As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New forum: Graphic Violence

bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
If you have an interest in comics or toy based there-on, please check out our brand new shiny-ass forum.

Rogue helicopter?
Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
bone daddy on

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2005
    IT'S AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE

Whippy on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Just an idea, and perhaps a silly one, but should anime discussion be moved there as well? Or do the mods not want to deal with the inevitable problems that creates?

deadonthestreet on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited May 2005
    Just an idea, and perhaps a silly one, but should anime discussion be moved there as well? Or do the mods not want to deal with the inevitable problems that creates?

absolutely, 100%, nononononononononononononononono

Whippy on
    edited May 2005
    Alright.

deadonthestreet on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I think this forum would be way more useful if its intended discussion was expanded to include all forms of entertainment media--not only comic books, but also movies, television, books, anime and everything else. This possibility just occurred to me in the G&T chat thread, thought I'd share it here.

Captain K on
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    That sounds less like "more useful" and more like "total clusterfuck," K.

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
    Ecoterrorism is actually the single largest terrorist threat at the moment. They don't usually kill people, but they blow up or set on fire very expensive things.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Captain K wrote:
    I think this forum would be way more useful if its intended discussion was expanded to include all forms of entertainment media--not only comic books, but also movies, television, books, anime and everything else. This possibility just occurred to me in the G&T chat thread, thought I'd share it here.

Then D&D would have nothing left but religion and politics to discuss! *shudder*

Janson on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    bone daddy wrote:
    I actually think it is a good idea. I'm not seeing the usefulness of an entire forum dedicated to comics only. How would it be a clusterfuck? It would have threads dedicated to various topics in entertainment media. Sounds exactly like the way G&T works.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited May 2005
    bone daddy wrote:
    Well, it wouldn't be in one thread only... I'm not sure why it would be a total clusterfuck.

Actually, I'm having a really hard time understanding why you'd think that. Should I explain the concept I have in my head more fully?

Captain K on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Janson wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

Then D&D would have nothing left but religion and politics to discuss! *shudder*
    That would suck :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2005
    So a forum for comic books is created.

Meanwhile, three pages of pleading for a Guild Wars forum goes unnoticed.

Schweet.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2005
    syndalis wrote:

Schweet.

Yeah, I've noticed no mod posts in the Guild Wars thread.

No discussion at all.

DJ Eebs on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    How are comics not Artist Corner material?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2005
    Janson wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

It sucks trying to siscuss movies or musc in D&D because of the megathreads. I can't go in there to make a thread about a great CD I just purchased, or to discuss a specific movie. It has to be buried 45 pages deep in a thread. It sucks for casual conversation.

deadonthestreet on
  • bone daddybone daddy Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    syndalis wrote:

Schweet.

I don't suppose it ever occured to you that the comics forum has been in the works for almost a month?

bone daddy on
    Rogue helicopter?
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited May 2005
    Geebs wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Schweet.

Yeah, I've noticed no mod posts in the Guild Wars thread.

No discussion at all.

Unnoticed is the wrong word.

No action... yeah.

I know Whippy has wanted a comic book forum for a while, and he is a mod, but there is a vibrant community far more involved than CoH wanting some semblance of logic in posting, and this would provide it nicely.

I'll stop posting this here though, because I realize my views would be better served on the GW thread...

just had to rant a bit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited May 2005
    bone daddy wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

Schweet.

I don't suppose it ever occured to you that the comics forum has been in the works for almost a month?

Actually, I missed that. And i wasn't trying to claim that this was a spur of the moment decision or anything... I guess I just want Democracy here on my favorite online dictatorship ;)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Janson wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

It sucks trying to siscuss movies or musc in D&D because of the megathreads. I can't go in there to make a thread about a great CD I just purchased, or to discuss a specific movie. It has to be buried 45 pages deep in a thread. It sucks for casual conversation.

Yes, it's not ideal, but you have to draw the line somewhere - we couldn't have a forum for movies, a forum for anime etc.

If a film is big enough a whole thread is dedicated to it - like Serenity, Episode 3, Hitchhiker's etc. Music has several categoric threads - i.e. the metal thread, etc.

Sometimes I too find that my posts get lost or ignored, but at the same time if we allowed a new thread for each different music album/film we'd end up with a lot of small threads that died fairly quickly.

Janson on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2005
    Janson wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

Yes, it's not ideal, but you have to draw the line somewhere - we couldn't have a forum for movies, a forum for anime etc.

If a film is big enough a whole thread is dedicated to it - like Serenity, Episode 3, Hitchhiker's etc. Music has several categoric threads - i.e. the metal thread, etc.

Sometimes I too find that my posts get lost or ignored, but at the same time if we allowed a new thread for each different music album/film we'd end up with a lot of small threads that died fairly quickly.

Movies and anime seem to have just as much interest if not more, then comic books. That is why the combined forum is such a good idea.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited May 2005
    Janson wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Captain K wrote:

Movies and anime seem to have just as much interest if not more, then comic books. That is why the combined forum is such a good idea.
    Coincidental case in point--the current anime discussion in the G&T chat thread is pissing off everyone who doesn't want to talk about anime. (This happens on a daily basis at least)

Captain K on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2005
    Actually, a forum dedicated to cartoons, anime, and all that other crap makes good sense.

I cast my vote in favor of it.

Jasconius on
    edited May 2005
    I'm not fighting for an anime only forum. I just think it would do well to combine a few of the topics that have forum interest, and are related, and mix them into one forum instead of having a comic book forum, then if interest grows, we'll add a movie forum, then an anime forum...they could all be combined into one good forum I feel.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2005
    Why don't we see how this works before saying how useless it is.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2005
    I'm not fighting for an anime only forum. I just think it would do well to combine a few of the topics that have forum interest, and are related, and mix them into one forum instead of having a comic book forum, then if interest grows, we'll add a movie forum, then an anime forum...they could all be combined into one good forum I feel.

I rally behind Raijin in favor of the Non-Interactive Media Forum!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited May 2005
    syndalis wrote:

I thought I suggested it first, but hey, I'll get behind Raijin too :P

Captain K on
    edited May 2005
    Captain K wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This was K's original idea not mine. Perhaps after Alpha finishes all of the upgrades, we will have a simple answer to this.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited May 2005
    That is what EE used to be, kind of. Since the name change it seems like any thread that won't generate 10 pages is dismissed as "not worthy of discussion" and locked.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2005
    Captain K wrote:
    syndalis wrote:

This was K's original idea not mine. Perhaps after Alpha finishes all of the upgrades, we will have a simple answer to this.

d'oh. I should look at the names more often to the side of the message. I shall maintain my position behind Raijin :winky: ...

Raijin, get Behind K :winky: ...

Lets make thie interesting

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    "Games and technology, all in one forum? It'll never work!"

Toast on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I've always wanted a "general media forum". Oh man. Make D&D even more esoteric and ... bombastic.

But really. I don't know why anime cannot go into the new forum, besides Whippy's dislike of it (??). It does fit into the general category, only it's japanese instead of american. Yes, that's the only difference. shush.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2005
    As big of an anime following as there is on these boards, it does deserve its own forum, rather than be mixed in with another media type. Not only that, anime fans are "their own animal" and have a different way of going about things. Combining comic books with anime would be like combining G&T with SE.

However, if we're going to have a comic book forum, I'd like to see one for movies as well, although I think the two could fit together reasonably well.

Metalbourne on
  • XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I pity the mods that would try and keep an anime forum in check.

Xieflow on
  • ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    I nominate mcc. Then he could stop posting those fucking 640*480 images in every other thread he posts in.

Toast on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2005
    It sucks for casual conversation.

that's because SE is for casual conversation.

denihilist on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2005
    That is what EE used to be, kind of. Since the name change it seems like any thread that won't generate 10 pages is dismissed as "not worthy of discussion" and locked.
    Blame Cat.

For what it's worth, they're talking about easing up on that. It grew out of the election madness and just never really let up.

Salvation122 on
    edited May 2005
    denihilist wrote:

But no one wants to go to SE++. The mods make up rules on the spot, and SE++ has got a very non-new person friendly attitude.

Xieflow on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2005
    Xieflow wrote:
    denihilist wrote:

But no one wants to go to SE++. The mods make up rules on the spot, and SE++ has got a very non-new person friendly attitude.

The mods don't make up the rules on the spot. If they do, they are joking around with someone that they know can take it.

The non-new person thing isn't as bad as you think. It's a stereotype like G&T people being uber-dorks. Believing in the stereotype perpetuates it. It also allows you to have a comfortable experience rather than a challenging one. What I mean is, say you create a thread in SE and someone flames you. You take that as proof of your idea when actually they were just joking with you and greeting you in that special SE way.

SE is a matter of perception.

denihilist on
    edited May 2005
    denihilist wrote:
    Xieflow wrote:
    denihilist wrote:

The mods don't make up the rules on the spot. If they do, they are joking around with someone that they know can take it.

The non-new person thing isn't as bad as you think. It's a stereotype like G&T people being uber-dorks. Believing in the stereotype perpetuates it. It also allows you to have a comfortable experience rather than a challenging one. What I mean is, say you create a thread in SE and someone flames you. You take that as proof of your idea when actually they were just joking with you and greeting you in that special SE way.

SE is a matter of perception.

Some of us would prefer to actually be able to discuss this stuff without digging through all that BS, though.

Xieflow on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2005
    Some of us would prefer that you shut your faggot face but it doesn't look like anyone is getting what they want today.

Tube on
    edited May 2005
    and CT proves exactly what I'm talking about.

Xieflow on