As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog Seizures While Sleeping?

WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not sure if these are actually seizures or not, but while sleeping (only at night, not during mid-day naps) my dog seems to twitch alot, in quick succession, and then stop. Everything from her legs to stomach and head twitch. Is this something to be concerned about?

She's a 1.5 year old Black Lab/Walker Coon Hound cross, if that matters.

Wezoin on

• Options
    squeefishsqueefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    She's probably fine. Dogs do this when dreaming (which might be why she only does it at night, since she's probably not sleeping deeply enough during the day to dream). My lab cross has been doing the same thing since he was a puppy, and he's almost thirteen now. I always find it rather cute to watch.

squeefish on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Alright, thanks. I assumed as much but figured since I wasn't all too knowledgeable on dogs it might be worth asking. To be honest if it was just light twitching I wouldn't even have thought about it, but she likes to share my bed and often shakes it hard enough to feel if I'm not asleep yet.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When I let me dog sleep in my bed, she often starts to scratch the wall in her sleep. It's really weird.

But yeah, I've seen what you're talking about and it's nothing to worry about, but it can seem odd if you're not used to it.

Invisible on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    She's just dreaming.

Probably a lot of squirrels running around in her head.

tofu on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All the dogs I've ever known do this when they sleep. They are probably dreaming.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My dog used to do tiny little barks in his sleep too. His paws would act like they were running around. Sometimes he'd do a big bark and wake himself up. Heh. Awww.

Your dog is normal!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    KeyScourgeKeyScourge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    All dogs do that. He's probably just dreaming about chasing a squirrel or something. My dog used to do it. It was funny as hell to watch

KeyScourge on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My dog does this all the time, which my wife and I find bizarre because she never, ever barks or growls when she's awake. In the waking world she's a gigantic wuss, but in the realm of sleep she is Liza, Guardian of the World!

If you're concerned you can talk to a vet about it, because there might be something strange about how it's happening with your dog. But most likely he's just having doggy dreams.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Absolutely nothing you should concern yourself about. Every dog I've ever owned has done this. Sometimes it's quite funny to watch them try to bark with their mouths shut. :lol:

As everyone here has said she's just chasing cars/rabbits/cats in her head.

Casual on
  • Options
    GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I had a dog that would shake every time he was in the sitting position; it looked like he was shivering, but he'd do it equally as much in July as he would in January. It had no bearing on his actual health though friends/visitors would always get alarmed about it.

Dogs tend to let you know when something is wrong. They're creatures of habit; if they're doing something unusual, then you might have cause to be worried. What you're describing is fairly common dog behavior.

Gaffero on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah sounds like dreaming to me and probably nothing to worry about, but if it really concerns you just ask at the next vet visit. My Chihuahua would sometimes have the spasim right before she would wake up with a paniced confused look, presumably a nightmare of some kind *shrug*.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's just the dog dreaming. Nothing to worry about, just something you should "awwwwww' at when she does it. :)

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]