As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Street Fighter IV: IN-DE-STRUCT-ABLE

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    *possibly

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    (snip) But she has ridiculous pressure game with her Thunder knuckle, her overhead (F+MP) and she can cancel any standing normal attack into an ultra (I've only got this once on a gief)

Speaking of... I throw out (F+MP) when I see them crouch blocking more than normal, but it doesn't seem to help much. They just sweep me after (or spam crouch + light something). Is there any combo with it? It doesn't seem likely... seems like it would be too good. Any advice how to use it effectively?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »
    (snip) But she has ridiculous pressure game with her Thunder knuckle, her overhead (F+MP) and she can cancel any standing normal attack into an ultra (I've only got this once on a gief)

Speaking of... I throw out (F+MP) when I see them crouch blocking more than normal, but it doesn't seem to help much. They just sweep me after (or spam crouch + light something). Is there any combo with it? It doesn't seem likely... seems like it would be too good. Any advice how to use it effectively?

Not really a combo, but you can mix up throws or crouching short thunder knuckle combos.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I've got a question about the fightpads. A friend of mine is just now getting off of the 360 controller, and he's looking for a fightpad. Everywhere he looks, they tell him the fightpads were a limited edition and there won't be any more. Is there any truth to that?

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I've got a question about the fightpads. A friend of mine is just now getting off of the 360 controller, and he's looking for a fightpad. Everywhere he looks, they tell him the fightpads were a limited edition and there won't be any more. Is there any truth to that?

Lies, Mad Catz is making more but they are sold out almost everywhere and getting one is going to suck.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

No and chun li/blanka pads go for about retail on ebay nowadays.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    no

there will be more

this is like the opposite of highlander

there must be more than one! (shipment)

Joolander on
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

They lie/don't know shit - it's coming - just keep checking for the next batch.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Our Easter tourney just got hugerer. Buffalo is coming up, about 10 people, for SC4 and some SF4, too. We're looking at almost 40 people for SF4 right now. There will be money matches and a TO vs Buffalo team tourney after the singles tournament, as well as money girl(s). Anyone who can come really should come. It's going to be awesome.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Our Easter tourney just got hugerer. Buffalo is coming up, about 10 people, for SC4 and some SF4, too. We're looking at almost 40 people for SF4 right now. There will be money matches and a TO vs Buffalo team tourney after the singles tournament, as well as money girl(s). Anyone who can come really should come. It's going to be awesome.
    I'm afraid to ask what a money girl is.

Game tourneys are fun even if you don't stand a chance of winning because of the atmosphere. You can bask in all that positive energy and almost imagine that arcades never died. Sometimes it's kind of sad just watching people shuffle off when the tourney's over. It feels like something that people should do on a monthly basis.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ah, cool. Thanks, guys.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hate Zangief so much. As Chun Li it feels like I have to work three times as hard to win the match. I can lay kikokens and chip him away for 70 seconds of the match and lose it in about five. It feels so horribly unbalanced, but SRK says the match is pretty even. Is there something I'm missing here?

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FreddyD wrote: »

Game tourneys are fun even if you don't stand a chance of winning because of the atmosphere. You can bask in all that positive energy and almost imagine that arcades never died. Sometimes it's kind of sad just watching people shuffle off when the tourney's over. It feels like something that people should do on a monthly basis.

Money girl.

They are a lot of fun. Hell, I'm joining the SF4 tourney and I don't even play that game. Tourneys are where it's at, and all the SC4 players are really great guys/girls. The Buffalo folk are nice, too, and it seems we may have a few other US players who want to make the trip. Also, since it's Easter long weekend we're going to stay open later than usual, probably 9 or 10pm before everyone packs up. We do have these tourneys about once a month, but this is only the second time we've added SF4.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I hate Zangief so much. As Chun Li it feels like I have to work three times as hard to win the match. I can lay kikokens and chip him away for 70 seconds of the match and lose it in about five. It feels so horribly unbalanced, but SRK says the match is pretty even. Is there something I'm missing here?

it's probably evenly matched because he just has to rely on you making a mistake, if you make none there isn't a whole lot that he can do. It is still lame how he can just take down half you health because you stepped in a bit too close.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FreddyD wrote: »

I'd imagine just a girl that holds the money bet on said match.

Certainly sounds fun, just move it about 12 hours south and east!

Edit: Way to hide her face, Page!

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

it's probably evenly matched because he just has to rely on you making a mistake, if you make none there isn't a whole lot that he can do. It is still lame how he can just take down half you health because you stepped in a bit too close.
    It's not that Zangief's hard to beat. It's that the match is so boring that you don't get any satisfaction from it even if you win. You have to play him very safe unless you are really good at footsies and baiting whiffed throws.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    She hid her own face! There are other vids with her, though. She hands out the money after the Grand Finals match.

She was actually out shopping for shoes half the tourney. At least she brought all the money back, though.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sivraj wrote: »
    L.E.O. wrote: »
    -snip

i was being serious, i really want to know if you can actually kick ass at this game using a joy pad.

I use the 360 Pad, and i feel i'm pretty good. I use the analog stick instead of the D-Pad. I use the default button layout. I honestly don't have too much trouble using it. I have roughly 2500BP, and i've beaten the game on Hardest (But we all know you can cheese through it).

The 360 Pad gets a lot of hate. I know it's not perfect, but i don't see how the Fight Pad is leaps and bounds above it (Excluding the 360's terrible D-Pad).

Yeah, I'm in the same bp range and I use the 360 controller (analog stick) with default settings.

I sanded out the d-pad wall and it's much better than before but it still slides around and tends to mess me up. I gotta do that pringles cover mod next and I should be good to go.

Ranced on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

The thing I despise most about it is his SPD. Maybe my timing is slightly off, but it seems that he can SPD in between a sc.rh into ex legs. He foils EVERYTHING. I feel okay with the fight as long as I'm even the tiniest bit ahead on life but when I have less health, I feel like he has all the advantages. I can't hurt him from afar, and he's going to hurt me WAY more up close most of the time. Lariat defeats crossup kick, massive priority/low start up on spd. It's all ridiculous.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Damn can't believe I missed out on the last one. April is loaded with local tourneys it seems.

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite
  • Options
    aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The thing I despise most about it is his SPD. Maybe my timing is slightly off, but it seems that he can SPD in between a sc.rh into ex legs. He foils EVERYTHING. I feel okay with the fight as long as I'm even the tiniest bit ahead on life but when I have less health, I feel like he has all the advantages. I can't hurt him from afar, and he's going to hurt me WAY more up close most of the time. Lariat defeats crossup kick, massive priority/low start up on spd. It's all ridiculous.

SPD's have 2 frame startup which is insanely fast. Basically, if you screw up a combo you run the risk of eating a SPD. It's gotten to the point where I don't even try to go for link combos against gief, cause if you fuck up... that's a SPD :|

I don't really bother trying to cross up gief either. At best, I might try a meaty *something*, but usually I just stand close and when they get up jump back + fierce (as vega) or roundhouse (as chunli). It'll stuff lariats, throws, green hands (not sure about EX), and hits them if they crouch... so they can only block high really.

Before my 360 died, I had a lot of luck with Blanka against gief. Balls were pretty safe (I guess you can kara-glove them, but that's basically a whole nother level of play that I'm not at), slide beats lariat clean, and s.roundhouse beats/trades with most gief jump ins.

aBlank on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    RuffNite wrote: »

Damn can't believe I missed out on the last one. April is loaded with local tourneys it seems.

It also seems that you have not yet signed up for this epic tournament. FT10, any character. $10. I challenge you!
    To VF5.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone been able to get a game that has not lagged today on live? This is horrible.

How is C viper suppose to work? I cant even hit an opponent with her, 3 perfections in a row against me. I am godly in training and I can whip out comboes like nothing but on live I can't even hit anyone.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, if you miss a single link, Zangief can get in a SPD. So, instead of going for a fancy combo, do a short safe one and back off.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why does a system update shut off all internet use? :(

Survival is starting to become a little bit more rape.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, if you miss a single link, Zangief can get in a SPD. So, instead of going for a fancy combo, do a short safe one and back off.

I've had Zangief SPD me in the middle of a string that I was pretty sure was perfectly safe.

Now I just now that it's perfectly safe on anyone that's not a 400-pound bear-rasslin' Russia.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if all of Zangief's normals and specials weren't faster, safer, more damaging, and had higher priority than every single one of Gen's moves. I still can't believe it ever got past playtesting that a c.mp or c.rh could be punished with an SPD on hit.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

I've had Zangief SPD me in the middle of a string that I was pretty sure was perfectly safe.

Now I just now that it's perfectly safe on anyone that's not a 400-pound bear-rasslin' Russia.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if all of Zangief's normals and specials weren't faster, safer, more damaging, and had higher priority than every single one of Gen's moves. I still can't believe it ever got past playtesting that a c.mp or c.rh could be punished with an SPD on hit.

Crane or mantis?

Because crane is slow enough to justify it.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »

Crane or mantis?

Both for the c.mp.

Crane for the c.rh But that's true whether Zangief's on the ground or in the air when he gets hit, which is close to inexcusable.

Also, Zangief's weird pop-up and fall speeds means he isn't subject to the normal Gen combo's off of Oga.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well. By switching from Ranked Match to Player Match, I now have something I never had before.

A 41-game win streak.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Crane or mantis?

Both for the c.mp.

Crane for the c.rh But that's true whether Zangief's on the ground or in the air when he gets hit, which is close to inexcusable.

Also, Zangief's weird pop-up and fall speeds means he isn't subject to the normal Gen combo's off of Oga.

Does the roll attack thing go under lariat?

But yeah, I really can't see Gen doing well against Zangief, or any character without a projectile.

Also, could you give me any combo tips with Gen? I can pull the moves off somewhat well, but I have no idea when it comes to combos.

Edit: to clarify, it's any character without projectile against Zangief.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I just finished my stick, well, basically. I have to redo some wiring and recut a bottom piece, not happy with the aesthetics of that. Plugged it in, everything felt pretty good on it, untill I started jumping, and jumping, and jumping some more. I looked at the bottom of the stick, and it seems to rest on the switch a little bit. I can get it to work for the most part, but it likes to rest there. Argh! I"m using a happs ultimate joystick (I know, I found out after the fact its a giant piece of shit. Planning on swapping it out) maybe its just that, but I'm guessings its probably i did something wrong. So, as soon as I get that working I have a stick!

Thinking about bulding 5 more and selling them and seeing how that goes, the electronics are pretty easy, and I'm going to have some good woodworkers do the boxes. Probably have to upgrade to one of those :)

Tommatt on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Zangief is harder without a projectile for setups but you just need to use more mindgames to get them to fuck up, replace the fireballs with mindbullets.

Snare on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Crane or mantis?

Both for the c.mp.

Does the roll attack thing go under lariat?

But yeah, I really can't see Gen doing well against Zangief, or any character without a projectile.

Also, could you give me any combo tips with Gen? I can pull the moves off somewhat well, but I have no idea when it comes to combos.

Roll gets hit by a high tiger shot. Lariat destroys roll.

Combos with Gen:
    Crane: j.hk x 2, c.mp xx hp.Roll
    Mantis: j.hp, s.hp xx hp.hands

Those are my bread and butter combos. They're safe on block (except against Zangief) and good at getting a little bit of chip damage in there.

Also try Oga into... well... anything. I prefer Oga, Bicycle Kick, because it gives a full 1.5 segments of EX Bar, but oga into anything will get you some nice meter if it hits. If you have full bar (either bar) the Oga combos disgustingly well into either super/ultra

Don't forget to mix up your Oga. Gen has seven different options off the walljump and you need ALL of them to keep up pressure and mind games.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tommatt wrote: »
    So I just finished my stick, well, basically. I have to redo some wiring and recut a bottom piece, not happy with the aesthetics of that. Plugged it in, everything felt pretty good on it, untill I started jumping, and jumping, and jumping some more. I looked at the bottom of the stick, and it seems to rest on the switch a little bit. I can get it to work for the most part, but it likes to rest there. Argh! I"m using a happs ultimate joystick (I know, I found out after the fact its a giant piece of shit. Planning on swapping it out) maybe its just that, but I'm guessings its probably i did something wrong. So, as soon as I get that working I have a stick!

Thinking about bulding 5 more and selling them and seeing how that goes, the electronics are pretty easy, and I'm going to have some good woodworkers do the boxes. Probably have to upgrade to one of those :)

Get yourself a Happ Competition if you like American joysticks. (God damn the "Ultimate" is so shitty.)

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Holy crap, been using Sagat in survival for awhile, in the one where you have unlimited super.

His super is way too easy to combo into.

Edit: Zangief rape

Taramoor, after watching this, I feel your pain.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs1AjyyQ11s

A buddy of mine just posted videos from the top 8 of our first RanBat. We had a few casual Third Strike matches that got recorded as well. There's some good stuff in there if you're bored and want to see some scrubby Midwest play :P

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1BF48A9EF4C7F04A

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy crap, been using Sagat in survival for awhile, in the one where you have unlimited super.

His super is way too easy to combo into.

If you want an easy mode on the challenges that give you unlimited super or ultra meter, pick Akuma. Raging Demon. Opponent gets hit and is then knocked down. As they get up, Raging Demon. Repeat.

Hits the challenge AI every single time.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guile of any playstyle is like the bane of my street fighter existance, the agro ones who do the short combos to sonic booms or flash kicks give me fits, the defensive ones normally squeak out wins in 5 rounds of close fighting.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    How is C viper suppose to work? I cant even hit an opponent with her, 3 perfections in a row against me. I am godly in training and I can whip out comboes like nothing but on live I can't even hit anyone.
    C.Viper isn't for everybody. I play her about 90% of the time and I'm not horrible with her, but I lose a whole lot. Viper takes crazy damage so any mistake you make can be punished pretty heavily, she's a high reward/very high risk character. If I was really worried about my BP and winning a lot online there is no way I'd play with her as much as I do.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just lost 5 ranked games in a row, Sagat is just ridiculous, i really really struggle to beat one when he is played even moderately well.

FRUSTRATION!

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86