As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon: You'd think the third game would have been Crystal (Platinum is out)

• troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok, so heres the Video No.: 85-99789-88527
    InvisibleInk vs. RockinX
    Enjoy!

how would I be able to watch this?

troublebrewing on
  • InvisibleInkInvisibleInk Po,OrRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Go to GTS in Jubilife, take the Red warp panel to the Battle Video area. Go to one of the terminals and enter the code I posted.

You could also just choose Newest 30. Its number 7 as I type this. It'll probably be off that list by the end of the day.

In my profile there's a Ponyta next to my character sprite, why Ponyta I wonder? Hmm.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    @Kay and/or Rami: Would either of you guys be available in the neighborhood of 7-9pm eastern time some time this week to trade? Also, I'm liking the looks of an Aron too. Would either of you have one available as well? I do have some shards that I've been picking up. I don't want to feel like too much of a mooch. ;)

7/9pm EST is a bit hard for me, as I'm on GMT, and that's midnight-2am. On a work night, no beans. Weekends could be okay, though. Friday is usually my earliest night, for some reason. I'm usually worn out after work!

Kay2 on
  • mtjimmermtjimmer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    krylon666 wrote: »
    if you want to regularly use your DS with your wifi, you'll need to change the encryption type of your router to WEP instead of WPA. then setup a new password etc.. then resetup your wii and computer to use WEP instead of WPA. i'm kind of in the same boat. my router is setup for WPA but i'm not sure i want (or feel like) switching it to WEP.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Plus, I have 3 housemates as well that i'd have to deal with if I change the encryption. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that yet. :(

The DSi is supposed to be able to handle WPA, at least.

mtjimmer on
    3DS: 4940-5610-9523; Pokemon Safari: [Poison] Gloom, Ariados, Whirlipede
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    @Kay and/or Rami: Would either of you guys be available in the neighborhood of 7-9pm eastern time some time this week to trade? Also, I'm liking the looks of an Aron too. Would either of you have one available as well? I do have some shards that I've been picking up. I don't want to feel like too much of a mooch. ;)

7/9pm EST is a bit hard for me, as I'm on GMT, and that's midnight-2am. On a work night, no beans. Weekends could be okay, though. Friday is usually my earliest night, for some reason. I'm usually worn out after work!

I'm GMT as well but 2am shouldn't be a problem.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mtjimmer wrote: »
    krylon666 wrote: »
    if you want to regularly use your DS with your wifi, you'll need to change the encryption type of your router to WEP instead of WPA. then setup a new password etc.. then resetup your wii and computer to use WEP instead of WPA. i'm kind of in the same boat. my router is setup for WPA but i'm not sure i want (or feel like) switching it to WEP.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Plus, I have 3 housemates as well that i'd have to deal with if I change the encryption. I'm not sure I'm willing to do that yet. :(

The DSi is supposed to be able to handle WPA, at least.

NO. The DSi ONLY uses WPA for NEW games (not even sure about those) and DSi Only features. Supposedly you will NOT be able to use WPA for already released games. I guess we will find out for sure on April 5th. And yes, I KNOW this doesn't make sense.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Rami wrote: »

I'm GMT as well but 2am shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, thanks guys. I'll try and find out my code tonight and then I'll figure out what my schedule looks like for the rest of the week.

Edit: The US (well most of it anyway) is on daylight savings time now. (Is this just a stupid US thing or do other countries do it as well?) So, I'm on EDT and thus GMT -4 I believe. Hence, it would be 11pm-1am. It maybe easier just to wait till Saturday anyway, work schedule is kinda wacky. I'll keep you guys posted.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited March 2009
    Would you like either of them to have a nickname? Chosen by either you or me.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Snow Cloak and 3 Double Teams? Fuck you!

Seven badges down.

Torterra lv40
    Staraptor lv41
    Bibarel lv40
    Luxray lv40
    Kricketune lv41
    Bronzong lv41

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
    edited March 2009
    Would you like either of them to have a nickname? Chosen by either you or me.

It don't matter to me. I haven't nicknamed any of my Pokemon. I might now that I've quasi settled on a group, but it really doesn't matter. There's a guy in the (2nd?) city that can change them anyway, right?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    edited March 2009
    I had my Froslass face off against hers, hers was faster but it missed twice in a row thanks to Snow Cloak while I finished it off with Shadow Ball.

You can't change the name of pokemon from a different trainer chrono.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    My Bronzong is outspeeding things that he really shouldn't be, even with a speed-decreasing nature. Might end up feeding him some of those EV reducing berries to make Gyro Ball more effective.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited March 2009

Yep, choose a name now or be forever satisfied with FLYGON etc.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    I had my Froslass face off against hers, hers was faster but it missed twice in a row thanks to Snow Cloak while I finished it off with Shadow Ball.

Well bollocks.

Well, then surprise me then. Just keep it PG-rated if you do name them. ;)

chrono_traveller on
    edited March 2009
    My Bronzong is outspeeding things that he really shouldn't be, even with a speed-decreasing nature. Might end up feeding him some of those EV reducing berries to make Gyro Ball more effective.

I have a slowass forretress with an iron ball and gyro ball is still pretty bad, especially at 5 pp.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009

I have a slowass forretress with an iron ball and gyro ball is still pretty bad, especially at 5 pp.

Well it's not like this guy learns much of anything useful for the singleplayer on level-up anyway. He's mostly for soaking up hits and using Confuse Ray as-is.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited March 2009
    Edit: The US (well most of it anyway) is on daylight savings time now. (Is this just a stupid US thing or do other countries do it as well?) So, I'm on EDT and thus GMT -4 I believe. Hence, it would be 11pm-1am. It maybe easier just to wait till Saturday anyway, work schedule is kinda wacky. I'll keep you guys posted.

The UK does it too, just a month or so after you guys. Our clocks went forward on Saturday evening, so we're still 5 hours ahead of you.

Kay2 on
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm astounded by the speed the thread is going. If it keeps up like this, I may even have to start the new OP tonight.

RockinX on
    edited March 2009

Well it's not like this guy learns much of anything useful for the singleplayer on level-up anyway. He's mostly for soaking up hits and using Confuse Ray as-is.

Gyro Ball's pretty awesome on the right Pokémon.

Bear in mind that in single player, it's likely that you're higher level than most stuff, and therefore, your speed's higher. In competitive battling, where people specifically train stuff to be as fast as possible, and you can breed yours to be as slow as possible, it's a great attack.

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Okay I have a Trapinch and Aron ready for you, they have good natures but I haven't checked their IVs yet.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    Maylene, what are you even doing here?

Sixfortyfive on
  • edited March 2009
    curse steelix + gyro ball = oh crap

Push Button / Receive Cat on
    edited March 2009

Who is Maylene?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    RockinX wrote: »

Who is Maylene?
    Veilstone Gym leader. She's just chilling in the Snowpoint Pokemon center.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, shes heading up Route 217 to Snowpoint at the same time as you. She's going to go train with her friend Candice. Just a minor little detail. Its nice. Makes me wish that they had brought back the Fame Checker item from FireRed/LeafGreen.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    I'm about to talk to my Rival outside Canalave Library, but I've not completed the Iron Island with Riley yet. I just took the HM from him, then flew back. After that, I head to Snowpoint, right?

There're some nice touches to events in Platinum - is the RBY Gym Leader still north of Sunyshore, on the beach? I forget what she was there for in D/P, but I think she had a purpose.

Also! Um. I forgot what I was going to ask. Maybe something to do with if I need a spare slot in my party or I miss out on Riley's Riolu egg, or at which point in the story do I end up coming face to face with Giratina? (I'll need to trade the right Synchroniser over, and have it in my party, see. With a Master Ball.)

Also also also! When the hell do I storm the Team Galactic Building in Veilstone? I could have sworn that I should have done it by now. (Six gym badges.)

Maylene is my favorite D/P/Pt gym leader, I think. Her new portrait, and battle animation are neat, and I really, really liked the three-episode story about her regaining her fighting spirit in the anime. Watching her casually deflect Aura Spheres that her Lucario was tossing at her with her BARE FISTS AND FEET was awesome. Bitch is hardcore.

Also also also also also! Ink, weren't you looking for these?

Kay2 on
    edited March 2009
    Okay I have a Trapinch and Aron ready for you, they have good natures but I haven't checked their IVs yet.

Thanks man. Don't spend too much time on it though. I'm still not much past the "oooh, wow look at those critters fighting each other" phase. :)

I don't really know how much I'll get into the competitive battling part of the game.

Just wondering, is there someway to just do a random match with someone online, or can you only do it by friend code?

chrono_traveller on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Someone named Jandice? Is north of Sunnyshore, and she gives you surf. All the Giratina and Team Galactic stuff happen between gyms 7 and 8. You'll see a bit of it after teh 6th, but not much.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
    edited March 2009
    Something like that. I just completed Leaf Green a few months ago, and I can't even remember who she was in that game. I'm terrible.

Kay2 on
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Also! Um. I forgot what I was going to ask. Maybe something to do with if I need a spare slot in my party or I miss out on Riley's Riolu egg
    You definitely need a spare slot unless you want to get back in there again to get your egg. I kinda forgot and regret it a lot, even if i got some okay exp going through there again.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
    edited March 2009
    Also! Um. I forgot what I was going to ask. Maybe something to do with if I need a spare slot in my party or I miss out on Riley's Riolu egg, or at which point in the story do I end up coming face to face with Giratina? (I'll need to trade the right Synchroniser over, and have it in my party, see. With a Master Ball.)
    I don't know if its the same, but the first egg you get (I forget the name, but it literally looks like a chicken still in part of its shell) the game won't allow you to go any farther till you make room to pick up the egg. I (obviously) don't know if its the same for any further eggs.
    Also also also! When the hell do I storm the Team Galactic Building in Veilstone? I could have sworn that I should have done it by now. (Six gym badges.)

If Veilstone is the city I think it is (the one with the fighting gym), you should have talked to Dawn right after finishing the fighting gym (I just did this part yesterday). This is where you get the HM Fly.

chrono_traveller on
    edited March 2009
    Maytag wrote: »
    Also! Um. I forgot what I was going to ask. Maybe something to do with if I need a spare slot in my party or I miss out on Riley's Riolu egg
    You definitely need a spare slot unless you want to get back in there again to get your egg. I kinda forgot and regret it a lot, even if i got some okay exp going through there again.
    I bought 99 Super Repels precisely for reasons like this.

I'm not bothering with catching much of anything else until the post-game.

EDIT: Cyrus in front of the jumbotron was neat, but I was a little disappointed that there was no comical disposing of the grunts.

Sixfortyfive on
    edited March 2009

Thanks man. Don't spend too much time on it though. I'm still not much past the "oooh, wow look at those critters fighting each other" phase. :)

I don't really know how much I'll get into the competitive battling part of the game.

Just wondering, is there someway to just do a random match with someone online, or can you only do it by friend code?

You can only fight people who are friends, but when you beat the elite 4 you can go to the battle tower. One of the battle tower options is to fight other people's teams, it goes online and download 7 teams from other people the same rank as you (it goes 1-10) that you can fight.

I checked the IVs and they're pretty great, if you're not really into that serious side of it they basically have high base stats.

Rami on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2009
    Also also also also also! Ink, weren't you looking for these?

YES! Those are the best fakes ever.

The Gym Leader that gives you Waterfall is Jasmine the Steel Gym leader from Gold/Silver. Yet another Johto reference, Platinum has even more of them than D/P. Hmm.
    HMMMMM MIGHT THEY BE HINTING? WHO KNOWS.

Storming the Veilstone building happens after the 7th gym and then Spear Pillar and Giratina happen after storming the building, so you still have a bit of stuff to do.
    Personally, I KO'd Giratina in the Distortion World and eventually i'm going to go and catch it at Sendoff Spring.
    First I have to catch Azelf and Uxie to finish the Sinnoh dex, but I don't have any Synchronizers so it may take a little time to get something decent. Traded over some Master Balls to make it a bit simpler though.
    I don't know why I'm trying to catch decents ones, I still hope we don't allow their use.
    Ugh, and then I have so many other Legends running around Sinnoh that I'll have to catch. The D/P legends, the Bird trio, the Regis. Christ, to many fricken legends.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited March 2009
    I wish it were like G/S where all of Kanto opens up afterwards.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Delicious Toad!Delicious Toad! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    What's all this talk of 'Synchronizers' for the purposes of catching stuff? I just finished Hearthome Gym, that was a really annoying one ... bunch of people with fast ghosts that just spam Night Shade = lots of trips to the PKMN Center so that I can keep distributing EXP how I want to. Fantina was a push-over though, it was just dealing with all of those Ghastlys that kept knocking off my Poke's HP in unavoidable thirds that were annoying. :P

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited March 2009
    New comers, do you find the Original Post useful? Is there something you'd like modified?

RockinX on
    edited March 2009
    OP is :^: as far as I'm concerned, but I don't care for classy penguins so you should get a picture of a cooler Pokemon for the next OP :wink:

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png
    edited April 2009
    Eventually I hope we'll have a long list of Battle Video Numbers in the OP.

Toad, Synchronizers refers to the Synchronize ability that Abra and others have. If you have a Synchronize pokemon in the lead that will increase the chances that the wild pokemon you encounter will have the same Nature as your Synchronize pokemon. It works on legends as well.
    Unfortunately I only have one Synchronize Abra, its Adamant and I stole that from my neices FireRed character.
    I guess an Adamant Azelf would be ok, but I don't want every legend that I catch to be Adamant.

InvisibleInk on
    3DS-3995-6602-5217
    NNID-InvisibleInk
    edited April 2009
    My Kadabra is Jolly.

I will preemptively assume this is a terrible nature, and makes him worthless for this purpose despite his Synchronize ability. ^^

Delicious Toad! on
    frogsig.png