As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Max Payne 3 coming this Winter

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So Max Payne 3, despite the fact that Max's story seems concluded, we have some bald guy with a beard drawn in an art style seemingly more at home with GTA than Max Payne, and there's no PC version listed?

Hell yeah, this sounds awesome so far.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So Max Payne 3, despite the fact that Max's story seems concluded

Then again, you could say his story was concluded in 1.

I remain optimistic for more Noir goodness.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    So Max Payne 3, despite the fact that Max's story seems concluded, we have some bald guy with a beard drawn in an art style seemingly more at home with GTA than Max Payne, and there's no PC version listed?

They said PC

Like right in the press release

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    So Max Payne 3, despite the fact that Max's story seems concluded

I remain optimistic for more Noir goodness.
    There was nothing about him finding peace with everything that had happened in the first game. And there were actual plot lines still connected.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

They said PC

Like right in the press release

I can't read. That and I just had like five people link me to the little teaser website rather than a press release.

You could say that and it was a conclusion, yes. But with Max Payne 2, everyone is dead, Max seems to have accepted things and moved on. Where else can he go that won't just shit all over everything? Oh, right, Rockstar. Nevermind.

If Sam Lake isn't involved, I don't have any hope at all.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Why is everyone getting all upset over this

I mean come the fuck on, I liked the story too, but it is not the only good thing about the Max Payne games guys

Christ

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited March 2009

I mean come the fuck on, I liked the story too, but it is not the only good thing about the Max Payne games guys

Christ

It's one of the big things that still makes them worth playing when they feel slightly clunky now. There are other games that do third-person bullet time. There are other games now that have neat physics. There are other games with lots of shooting and guns.

The story is what makes them still really stand out. You can't just call a game Max Payne and expect everyone to be happy because we get a new Max Payne game. The series is so loved because it wasn't just about all the shooting.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not filled with the doom and gloom that others are, but I can see the concern. And I did like the story. It was a nice wrapper that gave a purpose to the shooting. Shooting just for shooting sake is okay (apparently, I need to check out Stranglehold) but it was the story and setting that drew me into the Max Payne games.

So, again, I can see the concerns. I'm just willing to wait and hope. My cynic hasn't turned it's baleful gaze upon this yet.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited March 2009

Christ

It is a pretty big part of it though.

I'm still optimistic though. The story of Max Payne is basically a noir story ramped up to 11 and directed by John Woo. It can't be that easy to mess up.

Antihippy on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Christ

It's one of the big things that still makes them worth playing when they feel slightly clunky now. There are other games that do third-person bullet time. There are other games now that have neat physics. There are other games with lots of shooting and guns.

The story is what makes them still really stand out. You can't just call a game Max Payne and expect everyone to be happy because we get a new Max Payne game. The series is so loved because it wasn't just about all the shooting.

Actually, the series is loved despite the overtly grimy shitty noir bullshit that permeated every cutscene and section of preposterously 14 year old fanfic dialogue.

This is an actual line from the game.
    The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free.

The_Scarab on
    edited March 2009
    Apparently I am the only human being who played the games once or twice, enjoyed the story, and then just skipped all the cutscenes or played Dead Man Walking for the umpteenth time

edit: See though, I enjoyed that Scarab. It's cheesy, funny dialogue like that that makes the story worth a damn

But again, it's not the only reason I liked the game. Hell, it's not even the main reason

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    edited March 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Christ

Actually, the series is loved despite the overtly grimy shitty noir bullshit that permeated every cutscene and section of preposterously 14 year old fanfic dialogue.

The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free.

You're apparently missing the point.

It's supposed to be like that. The first game especially was a hair's breadth from passing into satire if it didn't manage it to begin with.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2009

C'mon.

Those were awesome.

The whole overblown noirness is what makes it so enjoyable.

Antihippy on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

oh you are the worst

SithDrummer on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

he explains this!
    After Y2K, the end of the world had become a cliché. But who was I to talk, a brooding underdog avenger alone against an empire of evil out to right a grave injustice. Everything was subjective. There were only personal apocalypses. Nothing is a cliché when it's happening to you.

Local H Jay on
    edited March 2009
    I did really like the TV shows

Dick Justice and Lords and Ladies and Captain Baseball Bat Boy

Especially Address Unknown

Those were hilarious and the way they paralleled the story was cool

But it wasn't like, literary genius or anything

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Hell, in the first game, he referrences his comic book scenes and his game mode...and it is glorious.

They moved away from that in the second, but it was pretty damn good when that popped up in the original. Of course, I like things that pound on the fourth wall.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, the noir cheese is an important part of the game. It's what separates it from something like Strangehold, which was pretty and flashy but really dull. There are more than a few cringe-worthy lines, but a lot of them are fine and a good number actually have really cool turns of phrase.
    "The things that I want," by Max Payne. A smoke. A whiskey. For the sun to shine.

I want to sleep, to forget. To change the past. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill.

But right then, more than anything, I wanted her.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009

Christ

Did you know that someone advocated eating babies once? That person should be strung up, not be allowed to write stories about a normal person visiting giants and tiny people.

I'm constantly amazed that people still miss the point of it, even after all this time. It's just stunning.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know I remember when Max Payne 1 was first coming out. People were predicting that the bullet-time gimmick wouldn't be enough to make it a fun game that was enjoyable to the end. In the end, people agreed that the story and noir-pulp was really what made the game, and that the bullet time was just a cherry on top.

NickTheNewbie on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    I sure hope Järvi is working on this, at least. But if he's not, at least I won't have to even consider getting it.

Edit: Wait, what? What's all this about doubting the truth? Where did you get that from?

That would be Sam Lake, right? Yeah, if he's not involved, they're gonna have to pull something really special out to convince me the story will be good.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009

Christ

Did you know that someone advocated eating babies once? That person should be strung up, not be allowed to write stories about a normal person visiting giants and tiny people.

I'm constantly amazed that people still miss the point of it, even after all this time. It's just stunning.

There is a small but important difference between intentional satire and shit writing. Max Payne falls squarely in my opinion in the latter. And it is even more annoying when people defend it as having value as noir. For one thing, it's not noir. For another - saying it is a cliche does not excuse lazy writing and predictable narrative.

Furthermore, I have at no point said the game is bad. I thoroughly enjoyed both Max Payne games and await the next one with incredible levels of hype. But not because I give a flying fuck about the Max Payne character - I just want to shoot stuff. And this is not because 'I don't get it'.

The_Scarab on
    edited March 2009
    There is a small but important difference between intentional satire and shit writing. Max Payne falls squarely in my opinion in the latter. And it is even more annoying when people defend it as having value as noir. For one thing, it's not noir. For another - saying it is a cliche does not excuse lazy writing and predictable narrative.

Furthermore, I have at no point said the game is bad. I thoroughly enjoyed both Max Payne games and await the next one with incredible levels of hype. But not because I give a flying fuck about the Max Payne character - I just want to shoot stuff. And this is not because 'I don't get it'.
    No, you don't get it. You clearly, clearly don't get it. I'm sorry.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Scarab, I like you, you're a cool dude. But the story and writing in Max Payne is brilliant.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Has this been linked yet?
    20010730h.gif

Anyway, it had to happen sooner or later - I agree with Scarab. Don't get me wrong, the story bits are fun. They color Max's world and get you into the uber-noir of it all, but that's not why I fucking adore Max Payne 2. I love it because they reworked Bullet Time with 2.0 and more than any other shooter it really allowed you to be the hero in a bullet-fueled ballet of death.

I wanted Stranglehold to give me that same experience, but the word has already been used (aptly) - Stranglehold is arcadey. Despite a shitload of more moves, a cover system, the ability to slide along a trolly cart while spraying bullets, it all feels like it means a helluva lot less.

In Max Payne, every bullet counts. I want that game again, and given Rockstar's pedigree for storytelling I have nothing but faith in Rockstar Vancouver (Bully) to pull off another winner. Could they fuck it up by tacking on a bunch of bells and whistles and taking the franchise too far into a "new direction", as they've said? Sure.

But even if it's a franchise I'm not interested in (Midnight Club), Rockstar isn't in the habit of making bad games. Good until proven shitty, that's my take.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited March 2009
    Chance wrote: »
    I want that game again, and given Rockstar's pedigree for storytelling

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Every bullet counts in Max Payne?

Did I play some weird, strange version where it was a fun, but simple, third person shooter with blatantly satirical noir-esque writing?

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2009
    Seriously, the story is packed with layers of meaning and self-reference, how the hell is it just being dismissed as some cheap fake noir knock-off?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want that game again, and given Rockstar's pedigree for storytelling I have nothing but faith in Rockstar Vancouver (Bully) to pull off another winner. Could they fuck it up by tacking on a bunch of bells and whistles and taking the franchise too far into a "new direction", as they've said? Sure.

But even if it's a franchise I'm not interested in (Midnight Club), Rockstar isn't in the habit of making bad games. Good until proven shitty, that's my take.
    You know that Rockstar North is the studio responsible for most Rockstar games, not Vancouver, right? And that two studios under the same company can create games in a series that are really good or merely decent?

SithDrummer on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm sorry too.

Seriously. If you think the writing in MP was shit or lazy, I'd really like to know what you think of as good.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    Seriously, the story is packed with layers of meaning and self-reference, how the hell is it just being dismissed as some cheap fake noir knock-off?

It can only be packed with layers of meaning and self-reference if it was made in Japan.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
    edited March 2009
    I want that game again, and given Rockstar's pedigree for storytelling I have nothing but faith in Rockstar Vancouver (Bully) to pull off another winner. Could they fuck it up by tacking on a bunch of bells and whistles and taking the franchise too far into a "new direction", as they've said? Sure.

You know that Rockstar North is the studio responsible for most Rockstar games, not Vancouver, right? And that two studios under the same company can create games in a series that are really good or merely decent?

I know Vancouver did Bully, Bully was genius, and that Rockstar isn't Ubisoft.

Chance on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fuck regenerating health!

TheBog on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Bully however was an original IP. Give a company a separate IP which was great and had a great story to boot and tell them to make a new one. It is a crapshoot of where it's going to go, let alone whether or not it's going to be good. We already know it's not going to be in the same setting as the first one. That troubles me as noir and New York just go so well together.

I want to like it and I hope it will be good, but unfortunately I'm realistic and know what happens when a completely different set of people begin work on a great series. Either way at least we will always have the first two.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited March 2009

Oh well you convinced me. Nicely done.

The_Scarab on
  • LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I will only buy this game if there are more Address Unknown episodes.

Lingxor on
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    THIS IS TRUE?

BEST. NEWS. EVER.

Going to post back in the thread when I find a change of pants.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
    edited March 2009
    Cronus wrote: »

Bully however was an original IP. Give a company a separate IP which was great and had a great story to boot and tell them to make a new one. It is a crapshoot of where it's going to go, let alone whether or not it's going to be good. We already know it's not going to be in the same setting as the first one. That troubles me as noir and New York just go so well together.

I want to like it and I hope it will be good, but unfortunately I'm realistic and know what happens when a completely different set of people begin work on a great series. Either way at least we will always have the first two.

Well that's a good point. At least we can agree that we both hope it'll be good.

Chance on
  • SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, they probably went with the (spoilers)
    Normal ending, with Mona dying? Thats too bad. It fit more with the games, but, you just feel like at the end of all that Max deserves some happiness.

Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Sepah on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I find it terribly suspicious that after
    Mona dies
    Max grows a beard.

Perhaps the new direction Max's life has taken is more fabulous than anyone thought?

reVerse on
This discussion has been closed.