As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WiiWare] FF:CC My Life as a Darklord announced, Dungeon Keeper/Desktop Tower–ish?

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
OFFICIAL SITE!

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=61106
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord puts players in the highly fashionable shoes of the Darklord's daughter, a malevolent little Miss, charged with dispatching intruding do-gooders by strategically placing traps and monsters around the tower she calls home.

Players will need to get their hands on ever more diabolical traps and abominable monsters to stop those pesky adventurers from making it to the Dark Crystal at the top of the tower. Be warned, though – with heroes of all the races and job classes from the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series storming the Darklord’s lair in real time, traps and minions will count for nothing unless deployed like a true evil genius. Anything less and the Darklord’s beloved home will be reduced to rubble!

darklord01.jpg
darklord02.jpg
darklord04.jpg

My Life as a King was an awesome surprise for me, and I'm totally down for a sequel. This looks to change up gameplay a lot—loud echoes of Dungeon Keeper, which is never a bad thing.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This reminds me that I still haven't beaten My Life as a King. I even bought some of the DLC for that.

Peewi on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is a bazillion times more interesting to me then My Life as a King. Dungeon Keeper stylings in a Final Fantasy themed game available through WiiWare? Day one.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wait a minute, this is nothing like My life as a King! Dissapoinment! I loved that game to death seriously.

Yeah, I also bought some DLC:winky:

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Awesome news. Nintendo really brought it this keynote...seriously.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Grim SqueakerGrim Squeaker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I will be watching this with great interest

Grim Squeaker on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Good news everywhere I look!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The last thing I expected out of an Iwata keynote at GDC was a bevy of Final Fantasy–related goodies, but I'll take what I get! :) I updated the OP with the official site, but right now it's just a teaser with the text outlined above.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2009
    I love the writing on these kind of sites... It´s just so cute.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • xeviqxeviq Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    This reminds me that I still haven't beaten My Life as a King. I even bought some of the DLC for that.
    I'm with you there... and now with the storage update I'm going to redownload it and beat it!

xeviq on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Can't wait for this. I'm really happy about all the recent Squeenix Nintendo support announcements.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I love me some Dungeon Keeper. Add Final Fantasy...bought!

Neurotika on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ...this looks like a good reason for another sixty bucks worth of Wii Points. Good thing I bought the 2 GB memory card to hold all my stuff...

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So this new Wii update allows you to store and play games off an SD card?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Yes.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    But then when I run it the screen says I can't run stuff of an SD card. I'm confused.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited March 2009
    I just ran MLAAK from the SD card myself, no problems.

Did you update your Wii yet?
    Are you trying to run it from the SD card menu? (bottom left corner, next to the Wii button in the Wii main screen)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, after I run the update it says things won't run from it. Not that I tried. I just was confused.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Did you mis-read? It says save files won't run off the SD card.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This is the greatest news in the world. My Life as a King was simply amazing. This game doesn't look exactly the same but I'm sure I'm still going to love it.

AshtonDragon on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yea, the SD storage solution works much better than I would have thought. Just a few seconds to load, and BAM, I'm playing the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    This looks great, I love TD and Dugeon Keeper. It is even better with the Final Fantasy elements.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I have a Wii.
    And some leftover Wii points.
    I love Dungeon Keeper.

We'll see.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure how they would do it aside from using the names of your characters (maybe their levels / equipment too?), but if they can figure out a way to use your MLAAK save file for the attackers, I would love it.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dungeon Keeper is one of my favorite games of all time, but I abhor Tower Defense games. Which is this?

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Dungeon Keeper is one of my favorite games of all time, but I abhor Tower Defense games. Which is this?

Jury's still out, since it just got announced, but looking at the screens and generalizing from what My Life as a King happened to play like, I'm thinking it's a lot more like Dungeon Keeper. I only put the Tower Defense thing up there as another reference point, since I don't know much about the genre.

Lunker on
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hope to God it ain's tower defense...those games are boring. Though Square already has a Tower defense game for the Download services....

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Given they've got Crystal Defenders already out/on the way, it'd be downright *weird* for this to be a vanilla TD game. Might have some TD-esque elements, though.

Of course, in a purely literal sense, you *are* defending a tower!

Other musings and attempts to guess gameplay based on the screenshots (numbered based on the order they appear on the Worthplaying site):
    Looking at the fourth screenshot, it looks like the floors are not generic, and don't even necessarily match up in size terms. Is that a train going around the base of the bottommost floor?

Comparing the third screenshot with the second suggests that you keep building the tower higher and higher.

Are Tonberries traditionally stuffed toys (pic 3)? I've never looked at them all that closely. His comments also suggest a building mechanic.

Presumably enemies start at the bottom-right on the HUD, move to the left allowing you to get an early reading as to their abilities, enter the tower at the bottom-left of the screen (which presumably is where they enter the 'real' game world), then start climbing. There's only ladders on the left of each floor, but I'd guess the adventurers would have to clear each floor before continuing.

Pic 5 is a closer shot of the same sort of floor as the one I mentioned in the first comment. Looks like it is a train, and the interior is a merry-go-round with chocobo 'horses'. Pretty attractive. Also, Iwata dropped the Bomb.

Pic 6: Floor destroyed? Does that just mean that the adventurers can continue through? (That'd be most logical but having a popup message every time that happens would probably get annoying). Could instead mean that your tower would shrink?

mattclem on
  • Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I do think that this will have many Tower Defense elements because of this screen shot:
    darklord02.jpg

On the top left you have the number of attackers repelled, which tells you how much longer the "wave" will last.

The left side vertical column seems to be the up come in "waves." Some are even different color, indicating specials or bosses.

These are two core componets of TD games. Of course this is all based on one screen shot, so I could be completly wrong.

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The left column definitely represents your tower, not the waves; note that it's capped with the 'heart' roof that's visible in pic 1, and tailed with the tower entrance that's visible in a few screens; also see that the white number corresponds to a floor number and the part of the tower that's currently onscreen.

mattclem on
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I see the heart now, initially the top of the tower looked like enormous breasts with a crown on top.

I hope its a 2d tower defense. It sounds awesome.

Though I think I would prefer something more along the lines of the part in FF6 where you split your characters into 3 parties and stopped the soldiers from navigating up to the top. Every good Darklord needs a cadre of elite mid-bosses to command.

commathe on