As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Apparently. I snore.

DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I can't be the only person afflicted by snoring and i've never really noticed it until recently but I'm hoping there are some simple remedies that actually work. I hear those nasal strip things don't do much and i've slept in a number of ways but the snoring persist.

Has anyone tried anything that actually works?

steam_sig.png
DasUberEdward on

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sudafed.

Thanatos on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It sounds odd, but wear a backpack to bed for a few nights. It'll force you to sleep on your side, where snoring is less pronounced.

Also, the nasal strips can work quite well. However, you need to be careful with them. If your nose is at all uhm... different, you can end up with lots of bloody noses. (My nose was broken as a kid, and never set correctly, so things that cause pressure on my nose like nasal strips do tend to make me bleed like crazy)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Losing weight worked for me. In university, I was up over 200 lb. due to a combination of crappy diet and lack of exercise. I also used to snore quite a lot, apparently. Since moving in with my girlfriend several years ago, junk food and crap fast food have almost completely disappeared from my life, and I currently weigh about 165, maybe less. My girlfriend confirmed several years back that I don't snore very much any more.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • korrianderkorriander Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Losing weight worked for me. In university, I was up over 200 lb. due to a combination of crappy diet and lack of exercise. I also used to snore quite a lot, apparently. Since moving in with my girlfriend several years ago, junk food and crap fast food have almost completely disappeared from my life, and I currently weigh about 165, maybe less. My girlfriend confirmed several years back that I don't snore very much any more.

This. A doctor told my boyfriend this just a little while ago. Losing weight almost always makes the snoring disappear.

korriander on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I snored, and it turned out that I had sleep apnea. I was given a CPAP machine to use every night, although I lost a bunch of weight and the sleep apnea seems to have gone away. My doctor told me that this might be a possibility.

Dalboz on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not really overweight but sure I guess I could be more healthy. My doctor has mentioned that sleep apnea may be a possibility because I had asthma pretty bad as a kid. I generally do not sleep on my back so the book bag thing is a bit of a moot point. Usually I sleep on my side anyway.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not really overweight but sure I guess I could be more healthy.
    It was only in hindsight that I realized how overweight I used to be. I mean, I wasn't really fat, but I was definitely a bit on the porky side. When I look at pictures from back then, I usually can't help but think "oh man I look pudgy in this photo". North Americans in general are the fattest they've ever been, so what people think of as "overweight" is scaling up as well, since it's all relative. It doesn't take much extra weight for me to start snoring. My snore came back for a while after I lived at a parent's house for a couple months, where junk food was readily available. With all that being said, if you're pretty lean already then talking to a doctor about other sleep issues might be the way to go.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Like others have said, losing weight could possibly help. Beyond that, I think it depends on how much the snoring is bothering you.

I wanted to do something about it because my snoring was disturbing my wife, so I use those Breathe Right throat strips. They seem to work for me.

JoeUser on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The thing about weight causing snoring is that you get fat pretty much everywhere -- including your throat. A fat neck means you have fat constricting your throat, and when you sleep you take particularly deep breaths you end up snoring.

That's also why a really loud snore sounds so much different from a light snore -- one's coming from the throat, the other is usually coming from the nose or the back of the mouth (and is more inconsistent).

Depending on your physiology, weight may have more or less of an impact. But yeah, if you're not fat, sleep on your side -- the backpack idea seems good.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have terrible sinuses and sometimes snore when they're really acting up. I can be fine all day then congested at night and snoring up a storm. The strips work when I'm sick and have trouble sleeping because I'm congested but I've never tried them preemptively.

VisionOfClarity on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah it's an issue of me waking someone up. I'll try the strips thing and see how that goes. I do exercise quite regularly so while i'm not ripped or anything I don't feel as though it could be said that i'm out of shape. Anyway thanks for all of the sound advice. I suppose this can be locked now as I don't think there's much else to be said.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah it's an issue of me waking someone up. I'll try the strips thing and see how that goes. I do exercise quite regularly so while i'm not ripped or anything I don't feel as though it could be said that i'm out of shape. Anyway thanks for all of the sound advice. I suppose this can be locked now as I don't think there's much else to be said.

Just a quick note about the throat strips: follow the directions. You're not supposed to drink anything a half hour before you use it, and that's made a difference for me.

JoeUser on