As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Had my first Double K.O, which led to a draw in my last ranked match.

I sent him good game, he replied "You too. I hate fighting Sagat." :)

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fun fact: My first online match resulted in a double KO.

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited March 2009

Fun fact: I am quite terrible at this game.

AuburnTiger on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

You are not alone, my friend.

pyromaniac221 on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

You are not alone, my friend.

Ooh Ooh, pick me!

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    So when vega does his off-the-wall-overhead-strike thing, how does one block that? I tried blocking high and low and nothing worked.

Doc on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Doc wrote: »
    So when vega does his off-the-wall-overhead-strike thing, how does one block that? I tried blocking high and low and nothing worked.

Vega has a ridiculous amount of control over that thing, he can hit you on either side, just like El Fuerte's body splash. That makes it a truly annoying mixup.

I've found the best way to block it is to walk toward Vega once he goes toward the wall. He'll tend to fly over you and you'll block it (high) correctly.

Taramoor on
    edited March 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

Vega has a ridiculous amount of control over that thing, he can hit you on either side, just like El Fuerte's body splash. That makes it a truly annoying mixup.

I've found the best way to block it is to walk toward Vega once he goes toward the wall. He'll tend to fly over you and you'll block it (high) correctly.

Ah, I was using Sagat. So. Slow.

Doc on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

His forward dash is decent, dash forward once and then walk forward/block. Or just tiger uppercut.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What is the advantage of using an arcade style stick?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

His forward dash is decent, dash forward once and then walk forward/block. Or just tiger uppercut.

If he is doing the throw that looks exactly the same as his strike, he can throw your ass out of an uppercut. Also, he seems to hit me out of the uppercut half the time.

I left my joystick at work, so this is all on the regular 360 controller. :(

Doc on
    edited March 2009

Accurately hitting diagonals, for starters. Easier to do timing on shoulder/trigger buttons, too.

Doc on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Generally better control over...well, everything.

It takes some getting used to if you've been using gamepads your whole life for fighting games.

House of Paincakes on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not to mention that the button layout is much more accessible.

Gamepads are still cool though.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited March 2009
    Trying to hit Vega's ultra with a Dualshock is like trying to put out a car fire with a sledge hammer. It's just the wrong tool for the job.

pyromaniac221 on
    edited March 2009

Generally better control over...well, everything.

It takes some getting used to if you've been using gamepads your whole life for fighting games.

Yeah I don't know. I can generally hit ultras with guile pretty easily with a dual shock so I just don't get the allure. It would seem if I gave them a bit of practice ( i am no guile player) it wouldn't be too difficult. Same with Zangief's ultras too but I have to buffer though or tick throw. I think that's what you kids call it. I've been using gamepads my entire life though so. . .shrug.

I really need to get a 360 or PS3.

or bring an arcade cabinet to ohio.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    I've never played as Blanka actually. . .so uh. . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    Lapine wrote: »
    So I was feeling masochistic and went back to C.Viper's trials and actually beat hard trial #2. C.Viper Hard trial #3 . . . has anyone here beat that? Jeez. I think it might not be possible with my current pad, but I was thinking of ordering another USB Saturn pad, anyway.

Is this a PS3 only thing, or is it available for the 360 too?

USB pads? The PS3 seems to use any USB pad (or controller with USB adapter) that you hook up with it except for a 360 pad. But I did read recently that there would be a converter to let you use PS3 controllers on the 360, by the same people that made a 360->PS3 adapter, I don't know if that'd let you use any USB controller or not.

Wait wait wait wait.

You mean I can use my USB SNES to PC adapter in order to use my arcade stick on the PS3?

Really? That would be AWESOME when I get my Ps3.
    Please answer my question.

RockinX on
  • DravalenDravalen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

As soon as you see vega go towards the wall just neutral jump + MK or similar, seems to deal well with most Vegas I see online.

Dravalen on
    edited March 2009
    So I was feeling masochistic and went back to C.Viper's trials and actually beat hard trial #2. C.Viper Hard trial #3 . . . has anyone here beat that? Jeez. I think it might not be possible with my current pad, but I was thinking of ordering another USB Saturn pad, anyway.

USB pads? The PS3 seems to use any USB pad (or controller with USB adapter) that you hook up with it except for a 360 pad. But I did read recently that there would be a converter to let you use PS3 controllers on the 360, by the same people that made a 360->PS3 adapter, I don't know if that'd let you use any USB controller or not.

Wait wait wait wait.

You mean I can use my USB SNES to PC adapter in order to use my arcade stick on the PS3?

I don't think there's anyone else with that setup. If it does work it's still possible that there will be input lag from the adapter, there is really no way to tell without trying it.

TheStig on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Wait wait wait wait.

I don't think there's anyone else with that setup. If it does work it's still possible that there will be input lag from the adapter, there is really no way to tell without trying it.

I know about one person who owns a PS3. I'll have to take the adapter to his house and try it then.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    What exactly is Blanka's ultra? Is it like that difficult move Sakura and Akuma had in Street Fighter EX?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    What exactly is Blanka's ultra? Is it like that difficult move Sakura and Akuma had in Street Fighter EX?

Charge back, forward, back, forward + P.

Can one of you creative people make me a nice image that I can send to people who DC during Rose's ultra?

because it never gets old:
    img0876c.jpg

This guy wasn't even dead, he was a bit slow on the DC too, didn't get it during the O face.

TheStig on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    SabreMau chooses the same costume/color as my Sakura.

There can be only one.
    Sometimes I use color 3, sometimes I use color 9. A true Dan-color gi would be somewhere in between.
    Can one of you creative people make me a nice image that I can send to people who DC during Rose's ultra?

shamano.jpg

SabreMau on
    edited March 2009
    AWESOME. Maybe put "soak up all those tears you were crying while you disconnected" at the top?
    Or something similar.

TheStig on
    edited March 2009

[IMG]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9049/img0876c.jpg[/snip] This guy wasn't even dead, he was a bit slow on the DC too, didn't get it during the O face.[/img]

Is it just difficult because of how quickly you have to press back, forward + P?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009

[IMG]http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/9049/img0876c.jpg[/snip] This guy wasn't even dead, he was a bit slow on the DC too, didn't get it during the O face.[/img]

Is it just difficult because of how quickly you have to press back, forward + P?

yeah, you gotta do it really fast, it's hard to get it down on the controller.
    if your thumb isn't like a rock that is.

TheStig on
  • irnirn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    irn wrote: »
    Urgh Blanka.

Goddamn Blanka.

Blanka Blanka Blanka.
    HAAAAAAAAATE :x

lol sorry bro... good match

Were you the one playing?

Don't worry about it, I just need to improve my own game. I'll get through though.

Would love a rematch if you're interested. :D

Thanks for the advise too Hisruptor. I've seen some of Sabre's videos in the tournament thread and he is insane.

Actually maybe not... I played against a gt antihippy on 360 but your sig says your on PSN? That would be a really strange coincidence because I'm pretty sure they also played as sakura and I main Blanka... my 360 gt is BIG IRN

irn on
    cashwore1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Is Rose pretty tough? Seems like most of the women characters can't take a punch.

AuburnTiger on
    edited March 2009
    Is Rose pretty tough? Seems like most of the women characters can't take a punch.

Yeah I think she has 1000hp or at the least 950. None of the women are zang/sagat tough but they're not as fragile as akuma or gen. She hits hard but isn't too combo friendly, but that's fine with me since neither am I.

TheStig on
    edited March 2009
    Urgh Blanka.

Goddamn Blanka.

Blanka Blanka Blanka.
    HAAAAAAAAATE :x

lol sorry bro... good match

Were you the one playing?

Don't worry about it, I just need to improve my own game. I'll get through though.

Would love a rematch if you're interested. :D

Thanks for the advise too Hisruptor. I've seen some of Sabre's videos in the tournament thread and he is insane.

Actually maybe not... I played against a gt antihippy on 360 but your sig says your on PSN? That would be a really strange coincidence because I'm pretty sure they also played as sakura and I main Blanka... my 360 gt is BIG IRN

Nope, PSN only.

Man, so much for originality. :P

Antihippy on
    edited March 2009

Yeah I think she has 1000hp or at the least 950. None of the women are zang/sagat tough but they're not as fragile as akuma or gen. She hits hard but isn't too combo friendly, but that's fine with me since neither am I.

I like Chun Li but I can't play her for shit; she doesn't have any of the go-to special/cheap moves that I rely on with other characters :P

AuburnTiger on
    edited March 2009
    AWESOME. Maybe put "soak up all those tears you were crying while you disconnected" at the top?
    Or something similar.

Soak up the tears should fit as a title.

Antihippy on
    edited March 2009
    You know after a week and a half or so with the game, I still have no idea who I want to play with. Though silly, I find myself reluctant to practice with a character whose . . . "character" I don't like. I seem to do really well with Bison, but man he's super evil and kind of a dick.

But anyway, part of it stems from the fact that with my fightpad on the way, I'm hesitant to put too much time practicing with the 360 controller. Though I think I could benefit defensively from playing more ranked and player matches online.

AuburnTiger on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited March 2009

Where's all this GEN IS FRAGILE WEAK BOOOO nonsense coming from

this is like the fifth time I've heard it

Gen has the average 1000 stamina, just like 80% of the characters

he has a smaller stun bar, and that's it

Knob on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Any good Giefs want to friend me? I'm trying to prep for my game against B:L in the tourney and I need an out against Lariat abuse. Right now I eat it and I'll be super pissed if I lose to that in the tourney.

LibrarianThorne on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Any good Giefs want to friend me? I'm trying to prep for my game against B:L in the tourney and I need an out against Lariat abuse. Right now I eat it and I'll be super pissed if I lose to that in the tourney.

I'll play you.

Oh wait.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So... To unlock Akuma, do I need to do perfects every round?

Rizzi on
  • LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    B:L wrote: »

I'll play you.

Oh wait.

Nooooo

My plans, ruined! I'll get you next time, Gadg- I mean B:L!

LibrarianThorne on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    A couple of really great ranked matches against Vyolynce tonight (at least I think it was him.)

First match his Honda beat my Gen 3 rounds to 0

Second match my Ben beat his Honda 3 rounds to 0.

No idea how that happened.

Taramoor on