As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Myth Bustin'] April Fools 2009

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about GIA's somewhat infamous FF8 Gaiden, which was one of the first really well-done fake videogame April Fool's jokes?

Yeah, I miss that site. They always had great April Fools' stuff. The FF8 Gaiden one even got picked up in a pretty decent number of print publications, as I recall.

I thought it quite fitting that their "We're closing forever" announcement came on April Fool's Day (2002, IIRC), and no one was sure if it was real.

Well, can always take a few moments to remember.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010210021946/www.thegia.com/news/n990401b.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/20001216000900/www.thegia.com/features/f000402.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/20010304041050/www.thegia.com/news/n990401a.html

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Monsty wrote: »
    I was a fan of Blizzard's low-tech Molten Core console game. Sure, it was supposed to be obviously fake... but it was still funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGom_CCz4so

Buahaha.

That's brilliant.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    When Valve renamed their editing program Hammer Editor from Worldcraft on April 1st years back, I remember a much of people thought it was an AFJ because the change was just so arbitary...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What about GIA's somewhat infamous FF8 Gaiden, which was one of the first really well-done fake videogame April Fool's jokes?

Yeah, I miss that site. They always had great April Fools' stuff. The FF8 Gaiden one even got picked up in a pretty decent number of print publications, as I recall.

I thought it quite fitting that their "We're closing forever" announcement came on April Fool's Day (2002, IIRC), and no one was sure if it was real.

wait a minute...
    Resident Evil Snap = Dead Rising?!?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The Gmail invite-only beta launched on April 1st, 2004. I seem to recall everyone thinking, "Ha ha, oh man, webmail with over a gig of space. That is a good one, Google. ...Google? Oh, it's real." D:

Taximes on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The GIA was the best gaming site of all time. :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    The GIA was the best gaming site of all time. :(
    I totally agree. :cry:

Monsty on
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The programmer behind 'The Opera' mod for the original half-life always went to a fair bit of effort for april fools. My favourite was probably the last one before the actual first release of the mod, when the news page proudly proclaimed that the game was done and could be downloaded today. What it actually was however, was a fairly full featured John Woo flavoured Zork clone. You opened the mail box and a dove flies out. You get chased (through a house?) by a limo and have a gun fight on the edge of a cliff.

Still a fairly cruel trick to pull on the fans considering the mod was Duke Nukem Forever levels of 'long awaited'.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    mrsnackroadmrsnackroad Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mrsnackroad on
  • Options
    ZwaZwa Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Feriluce wrote: »
    C&VG also had a nude cheat for the original Tomb Raider on the PS. You had to tap a bunch of buttons on the controller to the beat of the Spice Girls song Wannabe.

I fell for that one and the fighting one too. I was somewhat gullible back then.

I miss the old CVG though.

Zwa on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wasn't Rock Band announced on April 1st, and everyone thought it was a joke? That should be the new kind of April Fools', since I usually take everything I read on the day with a massive handful of salt.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    So since this is the Bustin' thread, I chalk up Onlive as a definite April Fool's joke. It just wouldn't work, the lag is way too noticeable. Wikipedia says that the transfer speed through a DVI cable (so from your computer to your screen) is 3.96 Gbit/s, that's what it would have to match. They say that 1.5 Mbit/s will be enough for SD... sure fellas.

Bandwidth isn't the issue at all, it's been done with StreamMyGame for some time now. People are streaming Crysis/FC2/FO3/etc to their EeePCs. :P

It's the latency, and while regular network lag in games can be compensated for and adjusted, input lag is much more noticeable. It would have to be kept under 20ms round-trip at absolute most. I think that's a pipe dream right now.

Oh, and related to the picture in the OP - doesn't she have a bun in the oven now? :winky:

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't remember which year it was, but Blizzard had a joke where one of the new races for WoW was going to be the two-headed ogre. You'd be paired randomly with another user, and you'd be two different classes.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My favorite April Fools was PSM's Valkyrie Wilde game preview.

valkyrie2.jpg

I recall a news channel actually picking up the preview and doing an inflammatory piece about nude videogames.

Also, the "Play as Akuma" in RE2 gag from EGM was great because you had to beat the game in 3 hours with only the knife.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I also seem to remember a fake expansion they were going to release before Burning Crusade, bragging about all the new, amazing features they would add to WoW. Then you got to the screenshots and it was WC3.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    So since this is the Bustin' thread, I chalk up Onlive as a definite April Fool's joke. It just wouldn't work, the lag is way too noticeable. Wikipedia says that the transfer speed through a DVI cable (so from your computer to your screen) is 3.96 Gbit/s, that's what it would have to match. They say that 1.5 Mbit/s will be enough for SD... sure fellas.

Bandwidth isn't the issue at all, it's been done with StreamMyGame for some time now. People are streaming Crysis/FC2/FO3/etc to their EeePCs. :P

It's the latency, and while regular network lag in games can be compensated for and adjusted, input lag is much more noticeable. It would have to be kept under 20ms round-trip at absolute most. I think that's a pipe dream right now.

Oh, and related to the picture in the OP - doesn't she have a bun in the oven now? :winky:

Quite a large one from the video on the Mythbuster's site. She's probably due in April or May.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DVD_SandwichDVD_Sandwich Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember back in the Pokémon blue/red/green/yellow days, there was a rumor (which originally appeared on nintendo.com) about unlocking Luigi by going to a certain point with certain pokémon in your party, and holding your game boy upside down.

i tried to find a link, but i cant find it...

DVD_Sandwich on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember back in the Pokémon blue/red/green/yellow days, there was a rumor (which originally appeared on nintendo.com) about unlocking Luigi by going to a certain point with certain pokémon in your party, and holding your game boy upside down.

i tried to find a link, but i cant find it...

I've heard a lot of stupid Pokémon rumors, but never anything like that.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    For the record, Wikipedia has a list of all Google pranks.

Taximes on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Mew is behind the truck! You need this pokemon with these skills and do it at this time of day after battling with this person in order to move the truck. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    the only reason pokemon myths worked was
    A) missingno happened and got me 99 master balls
    B) the majority of it's players were gullible 4th graders (myself included)

i can remember doing the cloning trick in gold/silver too.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Crashmo wrote: »
    I also seem to remember a fake expansion they were going to release before Burning Crusade, bragging about all the new, amazing features they would add to WoW. Then you got to the screenshots and it was WC3.

Actually they were advertising WC3 as a game based on WoW instead of the other way around

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Okay, Sea Pimps sounded pretty good on the wiki page, and then I got to "Mermaid sea bitches" and completely lost it. Thank god nobody walked into my office at that point.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The thing about many of Blizzard's jokes, which always makes me sad, is that often times the ideas are brilliant and I always end up mad that they are fake.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait wait...Valkyrie Wilde was fake?!

Also couple years back Everquest had a patch for updated models. They turned out to be red stick figures. I might still have a screenshot of that on my photobucket.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    SOE played a cruel, cruel joke on gamers for years - it was called Star Wars Galaxies.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We don't talk about those days.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    the only reason pokemon myths worked was
    A) missingno happened and got me 99 master balls
    B) the majority of it's players were gullible 4th graders (myself included)

i can remember doing the cloning trick in gold/silver too.

You mean the one where you switch boxes and turn off the Game Boy while it's saving? That was great.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Or copy a pokemon to another cartridge by shutting off the source game about 1/2 a second before it says "trade complete" so the other side thinks it's complete and the source hasn't registered it yet? Yeah, we distributed so many Mews that way..

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Or copy a pokemon to another cartridge by shutting off the source game about 1/2 a second before it says "trade complete" so the other side thinks it's complete and the source hasn't registered it yet? Yeah, we distributed so many Mews that way..

And then you do it wrong and get stuck with two Ratatas.

Peewi on
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This one, immediately comes to mind. Whoever set that up did a fairly good job as it was rather elaborate.

I know that I have an old EGM or something around here somewhere that highlights some more pranks as well.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wasn't that futuristic Zelda game hoax an April Fools from a couple of years back?

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to say, I kind of want to see that Zelda movie even though Link looks like Michael Jackson.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was so mad when I found out Lego Halo was an April Fools joke. The little lego Master Cheif looked so awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    What was the last prank that EGM did? I think it was Mushroom Kingdom Hearts but I'm not sure.

Its kind of weird that we won't be getting one from them this year. 1up will probably do something though.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I was so mad when I found out Lego Halo was an April Fools joke. The little lego Master Cheif looked so awesome.

That one's actually real, if you replace "Lego" with "Mega Bloks."

http://www.n4g.com/xbox360/News-270785.aspx

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    Every year there's been a new Street Fighter game since SF2 - EGM has claimed Sheng Long is a hidden boss character with insane requirements to encounter (like, eight perfects and going five or so rounds with Bison ending in ties)

sorry if someone else posted it but you had to perfect every round up to bison then go 99 rounds with him (draw every round) then Sheng Long would appear.

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I liked when Blizzard announced the ability to order Panda Express in-game, through Pandaren NPC's of course. I believe it was poking fun at EQ2's real service with Pizza Hut.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still remember getting a call when I stepped out of class one day:

"Dude, I just read an article in EGM that says how to unlock Sonic in Smash Brothers! I've been trying it all morning but I can't get it to work, have you heard of it?"

I didn't have the heart to discourage him.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Was that edgy Kid Iccarus bullshit a prank from AFD?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3