As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon: You'd think the third game would have been Crystal (Platinum is out)

• AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Don't worry too much about it, Chrono. Some of us have our Diamond/Pearl carts, and have been breeding for a while, so it would be tough to get some Pokemon that some of us don't have!

Garchomp was moved to Ubers after general consensus (not just here but on many other Pokemon battling sites) that it was just too overpowered for use in normal Pokemon play. Both Wynaut and Wobbuffet got moved to the 'Uber' tier for the same reason, so its not the first time a non-Legendary gained Uber status. Still no way to stop Cynthia from throwing one at you though.

Aggril on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I don't remember how I got past Cynthia. I think my Floatzel got a crit Ice Fang or something.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I enjoy fine cheese, which is why I used destiny bond + revives to take out all her pokes that were 10 levels higher than mine. Also in anticpation of platinum arriving i'm going to watch the first 10 pokemon movies over the week.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I could breed a Trapinch with a guaranteed Adamant (or Jolly!) nature, with Earthquake and some other goodies on it, actually. Flygon is the -shit-. So cute, too.

I'm a biologist! I know about bioluminescence and luciferin - in fact, the first time I caught a Chinchou (the base form for Lanturn) I named it 'Abyssal'. I'm pretty sure I found it when I was diving below the sea on the back of a Pokémon, too.

Wireless trading is pretty simple - you need a WEP encrypted Wireless router, or a DS Wifi dongle attached to your PC, which acts as a wireless router etc. etc. Once you've logged on for the first time, you'll get your Friend Code (mine, for Diamond, is in my signature), which you can then give to people, and get theirs in return to put in your Pal Pad. Then, if you're both online at the same time, you'll see each other!
    Arikado wrote: »
    Yeah I don't remember how I got past Cynthia. I think my Floatzel got a crit Ice Fang or something.

My Floatzel can sponge an Earthquake from her Garchomp, and one-shot it in return. But it would also go first, too. Floatzel is probably my favorite water type out there.

Kay2 on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    is the best thing for those of us wanting to mooch pokes off of people that have a lot of them to trade still scales or whatever? Is there any other thing like that desirable that I can start working on collecting?

troublebrewing on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    is the best thing for those of us wanting to mooch pokes off of people that have a lot of them to trade still scales or whatever? Is there any other thing like that desirable that I can start working on collecting?

shards, heart scales...pokes with TM moves (dark pulse, nasty plot Houndour for example)

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    I could breed a Trapinch with a guaranteed Adamant (or Jolly!) nature, with Earthquake and some other goodies on it, actually. Flygon is the -shit-. So cute, too.

I'm a biologist! I know about bioluminescence and luciferin - in fact, the first time I caught a Chinchou (the base form for Lanturn) I named it 'Abyssal'. I'm pretty sure I found it when I was diving below the sea on the back of a Pokémon, too.

Wireless trading is pretty simple - you need a WEP encrypted Wireless router, or a DS Wifi dongle attached to your PC, which acts as a wireless router etc. etc. Once you've logged on for the first time, you'll get your Friend Code (mine, for Diamond, is in my signature), which you can then give to people, and get theirs in return to put in your Pal Pad. Then, if you're both online at the same time, you'll see each other!

Ok, I'll see if I can test this out some evening this week, but it probably I won't be able to make it till the weekend. Are you guys on regularly at any particular time? I might have to look into this DS WiFi dongle thingy. It'd certainly be easier than going to starbucks every time I want to trade.

Yeah, I really just like the Flygon for a) I'm a sucker for dragons and b) I do like the look (the middle evolution looks really cool too). I think I'm going to start trying to find/collect all the dragon types first (especially since there aren't many of them that aren't legendary) then move on to another type. I really don't know about the nature's or about these EVs you guys keep talking about. I'm gonna save those things until I finish the single player game (unless there's something I can do now that will save me a lot of time later).

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • CoolTrainerCoolTrainer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Would anyone be willing to help me trade over the team I put together in pearl to platinum? I dont have access to two DS systems, so I need someone to let me trade them my team and then have them trade it back to me on Platinum.

Also, this is my first post, but I look forward to playingwith you guys!

CoolTrainer on
    League of Legends ID: Cloogr

3DS / Pokemon XY: 0774-5590-9276
    edited March 2009
    Ok, I'll see if I can test this out some evening this week, but it probably I won't be able to make it till the weekend. Are you guys on regularly at any particular time? I might have to look into this DS WiFi dongle thingy. It'd certainly be easier than going to starbucks every time I want to trade.

Yeah, I really just like the Flygon for a) I'm a sucker for dragons and b) I do like the look (the middle evolution looks really cool too). I think I'm going to start trying to find/collect all the dragon types first (especially since there aren't many of them that aren't legendary) then move on to another type. I really don't know about the nature's or about these EVs you guys keep talking about. I'm gonna save those things until I finish the single player game (unless there's something I can do now that will save me a lot of time later).

I use a router with WEP encryption (I think? That's the right one, yeah?) and it's great. It's one of the Nintendo Approved ones, so I have little difficulty. I'm trying to remember who used the dongle, and the only person I recall was Dingus, and he bought a wireless router instead after a while.

The dongle works, kinda. For some people, it's awesome. For others, it's a nightmare. I've not heard of anyone that's 'yeah, it's kinda okay,' it's either really good, or really bad, usually.

Flygon's awesome, and Vibrava is one of the Pokémanz I'm using on my Platinum NFE Team playthrough. Quilava, Totodile, Vibrava, Stunky (I love Stunky, don't know why), Riolu (who kicks so much ass it's unreal), Grovyle... uh. I know I have some others in there too.
    Would anyone be willing to help me trade over the team I put together in pearl to platinum? I dont have access to two DS systems, so I need someone to let me trade them my team and then have them trade it back to me on Platinum.

Make sure you have six trash Pokémon (bidoofs with names in foreign swear words are good) on Platinum before you do this, or we'll be holding onto your Diamond team for a while!

I'm sure someone'd be up for helping you when you're ready.

Kay2 on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there any anyone willing to trade a Trapinch (might as well start from the ground up) for something?

Is the pun intended? :D
    Well yeah, of course they have. But that's like comparing the most recent Madden game to the very first one.
    I see this as very offensive. The changes made in every generation are HUGE. GSC introduced items and split Special, as well as two types and several weird type combinations. RSE introduced natures and abilities, changing the game almost in its entirety, as well as introducing a limit to to the effort points gained. Finally, DP introduced a physical and special split of moves, as well as several moves and items that balanced the game a lot.

RockinX on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I can help.

troublebrewing on
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How easy it must be to throw in a handful of new pokemon per game, come up with a title having to do with a color, and crapping it out onto the market.

Those games are pretty damn fun. Hell, I have guys in my computer class right now playing poke'mon, but really..there's no effort required. Their biggest worry is running out of names. Making the games themselves is cake.

Well I would argue that the games have evolved quite a bit from the R/B/Y days, which is the last time I played one....
    The battle mechanics change quite a bit, but the singleplayer hardly changes at all, whether it's the basic structure of the quest or just little details. Collect 8 badges, beat Team X, become the champion, catch them all. The HM system is as stupid as it's always been, there are still tons of caves filled with nothing but Geodudes and Zubats, you still obtain a bike from the bike shop in some manner without actually buying it, there's still that one store in that one city that has multiple floors with a similar layout, etc.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't remember being able to get Rotom after the second gym. That's awesome.
    Goodbye, Misdrevious. Your moveset kind of sucks. :(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok, what is the point of moves like Foresight that "identify" your opponent? I don't get it.

Beat the trainers in the 4th gym at lunch. Will tackle the gym leader tonight.

WiFi question, perhaps out of the scope of this thread: I have an Apple Airport basestation (one of the older ones, g only, not n) that I use at home with my computer and Wii using WPA encryption. Meaning every time I want to get the DS online, I have to mess with the router settings, which is a PITA.

I'm not all that familiar with routers...is it possible to get another router and set it up AT THE SAME TIME as my Airport? It would basically be used only for the DS. Or could I accomplish this with the Nintendo Dongle? (bear in mind I already connect the laptop that the dongle would be attached to Wirelessly...)

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok, what is the point of moves like Foresight that "identify" your opponent? I don't get it.
    I just looked this up myself less than an hour ago. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Foresight is where I looked, but I'm getting error messages at Bulbapedia right now. :S

Anyway, it said that it lets Normal-type attacks hit Ghost-type Pokemon, and also makes attacks more accurate in general ... or it lowered the opponent's evasiveness. I know that the net function is that you miss less, but I'm not 100% sure how it actually does it. I'm sure someone in the thread knows better than me, I just found it amusing I had to look this up myself so recently. :P

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I believe it reduces your opponents evasion, it might also allow normal type moves to hit ghosts and vice versa.

The Attackdex is a good resource, but the bulbapedia articles give more indepth information.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is there anyone playing through the game that would like to fight my Championship winning team?
    Just a regular in game team, nothing to special.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    Want me to use my Diamond team?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    Is it EV trained? Also, do you object to me recording the match and posting it?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    It' not EV trained. Eh, their moves suck anyway, so you might as well record it.

First let me see if I can find them, then I'll tell you to get online.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    I can't find my Staraptor. Can I use a Probopass with egg moves but no EV training at all and members of my in game team in Emerald?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    You can use whatever. I'll head online.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    WiFi question, perhaps out of the scope of this thread: I have an Apple Airport basestation (one of the older ones, g only, not n) that I use at home with my computer and Wii using WPA encryption. Meaning every time I want to get the DS online, I have to mess with the router settings, which is a PITA.

I'm not all that familiar with routers...is it possible to get another router and set it up AT THE SAME TIME as my Airport? It would basically be used only for the DS. Or could I accomplish this with the Nintendo Dongle? (bear in mind I already connect the laptop that the dongle would be attached to Wirelessly...)

...I can't answer that. I don't think you can have two routers using the same connection unless one of them is plugged into the other, but the cable would be different, uh, I'm out.

The dongle, however, that's cool. It just acts as a mini-router just for the DS that connects to something with a net connection via USB.

Ink! I wanna watch the match when you're done. :D

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Probopass is only level 2, lol!

I thought your name was Damian.

RockinX on
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

if you want to regularly use your DS with your wifi, you'll need to change the encryption type of your router to WEP instead of WPA. then setup a new password etc.. then resetup your wii and computer to use WEP instead of WPA. i'm kind of in the same boat. my router is setup for WPA but i'm not sure i want (or feel like) switching it to WEP.

krylon666 on
    edited March 2009
    Hmm, I forgot Zapdos was a legendary... But finally Tommy gets to battle!

RockinX on
    edited March 2009

If your Airport has ethernet ports behind it, using one of those as the feed for a secondary router's Line In could possibly work in this way. I've never worked with the Airport before, but typically when two routers are connected in this fashion the firmware automatically propagates settings from the first router to the second; i.e., they would both have the same SSID and be subject to the same encryption.

If you are willing to manually configure the secondary router, though, then you can overwrite the 'default' (propagated) settings, including putting it on a separate SSID. We did this when I lived in a particularly large, shared-living space last year; we had two separate routers, one on each side of the house, named Blankity and Blankity Annex. Blankity had the landlord's encryption, I kept Blankity Annex an open network.

How you go about doing this should be pretty intuitive if you've worked with manual configuration (just basic stuff) of a router before, but this kind of functionality isn't going to be listed in a readme anywhere so you'll just sort of have to puzzle it out or hope to luck into a good Google result.

edit To clarify, to do this you need to connect the second router to one of the Line Out ports [I assume] your Airport has with plain ol' cat5, nothing fancy. If you wanted to have a second router serve this function without being plugged into anything, you need to either 1) install custom firmware on a router able to support it, or 2) buy a special kind of router where this firmware is already installed (I think these are sold as 'repeaters,' 'bridges,' 'extenders,' but I am unsure of which of these, if any, will let you set it up as a separate SSID).

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Hmmm sounds like the dongle would actually be the most hassle free way of going about things. The Airport does use Cat5 but I'm pretty sure the Line out is already being used by a HP Deskjet Wireless print server....

Assuming the Dongle works on a Mac, that is.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited March 2009
    The dongle worked for me until I moved out and became the person who actually was in charge of setting up whatever network infrastructure we had. ^^

"Line Out" might be a deceptive term, I just mean those numbered ports typically used for connecting local PCs. At the same time, like I said I've never seen an Airport personally, so it's possible it does only have one such port but I'd be surprised. D:

But really, the dongle is going to cost you less than anything but the cheapest wireless routers on the market, and those particular routers aren't typically stocked by retailers (who like to upsell consumers who don't know that they don't really need the top-of-the-line $100 WRT). I'd go with the dongle. ^^q

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Not my strongest performance.

I'm going to have to trade this Torterra over to Diamond and check its IVs, I get the impression that this guy is a winner.

Hah! Good game Rockin. I pulled a win out of no where. Thank goodness for all of those useless SpDef EVs Froslass must have picked up!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    Ok...Googling around it looks like it ISN'T Mac compatible. :(

Back to square one I guess. I haven't really messed with WiFi that much anyway...it would just be nice not to be a PiTA everytime I wanted to get on.

Cameron_Talley on
    edited March 2009
    Yes! Free Eevee!

Oh God there are like nine different Eevolutions now D:

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    Not my strongest performance.

I'm going to have to trade this Torterra over to Diamond and check its IVs, I get the impression that this guy is a winner.

Hah! Good game Rockin. I pulled a win out of no where. Thank goodness for all of those useless SpDef EVs Froslass must have picked up!

Good battle out there. I just wish I had hit more than 30% of the time with Stone Edge.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    Ok, so heres the Video No.: 85-99789-88527
    InvisibleInk vs. RockinX
    Enjoy!

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So the first april fool's joke I've seen this year:

Edit: from http://www.legendarypokemon.net
    Breaking news: In an unpredictable and out of the norms move, Nintendo of Japan decided to sue against all fansites about Pocket Monsters and willing to shut them down or head them towards new directions. Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata, says among others, the following in the official Cease and Desist announcement1 issued from their headquarters:

When we envisioned the future of the franchise upon its creation, we intented to have yearly Pokémon giveways during predefined events. Unfortunately these meddling fansites put our vision in harm by uncovering secret legendaries such as Shaymin and Arceus before we decide to reveal them according to our plot.

This situation has to come to a quick end. We will make use of all the legal resources available to use in order to pursue our goal, that is tear appart the online fan community of Pokémon, and maybe go as far as to prohibit the use of our copyrighted names.

As much as we'd like to consider this an April Fool's prank, I am afraid this is not a joke my fellow fans. We have nothing but to comply with their orders, so I quickly changed out layout to match the requirements. We shall be named Legendary Courgette from now on, and that's zucchini for our American readers, or κολοκύθι for our Greek friends. Further changes shall be made in the following days so stay tuned!

Anywho, I didn't know that pokemon with egg moves is good currency. A friend of mine was willing to give me 2 shinies and a life orb for my phanpy with ice shard and eevee with wish and toxic. Good thing I bred up a bunch of these guys.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
    edited March 2009
    Hasn't that been done several times already?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    and isn't that possibly the most unconvincing and obvious prank you could post? At least come up with a cool looking fake pokemon.

Somebody should dig up those images of the Dark/Fighting/Psychic starters that were rumored to be the new starters for D/P. Make up a story saying that Nintendo found the person who made them and bought the characters or hired the artist or something.
    But seriously, someone dig up those pictures again. Those were some awesome fakes.

Question: Why is it that the Japanese are always battling at Lvl 50? Every video I watch with Japanese players, its all lvl50. Its like, what wrong with lvl 100?

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    if you want to regularly use your DS with your wifi, you'll need to change the encryption type of your router to WEP instead of WPA. then setup a new password etc.. then resetup your wii and computer to use WEP instead of WPA. i'm kind of in the same boat. my router is setup for WPA but i'm not sure i want (or feel like) switching it to WEP.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Plus, I have 3 housemates as well that i'd have to deal with if I change the encryption. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that yet. :(

@Kay and/or Rami: Would either of you guys be available in the neighborhood of 7-9pm eastern time some time this week to trade? Also, I'm liking the looks of an Aron too. Would either of you have one available as well? I do have some shards that I've been picking up. I don't want to feel like too much of a mooch. ;)

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited March 2009
    I think it may have to do with the official rules for the tournaments. Double battles, no two items of the same species, no autoleveling, level 50 everyone, Fox only.

RockinX on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RockinX wrote: »
    I think it may have to do with the official rules for the tournaments. Double battles, no two items of the same species, no autoleveling, level 50 everyone, Fox only.

Final Destination!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif