As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Solved] Computer locks up in BIOS.

ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
My computer locks up on the POST splash screen then reboots, it might do this repeatedly. Can't even get into BIOS setup without to freezing. Sometimes it gets to windows, even had time log on to steam once, but it will still lock up. It started when I replaced my Intel cpu's heatsink with a zalman one. I had to take to mobo out to attach the heatsink. It worked before I replaced the heatsink. I've tried replacing the ram and psu to no effect. At this point I want to say it's the mobo but I thought I'd ask someone with more experience before I waste more money.

I'm using a wii to post and it's starting to annoy me.

Shabooty on

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That kind of sounds like the CPU overheating to me... did you check the mounting on the new heatsink/go overboard with thermal paste/have no thermal paste?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I got some arctic sliver and followed the instructions in putting it on. Plus one time I got into xp long enough to check speedfan. Both cores were at 49c then. They did get to 95c before I got the heatsink, though.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    have you tried resetting the motherboard to default settings via the jumpers?

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Don't think it has jumpers.

Also, the first time it started up it told me the cpu was changed even though all I did was change heatsinks.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    no one sells a motherboard without jumpers or dip switches to reset the bios back to failsafe defaults afaik. Take a look in your mobos manual.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Try to boot with the motherboard out of the case while sitting on some card board. It might be shorting somewhere that you're not seeing. If this is the case (shorting) it usually won't post at all, but it's worth a shot. If this turns out to be the issue, look into getting some plastic risers for your mother board, or just reseating it until it no longer has an issue.

Next, triple check the RAM seating, power connectors, and any PCI~ cards.

You mentioned not changing the CPU or anything, just the heat sink, so I wouldn't bother with jumper settings - since it was working before that shouldn't be an issue. But, it doesn't hurt to try clearing it, and there should be some jumpers or dip switches to do this. Just check the mobo manual (download it if you have to).

Teth on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There might be a screw behind the mobo. I'll try rooting it out.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I did manage to get a beep code. It said there was problem with the graphics card. I try rebooting to try to get it to happen again but it didn't happen again.

Also, it sounds like the HD will spin up a couple times before the computer will actually turn on.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Now I'm always getting beeps. 1 long, 3 short. It's an award bios so it's the video card or it's memory. I want to know if a fried card would work to test to see if it is the card I have now. I mean aside from artifacts it worked.

Also, I tried resetting BIOS with the jumper. Don't know if it worked because it won't boot at all now. At least I have a beep code to go by.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    doesn't that beep code mean you're having some memory issues? you should try with minimal amounts of ram in different slots. hopefully you have more than one stick of ram, and of those at least one that's in good working order.

also the cheap way to reset the cmos is to power on with the mobo battery out, but doesn't sound like that's really the issue here.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Everywhere I've looked said 1 long, 3 short is a video or video ram problem. I could of said that it's an asus p5n-e sli, though. I'm gonna switch out the card for the fried one that still works. If that doesn't work I'll see what my warranty looks like on my mobo.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try re-seating your videocard, that seems to be the problem.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try booting it without the video card in - what kind of beeps do you get then?

It does sound like something is shorting out.

Also, try reseating the processor and fan assembly, that could be a problem.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My video card's 6-pin was loose, so that explains that. Still getting lockups but so far only in windows. I've noticed the HD sounds very grindy when it spins up so I'm gonna look into that.

Edit: Also it sounds like the HD tries to spin up multiple times before the computer will even POST.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well now that your bios is stable you should be able to do a s.m.a.r.t test on the hd. or if you have a chance boot off a rescue cd and run some hd surface tests/memory to see what's going on. basically eliminate hd, memory, heat and electrical shorting as problems.

passing all that, then yeah, i'd start pointing fingers at your mobo. i have the one after yours, the p5n-e sli plus and it really wasn't as solid as i expected. i had to slowly back off any over voltages i did to support my o/c and eventually just dropped to defaults and bought a faster chip.

noweat on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ultimate Boot CD

That HDD is definitely dead, I suppose the lockups are that the screen just freezes right? That's what happened when my HDD started to die.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I dunno now. I'm on my computer now and everything seems fine. It took I few restarts before it got past the mobo logo screen. And I'm still getting the beeps codes I getting before but all I have to do is reboot and it'll work. I'm starting to suspect my mobo.

Edit: I don't know how good speedfan is for this, but it says my HD in at 99% fitness and 100% performance.

In fact, I'm just gonna give it a nice spring cleaning. Take everything out, get most of the dust out, reseat it all again, and just see what happens.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If a cold boot fails the first time but a reboot works, your PSU is probably not quite up to snuff (or you have a short somewhere or maybe something slightly faulty on the mobo itself.) I've had a couple systems act like that, where to power them on I'd have to flip the switch on the PSU, hit the power button on the case, let it spin up, flip the switch on the PSU to off, then on, then hit the power button again for a fresh boot which would (usually) work.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I thought I should tell you it's fixed. I replaced the video card and mobo. I think I t was the video card that did it. I discovered that after my computer froze I would restart and get a beep code about my video card. Then I put 2 and 2 together. It's annoying that it took me so long to figure it out but it's working so far.

Shabooty on