As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Myth Bustin'] April Fools 2009

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I still say they need to release a wrongly-titled Never Gonna Give You Up, for free.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And so it begins.

Rock Band is getting three songs from SpongeBob Squarepants as DLC next week. Given the timing, I'd say it counts.

I would consider it a serious announcement if it was going to Guitar Hero as DLC.

Edit - I stereotype people terribly.

The thing with Rock Band is that I think the songs will actually be released. The prank isn't the announcement—it's the goofiness of actually releasing the songs. For reference, they released Still Alive on last year's April Fools Day.

Oh, of course! Nowadays April Fools isn't just about pranking with fake stuff, it's also about being goofy with real stuff.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    I still say they need to release a wrongly-titled Never Gonna Give You Up, for free.

That would be amazing.

Zerokku on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    And so it begins.

Rock Band is getting three songs from SpongeBob Squarepants as DLC next week. Given the timing, I'd say it counts.

I would consider it a serious announcement if it was going to Guitar Hero as DLC.

Edit - I stereotype people terribly.

The thing with Rock Band is that I think the songs will actually be released. The prank isn't the announcement—it's the goofiness of actually releasing the songs. For reference, they released Still Alive on last year's April Fools Day.

Oh, of course! Nowadays April Fools isn't just about pranking with fake stuff, it's also about being goofy with real stuff.

Which is a better strategy. It's boring as hell for me just reading a bunch of "Half-Life 3 will be out in June featuring an entirely new protagonist and a wise-cracking pie for a sidekick!".

Oh my, how absurd.

Rock Band being announced on April 1st was brilliant.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, crap like "you can unlock Sonic the Hedgehog in Mario Galaxy lolz" doesn't really do it for me. Use some creativity, dammit!

cloudeagle on
    edited March 2009
    I remember last year blizzard used a script for their wow forums where random words were replaced with shorthand/netspeak, so this would turn into dis, and punctuation would always turn into lolz.

Didn't seem to much different then normal tbh :P

Zerokku on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Steampunk Zelda... bah. Why not just get Frank Miller to take over the writing of classic Nintendo series?
    That phrase 'take over' indicates that Nintendo is currently employing a writer for their classic IPs. I'm sorry, but a monkey flinging his feces at the wall is not an employee. As a writer he's still preferable to whoever handles the Zelda storyline as he's demonstrated with his work on the Prime titles, but I doubt he's drawing a paycheck.
    This standpoint implies you have never played a Mario RPG.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited March 2009
    Actually, that would be hilarious for RP servers.

"Verily, we must rid the earth of these accursed Horde lolz
    ....dammit!"

cloudeagle on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The two I fell the hardest for when I was a dumb kid:

1) Mew being under the truck in pokemon red/blue
    2) How to unlock Luigi in Mario 64.

Oh god I tried so many times to get those :(

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

"Verily lolz we must rid the earth of these accursed Horde lolz
    ....dammit!"

commas count, too, you know

MrDelish on
    edited March 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

"Verily lolz we must rid the earth of these accursed Horde lolz
    ....dammit!"

commas count, too, you know

Would probably take a fair bit more work to get that kind of script running ingame. Then again they have scripts to slur what youve typed when your character is drunk so I guess it could be possible.

Zerokku on
    edited March 2009
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    1) Mew being under the tuck in pokemon red/blue
    You mean truck, but yes, I remember that. I was always skeptical, plus if I remember right I figured out that the common set of instructions made it impossible; you needed to have cut before you were able to get it, or something.

However there really is a way to get Mew in original R/B without hacking. It has something to do with letting a trainer see you and pausing/flying away before he can walk over to you. The game draws encounter data from the wrong place and you can meet and capture Mew. This method never became really prevalent though because it was discovered years later.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You mean truck, but yes, I remember that. I was always skeptical, plus if I remember right I figured out that the common set of instructions made it impossible; you needed to have cut before you were able to get it, or something.

Yeah but you could just trade for a pokemon that had Cut.

This rumor fooled a lot of people.

AshtonDragon on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

The Mew trick is cool.

The Celebii Egg trick in GSC is CRAZY, involving 2 Sneasels, five sacrifical pokemon, and a malformed clone. It's like an obscure Yu-Gi-Oh card!

Based on the same ideas though, tricking the game into putting the pokemons reference number in a place that it doesn't belong.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited March 2009

However there really is a way to get Mew in original R/B without hacking. It has something to do with letting a trainer see you and pausing/flying away before he can walk over to you. The game draws encounter data from the wrong place and you can meet and capture Mew. This method never became really prevalent though because it was discovered years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkF7Xjxn9jc

Zerokku on
    edited March 2009

Actually I think it was before you could use cut, before you had the badge that enabled it. They were very specific about that.

UncleSporky on
    edited March 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

*insane youtube vid*

I want to know how someone figures this kind of shit out on their own

Tasteticle on

edited March 2009

Actually I think it was before you could use cut, before you had the badge that enabled it. They were very specific about that.

Nope, you could use cut. I remember following it to the T and being disappointed many times.

Tasteticle on

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man, I haven't played Pokémon in so long. I looked at the preview for that video and was like "Hah! Wigglytuff? They're not even trying to make these jokes believable any more!"

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited March 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Man, I haven't played Pokémon in so long. I looked at the preview for that video and was like "Hah! Wigglytuff? They're not even trying to make these jokes believable any more!"

That's a completely legit way to get mew in r/b...

Edit: The reason it shows a wigglytuff is because this is an example of how to do it before you ever even leave cerulean city. Since mew has such a low capture rate, a wigglytuff with sing would help exponentially.

Zerokku on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

*insane youtube vid*

I want to know how someone figures this kind of shit out on their own

Well if I recall this method was not discovered until 2003, so it took 7 years.

Also, probably examined the source code/how the game is put together/how pkmn data is stored, etc.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Basically they discovered a buffer overrun bug. Then they had to figure out how to get that buffer overrun to put the right number for Mew in the right place. Then they had to figure out where in the game they could get that to happen legitimately. I can only imagine the explosive nerdgasm the guy who discovered it had when his plan ended up working.

Opty on
    edited March 2009
    No, I understand. Just, for a minute or two I forgot that Wigglytuff was a legitimate Pokémon.

Willeth on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I remember last year blizzard used a script for their wow forums where random words were replaced with shorthand/netspeak, so this would turn into dis, and punctuation would always turn into lolz.

Didn't seem to much different then normal tbh :P

That was one of the best things ever. Way better than their other pranks.

Henroid on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How did the missingno glitch work, exactly

Rent on
    edited March 2009
    Rent wrote: »

According to bulbapedia -

Missingno. appears due to an oversight in the programming of the Old Man's tutorial in Viridian City on how to catch Pokémon. When the game sets up the battle between the Old Man and a wild Weedle, it needs to change the player's name (temporarily) to "OLD MAN" so that it will display that name, rather than the player's entered name, during the battle.

Due to the limited space on a Game Boy cartridge, the programmers decided to use the space where data for wild Pokémon found in the grass is stored (which is completely blank in Viridian City; only Surfing and Fishing data is used) to save the player's name temporarily. Normally, this would cause no abnormal activity, as this data is overwritten when the player moves to a different area.

In all cities, however, this data remains blank, and so the data is never overwritten (as there is nothing new to overwrite it with), and thus, the data that was last entered (be it the player's name or the wild Pokémon data from another area) remains in place. This itself still causes no harm, however, an oversight in the programming of the tiles used to denote the shore of an island marks them as equivalent to grass. As all water routes have no real grass on them, likewise, the data is not overwritten, and so whatever data is in the slots for wild Pokémon found in the grass is used, be it the player's name or wild Pokémon found elsewhere, such as the Safari Zone.

The name of the player has six hexadecimal values in it. The game needs only three "slots" of wild Pokémon data to store this.

The species of wild Pokémon the player encounters along the coast are determined by the third, fifth, and seventh characters of the player's name, while their levels are determined by the second, fourth, and sixth characters, respectively. By knowing which letters and symbols correspond to which species and levels, through the use of certain calculators and charts (such as [1]), it is possible to set the name of the player at the start of the game to find specific Pokémon at specific levels.

Zerokku on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rent wrote: »

According to bulbapedia -

Missingno. appears due to an oversight in the programming of the Old Man's tutorial in Viridian City on how to catch Pokémon. When the game sets up the battle between the Old Man and a wild Weedle, it needs to change the player's name (temporarily) to "OLD MAN" so that it will display that name, rather than the player's entered name, during the battle.

Due to the limited space on a Game Boy cartridge, the programmers decided to use the space where data for wild Pokémon found in the grass is stored (which is completely blank in Viridian City; only Surfing and Fishing data is used) to save the player's name temporarily. Normally, this would cause no abnormal activity, as this data is overwritten when the player moves to a different area.

In all cities, however, this data remains blank, and so the data is never overwritten (as there is nothing new to overwrite it with), and thus, the data that was last entered (be it the player's name or the wild Pokémon data from another area) remains in place. This itself still causes no harm, however, an oversight in the programming of the tiles used to denote the shore of an island marks them as equivalent to grass. As all water routes have no real grass on them, likewise, the data is not overwritten, and so whatever data is in the slots for wild Pokémon found in the grass is used, be it the player's name or wild Pokémon found elsewhere, such as the Safari Zone.

The name of the player has six hexadecimal values in it. The game needs only three "slots" of wild Pokémon data to store this.

The species of wild Pokémon the player encounters along the coast are determined by the third, fifth, and seventh characters of the player's name, while their levels are determined by the second, fourth, and sixth characters, respectively. By knowing which letters and symbols correspond to which species and levels, through the use of certain calculators and charts (such as [1]), it is possible to set the name of the player at the start of the game to find specific Pokémon at specific levels.

People took the time to find this out.

Henroid on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It was very easy to figure out actually.

The glitch was first used to get Safari Zone pokemon not in the safari zone. Go into the safari zone, fly to cinnabar/swim to seafoam islands, surf a coast and blammo. Safari Zone pokemon.

Then people figured out the missigno glitch with the old man. Then people figured out that the random above level 100 pokemon people were getting were different depending on what name you had.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • NimoyNimoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I did the Missingno glitch back in middle school and after a few days of the game being buggy it just erased my saved game data. It made me sad and I never messed with it again. I did have a gameshark though, and when yellow came out I used it to teach my Pikachu surf and played the surfing mini game. Good times.

Nimoy on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If they put I'm a Goofy Goober in as Rock Band DLC, I will go out and buy Rock Band right now.

Ganluan on
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Nimoy wrote: »
    I did the Missingno glitch back in middle school and after a few days of the game being buggy it just erased my saved game data. It made me sad and I never messed with it again. I did have a gameshark though, and when yellow came out I used it to teach my Pikachu surf and played the surfing mini game. Good times.

I'm still pissed that I was never able to play that game because I couldn't get a Surfing Pikachu. Yeah, I know you can get one from Pokemon Stadium, but I could never beat the damn trainers past a certain level to get it.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    MissingNo evolved into Kangaskhan... making it possible to have a surfing and flying Kangaskhan if you taught those to MissingNo first. It was fun to use in fights with friends, watching Kanga fly in the air...

Also, ThinkGeek always has great April Fools. They caught me on a lot of them... like a "Grow your own 1-UP Mushroom"... which became SO popular, they actually manufactured it. I bought one :)

The Wireless extension cords though, made me think...

GPIA7R on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Part of the reason I love Blizzard's April Fool's so much is 'cause it's pretty likely by this point that one of each year's jokes winds up being real at some point.

Taximes on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Still Alive was an April 1 Free Song. We could have an unannounced gag again.

Or Spongebob, either way, sufficiently wacky.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

If you get traded a Cut-using Pokemon you're fine *Misty gives you the Cut ability outside of battles, the HM is just in Vermilion).

Also, if you faint to a trainer after visiting the captain, you'll appear outside the boat and it won't have left.

The Muffin Man on
    edited March 2009
    EvilBadman wrote: »

I am positive it'll be Astley, you know.

Willeth on
  • CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I always wanted them to announce they gotten the rights to use a Led Zeppelin and give out a free single song in celebration of the moment. When the player downloads it and tries to play the song it will have all the right names and so on but when the game started it played Astley's song instead.

Camui on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The news of Mitch Hedberg's overdose death was announced on his website on April 1st, 2005. Unfortunate timing, especially for a stand-up comic. I was sure it was a joke....

Yeah, I had a real hard time believing that too. The even stranger thing was that I only went there because I was curious what he was up to, and just ended up being depressed instead. :(

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
    edited March 2009

Buh? What's this Astley thingy?

cloudeagle on
  • h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    irn wrote: »
    I can't remember where I heard this AFJ but it was something along the lines of playing as Mortal Kombat characters on NBA Jam... I think I wasted $10 worth of quarters at a local Putt Putt before I finally gave up... April Fools is a racketeering business more than it is a joke...

Save your money back up and get the Saturn version. There you can unlock MK Raiden ...

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.