As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PierceDump

PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
edited January 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hello, I believe I've posted a couple of these in the doodle thread. And then took them down, but I don't remember why. So I decided to start a thread and maybe get some feedback on what I can do to improve.

PS - Let me know if the pictures don't show up. I'm at work and websense wont let me see photobucket pictures, so I'm running on faith that the links are correct.

These were done with Prismacolor markers.

Skull flowers thing
I completely forgot about the blender marker when I did this, which would explain the "bands" of shading. Also, I don't know how to draw flowers.
SkullFlower.jpg

Tree on a floating island
This I feel I screwed up with the light source when making the darker orange parts of the floating island.
Tree.jpg

Scarecrow guy
I got lazy with the body here, but I really like how the head turned out.
Scarecrow.jpg

Crocomire
Then this one I obviously didn't color. He's supposed to be one of the mini-bosses from Super Metroid. But I was working from memory and probably didn't get it right. One thing I really have trouble with is claws/knuckles. They never look right to me.
Crocomire.jpg

I've also decided I need a better quality scanner, or need to learn how to adjust the properties right.

Anyways, have at it!

steam_sig.png
PierceNeck on

• Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty clean marker technique and excellent linework. Pumpkin and jack o lantern are weakest because they have a greater deal of perspective involved. Seems like you are just drawing flat with no draw-through. I suggest practicing drawing cylinders and geometric shapes to better understand volume.

When you do that, draw lines around the form, so that you have a light wireframe. Then go over the wireframe with darker marks on the parts that we can actually see. This will help you develop your own language for volume and also teach you about decision making.

PROX on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You'd be good at tattoo designs, at least with those first two. I dig the skull, but I don't like the type of flower attached (personal thing, probably).

I agree that you should work on your perspective. The first two work well, but they're really static.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    [Hugs][Candy][Bacon]I actually really like these... although I do see what they mean about the jacko lantern guy being kind of flat... I think maybe just a bit of reworking the shading would fix that though, the actual line work seems to accommodate the form fine.. The only thing I really see is the tree doesnt really work for me as a tree. It looks more like some sort of underwater plant. I get that it's super stylized and what not, but I think using some tree references or other artists representations of trees might help capture the feel better. (You may not have sexual fantasies about trees like me though so it may not be as important) anyway, wrapped my crits in hugs, candy AND bacon because I like these and hell, who doesn't like bacon?[/Bacon][/Candy][/Hugs]

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Scarecrow guy
    Scarecrow.jpg

[CANDY][HUGS]I like this the best. Only problem is somethings up with the buttons on his shirt. Makes the perspective look a little wacky. Otherwise, totally cool. [/CANDY][/HUGS]

EDIT: Dammit JOHNtwm!!! Beat me to it!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Scarecrow guy
    Scarecrow.jpg

[CANDY][HUGS]I like this the best. Only problem is somethings up with the buttons on his shirt. Makes the perspective look a little wacky. Otherwise, totally cool. [/CANDY][/HUGS]

[Win]This is why I am win.[/Win]

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sorry, wasn't trying to stir up anything.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    Weird... I got a "warning" for this.. not exactly sure why lol. It reads as follows

" Dear JohnTWM,

You have received a warning at Penny Arcade Forums.

Reason:

Minor Offense

Cut down on the posts to nowhere please.

Original Post:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=7319394
    quote:
    [Win]This is why I am win.[/Win]

Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
    Penny Arcade Forums"

BIZARRE

Try and stay on-topic, your post didn't add anything to the discussion of PierceNeck's work.

If you have further quesitons, PM the mod that infracted you.

PierceNeck, I'm liking your stuff, but I think you could stand to push your shading a little further. Your stuff is really saturated and bright, but there's very little tonal variation between the bits that are directly lit and the bits that should be in shadow - adding in harder, darker shadows will probably give your drawings more depth.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alright, I'm working on perspective and what not using Prox's suggestion.

As far as the brightness, that really is due to my scanners quality. They're darker in person. For example, the teeth on the scarecrow are actually yellow/brownish. There's lots of grays in there, too. But not showing up when I scan. I tried messing with the setting to darken it, but it seems my scanner just doesn't seem to register certain colors/color combinations.

What I'll try to do is use my friends scanner, his seems to be a lot better than mine. See if maybe that addresses some of the things you're seeing here. Though I'm sure that I can still use some work in those areas anyways.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    you've got an interesting take on color composition, but some of your color choices come across as rather jarring in combination - the bright blue of the tree next to the neon orange looks particularly harsh at first glance, and there really isn't much variety in actual value - take your pictures into photoshop and desaturate them all the way so that they're black and white - they're almost entirely neutral. You'd get a much stronger effect, especially on the scarecrow fella, if you were to emphasize form using value and color contrast more, rather than using such bright, almost garish color.

Of course, depending ont he markers you're using, your palette may be a bit limited, but it is something to consider. Even on your black and white pencil sketch of the crocomire, I'm really only seeing two tones - white and lightish grey with a little variety, with full black only being used for the linework and the dark shadow directly underneath the main form. You'll get a much stronger effect using value throughout to render the shapes according to light source and overall composition.

your lines tend to be a bit neutral, as well, as you only seem to have one real width of them - giving them a little more variety of weight to help depict the form would add a lot more depth and volume to the drawings. Your sense of form and line flow, however, are solid, and you've got some pretty fun ideas to draw there. Keep it up.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i think your pencilwork on that last one is pretty strong, its my absolute favorite of the ones you posted, maybe redraw it with that in front of you and really give it some good contrast with pencils, i think it could really turn into something good.

also as for markers, i like what you're doing, i should pick up my markers again, i tried prismas for a while, but i use copics now, have you tried copic markers before? they are a dream.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    by dream she means expensive like woah

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    by dream she means expensive like woah

they are refillable though, i saved up for mine and they will last me my whole life as long as i buy ink replacements when i need them, even the nibs are replaceable.

they draw like paintbrushes and blend like orgasms.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wtf theres a blender marker? Shit, what have I been missing out on?

Yeah. Copics are nicer, I have some for flesh, but they're easy to combine.

That blue tree is great. And pumpkin head is awesome. For more colours without more pens, you could always drag these into photoshop and add more depth to them. I've also found you can layer markers of different colours for some interesting effects.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't have photoshop. :( So I'm stuck with whatever I can do by hand.

I've never heard of Copics either. Hopefully I'll have some stuff to put up here by next weekend for a progress report.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hello everyone! Guess what! I didn't practice anything I was told to practice because I'm stupid! And now that I am shamed... I present ever more things. And I still suck at getting good scans. On the bright side, I plan on attending Art Center in a couple semesters (entertainment design) and now I have to take figure drawing and what not, in order to finish my portfolio.

I don't know what this guy is.
    GiantHeadedLizard-Toad-ManGuy.jpg

A new version of the other skull flower thing.
    skullflower2.jpg

This was supposed to be a necromancer from WoW, but then I looked at a screen shot of a necro. And it's not a necro. Haha.
    necromancer.jpg

I was thinking of a yeti when I drew this.
    Yeti.jpg

This was supposed to be a great unclean one from WH, but after looking around on the internets, it appears they dont have wings. Or sluggy tails.
    GreatUncleanOne.jpg

Commence the beatings.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GiantHeadedLizard-Toad-ManGuy.jpg
    you are one masochistic bastard
    be sure to tell us how that Carpal Tunnel is coming

But in all seriousness, I'm really digging your style. Very clean, very professional looking.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah cool stuff.

I would recommend trying to put some of your characters in some sort of an environment because compositionally these are somewhat lacking. Some of the character designs are great, like the last one, but they're all just floating in a void.

Also some thicker lines here and there might help things a bit.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah environments are something I've been meaning to learn. I don't know why I don't try them.

As for different line sizes, I used different sized lines a bit in the skull flower thing.... but very limited. (i think just the detail on the skull part) and some thicker lines for the outlines of the yeti. I guess I'm just afraid of having some big dumpy lines going through the character.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    really like your drawings dude. They have a feel to me like something you would find airbrushed onto a hotrod or a harley. -Brrrmmmm-

They look good flat but as mentioned you need to add more depth. Try shading with a more realistic approach rather than keeping the image flat with the shading you have. Keep the posting up mate :)

Leggraphics on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    /candy

I like your drawings but I really think you should study the grayscale in relation to not only color but applying just circular objects shade on. This will help you give it different tones if this is what you seek

/hugs

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok so what I'm getting from this thread so far is...

I need to work on perspective, faces look flat and so on.
    Need to work on shading so it doesn't seem flat. (which I tried tonight and will scan in a bit later)
    I need to get more contrast between my colors, meaning if I were to switch them to gray scale they'd look like they were one color. Which isn't good. (right?)
    And different sized lines. So... use a thicker pen or what? This one confuses me.

EDIT: I had tried the thing Prox suggested for perspective on rounded objects, but it never looked right. I think I was doing it wrong.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    In a grayscale it would most definitely all generally be gray

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Haha, I meant like the same shade of gray. Instead of darker/lighter. Like if I took one shade of gray and colored the whole thing that way, rather than using different shades.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    yesh

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Use this it's hella helpful.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That really is.

However, how do I incorporate that into things like this one, without giving it a comic booky feel? I do see how it would be very useful in a lot of the other things I've done though.

EDIT:

Also you guys were saying my shadings flat, so I tried to do better with this one. Don't know if this is what you guys meant though. It's not supposed to be anatomically correct or anything, just something quick to try shading.

skull.jpg

The problem I'm having (if this is the right way?) is that the grays have 10%>20%>30%... and so on. But other colors don't have that, so I'm having trouble figuring out what colors to use, etc.

EDIT x2: Is there a better way to blend, than using the blending marker? It doesn't seem to be working very well. (prismacolors)

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok so I tried the whole varying line size thing. Did I do it right?

First one is basically something I drew before, that you can see earlier in the thread. My friend darkened everything in illustrator (i think that's what he used), so that it would look cleaner.
    skullflowerfornatfixed.jpg

And then I did this today.
    worldtree.jpg

I think I'm going to stay away from color for awhile, until I can get black and white down.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah that's lookin nice. The second one looks great, but it needs the contrast to be bumped up a bit, like in the first one.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    How's this? I know there's no varying line sizes and such, but I wanted to mess around with colors. I probably screwed up some light sourcing junk, too.

scan0001.jpg

Edit: Cool, I managed to break all my previous links. I'll have to remember that next time I re-organize my photobucket.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I was wondering what happened. Honestly, I see what everyone is saying about the line thickness thing. This drawing is pretty rad, but it just isnt as interesting to the eye as say, the example drawing in that tutorial, and I think this is due to the lack of line variation. Even just making the little horizontal lines on the tubing and the rounded metal parts a different size from say, the lines defining the little circle lights I think would help. Maybe thickening up the outer lines around the little flap things on this crotchal area?
    Things like that. I'm no expert (this is actually something I'm working on right now too) but maybe someone else who knows what they are talking about around here can give you some better specific advice.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think I'll go back, thicken up some lines here and there. Then rescan it for comparisons.

I'll also go back and redo the links so they show up again.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'll also go back and redo the links so they show up again.

Cool cause I really liked some of the old stuff and was all ike dubya tee eff when it was gone lol.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    PojPoj Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow, that last one is fantastic... haven't been able to see anything else because of the linkage issue, but I'll wait patiently.

I can't say too much about HOW to do this because I am really a catastrophe with markers, but I feel like you should try using a tool that really give you absolute black for your background (assuming that's what you're going for). It SEEMS to be what you're going for, but the background still looks a tad scrappy just because of the inconsistent marker lines.

Poj on
    007-sig-1.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Ok so all the links should be working again. As for the black background, I could try my jet black marker, but it'd probably have the same issue. On paper it looks fine, it isn't until I scan it that that shows up. I was thinking maybe going over the black areas again, except on the back of the page? Or maybe some construction paper that the light wont shine through as easily? I don't know. And that's actually after I had darkened the scan a bit. Everything seems bleached when I scan something, and I don't know how to get around it.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    My guess is your scanner is adjusting the brightness and contrast automatically; see if there's any setting to turn that sort of thing off, and do your own levels adjustments in PS. Additionally, yeah, if you've got some thicker paper, that might help, as well, to a certain extent. I wouldn't go over the back with black, though; that'd only waste ink. Oh, speaking of ink, third option might be India ink.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I let this thread die awhile ago, but with the new AC Resolutions thread going on, I'm bringing it back.

Anyways, here's the first two I put up. Tell me everything that's wrong with them. Other than them floating in space, I'll work on backgrounds at some point. I promise! Also, the second isn't finished, but whatever. I made his thumb too big and its bothering me.

Also, I've been working on the line thickness thing mentioned earlier in the thread.

CyberDemon.jpg

Ridley.jpg

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MottMott Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    'Tree on the floating island' is cool; get a bunch of them together to make an awesome alien landscape panoramic. The monsters are also great (could maybe do with a less bright color pallet to complete them though :P)

Mott on
    allguys.gif
    Pirate Baby's Cabana Street Fight
  • Options
    L.E.O.L.E.O. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    you gots some skills going on here, keep it up.

L.E.O. on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    How do I change the title of this thread to something less stupid?

dog.jpg
    Heroman.jpg
    dragonogre.jpg
    stuff.jpg
    mario1.jpg
    mario2.jpg
    scene.jpg
    blarg.jpg
    thing.jpg
    tmnt.jpg
    woody.jpg

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    How do I change the title of this thread to something less stupid?

Doubleclick the thread title in the forum list.

bombardier on