As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Has the Wii bubble burst?

• Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2D isnt dead, but a retail release on a home console is a relatively risky prospect vs DS or downloadable.

Odin Sphere has only clocked 149k lifetime in the US, on that massive PS2 install base. That sprite work has got to be ridiculously expensive.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kenninator wrote: »
    I can't stand my Wii, but my family loves it. I chose to leave it home, while I brought my 360 to college.

There's just not enough of what I like. I don't really believe it's been as innovative or new as some seem to think. They've replaced button mashing with waggling. I mean, that's fun, but few developers seem to want to release anything serious on the system. When they do, it's usually worth a look, but otherwise it's crap, plain and simple. I knew I was done when Nintendo started remaking Gamecube games.

For real. You want me to buy Pikmin and Mario Tennis again for the waggle? Couldn't you at least make a half-ass effort like you did with Animal Crossing, where you at least pretend it's a new game?

Brym on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    2D isnt dead, but a retail release on a home console is a relatively risky prospect vs DS or downloadable.

Odin Sphere has only clocked 149k lifetime in the US, on that massive PS2 install base. That sprite work has got to be ridiculously expensive.

It went Greatest Hits, somehow.

I'd like to know how many people actually managed to finish that game. Easy to complete, it isn't.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The wii exists for Brawl for me.

I'm lucky I'm one of those that enjoyed Brawl, I can't imagine how disappointed some must have been.

Pretty much the reason I keep it around. :(

Pretty much the same for me. I'll probably be playing it less now that everyone here has stopped playing it.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Brym wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    I don't have a 360 because I play most of those games on my PC. I would regret getting a 360 thanks to my PC. Unless you can recommend a good 360 game from the last 9 months that I can't get on my PC, that has a 90+ rating on Metacritic, and is something that my "friends" tell me is worth it.

Not a winning bet.

GTA? Pc. Braid? PC. Fallout3? Don't like Western RPGs. Rock Band 2? Moot/all consoles. Left4Dead? PC. And that's it for games scoring ~90% or above.

Gears 2. But hey, you like the PC, more power to you. I like it too. This isn't a console war. I'm just saying I wish the Wii didn't suck so much ass.

And to be clear, I would love for another game of the quality of SMG or Metroid Prime 3 to come out on the Wii. I would love a Wii game to come out that had decent online play and didn't use friend codes. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm kidding with you. I love the 360 and its library, although it's true I do not feel the need for one. It's a great ssytem. I can see that. Without necessitating a listwarz that requires 90+ ratings and other arbitrary criteria.

Well, I'm not being dishonest when I say that I haven't felt the need to power on my Wii within the last 9 months. Believe it or not, I like being able to use electronics that I've spent hundreds of dollars on.

Brym on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    carmofin wrote: »
    Staxeon wrote: »
    dantree wrote: »
    All though my work at a retail store has been slow of late, we revieved a shipment of Wii's a couple of weeks ago, and we have signs all over the store stating as much, but no one is buying them, the Wii fits vanished after a week or so. Not sure if this is a burst bubble or not, but its the longest I have seen a shipment of Wii's last.

Economy drop, high unemployment rate, general inability of people to drop $$ on a gaming console now?

visit the link in the original post, in japan (of all places) the ps3 is outranking the wii easily for the first time ever.

unless dantree works for a retailer in japan what you just said really has nothing to do with what I'm replying to

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    dantree wrote: »
    All though my work at a retail store has been slow of late, we revieved a shipment of Wii's a couple of weeks ago, and we have signs all over the store stating as much, but no one is buying them, the Wii fits vanished after a week or so. Not sure if this is a burst bubble or not, but its the longest I have seen a shipment of Wii's last.

Economy drop, high unemployment rate, general inability of people to drop $$ on a gaming console now?

visit the link in the original post, in japan (of all places) the ps3 is outranking the wii easily for the first time ever.

unless dantree works for a retailer in japan what you just said really has nothing to do with what I'm replying to

indeed, the japanese economy is doing just fine ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's like I'm at the Zoo!

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    tl;dr but I have noticed that for about the past month, I haven't been to an electronics retailer that didn't have Wiis in plentiful stock.

UnbreakableVow on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For any other console it would be unheard of to even be talking about supply shortages 2 and a half years after launch.

Zek on
  • BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What's wrong with using Metacritic? I think just about every game they have in the green is a must own. I use them when it comes to movies and games. I don't have the time, money, friends who game etc. to scour every last detail about every game released. I trust them more than I do ANY person on a message board.

Anyway, I like the Wii, I just don't play it. I really wish Nintendo came out with more fleshed out versions of the individual wii sports. Maybe a very in depth baseball (no fucking Mario!!!) game using the same controls and especially a tennis game with a career mode etc. I know ea is tackling this with the new control device...but why did ea have to do it? I think Nintendo likes coming up with a fucking brilliant idea, brilliant games then kinda likes to sit back and just rake in the money without doing much more. I just look at games like Twilight Princess, Animal Crossing, Mario Party, Metroid, Mario Kart. These are essentially the same games that they have released on the Cube. Now they are releasing games they already released! Couldn't they throw us something new? Maybe some new levels? Oh well, as others have said, it is just a toy. There's no need to get worked up about it.

Broktune on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My problem with the Wii is that I am poor. As such I can only really afford to get the "killer apps", and it is a contest between it, the PS3, and the PC. There are many Wii games I'd love to own, but they'll just have to wait for a price drop/for it's turn to come to the top of my to-buy list.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • BearhardtBearhardt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I found myself fairly disappointed with the Wii after a little over a year of owning one. I suppose my crash was largely because, as a long-time Nintendo fan and a 25 year old who's life was changed forever by the acquisition of an NES in my youth, I was *very* eager for the Revolution/Wii.

I had a great amount of fun with it off the bat, but after half a year or so from release I was using it less and less. Smash Bros. was really the last game I had to have for it. When I, the die-hard Nintendo fan, lost my Xbox to an RCOD, I sold my Wii to purchase a second Xbox to have while the other was being repaired.

Did I miss out on some potentially good, low profile titles? Sure, probably... But I really feel that Nintendo isn't interested in the demo that grew up with them and are instead focusing on the new audience that is giving them gobs of money because gaming is suddenly accessible to them.

When VGCats posted this comic I sighed and nodded in agreement. Is it a bit cruel? Yes. Am I going to take up the torches and pitchforks of loud, aggressive fanboyism about it? No. But I will say that I agree. I'm no gramer, I'm no 24/7 Halo hound. I play plenty of casual games and games of all types. The Wii still holds no interest for me anymore.

And don't even get me started on the lack of an accessible online community.

Wii did start something big, however. I'll not deny that. Perhaps the next generation will rekindle my interest. Until then, at least the DS is still winning points in my book.

Bearhardt on
    Bearhardt.png
    Mark Bradley, Writer - The Blue Skittle
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Broktune wrote: »
    What's wrong with using Metacritic? I think just about every game they have in the green is a must own. I use them when it comes to movies and games. I don't have the time, money, friends who game etc. to scour every last detail about every game released. I trust them more than I do ANY person on a message board.

I just wanted to address this. I've worked as a video game reviewer and, well, MetaCritic's review aggregates don't tell the whole story. Reviews can and will be influenced by publishers. Usually, this creates a theoretical "floor" for a review score imposed by the site or magazine in order to keep a publisher happy. Reviews are not really indicative of whether or not games are quality.

People, peers that is, are great sources of info on awesome games. Back in 2004-2005, 2D games got some pretty mediocre reviews. That didn't stop my friends and I from sinking hundreds of hours into KOF2003 and Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Superman Returns got awful reviews (not undeservedly so, I might add) but flying about in that game is still crazy fun. My collection is packed with plenty of high-scoring games and plenty of low-scoring ones, because the truth of the matter is that fun can't be quantified.

Fun, when you really get down to it, is a binary value; a switch. Something's either fun or it isn't, and no amount of 90+ Metacritic scores will change that.

LibrarianThorne on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A lot of Wii games are low budget games and thus don't have the money to line reviewers pockets. A lot of those 70% area games would have been rated a lot higher if the reviewers' keyboards were greased a little. There's a lot of Wii games that at first glance looks like shovelware but then if you play it you find an enjoyable game underneath. My wife loves My Sims, for example, but apparently it's not even worth listing on metacritic so that must mean it's terrible, right?

Opty on
  • pyromoshpyromosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Svevin wrote: »
    I really don't understand the need to place blame on an inanimate object like the Wii.

Let's analyze the arguments that come up over and over again:

1. Too much shovelware and not enough quality games.
    First off, it's easy for anyone without bias to compose a list of at least half a dozen quality games. To me, half a dozen is a pretty good number of memorable quality games to start with. Second, why blame the wii, or the company that makes the wii, for an apparent lack of games. Last I checked, it was game companies such as Capcom, Square Enix, etc. that made the games. Why don't you bug them for the apparent lack of quality games they are making?

2. Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.
    You only need to look at RE4 Wii to see a flaw in this argument. If the game is good and, more importantly, advertised well it will sell. Monster Hunter 3 is pretty much guaranteed to be a platinum seller, at least in japan, and guess what? It's not made by Nintendo.

As for the article, who cares if the wii bubble may have burst? I personally bought the wii for the same reason I bought the gamecube. It's the only place to play Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and the other games that more often than not turn out to be great memorable games. Nintendo makes a small profit on every system sold, and they make money from their games division. They don't have the same "take a loss on systems and make up for it in accessory sales and game sales to make up for it" setup that Sony and Microsoft have. So even if the bubble were to burst, and all 3rd parties gave up their support, they'd still be turning a profit and would still be able to continue making the games I love. So honestly, who cares about these doomsday proclamations.

First off, I don't think the Wii's bubble has burst, unless you have a very narrow definition. If you define the "bubble" to be love and adoration of game enthusiasts (read: non-casual gamers who are to games what cinemaphiles are to films). The folks who know and can appreciate all the different genres, who know who recognize names like Shigeru Miyamoto, David Crane, John Carmack, Wil Wright, Richard Garrison, and Chris Roberts.

No, scratch that. The Wii's bubble hasn't burst for these folks, it's burst for the frat-boy types who don't want to play a game unless it involves shooting. The kind of folks that made the 360 top 10 sales list someone else posted what it is. If you're talking about being attractive to those folks, yes, the bubble has burst.

But I think there is a real danger for other gamers who take the pastime more seriously. I have never owned a non-nintendo system other than the PC. I can appreciate games on other systems, and I even own a few select PS2 games that were exclusive and just *that good* that I had to own them even if just to play on someone else's console.

But I, and other folks I've spoken too, don't like admitting it, but frankly, out Wiis collect a lot more dust than we'd like. There's just not a lot of compelling content. Yes, Zelda, Yes, Metroid. But I like single player games that one experiences. Depth of story, thought, or gameplay. There just isn't as much as I'd like there for me. I know I'm not alone.

If I want to play party games, the Wii's great. But I'm 29 years old, moved away from most of my friends, and rarely host people over for that kind of game play. I'm very, very happy for Nintendo's financial success, but I am the kind of person that was a die hard for Nintendo through all the slow years. Now I feel left out in the cold with the Wii's offerings.

To address Svevin's post, I disagree on a couple points:

1. The too much shovelware complaint is valid. And you are right, it's not directly Nintendo's fault. But that doesn't actually matter. It doesn't matter if it's Nintendo's fault, Capcom's, or the Illuminati's. The fact remains that it's the situation we find on retail shelves, and that sucks.

2. Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems. Uh, you cited one game. The Wii has Rayman, and probably Guitar Hero, the Cube had RE4, and one or two others. The N64 had Golden Eye. But with the exception of these blockbuster, mega hit titles, most third party games don't do very well financially on Nintendo systems. The Wii may be different because of it's massive install base, but it's not getting much that's B+ or A quality.

I totally agree with you on your final points. I have been Nintendo exclusive on consoles because of a simple philosophy. Nintendo makes amazing first party games. These are not available anywhere else. 99% of anything that's not published by Nintendo is available on the PC. I won't maintain two or three consoles for that remaining 1%.

But my feeling is that I'm quite excited for Nintendo's domination this round of the console wars. I just wished that it was translating into more deep and interesting games I'd like to play, and fewer vapid pop-the-bubbles type games that my mom, or my non-gamer girlfriend would like to play.

pyromosh on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Broktune wrote: »
    What's wrong with using Metacritic? I think just about every game they have in the green is a must own.

Because it doesn't work. For example, we all know that Nintendo DS is lovely system and has lots of excellent games that people would personally rate +90 on the scale. But if we look Metacritics average, only five games for the system have higher rating than 89, and only 41 have higher than 82 rating. X360, PS3, and most ironically, by end of this year, even Wii have more games rated over 82.

And you should learn to read and to do independent research on backgrounds sometimes instead of using half-assed articles as a gospel. :|
    pyromosh wrote: »
    1. The too much shovelware complaint is valid. And you are right, it's not directly Nintendo's fault. But that doesn't actually matter. It doesn't matter if it's Nintendo's fault, Capcom's, or the Illuminati's. The fact remains that it's the situation we find on retail shelves, and that sucks.

Too much sholvelware complaint is invalid. Or perhaps you had hissy fit always when you walked to the PS2 shelves.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • pyromoshpyromosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Too much sholvelware complaint is invalid. Or perhaps you had hissy fit always when you walked to the PS2 shelves.

No, I never owned a PS2. Read the rest of my post.

A poor signal to noise ratio is only okay when the library is sufficiently massive to make finding decent games easy anyway. The Wii doesn't seem to have that.

Things also unfolded differently with the NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2 (market leaders of their respective generations). With all those other consoles, they launched, had a smallish library with some high quality (for the day) titles. More high quality titles, increased popularity, and only once popularity reached fever pitch did the shovelware development houses come on board. By then, you could find 10 great SHMUPS, or 5 A+ RPGs.

The Wii, on the other hand, had shovelware from like day 1. And yes, there are the Metroid Prime 3s, and Brawls. But they are not representative of the overall quality level on the console as a whole. I suspect it will get better, but I haven't picked up a game since Brawl. Keep in mind, if a game's on the PC, and it doesn't have a compelling reason for me to choose Wii over PC, I'll get it for the PC (I'm looking at you, World of Goo).

It's just disappointing is all, to see Nintendo succeed, now, and have it be because their system no longer caters to our tastes first. But it's reality, and as long as there's *something* worth playing, I'll be happy.

pyromosh on
    edited March 2009
    It's just disappointing is all, to see Nintendo succeed, now, and have it be because their system no longer caters to our tastes first. But it's reality, and as long as there's *something* worth playing, I'll be happy.

Only reason why it did so in the past was that nobody wants to put shovelware on losers console.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh God damn it, I'm with you OP. The Wii Bubble bursting is such bullshit. You know their warranty doesn't cover that shit. You send off your Wii and they're like "Oh, the Bubble broke, $99 TO FIX IT PLZ"

Fuck that shit, man.

theSquid on
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sales may be slowing slightly, but when the motion plus add-on comes out with all the titles using it, I'm sure the system will go back to 'sold out everywhere' status.

Personally, I haven't touched my Wii since last month. But it is still a worthwhile purchase, because lets face it, Resi 4 on Wii is like crack to me.

Rotam on
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Nintendo will have something cool for Christmas. They always seem to.

2008 says hi.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    People still honestly give a shit about the Wii?

Really?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • BearhardtBearhardt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

If I want to play party games, the Wii's great. But I'm 29 years old, moved away from most of my friends, and rarely host people over for that kind of game play. I'm very, very happy for Nintendo's financial success, but I am the kind of person that was a die hard for Nintendo through all the slow years. Now I feel left out in the cold with the Wii's offerings.

Hear, hear.

Bearhardt on
    Bearhardt.png
    Mark Bradley, Writer - The Blue Skittle
    edited March 2009
    Fallout wrote: »

Really?

Yeah, imagine. Are you pissed about it?

Hint: This isn't SE++.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bearhardt wrote: »

Hear, hear.

Word.

It's like... cool, the 278th game built around the wiimote. Or Mario Party 45. Or Super Puppy Bubblegum: The Candylandening. Or, ooh, a brain game!

That's cool, Nintendo. But I have played video games before. I am not a toddler or the wife of a World War 2 veteran. You wanna make real video games again, cool, maybe I'll even try them. Until then, fuck off.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited March 2009

Really?

Yeah, imagine. Are you pissed about it?

Hint: This isn't SE++.

No. I know this is an alien concept, but I don't have strong feelings about video game hardware products.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

2008 says hi.

Oh that's right, I forgot, Animal Crossing is hopelessly uncool.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2009
    That's cool, Nintendo. But I have played video games before. I am not a toddler or the wife of a World War 2 veteran. You wanna make real video games again, cool, maybe I'll even try them. Until then, fuck off.

Quote above describes specific kind of gamer that I don't really like. He tries to organize everything into categories that suit his limited world view. He likes to tell others how games that he plays are real, and hardcore, while belittling any game that he doesn't like. He is also likely to call to consoles that he doesn't like toys, like his favorite console would be something else. He also swears as a attempt to sound cool.
    No. I know this is an alien concept, but I don't have strong feelings about video game hardware products.

Your post showed quite opposite.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aren't you the guy who talked about having 'serious responisbilites' and 'a life', if we're going to try and analyze people. Because, uh, that says reams.

Leitner on
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Aren't you the guy who talked about having 'serious responisbilites' and 'a life', if we're going to try and analyze people. Because, uh, that says reams.

Yeah, I should be more careful. :lol:

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bearhardt wrote: »

Hear, hear.

Word.

It's like... cool, the 278th game built around the wiimote. Or Mario Party 45. Or Super Puppy Bubblegum: The Candylandening. Or, ooh, a brain game!

Please grace us with more of your wisdom.

We've been doing it wrong this entire time. Who knew!

Guek on
    edited March 2009

Quote above describes specific kind of gamer that I don't really like. He tries to organize everything into categories that suit his limited world view. He likes to tell others how games that he plays are real, and hardcore, while belittling any game that he doesn't like. He is also likely to call to consoles that he doesn't like toys, like his favorite console would be something else. He also swears as a attempt to sound cool.

asperger-king.gif

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well if you feel the need to convince people that you really do have such an awesome life, and like serious responsibilities man, it comes off as hella insecure. Makes you sound like a middle manager for McDonalds.

Leitner on
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Well if you feel the need to convince people that you really do have such an awesome life, and like serious responisibilities man, it comes off as hella insecure.

*Shrugs* I didn't say I have awesome life. I just stated that I so have much else to do that gaming is slipping on the priority list, and I can't spent 100 hours on single game. Having full-time job already eliminates lots of spare time, and that is hardly awesome, but it is life. And I would say that trying to help poor and destitute to improve their lives is serious responsibility. Especially here where sudden unemployment too often leads into alcoholism, depression, and worse. And I'm still insecure in many ways, I don't deny that.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I forgot that "hardcore" gamers can't be happy with the Wii... but I like my Wii, and find a lot of games on it to be good.

I also enjoy some of those "casual" games. The ones that were well executed...

...where do I turn in my gamer badge? Apparently I'm not good enough for the dumb elitist crowd that makes me ashamed to say I'm a gamer in public because I might be associated with them.

Djiem on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

asperger-king.gif[IMG][/img]

Are you fucking serious? Words. Use them, you imbecile. If you feel that you lack the mental facilities necessary to properly defend your opinion with reasoned arguments, get the fuck out. If you feel that the topic at hand is too trivial for men of your great intellectual standing to seriously address, scurry off and continue to coddle your own ego elsewhere.

This isn't so much a case of this thread being SERIOUS BUSINESS as it is you being a fuckin idiot.

Guek on
  • DonaldRumsfeldDonaldRumsfeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

2008 says hi.

Animal Crossing was released in 2002

DonaldRumsfeld on
    111111A.png
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

2008 says hi.

Animal Crossing is like that girl from high school who used to be hot, smart and cool and everyone knew she'd be going places in life. But at the ten-year reunion you learn she still lives in town and has the same job she got back when she was a senior. It seems like she hasn't changed one bit, aside from being older. It's the same thing at the twenty-year reunion. She still has her groupies but everyone else is kind of sad and disappointed that she never made anything of herself.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    asperger-king.gif

Ha, I was almost going to post that when I started reading your posts.

Seriously.

Hey elkatas, am I right to assume that gaming book you were working on isn't coming out anymore?

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
This discussion has been closed.