As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Women and children first!

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    We're all going to die eventually anyway. I don't see how "giving up your chance to live so others can" isn't noble and therefore admirable.

Shhhh...get out, get out while you still can.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    different != inferior, IMO

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Shouldn't the most important person in one's life be his/her own self? Who's the single person that you have to deal with 100% of the time from birth till death? None other than yourself. When you go your story is over. Reality ends.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    But for something to be inferior it must also be different.

Bama on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    We're all going to die eventually anyway. I don't see how "giving up your chance to live so others can" isn't noble and therefore admirable.

'women and children first' is not the same as giving up your life for others

chivalry at this time was part of a much larger overarching patriotic society that treated women extremely poorly. I don't understand why putting women on a boat makes up for treating them as intellectual and physical inferiors.

i think it safe to say that the way women were treated in the early 20th century was objectively bad. to view this 'chivalry' as an isolated event in gender relations is incorrect, just as it's wrong to view the 50's as a simpler, better time.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    In a sinking ship/burning building/zombie apocalypse, everyone's a Republican apparently.
    It really brings out the best in us.

Duffel on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, to be fair, this is all pretty far removed from reality. I can't imagine being the person that says "sorry your daddy has to die kids, but I have a ton of shit on my TIVO and, frankly, that has to count for something too."

But sometimes it feels good to say "fuck societal convention" even if you could never bring yourself to do so.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Who's the single person that you have to deal with 100% of the time from birth till death?
    Right, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life with an infanticidal monster.

Bama on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Who's the single person that you have to deal with 100% of the time from birth till death?
    Right, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life as an infanticidal monster.

Also, does the "FUck the babies, I'm looking out for number 1!" mantra apply if you're 75? 90?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    'women and children first' is not the same as giving up your life for others

chivalry at this time was part of a much larger overarching patriotic society that treated women extremely poorly. I don't understand why putting women on a boat makes up for treating them as intellectual and physical inferiors.

I wasn't saying the way women were treated in western society 100 years ago was acceptable by modern standards.

Just that these people did have the choice to let others die in their places (as the geniuses who decided they couldn't wait for a smoke until after they were done hiding in other people's flammable clothing proved) and I think it's admirable for the people who did make that choice and gave up their chance to live so others could.

But I've been reading too much Victor Hugo lately and it's probably rubbing off on me

EDIT: Or, rather, self-sacrificial (and therefore, in my mind, admirable) results can still come out of a flawed system.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I also think part of the thinking was, "Women and Children are physically weaker, where as Men are hardy and have a better chance of surviving a sinking ship. Let's put the women and children in the boats to even the playing field a bit".

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Leitner wrote: »
    Is different code for inferior?
    Hello ethnocentrism!

Don't you think it's a bit foolish to expect people in a different society in the past to live the way we do in our society in the present?

Hello moral relativism.

Don't you think it’s a bit foolish to pretend that we can’t pass judgement on what people have done in the past? Especially given I was discussing the way we still apply these ideals to the way we see them and these situations now? And how that’s wrong.

Leitner on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Right, and I don't want to spend the rest of my life as an infanticidal monster.

Also, does the "FUck the babies, I'm looking out for number 1!" mantra apply if you're 75? 90?

Well, you see. I'm not condoning being self-centered in all aspects of life. And before making such a decision of course factors will come into play. If I were an 80 years old man, I probably would die for someone else, as I have already lived most of my expected lifespan anyways. But right now I'm 26 and in good health. I'm not even (potentially) halfway done. So yes, I would put my life before the life of ANY random person.

If close relatives enter the equation then of course this my also affect my perception.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    eh

I just feel like whenever people lament the death of chivalry they are actively ignoring that it came from a horrible social system

i mean yeah something good came of it but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the ocean of misery that mistreating women brought.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I would lay down my life for a few of the people in my family, but no one else. I would do whatever possible to save others up to the point of sacrificing my own life.

So would I save myself over another man's child? Yes. Because if I die, then not only am I, you know, DEAD, my family has just lost their primary pillar of support. Not gonna let that happen.

Were I an old man, then sure, I would give up my life for someone else who hasn't yet lived.

Chivalry is an outmoded ideal when applied along gender lines. Can't have that and equality at the same time.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So would I save myself over another man's child? Yes. Because if I die, then not only am I, you know, DEAD, my family has just lost their primary pillar of support. Not gonna let that happen.
    That's what life insurance is for.

Also, don't marry lazy people. :P

Bama on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    eh

I just feel like whenever people lament the death of chivalry they are actively ignoring that it came from a horrible social system

i mean yeah something good came of it but that's a drop in the bucket compared to the ocean of misery that mistreating women brought.

*sigh* Those were the good ol' days.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I don't think anybody was saying we should go back to the chivalric model - just that that ideal did exist, pervasively, at this particular point in the past. That's why these people behaved the way they did and that's why they were lauded for doing so at the time. Upholding societal ideals, especially being martyred for them, is a good way to get respect in any society.

Duffel on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    eh

Remember back when you could hit your woman?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That's what life insurance is for.

Also, don't marry lazy people. :P

I make about 3x as much as my fiance. And as the product of a broken single parent family, I would not inflict that on my children unless forced to do so.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    brandotheninjamasterbrandotheninjamaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Given the situation (my life in exchange for children) I would probably do the heroic thing and sacrifice myself.

brandotheninjamaster on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    eh

Remember back when Eddie Murphy was funny?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    eh

*sigh* Those were the good ol' days

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    eh

Obviously.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I love it when people take my obvious sarcasm seriously.
    Duffel wrote:
    I don't think anybody was saying we should go back to the chivalric model - just that that ideal did exist, pervasively, at this particular point in the past. That's why these people behaved the way they did and that's why they were lauded for doing so at the time. Upholding societal ideals, especially being martyred for them, is a good way to get respect in any society.

This.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I also think part of the thinking was, "Women and Children are physically weaker, where as Men are hardy and have a better chance of surviving a sinking ship. Let's put the women and children in the boats to even the playing field a bit".

Men also tend to be larger, so you can save fewer of them.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

True. Multiple children could occupy the space one full-grown man would normally occupy.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

True. Multiple children could occupy the space one full-grown man would normally occupy.

Better clear all the glasses and conch shells off the boat beforehand though.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Better clear all the glasses and conch shells off the boat beforehand though.
    Sucks to your ass-mar!

Duffel on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KevinNash wrote: »
    In a survival scenario the #1 rule is my life before the life of others. My life is not worth less than someone else's. I expect the same of others.

FF to 1:25 if you're impatient.

In fairness to George, that kid up at the front was like a monkey humping a football with that door. George knocked him out of the way, got the door open, and probably saved lives in the process.
    At least this is what he should tell himself.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Being slightly larger is unlikely to help you stay alive much longer in Arctic temperature waters.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Honestly speaking id find any way off i can, i dont value my life as less than a woman or a child. The only caveat to this is that i would give my seat up for me ma, dad or brothers, though that opens up a whole can of worms as there would be arguments etc, but the principle stands.

I understand that biologically people feel a propensity to protect "other" children, but i seem to lack that capacity, i would have no issue in taking a childs place on a boat, or anyone else' for that matter.

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Women and children first is most certainly not a product of the misognistic beliefs of the time, it is a remnant belief from all primitive tribes and hunter gatherers. In a crisis, decisions must be made quickly, and a communal understanding of who was most important was key. In a disaster in a primitive society you save people in this order.

Young women between 16 and 25
    Girls between 10 and 16
    Men/Boys between 10 and 18
    Older women
    Older men
    Young children between 0 and 10
    The elderly

Its quite simply based on utility and survival. Young women are the most useful, since they can breed a lot and gather food. Girls will soon be young women and so on.

Very young children are actually least important to save, since they don't do anything useful nor do they represent a significant loss of resources. The only reason its 'Women and Children' first is to make the most important people (young women) leave quickly with their children.

Nowadays the same expression would logically go "Educated and fertile married couples first!"

edit - I suppose they don't have to be married! Perhaps "Educated and fertile people who don't mind having sex with each other to produce children first!"

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I know I'd feel like a dick if I let a kid die in my place.

You wouldn't feel like a nice guy if you died in the child's place.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Women and children first is most certainly not a product of the misognistic beliefs of the time, it is a remnant belief from all primitive tribes and hunter gatherers. In a crisis, decisions must be made quickly, and a communal understanding of who was most important was key. In a disaster in a primitive society you save people in this order.

Girls between 10 and 16
    Older women
    Older men
    The elderly

Its quite simply based on utility and survival. Young women are the most useful, since they can breed a lot and gather food. Girls will soon be young women and so on.

Very young children are actually least important to save, since they don't do anything useful nor do they represent a significant loss of resources. The only reason its 'Women and Children' first is to make the most important people (young women) leave quickly with their children.

Nowadays the same expression would logically go "Educated and fertile married couples first!"

I can pass for an 18yrd old boy i think, perhaps even a 14 year old girl if im canny

But regardless our society is overpopulated, i may have a chance if they say "educated first" but regardless if theres a way off, including and not limited to "murdering" im taking it

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Girls between 10 and 16
    Older women
    Older men
    The elderly

edit - I suppose they don't have to be married! Perhaps "Educated and fertile people who don't mind having sex with each other to produce children first!"

Sweet I get to go first by your criteria!

Darkchampion3d on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Girls between 10 and 16
    Older women
    Older men
    The elderly

Societies which have to care about this don't have large ships, or anything similar. It's quite simply a issue which won't come up for them.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    In Religious Education class in school i was given a moral conundrum similar, pregnant woman, ill man, priest, little girl, baby boy, single mother with child at home and me on an island, helicopter comes, island tide is coming in too quick, only enough room to take 1, who goes. I know it sounds spurious but you could apply this to any scenario, house on fire, roof, only enough time to get one etc.

Anyway the answer is still me

Im not sure why anyone else would feel bad about preserving their own life, unless they believe they will be so euphoric for those brief seconds after you sacrifice yourself that it will justify it. Death is death....is death, theres no right thing theres death, and why would anyone want to die?

Zombie Monkey on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Single mother with child at home.

Yar on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kind of a weird paradox there. If you're the only one that's willing to sacrifice yourself to save someone else while the other people all try to save themselves, and you know nothing else about what kind of difference the other people will make in the world if they survive, aren't you therefore the most worthy person for yourself to save as far as you can tell?

jothki on