As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC gaming as its own worst enemy

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    i do miss adventure games. and i think they only really work on the pc. i guess i could see the wii doing well with them, though.

It would be nice if activision brought back the zork series. Too bad activision is full of adventure hating assholes.(unsubstantiated but it feels like that)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    You know how they say there are no wrong opinions?

Apparently that's wrong.

in your opinion

LewieP on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    I could go on, but really, name me one solid title that has been release on the PC, that isn't an MMO, in the past 6 months?

supreme-commander.jpg
    Hey, how's it going?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I could go on, but really, name me one solid title that has been release on the PC, that isn't an MMO, in the past 6 months?

supreme-commander.jpg
    Hey, how's it going?

Oh hi!. My name is Context... and you are?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

supreme-commander.jpg
    Hey, how's it going?

Context, meet Fact. Fact, Context.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    People who say PC gaming is dying or becoming stale needs to look at the list of games coming out in 2007.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221

Case closed!

Holy fuck, I just spent 10+ minutes reading that list. I know I'm certainly not retiring my PC any time soon.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

supreme-commander.jpg
    Hey, how's it going?

This is just an guess, but I think the context is the quote, your quote, wherein you asked for a solid non-MMO game within the last 6 months.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    God, will you fags stop this stupid pedantic argument. He misspoke, fine. Or he didn't, fine. Let's not waste any more posts talking about it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Would it be fair to say the average American PC gamer is more tech savvy, in general, than the average American console gamer? Would it also be fair to say piracy hits the PC games' sales pretty hard?

Is there a connection between those two statements? Yeah, I'm hinting at something but I don't want to say it outright. Piracy hurts both console and computer game sales but I don't think the ratios of sales lost over total sales are the same. Let me look for sources.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say the average American PC gamer is more tech savvy, in general, than the average American console gamer? Would it also be fair to say piracy hits the PC games' sales pretty hard?

Is there a connection between those two statements? Yeah, I'm hinting at something but I don't want to say it outright. Piracy hurts both console and computer game sales but I don't think the ratios of sales lost over total sales are the same. Let me look for sources.

Maybe, but a big part of it is probably also that in order to play copied games on a console (save the DC) you usually need to open and modify your console. Not the case with a PC.

I know that when I spend $400 on something, my first instinct isn't to open it up, void the warranty, and potentially turn it into a doorstop.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

So you steal a bunch of PC games because you're tech savvy enough to do it, huh? High five.

Or maybe that's not what you're implying, but I don't think it matters either way. Maybe the effect of piracy hurts PC gaming more than it hurts console gaming, but even if that's the case, there's still great PC games coming out all the time.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd say word of mouth, thanks to our lovely 'Information Age', would probably play a big part of things.

I mean, if a game starts to suck while its being developed, half the user base find out about it the next day. Word of mouth goes off, and some game thats 40% complete has already been damned.

Unfortunately, with how much it costs a developer to make a game nowadays, they can't afford as many mistakes (read: flops) as they could back on the SNES. :P

In general, this would seem to produce less games all around.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well, I don't steal any games but I do think its a much more involved process to pirate console games than PC games. Why did EB games stop selling used PC games but not used console games...? *cough*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Captain K wrote: »

So you steal a bunch of PC games because you're tech savvy enough to do it, huh? High five.

Or maybe that's not what you're implying, but I don't think it matters either way. Maybe the effect of piracy hurts PC gaming more than it hurts console gaming, but even if that's the case, there's still great PC games coming out all the time.

I think he means because the general PC gamer knows what components of his machine he wants to improve, can cite specific examples of upgrades and probably could self install them.

And game piracy is the same boat as music piracy, like K said, it's not going to kill the industry.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Well, I don't steal any games but I do think its a much more involved process to pirate console games than PC games. Why did EB games stop selling used PC games but not used console games...? *cough*

Because almost every PC game made nowadays comes with a CD-key, which has to be authorized on the internets. Which means, the previous owner has his name attached to the key, making your purchase obsolete.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Install and return? Buy, take the CD key, return?

Dishonesty comes in many flavors.

Or maybe they just weren't profitable. EB Games is a business, after all.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Also, to respond to the original post, no, I don't think the glut of MMORPGs being release lately is killing the industry, because the evidence against that theory speaks for itself. Tons of great non-MMORPG games coming out all the time.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'm not saying console gamers are stupid, by the way. Some of my best friends are console gamers. They were born liking dual analog controllers.

*eyes shift back and forth*

I am NOT a console racist!

[/sarcasm]

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    jclast wrote: »

Install and return? Buy, take the CD key, return?

Dishonesty comes in many flavors.

Or maybe they just weren't profitable. EB Games is a business, after all.

They were discontinued due to the ability to do just that. They could be held accountable for multiple ownership of keys.

Also, CD-Keys until recently, were more used in the prevention of usage of the same copy online. Sure, you could install Diablo 2 with friend X's key, but damned if you both tried to be on BNet at the same time.

Back to the MMO killing the industry topic: I think the supplied link illustrated more than enough reasons to do something with your PC aside from tooling around Azeroth.

I will admit, however, that my backlog has grown since my support of WoW began.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I will admit, however, that my backlog has grown since my support of WoW began.

seconded

Kor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd like to see some actual data on the total number of MMO subscribers worldwide over time. How good does a new game have to be to get completely new MMO players to pick up the habit, rather than just cannibalizing existing MMOs' userbases?

I've got anecdotal evidence that WoW got a lot of casual PC gamers to pick up the MMO bug, but I'd rather see some real figures.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd like to see some actual data on the total number of MMO subscribers worldwide over time. How good does a new game have to be to get completely new MMO players to pick up the habit, rather than just cannibalizing existing MMOs' userbases?

I've got anecdotal evidence that WoW got a lot of casual PC gamers to pick up the MMO bug, but I'd rather see some real figures.

http://www.mmogchart.com/ ?

Kor on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

If nothing else, it probably cannibalized from the MMO market and the RTS market. I can definitely remember friends saying "Man, I don't usually play MMOs, but it's Warcraft!"

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Just as important, couldn't MMOs designed for a sophisticated console be as much trouble for console sales? FFXI didn't steal away from Ratchet and Clank sales but if a really good MMO came out only for consoles, wouldn't all single-player game sales go down regardless of vehicle?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    People who say PC gaming is dying or becoming stale needs to look at the list of games coming out in 2007.

Case closed!

Holy fuck, I just spent 10+ minutes reading that list. I know I'm certainly not retiring my PC any time soon.

Glad I could be of help to a few people. PC gaming is more alive than ever, and that list is only games that author sees as promising titles. There are most likely lots of other games announced that you might find interesting. And remember, the key word is announced. It's only the beginning of 2007; and as the year goes on, we'll see a lot more titles in the works. It's going to be an absolute AMAZING year for PC gaming.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited February 2007

If nothing else, it probably cannibalized from the MMO market and the RTS market. I can definitely remember friends saying "Man, I don't usually play MMOs, but it's Warcraft!"

WoW's success is more dependent on the Blizzard name than anything else. They could have moved either the Diablo or Starcraft in the same direction and there would still be 8 million people playing worldwide.

As for cannibalizing the RTS market: Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Rise of Legends, and Supreme Commander will still sell well.
    Just as important, couldn't MMOs designed for a sophisticated console be as much trouble for console sales? FFXI didn't steal away from Ratchet and Clank sales but if a really good MMO came out only for consoles, wouldn't all single-player game sales go down regardless of vehicle?

The Dreamcast had a foray into the online RPG market with Phantasy Star Online. Granted it wasn't a MMO, it was still had content updates. Other games on the system still sold.

Of course, 7 years later a much better MMO hit and make me look like a liar.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

WoW's success is more dependent on the Blizzard name than anything else. They could have moved either the Diablo or Starcraft in the same direction and there would still be 8 million people playing worldwide.

As for cannibalizing the RTS market: Company of Heroes, Dawn of War, Rise of Legends, and Supreme Commander will still sell well.

I agree that those players will still buy RTS games, but now they're probably more prone to buy another MMO as well. Blizzard added to the MMO base instead of just drawing subscribers from an existing pool of MMO players.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007

http://www.mmogchart.com/ ?

Hmm, I didn't remember that page having a "total MMOG active subscriptions" chart like that one, the last time I looked at it. But, that was a long time ago, so maybe it wasn't there. Anyway, thanks for the link.

I'd love to see more data, though--like I said, a comparison of how many WoW subscribers jumped ship from another game to how many picked up the MMO habit with WoW as their first game. I'm sure that data doesn't/can't exist. :P

Captain K on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    What kills PC gaming for me is that it's much more expensive than console gaming, you get essentially the same entertainment, and you have to bother with knowing/tweaking/rebuilding the components of your own setup to run shit properly every few years. If you're into that anyway, it's fine. If you're not, it's a whole lot easier to just let Nintendo or Sony or MS do it for you.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The main draw of PC gaming is that it delivers the best possible experience for a few particular genres: FPS, RTS, MMO especially. If you like any of these genres, you're probably going to be doing a lot of PC gaming.

Captain K on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hell for me, its just lack of titles
    Alice

Wow. I forgot about that game. So amazing. Also my PC gaming had declined because my PC has declined.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    2006 was a terrible year for PC gaming. As long as most 2007 titles don't get pushed to 08 it should be a fantastic year.

tofu on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The main draw of PC gaming is that it delivers the best possible experience for a few particular genres: FPS, RTS, MMO especially. If you like any of these genres, you're probably going to be doing a lot of PC gaming.

So the main draw of PC gaming rests in genres that are played out, exhausted, driven into the ground, and utterly lifeless.

I mean really, Company of Heroes comes out and offers, in the space of one game, as much innovation as the genre has ever seen and now we're back to the same old, same old with SupCom, less than a year later.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »

So the main draw of PC gaming rests in genres that are played out, exhausted, driven into the ground, and utterly lifeless.

I mean really, Company of Heroes comes out and offers, in the space of one game, as much innovation as the genre has ever seen and now we're back to the same old, same old with SupCom, less than a year later.
    I prefer CoH to SupCom but how can you say that? SupCom is a lot different than most other RTS games.

You could probably make the "same old, same old" case for the new Command and Conquer game though.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Games are like the movie industry: Ever so often there's an innovative different idea, so everyone hops on that and beats it into the ground. Otherwise, you stick to what sells. The same old conventions and genres work, prove to be million sellers and have (gasp) fun titles. Are the FPS/RTS/MMO mills running dry on new ideas? No one dares to break the mold and think of something truly revolutionary but maybe once every two years. That's not a basis of an argument to claim the PC to be doomed.

Consoles survive on a similar buffet of platformers, action titles and role-playing games. Are they doomed? Of course not. So why are you trying to portray the PC market in a separate light?

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Well, I did say "if you like any of these genres". Obviously you don't. No need to spout ignorance all over the place.

Captain K on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I didnt say PC gaming was doomed, just that it, largely, lacks quality games.

I spent ten minutes reading through that list from the previous page, as well, and basically found it to be devoid of imagination.

Thats not to say that there werent any titles that piqued my interest, just very, very few.

And how, you ask, can I say that about Supreme Commander? Its Total Annihilation with a new coat of paint.

Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    And how, you ask, can I say that about Supreme Commander? Its Total Annihilation with a new coat of paint.

Total Annihilation came out ten years ago. To say the capabilities of computer gaming was a little different a decade ago is an understatement. Additionally a "new paint job" for what is widely regarded as one of the best RTSes ever has been highly anticipated since its announcement.

By the way, I forgot that a new paint job consists of collateral damage, the building adjacency system and dual monitor support.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I didnt say PC gaming was doomed, just that it, largely, lacks quality games.

I spent ten minutes reading through that list from the previous page, as well, and basically found it to be devoid of imagination.

Thats not to say that there werent any titles that piqued my interest, just very, very few.

Oh man, I know. I haven't played a game on my PC in forever because nothing good ever comes out for the PC. Not like consoles at all. Every two seconds, there's some new awesome game that beats out everything on the PC.

And you're right. PC developers don't have any imagination. It's just generic shooter and generic RTS and generic whatever else those idiot PC gamer plebes play.

Also completely unlike consoles. I've never seen any unimaginative rehashes on a console before. Everything is totally fresh and original and every day is a new day of gaming bliss.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Case closed!

That list is a little weird. Some of those games were released in 2006 (Rayman Raving Rabbids for instance). Others, are strangely absent (Resident Evil 4).

CZroe on