As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Myth Bustin'] April Fools 2009

EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MANRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
We find ourselves at the magical time of year where print magazines, if they still existed or if anyone read them, would have overwhelmed us with ridiculous April Fool's gags. This thread is to wade through the bullshit that will be inundating our internet tubes in the coming week and to relive some of the previous years pranks.

In Recent Memory:

2008 - IGN Releases The Legend of Zelda Movie Trailer
Strangely preceded by .gifs appearing on various websites, IGN drops the bomb, and it doesn't look as terrible as many other video game movies end up being.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oqwFNKN8MA

2007 - Think Geek's 8-Bit Tie
Stylish and nerdy, Think Geek eventually produced and sold the tie due to incredible demand.

2003 (?) - Pandarens join Warcraft 3 as 5th Race
Blizzard shot up an entire mini-site to the lovable furballs. The Frozen Throne did see the birth of Pandaren Brewmaster mecenary units, and the pen and paper gamers based on World Of Warcraft allows the creation of Pandaren heroes.

2002 - EGM "reveals" how to unlock Sonic and Tails in Super Smash Brothers Melee
And the internet is still reeling, even after Brawl's release.

2001 - Bungie announces Pimps at Sea
And every year they add a little to it. There's even a T-Shirt. A man can dream.

April Fool's! It's Actually REAL!
Games that have been announced during late march that lead to skepticism are few and far between, but Nights (Wii), Mario and Sonic at the Summer Games, and Rock Band were in fact not figments of our collective imagination.

What's in-store for '09?
karidontknow.jpg

Habitual offenders such as Blizzard, ThinkGeek and IGN undoubtedly have tricks up their sleeves, and until then the following images are placeholders.

busted.jpgplausible.jpgconfirmed.jpg

Until that magical day happens stumbles us again, let's talk about our favorite gags from yesteryear.

FyreWulff wrote: »
I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
EvilBadman on

• BrianBrian Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember I think it was SOE did one a couple years back saying all the big MMO companies agreed to make all of their games unite and people could take their chars and play in the other games with their friends and vice versa. EQ bards rolling with FFXI warriors and such.

Brian on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, how do you not mention Sheng Long?

UnbreakableVow on
  • MouschiMouschi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't forget Google, as far as geeky April Foolery goes. Remember GMail Paper?

Mouschi on
    1848717-1.png
    Gamertag: Cunning Hekate // League of Legends: FeroxPA
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, how do you not mention Sheng Long?

Because I wanted someone else to. Please enlighten us. :D

EvilBadman on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about GIA's somewhat infamous FF8 Gaiden, which was one of the first really well-done fake videogame April Fool's jokes?

Vincent Grayson on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Every year there's been a new Street Fighter game since SF2 - EGM has claimed Sheng Long is a hidden boss character with insane requirements to encounter (like, eight perfects and going five or so rounds with Bison ending in ties)

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Every year there's been a new Street Fighter game since SF2 - EGM has claimed Sheng Long is a hidden boss character with insane requirements to encounter (like, eight perfects and going five or so rounds with Bison ending in ties)

Well, EGM can go die in a fire

Oh wait....

Viscountalpha on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    All Bonds. Goldeneye. EGM.

Friendships were destroyed.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
    edited March 2009
    High five, viscount.

EvilBadman on
    edited March 2009

Oh wait....

I'm sure they would have done it yet again this year if they were still around

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Oh, and let's not forget Mushroom Kingdom Hearts and Lego Halo

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Oh wait....

Technically Sheng Long is in SFIV under his real name, not the confusion from Ryu's win quote in SFII.
    One of Gouken's titles is even "Also known as Sheng Long".

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I thought Youtube Rick-Rolling everyone was pretty good. :^:

Kris on
    edited March 2009
    Feriluce wrote: »

Oh wait....

Technically Sheng Long is in SFIV under his real name, not the confusion from Ryu's win quote in SFII.
    One of Gouken's titles is even "Also known as Sheng Long".

This is EGM we're talking about here

The only thing that would stop them from doing it again would be if they stopped making EGM

And oh hey, would you look at that

Arcibi on
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ww_realistic.jpg

EGM does it best.

Sir Platypus on
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One I remember reading and was foolish enough to believe at the time was in C&VG I think it was. They had a preview for a fighting game that included characters from many games from a couple different companies. Tekken, Soul Blade, Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers etc... it may have been just Namco and Sega games, but I'm not sure.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    edited March 2009
    One I remember reading and was foolish enough to believe at the time was in C&VG I think it was. They had a preview for a fighting game that included characters from many games from a couple different companies. Tekken, Soul Blade, Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers etc... it may have been just Namco and Sega games, but I'm not sure.

Just so we're clear, you're not talking about Fighters Megamix, right?

EvilBadman on
    edited March 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Just so we're clear, you're not talking about Fighters Megamix, right?

Nope, definitely not. I think that's where they got the idea though. It was called something similar, like Fighters Ultramix or something to that effect.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    this is my favorite one of all--

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/hats-ties/9352/

The joke was on them when everyone actually wanted one.

Viscountalpha on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kris wrote: »

As much as I loathe Rick-Rolling that was easily my favourite one last year.

I saw that and thought to myself well played Youtube.

Well Played.

Kelor on
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

No good sir, the joke is on you.

edit: it's already mentioned in the op

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kelor wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »

As much as I loathe Rick-Rolling that was easily my favourite one last year.

I saw that and thought to myself well played Youtube.

Well Played.

the best rick roll i ever got was being awake at 4AM, watching MTV, and seeing a show called busted. It was really stupid, basically, but ridiculous and easy to laugh at in my sleep-deprived state.

So anyways I fumble into MTV's section on on demand and see they have a few episodes. Flipping through the descriptions I found most of them were just really boring "getting busted" stories.

Until I hit the motherlode. This episode was gonna be so awesome, it had sex and drugs and violence. So I hit OK to order it, and Rick Astley pops up on the screen.

I sat there in quiet silence for the 4 minute duration of the song. With my mouth wide open. I had been fooled, just when I thought it was safe.

Hell MTV even went through the trouble to lie about the runtime of the video in the description.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still remember EGM had one where you could unlock nude mode in one of the DOA Beach Volleyballs. "Rock on, you pervs!" The letters sent in the next issue were great.

Chrono Helix on
    edited March 2009

No good sir, the joke is on you.

edit: it's already mentioned in the op

:(

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2009
    C&VG also had a nude cheat for the original Tomb Raider on the PS. You had to tap a bunch of buttons on the controller to the beat of the Spice Girls song Wannabe.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't remember which magazine it was but someone put up a gore code for Mortal Kombat on the SNES and then showed screenshots of extra special gory finishers, like Kano ripping someone in half.

I must have spent 2 days trying to get those cheats to work on a friends SNES.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    No April fools is complete without a gag race/class/unit from Blizzard for one of their games.

Echo on
    edited March 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    No April fools is complete without a gag race/class/unit from Blizzard for one of their games.

Something like the new protoss in SC3 will have hybrid human/protoss infiltrators.

Viscountalpha on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

They should actually do one on April Fool's Day this year.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was a fan of Blizzard's low-tech Molten Core console game. Sure, it was supposed to be obviously fake... but it was still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGom_CCz4so

Monsty on
    edited March 2009

Something like the new protoss in SC3 will have hybrid human/protoss infiltrators.

I want a bard class wielding electric guitars... that looked awesome.
    At least they have the Tauren Chieftains.

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wizards of the Coast brought out a sneak preview of the 4th edition D&D character sheet last year, which was chock full of jokes; I can't seem to find it online any more, though.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Marked for reading + 4e joke sheet.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080401b

Traikan on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, we're talking about the best April Fool's jokes, huh?
    In my mind, nothing beats EGM's AFD 2005.
    EGM wrote:
    Preorder deals for videogames tend to fall into three categories:enticing(like the Resident Evil 4 making-of DVD), typical (the Metroid Prime 2: Echoes T-shirt), and incredibly lame (one extremely useless Need for Speed Underground 2 cheat code). But not Nintendo's upcoming giveaway--this one's easily in a class of its own.

Beggining the first day of April, those who plop down at least $10 on this fall's highly anticipated and mature-looking The Legend of Zelda for GameCube will receive a bonus disc that features a visually remade version of Link's 2003 adventure, The Wind Waker. So instead of a cartoony look, the ever-popular elf will be traveling the oceean blue in search of his little sis with the same superslick and grown-up graphics as the next console installment.

But that's not all: The game will also include two full-length dungeons that were cut from the original Wind Waker because series creator and legendary game designers Shigeru Miyamoto felt "it had gotten too big for all ages to play." Told you this oh-so-sweet deal deserves its own category.
    gb_egm.jpg

I fell for this one hardcore. Really didn't help that the local EB Games was swearing it was real and accepting pre-orders whilst trumpeting "updated Wind Waker" as a bonus.

Rent on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow, that's evil. I had no problems with how Windwaker looked(it was awesome), but still I would punch a nun to get that version.

That's just mean mean mean!

Monsty on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    One year, Blizzard's aprils fools was that there would be playable two-headed ogres in WoW, controlled by two players at the same time and I actually believed it.

Peewi on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, how did anybody fall for any of EGM's stuff after Street Fighter 2?

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So since this is the Bustin' thread, I chalk up Onlive as a definite April Fool's joke. It just wouldn't work, the lag is way too noticeable. Wikipedia says that the transfer speed through a DVI cable (so from your computer to your screen) is 3.96 Gbit/s, that's what it would have to match. They say that 1.5 Mbit/s will be enough for SD... sure fellas.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about GIA's somewhat infamous FF8 Gaiden, which was one of the first really well-done fake videogame April Fool's jokes?

Yeah, I miss that site. They always had great April Fools' stuff. The FF8 Gaiden one even got picked up in a pretty decent number of print publications, as I recall.

Dehumanized on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah, I miss that site. They always had great April Fools' stuff. The FF8 Gaiden one even got picked up in a pretty decent number of print publications, as I recall.

I thought it quite fitting that their "We're closing forever" announcement came on April Fool's Day (2002, IIRC), and no one was sure if it was real.

Vincent Grayson on