As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shoulda put a ring of protection +1 on it. (Table top games)

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I confess I have never played a rogue.

Squall on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I mean, I do play my rogues as free-willed, devil-may-care, gimme-da-cash, fuck-da-police kind of dudes, but you know, there's always a place for burly yes-men

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So long as you're not the obnoxious dude who steals from the party every chance it's a lot of fun. One of the guys in my group would almost always volunteer to do the equipment shopping, because he'd use his mad charisma to get the stuff at a lower rate, and pocket the remaining gold. Called it a service fee.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2009
    Ranger is just so temping in 4e

Squall on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Squall wrote: »
    Ranger is just so temping in 4e

a ranger and a ranged rogue in the same party is fucking devastating

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hey, metz, Martial Power (and the character builder) have a third Rogue tactic. Ruthless Ruffian, proficient with clubs and maces, you can use these weapons with Sneak Attack and any rogue powers that have the Light Blade keyword. If you use a club or mace with a power that has the Rattling keyword, add your strength modifier to the damage roll. Might fit that character concept.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's rad.

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2009
    Did they ever come up with a way to handle subdual damage in 4e?

Like, if I wanted to just knock a dude out, rather than kill him, how would it play out? Could I use the pommel of my sword to crack him across the temple or what?

Abracadaniel on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think it's just a DM call. No real rules, just hey I wanna smack that guy with this attack instead of pierce his spleen.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited March 2009
    Righteous brand or twin-strike on a fighter would be pretty rad as well, it'd just be hard to build a good half-elf fighter.

Hell, half-elf cleric with twin strike would be good too.

Squall on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also half-orcs seem a lot less like the bastard rape-babbies this time around. I like that. It may be a strategy to avoid offending people, but they seem a bit more deep or something I dunno.

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2009
    Also: is orc no longer a language? Is that why half-orcs dont have that as a base language?

Squall on
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    maybe they got tired of rape and wanted meaningful relationships with human and elf women

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    edited March 2009
    If I were to make a guess, it's cause most half-orcs aren't raised by their orc parents, they'd more likely be killed for being 'weaker.'

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2009
    The thing is, why does it make more sense that they speak giant?

Squall on
    edited March 2009
    I dunno, I haven't read the PHB2

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2009
    There's actually this whole character background thing and a couple of the half-orc ones involve full-blooded orc tribes and such and bein' raised by them.

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2009
    Ah, in PHB I it has a list of languages and who speaks them. Giants, orcs, and orgres all speak giant.

Squall on
    edited March 2009
    They probably did that to avoid the problems of the Forgotten Realms in 3e, where there's like 300 different regional languages and alphabets.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2009
    it cuts back on the haha you can't communicate with anyone other than those in your home town

Squall on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it cuts back on the haha you can't communicate with anyone other than those in your home town
    Wow anyone who DMs like that is a dick.

Anybody else still playing 3.5? I am playing a campaign with some friends every other week and we just can't get over some of the dumb changes in 4e.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Like what?

Squall on
    edited March 2009
    WotC should release their character generator for retail. Only make it updated and stuff.

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2009
    Like what?
    Mostly nitpick stuff like how much easier it is to back out of combat without taking an attack of opportunity.

It just seemed to us that there were too many abusable changes that were made to make the game easier, but we never tested it in an actual game, so maybe it's unwarranted.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    WotC should release their character generator for retail. Only make it updated and stuff.

It's available to DnD Insider subscribers

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Yeah, that's true. But man don't you have to continue the subscription to use the thing?

edit: Like I couldn't just download it and then tell them to eat a dick?

Metzger Meister on
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    Like what?
    Mostly nitpick stuff like how much easier it is to back out of combat without taking an attack of opportunity.

It just seemed to us that there were too many abusable changes that were made to make the game easier, but we never tested it in an actual game, so maybe it's unwarranted.

Pretty sure you still eat an Opportunity Attack (Attack of Opportunity, whatever), unless you shift (5-foot step) out of combat. I mean, I can understand wanting to play 3.5 still, the two are very different, but that's an odd thing to nitpick.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited March 2009

Yeah, that's true. But man don't you have to continue the subscription to use the thing?

It's, like $5 a month, and yeah you could, but it probably wouldn't stay updated with the newest books and magazine articles and whatnot.

Abracadaniel on
    edited March 2009
    Like what?

I haven't played it yet either, but the idea of the different powers makes your characters much more interesting every turn. Low level characters in 3.5 ranged from "I hit it with my greatsword again" to "I hit it with magic missile again". In that respect, I got very tired of low level 3.5 campaigns very quickly, and shifted to white wolf games.

Listening to the D&D podcasts has rekindled my interest in this setting, and I hope sometime Ill convince my group to give it a whirl. I may even try to make my own campaign (something which I have yet to attempt)

Squall on
    edited March 2009

Nope, you can subscribe for a month, update the builder to whatever it's at then, download a bunch of dragon issues, and then unsubscribe and keep them. I'd suggest waiting until they update the builder with phb2 stuff before doing that though.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited March 2009
    :| Hm. Once I get a job I might as well subscribe...

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2009
    Like what?

Pretty sure you still eat an Opportunity Attack (Attack of Opportunity, whatever), unless you shift (5-foot step) out of combat. I mean, I can understand wanting to play 3.5 still, the two are very different, but that's an odd thing to nitpick.
    Especially considering that Fighters and Warlords and whatnot all have powers and abilities to counter monsters 'just running away'

Worst comes to worst, just have your Eladrin Rogue Fey Step (25ft teleport) behind them and STAB STAB STAB.

Abracadaniel on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    boneliness

So whenever the fuck WoTC gets their shit together and comes out with a working Virtual Tabletop, anybody wanna play?

Yessssssssss

Also I love the PHB2, and I am totally dualing my Warlock into a Sorcerer when I get the chance

Trying to convince Rachel to take some Invoker powers too

Moriveth on
  • MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck Faerun and your feywild and shadowfell and other such tomfoolery.

It's all about the Games Workshop universe.

WAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Morgenstern on
    “Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley
    edited March 2009
    I think what he was referring to is that a good multitude of at will and encounter powers allow you to attack and shift, then still have your move action available.

Squall on
    edited March 2009
    Also I would be down like the DOW for some virtual table-topping.

Metzger Meister on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, I really want to get Open Grave, if just for the new undead types. I love that the progression for "Brain in a Jar" goes 'Broken Brain in a Jar' 'Brain in a Jar' 'Armored Brain In A Jar'.

Moriveth on
    edited March 2009
    I think what he was referring to is that a good multitude of at will and encounter powers allow you to attack and shift, then still have your move action available.

I suppose, but most of those I find more useful for shifting twice so you can set up flanking. Unless you are a pansy elf archer ranger, but then them running away is nothing new.

Kane Red Robe on
    edited March 2009
    Brain in a jar in a tank.

Metzger Meister on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, that's it exactly. It appeared to me that all you had to do to cheat an attack of opportunity was claim that you were shifting out five feet and then complete your move.

Overall there just seemed to be less consequence for making shitty decisions in combat.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.