD-set is hardcore. But yeah, if Halo 3 is hardcore, then visiting in McDonalds is hardcore too.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    Fine, more detail:

I did!

I dunno - 2008 sucked and left people feeling bitter. I think that's fair.

I'd agree 2008 was pretty poor. I simply think that the coming two years will more than make up for it, as I listed above.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can't we all just agree that the Wii has a lot of good games, but not everyone is interested in those games and prefer the offerings of the other consoles?

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I didn't mean for it to turn out insulting I was just trying to explain how casual gamers play and purchase their games in most situations.

You're right, I jumped the gun on that statement. Started to let my frustrations from non-forum happenings spill into my posting. >.<

I'm gonna disagree though in the fad bit. None of my coworkers saw it as a cool thing to do, or THE thing to do, to get Wii's. Nor did their parents (several of my coworkers' parents got Wii's last holiday season). I mean, that's what makes a fad different - the fitting in part. They certainly heard about it before, but not to the extent of, "Oh dude everyone is getting one."

Only one of my coworkers, for the record, is a gamer (to the sense this forum understands them to be).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Some of those games you list aren't probably going to be spectacular by far. For example, I liked Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, but it wasn't great and it isn't a Resident Evil 4 or Resident Evil 5. Neither will Darkside Chronicles. Looking at some of those other games I'm not so impressed, because it looks like you just copied a bunch of games onto that list without bothering to analyse any of them, then proclaim you're right. I don't see anything on that list, with only a couple of exceptions (Dragon Quest X I have high hopes for, as with Mad World) that I see becoming a true "must have" game like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3.

Other things listed there are very similar to me in that regard, like the Dead Space rail shooter. I would only buy both games if I had my Wii around and liked the previous games. But I won't buy either on release and I won't be buying either of those games at all unless I find them discounted. I can say the same for many of the other games on your list.

On your list, I would narrow it down very much to just:

Dragon Quest X
    No More Heroes 2
    Mad World (which comes out shortly I hear)
    A Boy and his Blob (which could be interesting)

And that's about it really from my point of view. Just making a list of games, many of which aren't anywhere near as promising as you're claiming doesn't prove your point: it merely proves you can make a list of random upcoming games.

And again, with the exception of Mad World I know of few games coming out right now I would want. Being years off when the console has had barely any use for a year does not endear me to it and there is a continual amount of good games coming out on the 360 and even the PS3 on a regular basis.

And that "regular" part is what matters.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Can't we all just agree that the Wii has a lot of good games, but not everyone is interested in those games and prefer the offerings of the other consoles?

Yeah, that is how it works. But anyways, back to the topic. Only region where you could argue that Wii "bubble" is burst is Japan. And frankly, all homeconsoles there are victims of DS. There is simply no room for three highly popular consoles in japanese market.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    There is no 'bubble'. The Wii is popular, everyone. Time to accept it.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »

I really start to loathe people who think that playing latest generic shooter with HD-set is hardcore. But yeah, if Halo 3 is hardcore, then visiting in McDonalds is hardcore too.

Have you played Killzone2 online? It's fucking badass.

Mario Kart was awfully fun too, that's why I said the Wii does have great titles. But at the same time, I've never regretted selling my Wii.. at all.. a bit.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And that's about it really from my point of view. Just making a list of games, many of which aren't anywhere near as promising as you're claiming doesn't prove your point: it merely proves you can make a list of random upcoming games.

Only think that here is proved that you don't even know backgrounds for majority of those games. You just picked familiar brand names and those that contain blood. Many games on that list aren't random to anyone who knows his stuff.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

What does that even mean?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009

But see, there is only one FPS and no sandbox games. That is what real hardcore gamerz play. :|

There isn't even games that the Wii does well though.

I would kill for another Zak and Wiki game. I would love another Mario Galaxy quality platformer. I would love another shot at a game like Paper Mario (though I didn't like that game I must admit).

And such forth.

The problem is these games just don't exist right now and in the forseeable future there still isn't anything coming out.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Some of those games you list aren't probably going to be spectacular by far. For example, I liked Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, but it wasn't great and it isn't a Resident Evil 4 or Resident Evil 5. Neither will Darkside Chronicles. Looking at some of those other games I'm not so impressed, because it looks like you just copied a bunch of games onto that list without bothering to analyse any of them, then proclaim you're right. I don't see anything on that list, with only a couple of exceptions (Dragon Quest X I have high hopes for, as with Mad World) that I see becoming a true "must have" game like Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime 3.

Other things listed there are very similar to me in that regard, like the Dead Space rail shooter. I would only buy both games if I had my Wii around and liked the previous games. But I won't buy either on release and I won't be buying either of those games at all unless I find them discounted. I can say the same for many of the other games on your list.

On your list, I would narrow it down very much to just:

Dragon Quest X
    No More Heroes 2
    Mad World (which comes out shortly I hear)
    A Boy and his Blob (which could be interesting)

Do you even know what half the titles on the list are?
    I'd imagine not, given how quickly you glossed over them, instead just focuisng on the few that conveniently proved your point.
    I analysed all those damn games when I first drew up that list for my own benefit, ages ago. Nothing random about it. At least half of them should wind up buyable, maybe more, and Monster Hunter 3, Sin and Punishment 2, Dynamic Slash, Little King Story and QJ at least will be must-haves.

However, there's clearly no point in pursuing this, since the Wii apparantly raped your grandmother. At least try climing off your precious little pedestal for a minute.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

It means you can get a Warthog in your Happy Meal! :3

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'm not native speaker, but so far as I have understood, word hardcore means something is uncompromising, extreme. Am I right? Then would someone tell me what the hell turns something like Halo 3 into hardcore? It is mass marketed, has been severely compromised to please the target audience, and has sold 10 million copies or so. There is nothing daring or obscure about it neither. What is exactly "hardcore" here? If we use stupid food analogies, Halo 3 is same as McDonalds. Easy digestable stuff for mass market.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Only think that here is proved that you don't even know backgrounds for majority of those games. You just picked familiar brand names and those that contain blood. Many games on that list aren't random to anyone who knows his stuff.

Actually it's just because I like the art style of Mad World (which is Black and White) and I have a similar affinity for the art style of No More Heroes. I'm also picking what I'm personally confident will be good A++ games, not just making a random list of things because I can. I really liked Dragon Quest VIII for example, so I would be sure of picking Dragon Quest X and I've been following a Boy and His Blob for a while.

Problem is, as I keep mentioning, none of these games are going to come out in the forseeable future except Mad World (hopefully it comes out soon...hopefully).

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Hardcore like a potato flower, drowning in a sea of bubbles.

Zing.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I also wish to repeat my old opinion that anyone seriously using the word "hardcore" should be shot.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yes, do you? See I can be patronizing too!
    However, there's clearly no point in pursuing this, since the Wii apparantly raped your grandmother. At least try climing off your precious little pedestal for a minute.

Right back at you!

Edit: How ironic this comes from the individual who on page 1 started by accusing someone else of being biased.

The hypocrisy here is so thick, you could paint skyscrapers with it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I'd imagine not, given how quickly you glossed over them, instead just focuisng on the few that conveniently proved your point.
    I analysed all those damn games when I first drew up that list for my own benefit, ages ago. Nothing random about it. At least half of them should wind up buyable, maybe more, and Monster Hunter 3, Sin and Punishment 2, Dynamic Slash, Little King Story and QJ at least will be must-haves.

Weren't you posting in here earlier to be calm and balanced or something? Good lord.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Yes, do you? See I can be patronizing too!

Right back at you!

My word.
    Your argument is clearly so secure that you don't even need to state it, and can simply rely on mindless parroting to apparantly prove something.
    What that something other than your own lack of imagination is I'm not entirely sure.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    The hypocrisy here is so thick, you could paint skyscrapers with it.

And ignorance and narrow-mindness too.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

I'm not native speaker, but so far as I have understood, word hardcore means something is uncompromising, extreme. Am I right? Then would someone tell me what the hell turns something like Halo 3 into hardcore? It is mass marketed, has been severely compromised to please the target audience, and has sold 10 million copies or so. There is nothing daring or obscure about it neither. What is exactly "hardcore" here? If we use stupid food analogies, Halo 3 is same as McDonalds. Easy digestable stuff for mass market.

I put "hardcore" in quotations for a reason.

But face it, sometimes there's nothing better than a box full of nuggets.

Besides Mario Kart, or maybe even Dr. Mario, there's nothing I'd be willing to sink a hundred hours into (Fallout, COD, Killzone) on the Wii.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
This discussion has been closed.