As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Myth Bustin'] April Fools 2009

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Didn't one of Blizzard's April Fool's joke accually became real?

I'm thinking it was one of the WC3 TH Goblin Merc heros they added after launch...

I know that someone actually made a playable Atari 2600 version of Molten Core, but that wasn't through Blizzard itself.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FuriousDudeFuriousDude Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The news of Mitch Hedberg's overdose death was announced on his website on April 1st, 2005. Unfortunate timing, especially for a stand-up comic. I was sure it was a joke....

FuriousDude on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Molten Core looked pretty intense.

Also, weren't Wisps announced as a new race?
    One of the racials was a kamikaze-explosion for shit damage that perma-killed you.
    The news of Mitch Hedberg's overdose death was announced on his website on April 1st, 2005. Unfortunate timing, especially for a stand-up comic. I was sure it was a joke....

He probably would have found that pretty funny.

Why does God take Hedberg and Carlin but not Dane Cook?

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Proof that there is no God.

FuriousDude on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Proof that there is no God.
    "See," said Lucifer, "God's an asshole."

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Heh. Hating Dane Cook is what the cool kids do nowadays.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

It's more about loving/missing Hedberg and Carlin.

But when did Dane Cook ever stop sucking?

FuriousDude on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It is, but goddamn he sucks. And this is coming from a guy who isn't sick of Jeff Dunham yet.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It's more about loving/missing Hedberg and Carlin.

But when did Dane Cook ever stop sucking?

I saw his old stand up on Comedy Central like 5 years ago (or something around then) and thought he was pretty funny. It came on again a while back so I picked up one of the first CDs and thought it was pretty funny as well.

But obviously telling people that is dangerous. Because I got my head bit off at a minimum of 20 times for even owning the CD. Obviously he doesn't suck at what he does because he's making a lot of money.

I guess I prefer an animated comedian over one who curses all the time. But then again I love Jeff Dunham, so maybe my point isn't valid. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    But then again I love Jeff Dunham

Jinx!

Ah well, just like good comedians can have off albums (I love Eddie Izzard, but his Circle routine just didn't work for me) sometimes bad comedians can have good albums.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I saw his old stand up on Comedy Central like 5 years ago (or something around then) and thought he was pretty funny. It came on again a while back so I picked up one of the first CDs and thought it was pretty funny as well.

But obviously telling people that is dangerous. Because I got my head bit off at a minimum of 20 times for even owning the CD. Obviously he doesn't suck at what he does because he's making a lot of money.

I guess I prefer an animated comedian over one who curses all the time. But then again I love Jeff Dunham, so maybe my point isn't valid. :P

I can't speak for those that bit your head off, but for me Dane Cook started sucking once he started catering to all his frat boy fans. His early stuff (before he did Vicious Circle) was pretty decent. But he started catering his brand to the standard fratboy morons and it just lost its ingenuity and immediately turned me off. And now he just reeks douchebag in everything he does.

I can't lie in say that his core fanbase doesn't contribute to my dislike of him. Much like tripe such as Boondock Saints, I can't enjoy Dane Cook based ont he fact that he's worshipped by legions of retards. Shallow? Maybe. But it's the truth.

FuriousDude on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    $10 Blizzard's April Fools joke is based on Starcraft's multiple act releases.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ah, yeah VC is one I stopped on. Never really picked anything else up after that.

You don't like Boondock Saints!? Oh man I love that movie. I'm not saying it's the best movie out there, but damn it if it isn't fun to watch.

So yeah, maybe my not-dislike of Dane Cook goes because I stopped listening/watching when he stopped being funny.

urahonky on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I'm thinking it was one of the WC3 TH Goblin Merc heros they added after launch...
    Panderan. Started as a joke, then they added it to WC3 as one of the "neutral" heroes.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Has anyone mentioned the Conficker botnet yet?
    It's supposed to 'activate' and do something nefarious on April fool's day this year.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    You don't like Boondock Saints!? Oh man I love that movie. I'm not saying it's the best movie out there, but damn it if it isn't fun to watch.

It's filled to the brim with tired cliches and horrible acting. Not even Willem Dafoe could save it. But I can be a bit of a film snob at times. The fact that it was embraced by the douches at my college only made me hate it more.

But those same cockbags also worshipped The Big Lebowski, but I refuse to let them ruin that for me. That movie is gold.

FuriousDude on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

It's filled to the brim with tired cliches and horrible acting. Not even Willem Dafoe could save it. But I can be a bit of a film snob at times. The fact that it was embraced by the douches at my college only made me hate it more.

But those same cockbags also worshipped The Big Lebowski, but I refuse to let them ruin that for me. That movie is gold.

I was going to lash out if you didn't put that last sentence. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I was going to lash out if you didn't put that last sentence. :P

8-)

The dude abides.

FuriousDude on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So... About this April Foolin'. You think someone's going to pee on your fuckin' rug?

urahonky on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think G&T is gonna pull an April Fools joke where it makes an April Fools thread and eventually stops being about G&T! <.<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, they're going to pee on your fuckin' rug.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also, weren't Wisps announced as a new race?
    One of the racials was a kamikaze-explosion for shit damage that perma-killed you?

Yeah, they were.

I consider it more something that people with good taste do, but admit that's based on limited exposure. A number of my WoW guild members were going on and on about how funny he was, so I looked up one of his routines on Youtube. An hour runtime, and I gave up after 20 minutes without a grin or a chuckle. I don't hate on people who find him funny, but his style of "humour" leaves much to be desired in my eyes.

Perhaps this "early stuff" would've gone over better on me, but I've currently got better things to do than watch more material of a comedian who's already failed to make me laugh.

The Boondock Saints, however, was and is glorious.

Also, April Fools stuff from Blizzard is awesome.

And Kari is totally smokin'.

Now I'm done stating the blindingly obvious.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, they're going to pee on your fuckin' rug.

The Chinaman is not the issue here, Dude. I'm talking about drawing a line in the sand.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I can't speak for those that bit your head off, but for me Dane Cook started sucking once he started catering to all his frat boy fans. His early stuff (before he did Vicious Circle) was pretty decent. But he started catering his brand to the standard fratboy morons and it just lost its ingenuity and immediately turned me off. And now he just reeks douchebag in everything he does.

I can't lie in say that his core fanbase doesn't contribute to my dislike of him. Much like tripe such as Boondock Saints, I can't enjoy Dane Cook based ont he fact that he's worshipped by legions of retards. Shallow? Maybe. But it's the truth.

I agree with your first paragraph for the most part. I still like his very first Comedy Central special. I don't know a lot of people who do like him though, so I can't say his "fan base" contributes to any dislike I may have because I haven't really seen it face to face. For me Dane Cook is like Family Guy. Both *can* be funny, but they've both gone into comedic territory that will appeal to an audience that I am just not a part of.

And I like Boondock Saints, but I'm like the anti-snob of action-y movies. There's this little switch in the back of my head that I throw into the off position and just start shoveling popcorn into my mouth. I enjoy movies that most other people find absolutely unbearable, but I don't exactly go out and buy those movies on DVD either.

Topical EDIT: So do we expect anything from youtube this year April Fool's wise? Any Fools from game developers besides Blizzard that you're looking forward to?

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Panderan. Started as a joke, then they added it to WC3 as one of the "neutral" heroes.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we see the tauren marine as a special unit in SC2's map editor or something. In fact I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we see the tauren marine as a special unit in SC2's map editor or something. In fact I'll be incredibly disappointed if we don't.

Same. I mean, we had a Hydralisk in WCIII hidden away during a campaign mission, and other units available in the map editor. I don't see why not.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The more I think about it, I thinked I'd be pretty surpised if they didn't have an April fools joke that didn't make fun of people who thinks Diablo 3 isn't dark enough...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I still want one of the fluffy clouds and unicorns Diablo III shirts from Blizzcon.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    With the "Cow Level" april fools joke (and then, actually showing up in the game), I honestly wouldn't at all be surprised if one of Blizzard's jokes involved the "bright and colourful" criticism in some way, and then came back with a nod, a reference or a full blown homage in the released version.

Whenever the hell that is.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zelda: Valley of the Deluge.

God damnit. :cry:

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Please, explain.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Elaro wrote: »

Please, explain.

Someone had a supposed interview with someone at Nintendo (can't remember who) about the next Zelda game.

In Short, it was going to be sequel to OoT and a prequel to the Wind Waker, ending with (in case you don't want to know, WW spoilers)
    the massive flood that made Hyrule the Great Sea)

It was suppose to be a steampuck setting (to show the passage of time from OoT), and the PC was suppose to be not Link, but some dude who belives himself/is belived to be the next Hero to defeat Ganon...

Don't know the link, but I'm sure someone will come up with it in a moment or two...

Personally, "Steampunk Zelda" is something I may be willing to sacrifice childeren for, so the fact that this was bogus was a real downer...

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Hey. The Cow Level was around way before the Panderan.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Oooooooh, that's where that steampunk business came from.

Personally the steampunk Metroid Prime 3 level tided me over on that front nicely, but that's just me.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Steampunk Zelda... bah. Why not just get Frank Miller to take over the writing of classic Nintendo series?

Henroid on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Hey. The Cow Level was around way before the Panderan.

The Goblin Hero is significant because it actually ended up being exactly like the joke description. Not just a nod, but exactly the same appearance and abilities.

jothki on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Steampunk Zelda... bah. Why not just get Frank Miller to take over the writing of classic Nintendo series?
    That phrase 'take over' indicates that Nintendo is currently employing a writer for their classic IPs. I'm sorry, but a monkey flinging his feces at the wall is not an employee. As a writer he's still preferable to whoever handles the Zelda storyline as he's demonstrated with his work on the Prime titles, but I doubt he's drawing a paycheck.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And so it begins.

Rock Band is getting three songs from SpongeBob Squarepants as DLC next week. Given the timing, I'd say it counts.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And so it begins.

Rock Band is getting three songs from SpongeBob Squarepants as DLC next week. Given the timing, I'd say it counts.

I would consider it a serious announcement if it was going to Guitar Hero as DLC.

Edit - I stereotype people terribly.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    And so it begins.

I would consider it a serious announcement if it was going to Guitar Hero as DLC.

Edit - I stereotype people terribly.

The thing with Rock Band is that I think the songs will actually be released. The prank isn't the announcement—it's the goofiness of actually releasing the songs. For reference, they released Still Alive on last year's April Fools Day.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)