As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[HUNT ON] Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - Keep on Huntin'

• AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cue Xbox Live example in 3...

IIRC, the servers for MH on PS2 were dedicated.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    Good job Renzo now what will we talk about?

How bout how I need one more rath ruby and silver rath won't give it up for me. Everyday we kill him sometimes my partner gets 2 of them, think he has 8 extra right now. I haven't seen one for like two weeks. I just need one more you bastard.

Atleast I am getting fairly wealthy as I am just selling everything. Sitting around 300k right now iirc.

If I recall, the percentages might be better in a capture, though I seldom do it myself.

Other than breaking the head, hoping for a tail carve (I've been using a hammer, so I just ignore this), the only other thing I usually try for upping my odds is wearing a high fate set. I just need to make a fate set with earplugs, and I'd be all set....

My recent nemeses (nemesises? nemesis's?) have been ash lao and HR6 gaoren. I can repel ash, but I'm just not putting out enough damage to kill him. Gaoren, I think I just have to look at new strategies, 'cause I'm just not making a dent.

My initial gut reaction to a monthly fee for 3 was: ugh, screw that. But I guess it'd be okay depending on how the game is, and what exactly a monthly is paying for.

Yeah we always capture, always break everything, always get the tail carve. No ruby for me again today, partner got another. Sooo sad. We are damn surgical with this bitch now, 10 minutes and out.

corin7 on
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, if that ultimately ends up being the case, then I'd be hard-pressed to get involved with a monthly fee if it isn't something pretty reasonable.

Definitely have to wait and see though.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'll gladly pay a monthly fee to play online... for the first three months or so. If they add content (is that even possible on the Wii?) then I'd be willing to go longer...

The ultimate resolution would be for Frontier to come out here, where I'd gladly give my firstbo... half my payc.... 15 bucks a month to play online from now until... you know, whenever.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Airan wrote: »

I am not sure what you're saying here.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited March 2009
    Yeah we always capture, always break everything, always get the tail carve. No ruby for me again today, partner got another. Sooo sad. We are damn surgical with this bitch now, 10 minutes and out.

In that case, I feel your pain. I've been somewhat lucky with rathalos rubies, used to be terrible with monoblos hearts (until I started doing ultimate crab dinner), and am pretty much in the same boat as you for rathian rubies. I've just not needed the ian rubies as badly as the los rubies, so it hasn't bugged me. Yet.

It's times like this that I kind of wish you could trade the rarer items, especially since your partner can pretty much throw all his rathalos rubies on a bed and roll around in 'em.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited March 2009

I am not sure what you're saying here.

Seriously?

It was a sarcastic jab in an attempt to intercept any future comments of the XBLG subscription being just a matchmaking service, regarding Svevin's last comment. Maybe I should've typed out "inb4 XBLG" or something.

(For the record, I'm not berating XBLG, and I don't really want this thread to turn to shit ohgodwhathaveidone)

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I am pretty sure a Capcom rep recently stated that Monster Hunter 3 is coming to the states let me see if I can find the information.
    My bad not a rep, but a listing of products being released PDF thing.

http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/02/25/capcom-sort-of-confirms-western-release-for-monster-hunter-3/

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
    edited March 2009
    So, really late to the party, but man, Ad Hoc Party is some great stuff.

I kick myself for procrastinating in trying it out. Had a terrific day off pretty much playing MHF2 via Ad Hoc Party. I am hooked.

Also, and this sounds weird, but Monster Hunter is a totally different game when you're not playing solo. Nobody I know really got into the game, but it's definitely a treat to play it with a bunch of like minds.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited March 2009
    So, really late to the party, but man, Ad Hoc Party is some great stuff.

I kick myself for procrastinating in trying it out. Had a terrific day off pretty much playing MHF2 via Ad Hoc Party. I am hooked.

Also, and this sounds weird, but Monster Hunter is a totally different game when you're not playing solo. Nobody I know really got into the game, but it's definitely a treat to play it with a bunch of like minds.

I would go so far as to say it's a treat to play with -any- minds. Yes it is possible to find some douche somewhere who will ruin your day... but overall my experience with XLink Kai has been extremely positive. I've still yet to play MHF or MHF2 with anyone in the same room as me. Playing with other people completely changes the battlefield. Running in to hack at a Rathalos' feet and see it tip over, then have four people bring the full might of their armament down on it is an awesome sight.

Not to mention the added bonus that the big nasty beast you're fighting isn't always charging at -you-.

Dyvion on
  • StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Any word on Freedom Unite and a release date?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nope.

Renzo on
    edited March 2009
    Why hello there thread. I finally got my last ruby yesterday. Time to get HR7.

corin7 on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I managed to pick up a copy of Monster Hunter Freedom 2 today. How's the online population for it? It seems fun, but i'm not digging playing alone, and I don't know anyone else who'd enjoy this sort of game locally.

Archonex on
    edited March 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    So I managed to pick up a copy of Monster Hunter Freedom 2 today. How's the online population for it? It seems fun, but i'm not digging playing alone, and I don't know anyone else who'd enjoy this sort of game locally.

The burden of all who play. Welcome to the club Archonex! There are a few people with PS3's who have the online connect thingy (I don't have a PS3, so I know very little about it) who say it works very well. There is the XLink Kai option (but you may have to buy a wifi dongle {fairly cheap}) which has a pretty robust community. There are usually 40 to 50 people online there to play with.

Just so you're aware... I've had MHF and MHF2 from when they came out and I've never (not even once) played with someone in the same room with me. I could recommend avenues of finding people that have never worked for me...

You could post a flier on a bulletin board at your local hobby shop... you could hope someone here lives near you... you could post an advert on craig's list... you could go to any number of the Monster Hunter Freedom/mhf2 web sites and see if any of those guys live near you.

In any case, welcome to the obsession and good luck!

Dyvion on
    edited March 2009
    Guess what I figured out today? There is no HR7 in MHF2, motherfucker. So I am about at the end of my MHF2 journey and it is depressing. We have a few more missions to clean up but damn I hate to say it but all the HR6 stuff is cake at this point. I need new challenges. Where is Unite? I feel like a crack addict who just found out his dealer no longer exists.

corin7 on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You took down all three Fatalis yet? :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited March 2009
    Challenge: Do it all solo. Somewhat more difficult when the monster is focused solely on you the whole match. :P

Actually, now that you've gotten to the end, the real challenge will be to make a vast arsenal of weapons and armors, despite the fact that you will never use the bulk of it, but hey it'll be fun to run around dressed like a chef while wielding a giant spatula and ladle.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited March 2009
    Haven't done Rajang or Fatalis yet. Like I said I know we have a few to go but it is not the same as knowing you have a full tier of harder challenges waiting for you. I have to say so far dual Tiggy is by far the hardest. Which I suppose is fitting as he is the cover beast.

corin7 on
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    depends on what you mean by hardest.

dual tiggy is actually pretty fun, although frustrating at times. g-rank teo is pretty tough too on the volcano stage, but again, it's generally pretty fun to fight him.

fatalis for me is the hardest because he's so goddamn boring. i just never ever want to fight him cause i have no fun at all. it's just a chore.

Ketherial on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Haven't done Rajang or Fatalis yet. Like I said I know we have a few to go but it is not the same as knowing you have a full tier of harder challenges waiting for you. I have to say so far dual Tiggy is by far the hardest. Which I suppose is fitting as he is the cover beast.

Have you done all the arena challenges? All arenas with all weps. That shit gets crazy. For me i've got every badge except the big crown little crown. That shit is just too much.

Brian on
    edited March 2009
    Well, seems like the date being floated around now for Unite is June. Guess they had some Monster Hunter stuff at GDC '09. Couple of sites (gamespot, ign) have articles up. Of course, still no official date, just more general stuff.

Hopefully by June, I'll have accomplished whatever it is I needed to in MHF2, so that I can make the jump and become even more of a hopeless addict. Yay!

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited March 2009
    Let's hope Sony get off their asses and make a US Beta for Ad Hoc play. It might be able to bring more players in, and that's always a good thing :)

I need to get PS3 first though :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Let's hope Sony get off their asses and make a US Beta for Ad Hoc play. It might be able to bring more players in, and that's always a good thing :)

I couldn't agree more... I don't know that I'll be getting one any time soon, but I definitely -want- one. With MH Tri I may not need to get one though. We already have a 360 and a Wii.

But I do loves me some portable Monster Hunting.

Dyvion on
    edited April 2009
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357728

Box art and June release dat confirmed for Unite. So awesome.

corin7 on
    edited April 2009
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357728

Box art and June release dat confirmed for Unite. So awesome.

Yes and yes! Excellent news indeed. Guess June really was a more approximate date than I would've thought. That's fine though, hopefully I'll have finished up what I need in F2 by then!

Box art looks good too, though I am a total nerd in seeing it and thinking "that gunlancer is wearing cephalos armor? That doesn't provide any relevant armor skills!"

Also, for any PS3 folks with Home, they have a weird Monster Hunter promo trailer/advertisement in the theater; it's some weird british guy making a fool of himself on the streets, cut with video of players in Japan as well as some in-game action. It's probably made it's way onto the Youtubes by now.

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited April 2009
    I don't think anyone said June was the release date.
    We’ve also planned a surprise for all PSP gamers in June to let as many of you experience the game as possible.

Doesn't sound like a release date. Maybe a demo? Or ad-hoc party finally hitting the US PSN Store?

BUT that box art is badass.

Renzo on
  • BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, for any PS3 folks with Home, they have a weird Monster Hunter promo trailer/advertisement in the theater; it's some weird british guy making a fool of himself on the streets, cut with video of players in Japan as well as some in-game action. It's probably made it's way onto the Youtubes by now.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/47669.html

The bad reviews keep people away from this game and the ones that do pick it up are mostly smaktards and complain about the controls and say it's too hard, in fact that is what the reviewers also say. Bunch of fucking smaktards.

Brian on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I wish I could sit down with some reviewers and show them how to play. One of the 1up editors finally came around to the game but even he was crying about a lack of lock-on. Sandy vaginas.

Just seeing that boxart and realizing it is definetly coming to the states has me soo pumped.

<3 Monster Hunter sooo hard.

Any one know if you can download a Yian Garuga guild hall quest? I need to kill him a few times to make decorations for earplugs but hate playing solo. We would be dominating Black Grav now if I wasn't dying everytime he screamed. I have earplugs at 10 currently but need to get it to 15 and I don't any armor pieces with three slots avaliable for the upgraded ear plug jewel.

corin7 on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I wish I could sit down with some reviewers and show them how to play. One of the 1up editors finally came around to the game but even he was crying about a lack of lock-on. Sandy vaginas.

Just seeing that boxart and realizing it is definetly coming to the states has me soo pumped.

<3 Monster Hunter sooo hard.

Any one know if you can download a Yian Garuga guild hall quest? I need to kill him a few times to make decorations for earplugs but hate playing solo. We would be dominating Black Grav now if I wasn't dying everytime he screamed. I have earplugs at 10 currently but need to get it to 15 and I don't any armor pieces with three slots avaliable for the upgraded ear plug jewel.

I'm almost certain there is a Yian Garuga guild hall quest available for download.

Renzo on
    edited April 2009
    If you haven't done the elder garuga solo in awhile, I'd say it might be worth doing it there again rather than a download. Cause seriously, it might've been butt hard before, but now that you're leaps and bounds beyond it, with crazy gear and whatnot, your problems will more likely be that garuga dies before you can break his ear. :P

Alternately, you could work on the Rath Soul U set, which comes w/ High Grade Earplug, and is probably going to be in your top ten endgame armors anyway. I'm actually kind of tired seeing myself in that glorious azure armor, for how often I use it. Farming the rubies though, would be just a new form of torture.....

Elderlycrawfish on
    edited April 2009
    If you haven't done the elder garuga solo in awhile, I'd say it might be worth doing it there again rather than a download. Cause seriously, it might've been butt hard before, but now that you're leaps and bounds beyond it, with crazy gear and whatnot, your problems will more likely be that garuga dies before you can break his ear. :P

Alternately, you could work on the Rath Soul U set, which comes w/ High Grade Earplug, and is probably going to be in your top ten endgame armors anyway. I'm actually kind of tired seeing myself in that glorious azure armor, for how often I use it. Farming the rubies though, would be just a new form of torture.....

I have a full set of rath soul u for blademaster. I prefer using a bow though. I am kind of fond of my tiggy gunner armor as well. Yian Garuga was a puss even before I had good gear so I know he would be easy. I just find it hard to motivate myself to play at home when I could be playing something else. If there is download guild hall quest then it will be awesome so me and the partner can hit him up during lunch. Otherwise I will go with a plan B.

corin7 on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, I've finally purchased this game, seeing as it wouldn't get any cheaper anyhow. Unfortunately, i've got a PSP-3000, so no online multiplayer for me, appearently.

How's the singleplayer part of the game? I fear these kind of games can get mighty repetitive after some time, so I'd like to know what to expect (to be fair, the other alternative would have been Dungeon Siege: ToA, eh).

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited April 2009
    So, I've finally purchased this game, seeing as it wouldn't get any cheaper anyhow. Unfortunately, i've got a PSP-3000, so no online multiplayer for me, appearently.

How's the singleplayer part of the game? I fear these kind of games can get mighty repetitive after some time, so I'd like to know what to expect (to be fair, the other alternative would have been Dungeon Siege: ToA, eh).

Why?

Renzo on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You say I don't need to hack my PSP in order to play online? Because that'd be sweet :D

edit: Nope, I don't own a PS3, if that's what you've meant.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited April 2009

Honestly there is no game like this. So I am not sure if there is a precedent for it getting repetitive. I am 200 hours in now and still finding new challenges so I don't think you have much to worry about, you will get your moneys worth out of it if the gameplay clicks with you. Single player will be just as awesome though much more challenging on the higher level quests. Also if you have a PS3 you should be able to multiplayer with AD-Hoc party.

corin7 on
    edited April 2009
    Would you say it plays sorta like a MMORPG? Because that's the impression I got from the GT review. It looks like it's probably geared more towards the singleplayer experience, but considering I pretty much always solo'd in WoW, that wouldn't alter that much.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited April 2009
    Would you say it plays sorta like a MMORPG? Because that's the impression I got from the GT review. It looks like it's probably geared more towards the singleplayer experience, but considering I pretty much always solo'd in WoW, that wouldn't alter that much.

The gameplay is more like Street Fighter than a mmorpg. You don't level at all and there isn't a story to speak of. You improve by learning better tactics and timing. The only thing RPG about the game is the loot. It is more sim/action than rpg imo.

Honestly that description doesn't even do it justice. I tend to compare it to SF and I have seen a lot people compare it to Mega Man. The truth is there really is nothing like Monster Hunter which is why it is so hard to review it. It also tends to be a LOVE it or HATE it kinda game.

corin7 on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's nothing like any MMORPG out there, that's for sure (except Monster Hunter Frontier, of course, but that's simply Monster Hunter on the PC). There are no experience points/levels. There is a requisite amount of resource gathering and furry creature slaying (purely for the purposes of getting materials). You can have up to 4 players in local Ad-Hoc play.

The title of the game tells you exactly what you do. You hunt monsters. You kill or capture said monsters for parts for better gear. You hunt more monsters. The game is chock full of content, great animations (especially for a PSP title), and challenge. Monster Hunter is possibly one of the most difficult games out there, and the difficulty only ramps up from the beginning. The main problem is wrasslin' with the camera, but as long as you tap the L shoulder button and rotate the camera when your character is busy with an animation, you should be fine.

Also, there are two methods of getting online, neither of them involving hackz0rz. The first is Ad-Hoc Party on the PS3. The second is X-Link Kai on the PC, which requires a USB Wi-Fi dongle that supports promiscuous mode (there is a Linksys router that can be used, but you have to flash the firmware in order to do so).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited April 2009
    That sounds confusing as hell, to be honest. I think I'll just have to give the game a go and experience it myself.

What I gathered from reading the last few pages, the problems with the camera seem to be pretty huge, which sucks because that's what's keeping me from playing MGS: PO. Is it true that it becomes less of an problem when using ranged weapons?

Oh, and regarding online play, if I don't own a PS3 and can't hak my PSP, that pretty much a non-issue for me, right?

Alfred J. Kwak on