As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC gaming as its own worst enemy

Nova_CNova_C I have the needThe need for speedRegistered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
I remember a thread recently that talked about the depression in pc gaming, but I couldn't find it. What I remember was that console gaming was being blamed for the reduction in the linked article, but I'm not so sure this is true.

In my own case, having a single Nintendo 64, then adding a Playstation, the Gameboy Color, then PS2, then Gamecube didn't affect the rate at which I purchased PC games in the least. I would buy at least one every month, usually two or three.

But ever since I started playing World of Warcraft, I've purchased two PC games in the past two years, not including WoW or Burning Crusade.

I think that the rise of the MMO is making the PC market shrink. People are buying fewer games because one game can last them two years before having to purchase an expansion. They also (usually) have to pay a fee to continue playing that game.

Whereas consoles are still very much like PC gaming used to be with the games that only last 10-60 hours playtime, so it's easier to sell more games.

What do you guys think? Am I an anomaly, or typical? Is the MMO making the PC market more intensely competitive and cutthroat by reducing the number of games that people play, or is it ushering in a new golden age by making games that people play for long periods of time and play with many people instead of a few days after purchase, putting it away for months and months?

Nova_C on

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    People who say PC gaming is dying or becoming stale needs to look at the list of games coming out in 2007.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221

Case closed!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been waiting for a pc game to pull me away from WoW. It hasn't happened since WoW launched though. Sure, there's been a game here and there that will steal a week of my time... but then right back to the Horde I go. It doesn't help that all my friends play WoW exclusively...

In fact the Wii is the only thing since WoW launched that has consistantly pulled my friends outta Azeroth.

EDIT: I guess Battlefield 2142 actually got a healthy amount of play from me and a couple WoW buddies... but it didn't last all that long.

Reality on
  • AHH!AHH! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seeing how a part of PC gaming is from mods makes the list a bit bigger.

AHH! on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If anything is making the PC market shrink it's the ease with which one can game on a console. I know that 360 game will work when I bring it home and pop it in my 360. As a bonus, I get to play from my couch.

When I bring home a PC game, there's always that nervous feeling right after installation but before I start the game where I'm not sure if it will work. Do I have the right drivers? Can I play at decent settings? Are all my components compatible with the game? Also, no couch.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hell for me, its just lack of titles

I mean how many times do developers expect me to purchase a WWII FPS?

I used to be a heavy PC gamer.

All 3 Warcrafts, and Starcraft
    Alice
    Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn, thru Red Alert 2.
    UT
    Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam (mostly played with DC mod)
    Rise of Nations
    Evil Genius

I could go on, but really, name me one solid title that has been release on the PC, that isn't an MMO, in the past 6 months?

I am looking forward to Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars, but other than that, I just don't see enough PC games coming out that attempt to break the mold of the World War II shooter, or the Fantasy setting MMO.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I played WoW for 3 months, got to 60, saw the first horde ragnaros attempt on my server and then quit. I tried going back for burning crusade but couldn't make it past level 11. In the mean time I've played more PC games than I can mention. I'm not saying WoW isn't fun or that it hasn't sucked up a lot of potential buyers of other games. But I am saying anyone who has fallen victim to this is missing out. I did the same thing with EQ and inevitably missed out on a lot of games that were actually more fun than the time I spent playing EQ. I think a lot of WoW players are going to realize that later on too.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    is it cheaper for companies to produce games for the pc?
    i see a whole lot more crap-ware being put out on store shelves for pc than i remember. just no-name generic racing games and puzzles. with the exception of that uk phoenix games company, i dont see a lot of crap-tastic console-based production companies.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited February 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    If anything is making the console market shrink it's the ease with which one can game on a console. I know that 360 game will work when I bring it home and pop it in my 360. As a bonus, I get to play from my couch.

When I bring home a PC game, there's always that nervous feeling right after installation but before I start the game where I'm not sure if it will work. Do I have the right drivers? Can I play at decent settings? Are all my components compatible with the game? Also, no couch.

I've never, ever felt unease installing a pc game. But then I've always had a decent computer. I have been let down by a game that didn't run properly on my rig, but it is nowhere near common enough for me to feel uneasy everytime I install something. The last game I can think of was AOE3 because it refused to install on Windows 2000 simply because of how they coded the installer. Had to go online and find out that W2000 users had to do a network install just to play the game, retarded.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    i see a whole lot more crap-ware being put out on store shelves for pc than i remember. just no-name generic racing games and puzzles. with the exception of that uk phoenix games company, i dont see a lot of crap-tastic console-based production companies.

There isn't any license required to make a game for a PC. Because of that, smaller companies can take chances easier. Infact, this is one of the reasons PC gaming will never completely die. Even if every big developer went to consoles, it would leave an opening for smaller developers to take risks on the PC platform that they couldn't afford anywhere else. PC gaming is full of people taking risks or modders becoming real developers.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I think that the rise of the MMO is making the PC market shrink. People are buying fewer games because one game can last them two years before having to purchase an expansion. They also (usually) have to pay a fee to continue playing that game.

This did not apply to strategy gamers last year. We got Company of Heroes, GalCiv2, Civ4 stuff, Medieval 2, a Warhammer expansion, a Battle of Middle Earth, and even more stuff I can't remember.

It's more that some genres are in a slump or moving more to consoles, like action titles. Single player PC RPGs have pretty much only been supported by Oblivion and Bioware for a few years now outside of indie stuff.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, hey, fast replies.

Another think I thought of as I was reading the replies is, I'm looking forward to Spore and Quake Wars. But I need a new computer to run them as my desktop died and minimum settings on WoW is the upper limit of what my laptop can do. So I'm looking at a $1500 price tag on a lot of those games. Perhaps another problem with PC gaming is the pace at which people need to replace their machines? It took about 2 - 3 years before my desktop stopped being able to run new games and it was near top end when I purchased it. Consoles have a much smaller investment and a larger window of use.

Nova_C on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    Hell for me, its just lack of titles

I mean how many times do developers expect me to purchase a WWII FPS?

I used to be a heavy PC gamer.

All 3 Warcrafts, and Starcraft
    Alice
    Command and Conquer Tiberium Dawn, thru Red Alert 2.
    UT
    Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam (mostly played with DC mod)
    Rise of Nations
    Evil Genius

I could go on, but really, name me one solid title that has been release on the PC, that isn't an MMO, in the past 6 months?

I am looking forward to Command and Conquer Tiberium Wars, but other than that, I just don't see enough PC games coming out that attempt to break the mold of the World War II shooter, or the Fantasy setting MMO.
    What was the last PC WWII shooter released?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    skace wrote: »

There isn't any license required to make a game for a PC. Because of that, smaller companies can take chances easier. Infact, this is one of the reasons PC gaming will never completely die. Even if every big developer went to consoles, it would leave an opening for smaller developers to take risks on the PC platform that they couldn't afford anywhere else. PC gaming is full of people taking risks or modders becoming real developers.

Exactly. Although it looks like the consoles are trying in this area (Microsoft in particular), currently the PC is the #1 area for indie developers. No need to worry about getting your game or company approved by Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft, just grab some development tools and go for the gold!

I think it's interesting that my two favorite games of the year so far - Heavy Weapon: Atomic Tank & Alien Shooter: Vengeance - were both developed by teams that only had around a dozen people or so total. Viva la independent developer!

RainbowDespair on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    WHY wrote: »

COD3?

LewieP on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i do miss adventure games. and i think they only really work on the pc. i guess i could see the wii doing well with them, though.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

COD3?
    Wasn't on the PC.

Edit: and while I'm on that... the last 6 months? Off the top of my head, NWN2, Medieval 2, and even though people are going to bitch to high hell, BF2142.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

COD3?
    Wasn't on the PC.

seriously?

Boy, I bet that pissed off alot of people. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but damn

LewieP on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i do miss adventure games. and i think they only really work on the pc. i guess i could see the wii doing well with them, though.

I think Shenmue was an adventure game, and it was wonderful on the Dreamcast.

And I played it on the PC, but was the XBOX port of Syberia decent?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Everyone's been hearing about how PC gaming is dying or stagnating or in some form of decline for more than a decade. It never will die, and honestly, I think it's still going as strong as it ever was.

PC games might not sell as much as a console game might and there might not be as much money in PC games as in consoles, but it really isn't going anywhere. And as far as I can tell, there's not a decline in sight.

There are plenty of PC games coming out that I'd like to get. Heck, there are plenty of PC games already out that I'd like to get but haven't gotten around to and I already have 118 PC games from the past couple years just sitting on my desk alone.

To say there's nothing good that's come out recently is a patent lie or you're just not looking hard enough. There's a lot more that comes out for the PC that's of interest to me than come out for consoles, as my rather meager collection of console games can attest.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

The DS has gotten a fair amount of good adventure games.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited February 2007

COD3?
    Wasn't on the PC.

seriously?

Boy, I bet that pissed off alot of people. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but damn

Alright, you caught me. I hadn't payed much attention to PC titles in the recent year, so I just assumed.

i shouldn't have specified WWII shooter, as in my opinion the FPS genre as a whole pretty much sucks balls in my opinion.

Every FPS is exactly the same.

Game start, Get handgun, and automatic, do some levels, find some grenades, do more levels, zomg the staple rocket launcher.

Seriously, usually when I hear about hype for FPSs, its based around what kind of vehicular combat is involved.

Kor on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    People who say PC gaming is dying or becoming stale needs to look at the list of games coming out in 2007.
    Case closed!
    Holy...wow. You have genuinely renewed my faith in my desktop. The last year has been dry for the poor thing, excluding Oblivion, HL2 Episode 1, and some CS: Source. Now I'm actually looking forward to playing a lot of these.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
    edited February 2007
    Alright, you caught me. I hadn't payed much attention to PC titles in the recent year, so I just assumed.

You seem to be good at making assumptions. Wrong ones.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

I stick by my FPS arguement.

Kor on
    edited February 2007

COD3?
    Wasn't on the PC.

seriously?

i shouldn't have specified WWII shooter, as in my opinion the FPS genre as a whole pretty much sucks balls in my opinion.

Game start, Get handgun, and automatic, do some levels, find some grenades, do more levels, zomg the staple rocket launcher.

Seriously, usually when I hear about hype for FPSs, its based around what kind of vehicular combat is involved.
    Platformers: Jump on moving objects, collect shiny objects, finish level, repeat.

Real Time Strategy: Click on your guys, then click on their guys, repeat until their guys are dead.

Adventure: Find stuff you can use on other stuff, occasionally solve a simple puzzle.

RPG: Kill things to you level up. Repeat. Watch plot-moving video.

See what I did there? Now try again.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

That is like saying every RPG, racing game, football game, platformer game, etc. is exactly the same. Do you actually think that Dark Messiah is the same as HL2?

Couscous on
    edited February 2007

I stick by my FPS arguement.

I'm glad you'll stick to your guns, but name any FPS, and I'm sure one could come up with plenty of FPS that aren't exactly the same. It's not a genre that's pulled off exactly the same way every time. Really, stop making assumptions based off of extremely limited experience.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Yeah, Half-life 2, Doom 3, F.E.A.R., Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Gears of War, and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines are all so similar...

RainbowDespair on
    edited February 2007
    I didn't realize Dark Messiah was a First Person SHOOTER?

Kor on
    edited February 2007

Is that your only argument? One example that doesn't fit?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited February 2007

It is when you use the archer.

Couscous on
    edited February 2007
    Dusda wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    Case closed!
    Holy...wow. You have genuinely renewed my faith in my desktop. The last year has been dry for the poor thing, excluding Oblivion, HL2 Episode 1, and some CS: Source. Now I'm actually looking forward to playing a lot of these.

Son of a-

Yeah, I guess I'm an anomaly. :P Dammit, now I HAVE to get that new computer because that list looks freaking awesome (A couple of those strategy titles and a few of those RPGs look awesome).

Nova_C on
    edited February 2007

Mechanically? Yes, it is. The only difference is the focus on melee combat.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited February 2007

Is that your only argument? One example that doesn't fit?

No, thats just the only reply I had seen to reply to.

Kor on
    edited February 2007
    Look, we're just talking about my personal preference. I'm entitled to my own opinion, so back the fuck off.

I'm not here to try to convince anybody, I was just contributing possible reasons to suppot the Original post.

I personally feel that games like Sonic, Mario, and Kirby, offer more variation accros platformers, than I do UT3, F.E.A.R, and Battlefield offer variation among FPSs, and so on.

Kor on
    edited February 2007
    Look, we're just talking about my personal preference. I'm entitled to my own opinion, so back the fuck off.

I'm not here to try to convince anybody, I was just contributing possible reasons to suppot the Original post.

I personally feel that games like Sonic, Mario, and Kirby, offer more variation accros platformers, than I do UT3, F.E.A.R, and Battlefield offer variation among FPSs, and so on.
    Saying it is your own opinion doesn't excuse the fact that your opinion is stupid.

Couscous on
    edited February 2007

Hell no, you have committed a faux-pas and we're going to jump all over it till you either quit or move to SE++ :P

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited February 2007

Hmm. I'm not a big fan of the FPS, but I think Clive Barker's Undying is a fantastic use of the genre. As was No One Lives Forever 2, two games that aren't anything like each other.

Nova_C on
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Saying it is your own opinion doesn't excuse the fact that your opinion is stupid.

Yes massah, please, teach me da ways of da tru gamar

Kor on
    edited February 2007
    You know how they say there are no wrong opinions?

Apparently that's wrong.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg