As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter IV! I want to be the very best, like noone ever was!

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Switching to Ben will do that

Ben is Gief's counterpick, you know

Knob on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    A couple of really great ranked matches against Vyolynce tonight (at least I think it was him.)

First match his Honda beat my Gen 3 rounds to 0

Second match my Ben beat his Honda 3 rounds to 0.

No idea how that happened.

Seriously. Star Wars characters should stay in Soul Calibur.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hate you all.

But I hate my typo more.

Taramoor on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why do you guys prefer 5 round matches to 3?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Why do you guys prefer 5 round matches to 3?

I prefer them because the majority of my wins come by winning the last 3 rounds. Also a longer fight tends to be more rewarding, to me.

Taramoor on
    edited March 2009
    I used to prefer 5 rounds just because you got more fighting before character select and load screens and such

But 5 round matches are more forgiving of mistakes, give you more time to figure out your opponent, and generally favor sloppier play. I moved to exclusively 3 rounds because I don't want to rely on thinking, 'Oh I flubbed that, but it's alright, still plenty of round to go'. A shorter time to adjust keeps my game tight and encourages faster learning. I have 1 round to figure your entire gameplan out.

Knob on
  • LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »
    Lapine wrote: »
    So I was feeling masochistic and went back to C.Viper's trials and actually beat hard trial #2. C.Viper Hard trial #3 . . . has anyone here beat that? Jeez. I think it might not be possible with my current pad, but I was thinking of ordering another USB Saturn pad, anyway.

Is this a PS3 only thing, or is it available for the 360 too?

USB pads? The PS3 seems to use any USB pad (or controller with USB adapter) that you hook up with it except for a 360 pad. But I did read recently that there would be a converter to let you use PS3 controllers on the 360, by the same people that made a 360->PS3 adapter, I don't know if that'd let you use any USB controller or not.

Wait wait wait wait.

You mean I can use my USB SNES to PC adapter in order to use my arcade stick on the PS3?

Really? That would be AWESOME when I get my Ps3.
    Please answer my question.

I don't think there's anyone else with that setup. If it does work it's still possible that there will be input lag from the adapter, there is really no way to tell without trying it.

Yeah, I can't confirm that particular adapter will work, but given that I know at least 2 different adapters do work, it probably will, just maybe start/select won't work.

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hm. I might have asked before, but I can't remember. What's a good way to deal with a spinny around move spamming Russian dude as Balrog?

Rizzi on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Hm. I might have asked before, but I can't remember. What's a good way to deal with a spinny around move spamming Russian dude as Balrog?

I think his low charge punch beats it clean.

House of Paincakes on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

It does not.

Block, wait for the second hit, then low firece kick. I have have tried all sorts of other things and I havn't gotten anything else to work.

chamberlain on
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

It does not.

Block, wait for the second hit, then low firece kick. I have have tried all sorts of other things and I havn't gotten anything else to work.

Hmm, I must have heard wrong then. That's gotta be frustrating :(

House of Paincakes on
    edited March 2009
    Is there a new thread yet?

AuburnTiger on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MNC Dover is a gentleman and a scholar.

Houn on
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Any good Giefs want to friend me? I'm trying to prep for my game against B:L in the tourney and I need an out against Lariat abuse. Right now I eat it and I'll be super pissed if I lose to that in the tourney.
    Awesome, now I'm picturing Galron all wide eyed, freaking out because he keeps getting hit with lariats :lol:

MarvellousM on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Knob wrote: »
    I used to prefer 5 rounds just because you got more fighting before character select and load screens and such

But 5 round matches are more forgiving of mistakes, give you more time to figure out your opponent, and generally favor sloppier play. I moved to exclusively 3 rounds because I don't want to rely on thinking, 'Oh I flubbed that, but it's alright, still plenty of round to go'. A shorter time to adjust keeps my game tight and encourages faster learning. I have 1 round to figure your entire gameplan out.

On the flip side, 5 round matches give players more time to strategize and adapt, and makes it less likely that "gimmicks" can win.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    B:L wrote: »

On the flip side, 5 round matches give players more time to strategize and adapt, and makes it less likely that "gimmicks" can win.

Yeah that's why I play 5 round, 3 round can be won with some pretty gimmicky shit if your opponent hasn't seen it before.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • DravalenDravalen Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I won a 5 round against a Ken earlier by just headstop with the occasional devil's reverse mixup.

In other news I finally cracked 1600bp and think I'm starting to get my Bison pressure game down. The amount of variety that the Dictator has in his movelist is excellent :D.

Dravalen on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is Rose pretty tough? Seems like most of the women characters can't take a punch.

Yeah I think she has 1000hp or at the least 950. None of the women are zang/sagat tough but they're not as fragile as akuma or gen. She hits hard but isn't too combo friendly, but that's fine with me since neither am I.

Where's all this GEN IS FRAGILE WEAK BOOOO nonsense coming from

this is like the fifth time I've heard it

Gen has the average 1000 stamina, just like 80% of the characters

he has a smaller stun bar, and that's it

I just realised after doing his trials that, Gen is a powerhouse. He can easily combo into his super, which can easily combo into his ultra! o_o I ve slowly been dabbling with him so far, but as far as online play goes. I know im not ready. Oh yeah and Gouken sucks so far for online play, so i quit using him for now. Its up in the air for either Balrog (his jab to headbutt is deliciously easy), Gen (combo>super>ultra? can i get a what what) and Akuma (his potential... nuff said).

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited March 2009
    I got owned by a Gen the other day; of course, I get owned by everyone, but this guy pulled out crazy shit I'd never seen.

AuburnTiger on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I was feeling masochistic and went back to C.Viper's trials and actually beat hard trial #2. C.Viper Hard trial #3 . . . has anyone here beat that? Jeez. I think it might not be possible with my current pad, but I was thinking of ordering another USB Saturn pad, anyway.

USB pads? The PS3 seems to use any USB pad (or controller with USB adapter) that you hook up with it except for a 360 pad. But I did read recently that there would be a converter to let you use PS3 controllers on the 360, by the same people that made a 360->PS3 adapter, I don't know if that'd let you use any USB controller or not.

Wait wait wait wait.

You mean I can use my USB SNES to PC adapter in order to use my arcade stick on the PS3?

I don't think there's anyone else with that setup. If it does work it's still possible that there will be input lag from the adapter, there is really no way to tell without trying it.

Yeah, I can't confirm that particular adapter will work, but given that I know at least 2 different adapters do work, it probably will, just maybe start/select won't work.
    Hell, I don't think it even matters if Start and Select don't work! :D What adapters have you tried?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009

It does not.

c.hp spaced so you hit his fists

jump back hk aimed at his head

ex dash punch, timed hit in between lariat hits

lp dash straight as the lariat is almost finished - ONLY USE LP! IMPORTANT! WE DO NOT LIKE SPDS

Knob on
  • LapineLapine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Wait wait wait wait.

Hell, I don't think it even matters if Start and Select don't work! :D What adapters have you tried?

I've got a working N64/PS2 -> USB adapter, a friend of mine confirmed that his saturn -> USB adapter works. I'd love to have a Saturn adapter, but they are sold out online and I can't find any on ebay, either. The USB Saturn pads seem pretty much identical to the real Saturn controller but I think they are much more cheaply made due to the first one I got having the dpad fall right out. (I got a lot of use out of my real Saturn pad and that never happened to it...)

Lapine on
    PSN: Lapine
    edited March 2009
    I need some help beating Seth with Blanka on Arcade.

What move can I abuse to beat this cheap fucker?

EDIT: Nevermind, found his slidy punch.

AuburnTiger on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Wait wait wait wait.

I've got a working N64/PS2 -> USB adapter, a friend of mine confirmed that his saturn -> USB adapter works. I'd love to have a Saturn adapter, but they are sold out online and I can't find any on ebay, either. The USB Saturn pads seem pretty much identical to the real Saturn controller but I think they are much more cheaply made due to the first one I got having the dpad fall right out. (I got a lot of use out of my real Saturn pad and that never happened to it...)

If you're looking for a USB Saturn adapter, keep looking for it on eBay. That's how I got my Hori N64 Pad Mini and my SNES to Wii adapter. I kept looking for both.

RockinX on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RE: Sagat's fake kick, I saw a tip that said jump first then tap HK 3 times in quick succession. It still took me a few tries, but it finally came out when I landed from the jump.

Your mileage may vary.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    edited March 2009
    Feriluce wrote: »
    RE: Sagat's fake kick, I saw a tip that said jump first then tap HK 3 times in quick succession. It still took me a few tries, but it finally came out when I landed from the jump.

Your mileage may vary.

Just remap the HK to the RB instead of the RT.

Place fingernail on top of RB, slide, DONE.

AuburnTiger on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Your mileage may vary.

First thing I did was remap the HP and HK buttons on my 360 controller (yeah, I know) HP is the LB and HK is the RB with the 3P and 3K on the respective triggers.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone got advice on getting in on Dhalsim with Blanka? I'm around 3000-3500 depending on the time and I just can't get in on Dhalsims around that level. His standing back roundhouse is absurd. Any good Blankas out there? :(

Zombie Nirvana on
  • BlowfluBlowflu FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Your mileage may vary.

First thing I did was remap the HP and HK buttons on my 360 controller (yeah, I know) HP is the LB and HK is the RB with the 3P and 3K on the respective triggers.

Or you could take the rock band drums and do a drum roll on HK (mapped to one of the four pads). That worked for me.

Blowflu on
    edited March 2009
    Blowflu wrote: »

Your mileage may vary.

Or you could take the rock band drums and do a drum roll on HK (mapped to one of the four pads). That worked for me.

Now that's how you do a beat.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anyone got advice on getting in on Dhalsim with Blanka? I'm around 3000-3500 depending on the time and I just can't get in on Dhalsims around that level. His standing back roundhouse is absurd. Any good Blankas out there? :(

This isn't Blanka specific, but as Balrog I always assume a punch or kick is coming and I try to hit the spot it will be in. So for instance if I see him jump back I'll toss out a headbutt that would otherwise whiff because most 'Sim players throw out a j.HP.

Once you get in on him he can't do a whole lot. His wake-up game is pretty poor and he can only teleport directly behind you, making it hard to run away if you're quick. You really just have to play like a bully against 'Sim.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was cruelly deceived by a gamestop employee today--he claimed he had the last 360 SFIV fight pad in the store for sale. I purchased it, elated, only to realize it was a PS3 fight pad as I walked out of the store.

Never have I felt the weight of my hopes and dreams being crushed more than in that moment.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    There wouldn't happen to be a list/site somewhere that details how much damage each character's ultra does, would there?

AuburnTiger on
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love running into PA folks in ranked matches. Good game MNC Dover!

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Fact: Blanka is a bastard.
    You can link his ultra off of a really close c.MK
    You can buffer his ultra off of his KKK dash.

Any good Blankas wanna play? I need practice against him.

you cant cancel or buffer ultras at all in this game.

Ah_Pook on
  • James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Dan can. :lol:

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anybody want to fight a semi terrible Abel? I'm on xbox live right now, just send me an invite. Gamertag Boceifus.

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
  • jynxycatjynxycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    I was cruelly deceived by a gamestop employee today--he claimed he had the last 360 SFIV fight pad in the store for sale. I purchased it, elated, only to realize it was a PS3 fight pad as I walked out of the store.

Never have I felt the weight of my hopes and dreams being crushed more than in that moment.

Should of looked at the controller -_-

The 360 one has the guide button right in the middle and the buttons have letters on them :P

jynxycat on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    James Dekk wrote: »

This isn't Blanka specific, but as Balrog I always assume a punch or kick is coming and I try to hit the spot it will be in. So for instance if I see him jump back I'll toss out a headbutt that would otherwise whiff because most 'Sim players throw out a j.HP.

Once you get in on him he can't do a whole lot. His wake-up game is pretty poor and he can only teleport directly behind you, making it hard to run away if you're quick. You really just have to play like a bully against 'Sim.

Yeah - I just thought about that having only played Dhalsim a little bit. I remember now that it can be a bit frantic to get away from someone when your tele moves so slowly. I'll just have to work on timing. I think his dash KKK and forward slide might help. Or a lp, mp roll. *shrug*

Zombie Nirvana on
  • jynxycatjynxycat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

C.viper can.

jynxycat on