As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Tournament - UNC is victorious!

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Yeah that's a BS rule. In the NBA the rule is if you can't shoot the FT, the other team's coach gets to choose who shoots it. The college rule is ripe for abuse anytime a bad FT shooter gets fouled, he can just fake being hurt and the coach can sub in the team's best FT shooter.

You'll note they replaced him with a worse FT shooter. 68% to I think the injured guy's 74.

I thought the announcer said the opposite of that.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The guy who took the shots was definitely 68%.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah that's a BS rule. In the NBA the rule is if you can't shoot the FT, the other team's coach gets to choose who shoots it. The college rule is ripe for abuse anytime a bad FT shooter gets fouled, he can just fake being hurt and the coach can sub in the team's best FT shooter.

You'll note they replaced him with a worse FT shooter. 68% to I think the injured guy's 74.

The 68% guy (English) had a hot hand that game, though. He shot 6/11 and was hitting 3s. And English hadn't just absorbed a hard foul. Plus, there are much worse FT shooters on Missouri that the opposing coach would have selected to shoot the FTs, such as Keith Ramsey who shoots 37% from the FT line.

And the fact that Mizzou tried to re-insert the injured guy (Tiller) into the game following the FTs lends credence to the assertion that he wasn't that injured to begin with. With the NBA rule, if a player is too injured to shoot his FTs, then he cannot re-enter the game.

At any rate, none of this affects how abuseable the rule is. Nor were those FTs the reason Marquette lost the game - they still had a chance to tie or win when the guy stepped over the baseline.

BubbaT on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Well, I'm glad Marquette was able to keep it a good game even playing that atrociously. I haven't seen them turn the ball over that much or miss so many short shots. Great defense by Missouri.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Up to fifth myself. If Maryland had won instead of Memphis I would have had a great day.

Real bracket I did not make that pick so had a damn good day, only game I missed was Illinois over the Zags (stupid Hilltoppers).
    WKU went to the sweet sixteen last year, didn't they? It's not as though it was entirely unexpected.

WKU was probably the most popular upset pick, especially with Charlie Frazier not playing

his name is chester

DJ Eebs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Duffel wrote: »
    Up to fifth myself. If Maryland had won instead of Memphis I would have had a great day.

Real bracket I did not make that pick so had a damn good day, only game I missed was Illinois over the Zags (stupid Hilltoppers).
    WKU went to the sweet sixteen last year, didn't they? It's not as though it was entirely unexpected.

WKU was probably the most popular upset pick, especially with Charlie Frazier not playing

his name is chester

chestercheetah03.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Muahahaha, my West region is perfect so far. Missed 1 in the East, 2 in the South.

The only match-up for the Sweet 16 that I have wrong is Lousiville v 'Zona. I had Louisville v Wake. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited March 2009
    CONVENE THE COUNCIL!!

I'm doing not too bad in all my brackets.

CT's lookin' good, but I really want to see the Pitt game.

Malkor on
    edited March 2009
    My bracket's trashed. Not that I was expecting different, homeristically putting USC in the Final Four and all.

Anyways, go Zona and Syracuse.

BubbaT on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, I have Xavier beating Pitt, but I'm getting the UConn/Purdue game here.

Wish my computer could handle streaming the games.

Where is Purdue anyway? And Xavier?

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2009
    Could Purdue kindly make a shot?

Purdue is in West Lafayette, Indiana. Xavier is in Cincinatti.

enlightenedbum on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, technically, Purdue is a little wester than Xavier, which is why I'm getting that game instead of the Pitt game.

At least I get to watch Xavier/Pitt during halftime.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2009
    Man, the Pittsburgh coach is pissed.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2009
    Hell, I'm Pissed.

Malkor on
    edited March 2009
    This Pitt/Xavier game is fantastic.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2009
    daaaaamn Pitt just stole this game after blowing it multiple times.

Malkor on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

yeah but did you see that kid shoot!!

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
    edited March 2009
    Fuuuuuuck.

Stupid Xavier, losing an 8 point lead going into the half...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited March 2009
    musanman wrote: »

It was pretty sick. I had enough time to slowly go, 'what the hell are you doing' before he nailed it.

Malkor on
    edited March 2009
    I need the platypus holding his head emoticon.

Purdue. Man. What did I ever do to you guys? :cry:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    musanman wrote: »

It was pretty sick. I had enough time to slowly go, 'what the hell are you doing' before he nailed it.
    Yeah, I got a drawn out, "Oh no way" myself. Get in the backseat, that kid's nuts ride shotgun.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
    edited March 2009
    Jesus, Missouri is raping Memphis's mom.

In the ass.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    grrrrrr

that stupid pitt kid.. growl growl growl.

all in all, awesome damned shot.

That being said.

GO NOVA!

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    I'm kind of annoyed that Michigan played Connecticut better than Purdue did. And that was in Storrs.

Purdue, you're better than us!

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2009
    Memphis you are killing meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The Judge on
    edited March 2009
    Missouri: Unf unf unf

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    it's games like this Nova game, that remind me why I'm so loyal to my Philly based teams

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2009
    Memphis within 6. PLEASE SCORE MORE.

The Judge on
    edited March 2009
    Yessssss

Go Mizzourah! Go!

C'mong Wildcats!

I will SOOO Dance if Nova makes it all the way through.

SO DANCE!

lonelyahava on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    memphis and duke, most overrated teams in the tourny.

I said that shit at the start, they fucking suck. Duke particularly.

geckahn on
    edited March 2009
    Yes, but watching Duke go down... So delicious.....

So. Damned. Delicious.

I should so call my brother and laugh at him.

lonelyahava on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    geckahn wrote: »

Agreed, I was screaming at the TV for the last 10 minutes (or hour, considering all the fouls and TV timeouts) during the MU vs MU game. Why Mizzou kept playing that soft assed 2-3 matchup zone was beyond me.

If someone drives to the hoop on you 5 possession in a row and get their uncontested everytime, maybe it's time to switch defenses.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited March 2009

I think Wake Forest deserves some consideration in the "most overrated" talk. A team that reached #1 during the season being utterly demolished by Cleveland State? That seems a lot worse than losing to quality teams like Mizzou and Nova.

BubbaT on
    edited March 2009
    Aaaaaaaand, thats about it for me. With Memphis and Duke (what was I thinking?! duke?!) out, half of my Final Four is gone.

I'll be over in the corner drinking...

iTunesIsEvil on
  • lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

I think Wake Forest deserves some consideration in the "most overrated" talk. A team that reached #1 during the season being utterly demolished by Cleveland State? That seems a lot worse than losing to quality teams like Mizzou and Nova.

Yah, I'd have to agree. Duke kept the game fairly close during most if it, and lost to a 3 seed. They played good defense, and had plenty of well executed offensive chances. They just couldn't make the little orange ball go through the big orange hoop.

Wake played terrible defense against a 13 seed, were never really in the game, and had terrible looks on offense.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Not really NCAA news but it's not threadworthy on its own so...

Gillispie got canned today at UK. Word on the street says Billy Donovan's gonna fill up the spot.

Duffel on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That'd be a trade-up in recruits for Donovan. Kind of a Doherty/Williams deal except Donovan has already proven he can win the whole thing.

Unless Meeks and Patterson leave. But you don't go pro from an NIT team do you?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    That'd be a trade-up in recruits for Donovan. Kind of a Doherty/Williams deal except Donovan has already proven he can win the whole thing.

Unless Meeks and Patterson leave. But you don't go pro from an NIT team do you?
    Hard to say. I've heard that this isn't a great year for NBA draft picks (I don't really follow the NBA so I can't speak with much authority there) and that might encourage both of them to leave, since fewer good picks=better draft position for them. But, as you said, going from the NIT to the NBA (especially when you got beat in the NIT) would be pretty strange, but it's probably been done before.

However, I've heard that Gillispie was a big part of the problem as to what was going on at UK - as in him, both as a coach and as a human being - and that might affect whether or not they stay, as well. Apparently there's some crazyass rumors about Billy G flying around lexington right now, but who knows if they're true - nobody eats their own quite as well as UK basketball fans. Jodie Meeks' dad is on the record as saying Gillispie was the problem, for what that's worth. I'd say the next few days are going to be pretty interesting as far as the airing the dirty laundry. Might even get scandalous.

Oh yeah, to keep it on topic - WOOO for Duke losing. What an overrated program. I guess Coach K's smartass remarks about President Obama's bracket don't sound too smart now.

Duffel on
    edited March 2009
    Griffin should just start punching people. He'd get away with it.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2009
    Griffin should just start punching people. He'd get away with it.

I was fucking creeped the fuck out when the announcers started gushing about how big he was in person.

Malkor on