As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Klonoa remake for the Wii - Out now! (And only $30, too.)

AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
A 2009 European release has been confirmed, but I can't find the specific date. Some websites say May 22 while others say October 30.

thumb_135420e_1_2.jpg
Klonoa is a side-scrolling platform game viewed from a "2.5D" perspective. The player moves the protagonist, Klonoa, along a path in a two-dimensional fashion, but the game is rendered in three dimensions. This allows the path followed to curve and for the player to interact with objects outside of the path. The player defeats enemies by utilizing Klonoa's weapon, the "Wind Bullet", a ring that fires a burst of wind. If the wind hits an enemy, Klonoa lifts the enemy above his head. From this position, he can throw the enemy into another enemy to defeat them, or use the enemy to perform a double-jump. If the player holds the jump button, Klonoa floats in mid-air for a short duration, which increases the jump length.

Screenshots:
klonoa-20090109010007632.jpg

klonoa-20090109010002742.jpg

klonoa-20090109005947117.jpg

klonoa-20090109010010367.jpg

klonoa-20090109005939430.jpg

Videos:
The WiiFolder Trailer (spoiler-free except for a few boss battles)

The TGS trailer below contains some Spoilers:
TGS 2008 Trailer

Gameplay Video

Remake Info and Changes/Additions:
  • Many small modifications were made to the gameplay to make it "much more intuitive and easier to control", according to producer Yoshizawa. These include the speed at which Klonoa runs, the length of his shot, and adjusting the hit range of the enemies.
  • The game includes both English and Phantomile voice overs.
  • Klonoa has been given a deeper voice in the English version (you can hear this in one of the videos posted above). I'm not sure if you'll be able to switch back to his original voice or not since no one has ever asked about it in an interview.
  • Multiple control methods are supported, including the Classic Controller and holding the Wii Remote "NES Style."
  • A new "Whirlwind" attack that stuns enemies has been added. You activate it by shaking the Wii remote, but it will be available with all control methods.
  • The game will include a "Reverse" mode that has you playing all of the levels backwards.
  • There will be unlockable costumes for Klonoa.

----

I think this might be my first topic. I looked at other game topics to get ideas on how to structure the OP, but let me know if you have any advice or suggestions about it.

Normally I'm not big on remakes, but I'm pretty excited about this one. I don't think it will replace the original PS1 game for me, but I'm happy that people will finally be able to play the game without paying high prices on eBay. This is also the first time that there's been a console game in the series since Klonoa 2 came out in 2001. If the sales are good enough, maybe it will convince them to make a new game or something.

soempty.jpg
AaronKI on

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So hard for this game.

Paid $80 for the original on eBay and worth every penny.

UnbreakableVow on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My first exposure to this character was, of all things, Namco X Capcom. :P

Looks fun from what I've seen.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So hard for this game.

Paid $80 for the original on eBay and worth every penny.

When I checked to see if there was a thread for the game, I was surprised that you hadn't already made one. :P

I managed to get the game for $10 from the local video store. It's not in the best condition and the cover is faded, but it plays fine. I was also overjoyed to buy it because that specific copy was the first PS1 game I ever played/rented.

Klonoa: Moonlight Museum for the WonderSwan was the one I payed a fortune for. I probably should have put that money towards buying a nice copy of the original game, but oh well.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I bet the Japanese cover for that is awesome.

Satsumomo on
    edited March 2009
    So's the one in the OP.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    No!!! >:(

Satsumomo on
    edited March 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Comparison:
    Klonoa_Wii_Front.jpg135420e_1_2.jpg

:P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So... I've never played Klona before. Should I buy this? Y/N

urahonky on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We dodged a bullet by Namco not redesigning this like they planned, that's for sure.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So... I've never played Klona before. However, I'm going to buy this and become a better person for it, so questioning it is futile.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    So help me God if it sucks...

Actually I've heard nothing but good things about the game. So I can't wait to try it out. :)

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    If you like great old-fashioned 2D platformers with outstanding level design, then yeah, Klonoa is for you.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    Will I get 1000 lives? :P

I really think Prinny got me interested in the genre again, and seeing this is 2d is a huge bonus.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2009
    How's the music? And, yeah I love 2D platformers. :)

urahonky on
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    So... I've never played Klona before. Should I buy this? Y/N

If you like platformers with puzzle elements, you should consider it.

Edit: The music is really nice. I have the soundtrack for the original game around here somewhere.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    We dodged a bullet by Namco not redesigning this like they planned, that's for sure.

Good thing they had that survey.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Comparison:
    Klonoa_Wii_Front.jpg135420e_1_2.jpg

:P

god Japan always gets the good covers

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's kind of hard to believe that the first/last time i played this game was roughly a decade ago i rented it from one of the local stores but got stuck on one of the late game levels and was never able to beat it, hopefully i can beat it now though.

Edit: Cant remember much about the originals soundtrack, but the second game has fantastic music.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited March 2009
    I'll give it a shot either way. I just happened to love old school music.

urahonky on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I haven't ever played this either, but I think I'm going to get it. More platformers = good, in my opinion.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Here's some footage of a stage from Klonoa 2. The Wii version of the first one plays similar to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyiuszrMtV8

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
    edited March 2009
    I just noticed that they increased Klonoa's HP from 6 to 10. If you combine that with the Whirlwind attack, it sound like this version will probably be a lot easier..

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I've heard nothing but good things about Klonoa, and I love platformers. Consider this bought.

SirUltimos on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The original could certainly do with a slight graphical update by now, so this still has my interest.

Xagarath on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I just noticed that they increased Klonoa's HP from 6 to 10. If you combine that with the Whirlwind attack, it sound like this version will probably be a lot easier..
    Honestly, I think it only ever mattered with the final boss. You usually die from messing up a jump, rather than running out of health.

[edit] Wow, his new voice is weird. Why does the original trailer have the original voice and the gameplay vid another...

Glal on
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Honestly, I think it only ever mattered with the final boss. You usually die from messing up a jump, rather than running out of health.

[edit] Wow, his new voice is weird. Why does the original trailer have the original voice and the gameplay vid another...

Oh, heh. I think I was too busy flailing my arms and shouting "AHH, CHANGE!" to even think about that.

I think it's because his new voice is only for the English release. From what I've seen, the Japanese version of the game used his original voice. I'm hoping that the new one is only used in the "English" voice over and the Phantomile voice over will have his original voice.

Some PS1 soundtrack samples for urahonky. I think remake uses the original versions of the songs, but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone wants to compare, the WiiFolder trailer in the OP uses "Windmill Song" and the gameplay video uses "Forlock Twist."

For the most part, the songs in fit their levels incredibly well. The only songs I don't really care for are mostly used during boss battles.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Really, you don't like Cursed Pamela? That's one of my favourites, it makes me replay the boss fight just to hear it again.

Glal on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I cried during the ending when I beat it so long ago.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited March 2009
    Really, you don't like Cursed Pamela? That's one of my favourites, it makes me replay the boss fight just to hear it again.

I probably should have been more specific with that comment. I do like Cursed Pamela, and Baladium's Drive is probably my favorite song in the game. The rest of the Boss songs don't really do it for me, though.

I cried during the ending when I beat it so long ago.

Me too.

I was reading Wikipedia's info on the remake and realized that I forgot to pick up the issue of Nintendo Power that had a cover story on the remake.
    Many small modifications were made to the gameplay to make it "much more intuitive and easier to control", according to producer Yoshizawa. These include the speed at which Klonoa runs, the length of his shot, and adjusting the hit range of the enemies. Additions to the gameplay are centered around unlockable features, such as additional costumes and reversible levels designed for "the hardcore fans".

I'm wondering if Reverse Mode will involve playing the levels from End to Beginning or if it will just be a Mirror Mode. There was an interview that made it sound like you'd be playing from end to beginning (even though it's impossible in some levels), but I saw a screenshot that suggested Mirror Mode.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Mirror mode. The puzzles wouldn't make any sense end-to-start.

[edit] Or maybe that's the Wii screenshot, and the Gamecube version will have the correct orientation. :V

Glal on
  • xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Mirror mode. The puzzles wouldn't make any sense end-to-start.

[edit] Or maybe that's the Wii screenshot, and the Gamecube version will have the correct orientation. :V

I was about to post something silly but then I realized you were making a Zelda joke.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
    edited March 2009
    When you play the game in reverse you may become flustered because everything is backwards. It creates a new challenge. Also there are secret areas to explore in Reverse Mode. Make sure to look out for them.

I think I misread it this first time around, which is what got me confused.

Balue's Tower in reverse mode should be fun.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Did I ever tell you guys the story of the time I bought Klonoa 2 for $20?

I walked into the old Wal-Mart before it moved and became the Wal-Mart Supercenter, and there was a bargain section behind the glass that had $20 games, and Klonoa 2 was sitting in it.

And that's how I bought Klonoa 2 for $20.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    How long had it been since the game was released?

How I learned not to buy GBA games from eBay: I saw a copy of Klonoa: Empire of Dreams with a "Buy It Now" price of $5. I was having trouble locating a copy in any of the local stores and the price was really tempting, so I grabbed it. When the cart came, the plastic wasn't quite the right color, the image on the poorly made sticker was stretched out of proportion, and the game even had a splash screen for/intro the group that dumped the game.

I wasn't too pleased.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Really? My friend's girlfriend grabbed Empire of Dreams from our GameStop about two weeks ago for $4.

And Klonoa 2, it had been about a year after its release.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited March 2009
    At the time, none of the local stores had it new or used. I eventually came across a new copy at ShopKo of all places. (.. Or maybe it was K-Mart. Can't quite remember. Well, it was some store that I would never think to check.)

That reminds me, how's Dream Champ Tournament? I meant to pick it up a while back but never got around to it.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is so bought day one. I rented the first Klonoa game a long time ago for the PS1, and could never find somewhere to buy it at

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The only Klonoa game I have is the first GBA game. It's so awesome. I need to hunt down the second some time.

Edit: Amazon had Klonoa 2 (GBA) around $10-$15 for the longest time. I should have grabbed it when I had the chance. (le cry)

Edit 2: Okay, okay, GoGamer, $12.49, they're fairly reliable/trusted.

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=46218292&extid=FroogleVideoGames

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I grabbed Klonoa 2 from a Blockbuster for ten bucks awhile ago, but I didn't like it very much. The pacing was pretty bad. I mean, you'd get into a great level, and then you'd finish it, and then the story sequences really slow it down.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited March 2009
    I realized that Klonoa 2's story bugged me after I finished the game and the hype started to wear off. If you liked the gameplay but not the pacing, you might still look into the remake. It's been a few years since I last played Klonoa 2, but I'm thinking that Klonoa 1's story segments are much shorter. Unless they made them longer in the remake, that is.

maximumzero: It's hard to resist at that price. I think I'll go ahead and order it tomorrow.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Sadly, I won't be able to experience this game.

Got a good offer on my Wii and will be selling it this week.

UnbreakableVow on