As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ratchet & Clank] Thread - Megecorp has your interests at heart.

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH2dM_LLKJg]Science is Fun!

In the real world, "You know if you're an engineer if you have no life and can prove it mathematically."

Military Engineers. I'm trying to become one. Many video games have them.

Some use a pistol to fire at legs to stop movement, or arms to stop attacks.
Some fight off parasitic aliens set off by Scientologists with mining tools and poor posture.
Some solve problems with a gun, and bigger problems by building and maintaining bigger guns.
Some disable mines and restore your tank's HP with nothing but a big fucking pair of pliers.
Some are key for capturing buildings and creating new ones.

But do you recaaaaaalllll, the greatest engineers of them aaaaaaaaaaalllll? :whistle:

ratchet_and_clank_size_matters_1.jpg
Behold! Ratchet and Clank!

This platformer has always coming back for more with each installment to the franchise. I always prefer it over it's cousin Jak and Daxter.

It's key features are a shitload of guns, and silly humor that makes me laugh to this day.

Stolen from ze wikinator
RaCbox.jpg
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet & Clank was released on November 4, 2002 in North America and Europe for the PlayStation 2. In the game, Chairman Drek plans to take pieces from other planets across the Solana Galaxy and create one new planet for his people, the Blarg whose planet has become polluted and uninhabitable. Aside from the two protagonists, the game also introduces Captain Qwark, who appears in the following games. The game introduced many of the features, such as item collecting, weapons and gadgets, etc. that have become the staple of the series in following games.

Ratchet_and_clank_gc_image.jpg
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando (2003)
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (known as Ratchet & Clank: Locked & Loaded in Europe, Australia and New Zealand) was released on November 11, 2003 in North America for the PlayStation 2. This game was the first to introduce the 'leveling' system that appears in every other game. Rather than collecting gold bolts to upgrade weapons to more powerful, Gold Varieties, Weapons have nanobot technology that, after gaining enough experience, causes them to evolve into a more powerful form with new abilities. These nanobots also apply to Ratchet, and his health will increase once his own personal experience rises high enough. Going Commando also introduced regular strafing to gameplay, whereas Ratchet could only strafe with the thruster pack, and he would only hover in the first game.

(Also, another sweet feature was that if you had a save file of the first game, you got to keep your weapons.)

ratchet-and-clank.jpg
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (Ratchet & Clank 3 in Europe and Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal in Australia) is a platform game developed by Insomniac Games and published by Sony. It is the third installment in the Ratchet & Clank series. It was released in North America on November 2, 2004 and was met with critical acclaim, earning an average review score of 91% at Metacritic.[1] Shortly after it was released in Japan on November 26, the first volume of the Ratchet & Clank manga, drawn by Shinbo Nomura, was released. The gameplay is similar to previous games in the series but introduces new features such as a refined control system, a larger amount of weapons and a deeper upgrade system. It follows Ratchet and Clank's adventure through a fictional universe to defeat a robotic villain, Dr. Nefarious, who intends to destroy all organic life. Characters such as Dr. Nefarious and Sasha, a Cazar starship captain who helps Ratchet throughout the game, are introduced, and a number of characters return from Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando.

(Again, your previous save files apply. From both games. Who loves ya? Insomniac loves ya. <3 )

(I have not played Deadlocked)
box-l.jpg
Ratchet: Deadlocked

Ratchet: Deadlocked (titled Ratchet: Gladiator in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand) was released on October 25, 2005 in North America for the PlayStation 2. Deadlocked deviates from the previous installments of the series by reducing the platforming and puzzle elements and focusing on the combat aspects and reducing Clank to a non-playable side character. Also, cheats became less comedic and more cinematic, including weather and color options. In Deadlocked, Ratchet, Clank and Al are captured and forced to compete in an underground sport called Dreadzone, run by the media mogul Gleeman Vox. For the first time in the series, Clank is not a playable character nor accompanies Ratchet on any of the levels. Ratchet earns a nemesis in the form of Dreadzone champion Ace Hardlight, who has embraced killing other heroes as a way of life. Deadlocked supports online play and a cooperative mode.

SO DRAMATIC
rachet.jpg

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (known as Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction in most PAL regions) is a PlayStation 3 video game developed by Insomniac Games, released on October 23, 2007 in North America and on November 9, 2007 in Europe. It is the 7th installment (although it was the sixth to be released) in the official Ratchet & Clank canon and the first PlayStation 3 installment as well as the first installment for the new "Future" sub-saga in the series. It was also one of the first PlayStation 3 games to support Dual Shock 3 rumble straight from the disc. Unlike some previous Ratchet & Clank titles Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Ratchet: Deadlocked and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction does not feature online multiplayer. This in itslf is odd, due to the fact that the Playstation 3 has a more unified online service.

I also need to give props to the spaceship segments in Tools and in Up Your Arsenal, because they are fucking sweet.

*Many budding engineers were harmed during the production of this thread*

Any other fans of this series?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The games rock beyond belief, and I would kill a man to see them become unhinged from Sony and do multi-console releases.

yalborap on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Up Your Arsenal is quite possibly my favorite PS2 game ever.

One Thousand Cables on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I missed the PS2 games and started with Ratchet and Clank: ToD and Quest for Booty. They're still the most plain fun games I've played. I got Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank on PSP, but they just don't seem right. Like, they're fun, but they are missing something. I really want to see what Insomniac do with the next PS3 game.
    yalborap wrote: »
    The games rock beyond belief, and I would kill a man to see them become unhinged from Sony and do multi-console releases.

Since they are Sonys IP, I wouldn't count on it.

-Loki- on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    These games are...

...wait for it...

Qwarktastic!

Man I love that word!

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No mention of the DLC for Future or is that coming at the weekend?

I've always been a fan of Ratchet and Clank, it's just simple cartoony fun with some good platforming sections and great weapon variety. I think the new episodic thing they're trying now could be really good for the series, as it lends itself to shorter bursts like that, rather than some grand epic. My only complaint with the fist one was that the weapon variety seemed a little...lacking.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hell yea R&C these games own so hard. (I never got Deadlocked tho because I didn't enjoy the online.)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Italax wrote: »
    No mention of the DLC for Future or is that coming at the weekend?

I've always been a fan of Ratchet and Clank, it's just simple cartoony fun with some good platforming sections and great weapon variety. I think the new episodic thing they're trying now could be really good for the series, as it lends itself to shorter bursts like that, rather than some grand epic. My only complaint with the fist one was that the weapon variety seemed a little...lacking.

Actually, I'm enjoying the epic scope of these games so far.

How great are those establishing shots at the start of every planet? Each one is wallpaper worthy. :D

My only complaint is hitting a point where you have to grind for bolts and XP. This is rare but it was a hassle for me in Commando and, even worse, that sewer level in Arsenal, which particularly sucked ass.

Cantido on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've only played Future, but damn is it a sweet game. I keep saying this but it's like playing a Pixar movie. It's gorgeous, brilliantly animated and has those several layers of humour so both kids and adults can enjoy it. Can't wait for the next installment.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited March 2009
    Reznik wrote: »
    I've only played Future, but damn is it a sweet game. I keep saying this but it's like playing a Pixar movie. It's gorgeous, brilliantly animated and has those several layers of humour so both kids and adults can enjoy it. Can't wait for the next installment.

The humor needs more love.

The bad guy in Arsenal was a robot who hated all organic life, but was Clank's biggest fan for his Secret Agent Clank movies.

You got to kill a robot Brittney Spears. <3
    Who would have thought she was evil? She always seemed so innocent.
    Except for that one video...with the... mmm chicka mmm chicka mmm chicka mmm chicka mmmm!

Cantido on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »

The humor needs more love.

The bad guy in Arsenal was a robot who hated all organic life, but was Clank's biggest fan for his Secret Agent Clank movies.

You got to kill a robot Brittney Spears. <3

The fake music video in that one was absolutely hilarious. Especially with the later on dance-fight.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ratchet and Clank is my favorite non-Nintendo console series.
    I am so sad that I don't have a PS3 yet. I haven't even played the new one.
    All the dialogue is so good, and the platforming + shooting combination is perfect (although I also loved Deadlocked, which was pretty much all shooting).
    The best part about these games, though, is that they actually get better the second and third times through. I must have beaten UYA and Going Commando 5 times each, and I always have fun.
    They have also aged very well. Please go buy them if you have a PS2. You won't be let down.

Edit: Oh yeah, the humor. The humor just kept getting better and better, and like someone said, it has a good combination of stuff kids and adults will think is funny. The third one had the most memorable characters for me, especially Dr. Nefarious and Lawrence.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Who would have thought she was evil? She always seemed so innocent.
    Except for that one video...with the... mmm chicka mmm chicka mmm chicka mmm chicka mmmm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4PVVY5_m9k

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, the R&C games are the one thing I miss about not having a PS2 anymore.

And the only reason I've ever thought about getting a PS3. D:

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You forgot Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty, the DLC released last year.

But yeah, I dig the series. So much personality, so much fun.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still have a PS2, and I still play them. I think I've completed all of the PS2 games (minus the PSP ports) three or four times. They have great weapons, good platforming, and okay vehicles and puzzles. And they parcel out new abilities and weapons with delightful frequency.

I got a friend to play through Deadlocked co-op recently, and we had a lot of fun. Just thinking about the Scorpion Flail makes me want to equip a Shock Mod and start crushing robots.

KA-BLAM!

Blain on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    speaking of which Quest for Booty is on sale for $10 at the moment

Ah_Pook on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love Ratchet and Clank, it is easily my favourite series on the PS2. The games were just so much fun. Sadly, my PS2 is long gone as are my saves and such from them, but I loved to fully upgrade my weapons and get their super versions and such. I faintly remember the R.H.I.N.O (is that it's name?) from the first R&C. I think I'm going to have to re-buy a PS2 and this series at some point. It was just so excellent.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    edited March 2009
    R.Y.N.O.

Rip Ya a New One

Blain on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The RYNO is in all R&C games, is it not?

-Loki- on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was into the Xbox, and never had a PS2, but I've meaning to pick one up so I can play the games I missed out on. Ratchet and Clank are on that list for sure.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm actually playing what I consider to be the "big 3" of the ps2 right now. Getting them all for around 5 bux doesn't hurt either. I got 100% without any guides on Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper, and I'm playing my way through Ratchet and Clank right now. Some of these gold bolts are giving me a headache! Can't wait to get to the sequels (that goes for the other games too!)

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
    edited March 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The RYNO is in all R&C games, is it not?

It is.

Blain on
    edited March 2009
    The level with pirates is great. There's a tour boat ride straight out of the original Pirates of the Carribean ride <3

Cantido on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Blain wrote: »
    R.Y.N.O.

Rip Ya a New One

Ah yes, I specifically remember getting it in the first one because it took me so long to get in the first place and then it was just so cool. Admittedly I was much younger so I may have just been dazzled by the explosions but god damn it, it was cool.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
    edited March 2009
    so they don't just throw money at you at the end of the first one? since i'm playing it now i saw the RYNO cost a shit-ton and i was wondering if i had to grind all that out

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Gunstar wrote: »
    I'm actually playing what I consider to be the "big 3" of the ps2 right now. Getting them all for around 5 bux doesn't hurt either. I got 100% without any guides on Jak and Daxter, and Sly Cooper, and I'm playing my way through Ratchet and Clank right now. Some of these gold bolts are giving me a headache! Can't wait to get to the sequels (that goes for the other games too!)

ratchet and clank 2 and 3 are incredible, sadly i cant say the same for the jak and sly sequels. the sly ones are worth playing at least, but they still cut out most of what i liked about the first game. the jak sequels... yea... i dont know what happened there.

Ah_Pook on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I believe it was Stunderwear, not Thunderwear. Ah, that was a great scene, since Ratchet did his funny gloatful hand gesture when he announced it.

Edit: Yup. Straight from the Ratchet & Clank Wiki:
    Stunderwear was an electic shocking undergarment invented by Ratchet. It apparently sold well on the planet Umbris, according to Ratchet. Its name was a play on "underwear" and "stun" - a word associated with electricity.

I've only played Up Your Arsenal (since it had the funniest title) and Tools (since I needed something else besides Rock Band to have an excuse for spending 400 dollars on a console), but they've been awesome.

Mx. Quill on
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Gunstar wrote: »

ratchet and clank 2 and 3 are incredible, sadly i cant say the same for the jak and sly sequels. the sly ones are worth playing at least, but they still cut out most of what i liked about the first game. the jak sequels... yea... i dont know what happened there.

I dunno, I liked what I played of Jak 2. I've heard of it's incredible difficulty spikes but I'm totally down. Sly 2 so far is really good. I guess I'm trudging through the first R+C because the sequels introduce things that I like, ie: strafing.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
  • BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ratchet and clank is the reason that I will someday own a PS3.

Bantry on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bantry wrote: »
    Same here. I played Ratchet & Clank 1-3 back to back, and they were amazing. Deadlocked...not so much.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited March 2009
    I believe it was Stunderwear, not Thunderwear. Ah, that was a great scene, since Ratchet did his funny gloatful hand gesture when he announced it.

Edit: Yup. Straight from the Ratchet & Clank Wiki:
    Stunderwear was an electic shocking undergarment invented by Ratchet. It apparently sold well on the planet Umbris, according to Ratchet. Its name was a play on "underwear" and "stun" - a word associated with electricity.

I've only played Up Your Arsenal (since it had the funniest title) and Tools (since I needed something else besides Rock Band to have an excuse for spending 400 dollars on a console), but they've been awesome.

Wow, that's even better. Thread title changed.

Cantido on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I missed the PS2 games and started with Ratchet and Clank: ToD and Quest for Booty. They're still the most plain fun games I've played. I got Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank on PSP, but they just don't seem right. Like, they're fun, but they are missing something.
    Size Matters was okay (the weapon design needed work, it was far too hard to level some of them, for not enough reward. Also, dying resulting in a scene restart with your ammo still depleted from the last attempt was retarded), but Agent Clank, much like the previous spin-off (Gladiator/Deadlock)? Meh. Couldn't finish either.

Glal on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    speaking of which Quest for Booty is on sale for $10 at the moment
    I find myself $10 poorer and could not be happier unless it would have also been Friday. What? It was? Hooray!

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    edited March 2009
    Grr...I havent beaten Tools yet and I have Electrical Circuits to study.

Cantido on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bantry wrote: »
    Same here. I played Ratchet & Clank 1-3 back to back, and they were amazing. Deadlocked...not so much.

I'll agree Deadlocked was a bit of a stumble for the series. No real platforming, the weapons were a bit dull, and the story was all "hey I'm dark now" instead of the humor the series is known for.

But yeah, when I finally get a PS3 I'm more excited to finally be able to play the new Ratchet than MGS4.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oddly enough, I actually liked Deadlocked for what it was. Playing it online was surprisingly fun, too.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ratchet and Clank: Future is what originally sold me on the PS3 over the 360!

...I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Either way, it's an excellent game, and one of the prettiest games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Didgeridoo on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually enjoyed Jak 2 and 3 a lot, but they're wildly inconsistent in terms of difficulty. 2 moreso than 3. I still definitely recommend playing them.

Food on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I actually like Jak 2 and 3 better then the first. The first was really really easy I 100% cleared the game in somewhere around a weekend if I am not mistaken. The Sly games I just can't get into. I don't really like the characters so it makes the game something of a chore to play. Is there any word of a ps3 Jak or a new R&C?

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time announced today for the PS3, to be released this Fall. It's currently unknown if it's a full retail disc or another downloadable game.

Mx. Quill on