As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter IV: IN-DE-STRUCT-ABLE

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Yea, if you miss a single link, Zangief can get in a SPD. So, instead of going for a fancy combo, do a short safe one and back off.

I've had Zangief SPD me in the middle of a string that I was pretty sure was perfectly safe.

Now I just now that it's perfectly safe on anyone that's not a 400-pound bear-rasslin' Russia.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if all of Zangief's normals and specials weren't faster, safer, more damaging, and had higher priority than every single one of Gen's moves. I still can't believe it ever got past playtesting that a c.mp or c.rh could be punished with an SPD on hit.

If Zangief can SPD you in a string then it's not 100% safe for other chars either or it's a mistime. Other chars should be able to Shoryuken or what not (might wiff) in the same strings.

solsovly on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just to cover all bases a combo is only safe if the Combo score thing that pops up counts every hit, it does include links. If you suddenly see '2 Hit Combo' during a combo, you know it's not safe.

Everyone probably knew this, just thought I'd say it in case.

Snare on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From what I have seen online, by the time that message appears when I miss a link, I've already been punished for it.

stigweard on
  • SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh yeah that's bound to happen. You're a brave man trying to link online! Only a few characters I've played with have links that I might try online. I'm pretty sure they have local, lag-free in mind when they talk about links.

Snare on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay, after sending my stick in I finally got it back. The a button is STILL unresponsive at times even though I told them explicitly that it was having issues.

Meiz on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I.. I don't think I should play this anymore.
    I'm not an angry person or anything.. But the game makes me want to bite someone in the throat.
    Like. Bite them until they stop moving.
    D:

Rizzi on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I.. I don't think I should play this anymore.
    I'm not an angry person or anything.. But the game makes me want to bite someone in the throat.
    Like. Bite them until they stop moving.
    D:

maybe thats because youre playing blanka? :P

Joolander on
    edited April 2009
    I'm.. I'm playing Guile actually..

Rizzi on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oh

well uh

i got nothin

Joolander on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's odd I find my SF play is directly related to how my day goes. If I am having a good day I do well on SF, if I come into SF being annoyed or something from work or the day I am having I do HORRIBLE, and get close to rage fits on SF. Funny how that works, FPS games normally I would do the opposite and play better going into the game slightly on edge vs being calm and laid back.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    When I win, I'm over the moon. I mean.. I'm not that great. Hell, I can barely pull off the motion to do a dragon punch.
    But when someone decides that they're going to spam fireballs at me, or just do zangeifs stupid lariat over and over at me. I get so very angry.
    Only game that's ever done it to me.

Rizzi on
  • j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    How is C viper suppose to work? I cant even hit an opponent with her, 3 perfections in a row against me. I am godly in training and I can whip out comboes like nothing but on live I can't even hit anyone.
    C.Viper isn't for everybody. I play her about 90% of the time and I'm not horrible with her, but I lose a whole lot. Viper takes crazy damage so any mistake you make can be punished pretty heavily, she's a high reward/very high risk character. If I was really worried about my BP and winning a lot online there is no way I'd play with her as much as I do.

I suppose. High level C.Viper play is all offense, and a LOT of it is safe since it's all based on spacing, tricks, and block stun. C.Viper is one of those characters that takes very accurate and precise execution to be good with. A really good C.Viper is hard to deal with from most characters. There's a reason she's consistently ranked in the top tiers at high level play. She's got LOTS of options.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    James Dekk wrote: »
    A buddy of mine just posted videos from the top 8 of our first RanBat. We had a few casual Third Strike matches that got recorded as well. There's some good stuff in there if you're bored and want to see some scrubby Midwest play :P

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=1BF48A9EF4C7F04A

I never played Third Strike, but I didn't realize Dr. Manhatten is in that game.

Well, I guess he's in SFIV too, so...

House of Paincakes on
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    When I win, I'm over the moon. I mean.. I'm not that great. Hell, I can barely pull off the motion to do a dragon punch.
    But when someone decides that they're going to spam fireballs at me, or just do zangeifs stupid lariat over and over at me. I get so very angry.

Guile can be rough to play with Rizzi, so try and give yourself the pep talk that goes like this..

If you lose the match (especially against Sagat, Zangief, Ryu)
    Meh, those players are really high tier and alot stronger than Guile

If you win the match (again especially against Sagat, Zangief, Ryu)
    Damn I'm the shit at this game, I can't believe that idiot lost to Guile.

And before the flame war starts yes I know that tiers mean absolutely nothing at our level of play, but they are great to use for a quick pick me up :lol:

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Yea, if you miss a single link, Zangief can get in a SPD. So, instead of going for a fancy combo, do a short safe one and back off.

I've had Zangief SPD me in the middle of a string that I was pretty sure was perfectly safe.

Now I just now that it's perfectly safe on anyone that's not a 400-pound bear-rasslin' Russia.

I suppose it wouldn't be so bad if all of Zangief's normals and specials weren't faster, safer, more damaging, and had higher priority than every single one of Gen's moves. I still can't believe it ever got past playtesting that a c.mp or c.rh could be punished with an SPD on hit.

If Zangief can SPD you in a string then it's not 100% safe for other chars either or it's a mistime. Other chars should be able to Shoryuken or what not (might wiff) in the same strings.

...and just to reiterate, jab.SPD has a TWO FRAME STARTUP. This is why you can basically spam it if people are playing footsies with block stun combos. Most block stun combos generally aren't "safe", they rely on the fact that your block stun frames + whatever attack you might use to counter are longer than whatever the next move they throw out is. Against most other players, you play footsies throw in block stun strings to fuck with their game. This doesn't work on Zangief since he can punish if you ever get close.

So basic rule of thumb with Zangief is stick and move. Don't stay close for long and when you are in close, make sure you hurt him.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    j0hnz3r wrote: »
    So basic rule of thumb with Zangief is stick and move. Don't stay close for long and when you are in close, make sure you hurt him.

I had so much trouble with Zangief online. My Chun would always get smacked around by him.

Until this week. Using this piece of advice (which seems bloody obvious now), I was able to actually win a few times against a few random Zangiefs. Now, when I lose, most of the time it's because I've played his game, not mine.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    How is C viper suppose to work? I cant even hit an opponent with her, 3 perfections in a row against me. I am godly in training and I can whip out comboes like nothing but on live I can't even hit anyone.
    C.Viper isn't for everybody. I play her about 90% of the time and I'm not horrible with her, but I lose a whole lot. Viper takes crazy damage so any mistake you make can be punished pretty heavily, she's a high reward/very high risk character. If I was really worried about my BP and winning a lot online there is no way I'd play with her as much as I do.

I suppose. High level C.Viper play is all offense, and a LOT of it is safe since it's all based on spacing, tricks, and block stun. C.Viper is one of those characters that takes very accurate and precise execution to be good with. A really good C.Viper is hard to deal with from most characters. There's a reason she's consistently ranked in the top tiers at high level play. She's got LOTS of options.
    I wasn't talking about high level play. I understand she's top tier if you're a high level player but I have more realistic aspirations. I just enjoy playing as her, my execution isn't great so I lose a lot. I'm certainly not complaining.

MarvellousM on
    edited April 2009

Guile isn't awesome, but what he does have isn't bad. You do have to be patient and methodical with him. Just remember that a lot of his normals are quite good, and you can generally stick them out for free. Your goal with Guile is to make them afraid to do anything but block.

Keep them out of the air. Down.Fierce can stuff a lot of jump ins. Yes Flash Kick will do the same, but Flash Kick is more a psychological weapon. Even if you don't have it charged, be ducking. I've kept people out of the air just by hitting two Flash Kicks and ducking most of the time. People will stop jumping into you if they see you constantly ducking. If they're close, they'll try to cross you up since Flash Kick generally whiffs on cross up. You should FA these. In fact, you should FA cross ups in general Finally, Guile's jumping forward kick has good priority, and his air throw has hella good priority, so use it.

On the ground, keep the pressure on with block strings and combos that give you enough time to charge a Sonic Boom. Keep them blocking. Mix up your block strings with a tick throw to throw off their game. Abuse EX for the same reason. Abuse standing forward kick, it allows you to both advance and retreat while keeping someone in block stun.

You aren't going to be using a lot of combos with Guile and you can't punish like the other characters. Guile's whole game revolves around forcing the other player to believe that he can't do anything. You poke them to death with normals and throws.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally, Guile's jumping forward kick has good priority, and his air throw has hella good priority, so use it.
    His air throw is so wrong. I played against a Guile where every sonic boom I jumped over meant eating an air throw. I just simply stopped jumping and then got raped. D:

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally, Guile's jumping forward kick has good priority, and his air throw has hella good priority, so use it.
    His air throw is so wrong. I played against a Guile where every sonic boom I jumped over meant eating an air throw. I just simply stopped jumping and then got raped. D:

What character do you play?

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited April 2009

What character do you play?

I was playing Sakura at the time. I think my problem was that I was timing my jumps wrong or something because I tried to air throw pepes like that as Guile later and just got stuffed like some Pizza Hut pizza crust.

But I usually play Blanka, Boxer, and mildly dabble in Guile, Sakura, Gouken, and Honda.

thepassenger on
  • PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    At long last I have a fightstick arriving tomorrow! Cant wait to lose all my BP learning to use the thing :D

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've found that if a Guile player is telegraphing your forward jumps with air throws it is best to sometimes trick them by jumping straight up and throwing out a poke.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I could see most of those characters having some trouble with a turtle guile. Blanka and Gouken have counters, but I don't know what I'd do with Sakura. You lose the fireball war and she doesn't really have much in the way of cross-ups. Does her hurricane hop over booms?

Zombie Nirvana on
  • eekeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FA tricks totally ruins all of Guile's old pressure tactics. Kinda hard to rely on sonic boom based block strings when your opponent can FA the boom and get a counter hit crumple on your follow up.

eek on
    edited April 2009
    Photon wrote: »
    At long last I have a fightstick arriving tomorrow! Cant wait to lose all my BP learning to use the thing :D

I've played controller for a long time and it took a while for me too. I couldn't play on reaction for a couple weeks, but I'm back to normal now and at about 3200 bp and climbing! It is worth it in the end. :D

Oh and I want more PSN friends. So add me.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited April 2009
    So you just hold FA, absorb the boom, and then as they come in, release the hit? I would imagine if they see you FA, they wouldn't come charging in.

thepassenger on
    edited April 2009
    eek wrote: »
    FA tricks totally ruins all of Guile's old pressure tactics. Kinda hard to rely on sonic boom based block strings when your opponent can FA the boom and get a counter hit crumple on your follow up.

Yes and no, this is why you throw in random throws and tick x2 throws, as well as using EX Sonic Boom. In addition, most Sonic Boom based block strings should be relying pretty heavily by following with something fast like jab or short then throwing. I know it sounds cheap, but tick throwing a lot will make people stop with the FA.

There is a point where Guile just doesn't have the tools to deal with some of the high level play and plenty of other characters can beat him out flat. I'm amused at shotos that can't do it, since well timed hadouken->FADC really ruins Guile's shit.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
    edited April 2009
    Dash forward and throw or release. You probably don't want to do one or the other all the time in case you actually find a Guile who knows how to play. I haven't seen one yet.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited April 2009
    Oh and I want more PSN friends. So add me.
    Will do. :)

Unless you didn't mean me. :|

thepassenger on
    edited April 2009

Guile isn't awesome, but what he does have isn't bad. You do have to be patient and methodical with him. Just remember that a lot of his normals are quite good, and you can generally stick them out for free. Your goal with Guile is to make them afraid to do anything but block.

Keep them out of the air. Down.Fierce can stuff a lot of jump ins. Yes Flash Kick will do the same, but Flash Kick is more a psychological weapon. Even if you don't have it charged, be ducking. I've kept people out of the air just by hitting two Flash Kicks and ducking most of the time. People will stop jumping into you if they see you constantly ducking. If they're close, they'll try to cross you up since Flash Kick generally whiffs on cross up. You should FA these. In fact, you should FA cross ups in general Finally, Guile's jumping forward kick has good priority, and his air throw has hella good priority, so use it.

On the ground, keep the pressure on with block strings and combos that give you enough time to charge a Sonic Boom. Keep them blocking. Mix up your block strings with a tick throw to throw off their game. Abuse EX for the same reason. Abuse standing forward kick, it allows you to both advance and retreat while keeping someone in block stun.

You aren't going to be using a lot of combos with Guile and you can't punish like the other characters. Guile's whole game revolves around forcing the other player to believe that he can't do anything. You poke them to death with normals and throws.

Ok that's exactly how Guile(and really most other charge characters less Blanka) makes me feel in matches, like I have no choice but to wall in and block and poke in between with 1-2 hits here and there and hope I continue to out think the mind games. Most of the time this doesn't work and I end up losing when I try and poke where I don't really have the space to get thru.

How do I deal with this method of Guile play? I use Ken, Abel, and El Fuerte(least issue with Guile for him). Most times I end up in a situation where it's block block block block chip damage from s.boom, block block block overhead, block block block block thrown, block block block attempt to force in a poke eat flash kick, block block block block swept, repeating.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    I'm game for fighting anyone. Stig and I play a lot but we know each other's games too well. Could use some variety.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited April 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »

Ok that's exactly how Guile(and really most other charge characters less Blanka) makes me feel in matches, like I have no choice but to wall in and block and poke in between with 1-2 hits here and there and hope I continue to out think the mind games. Most of the time this doesn't work and I end up losing when I try and poke where I don't really have the space to get thru.

How do I deal with this method of Guile play? I use Ken, Abel, and El Fuerte(least issue with Guile for him). Most times I end up in a situation where it's block block block block chip damage from s.boom, block block block overhead, block block block block thrown, block block block attempt to force in a poke eat flash kick, block block block block swept, repeating.

I have a feeling you aren't using FA or backdash enough. Once you are out of range of the block strings you can beat him in a fireball fight with Ken. That and the forward hop kick and a whole lot of patience should win you the game vs. most Guiles. Occasionally FA + throw and then try a crossup or d.mk -> hadouken. I don't know how to play Abel or El Fuerte. Also you can punish the double sweep in between them - seems most people just block both and allow Guile to reset.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited April 2009

I have a feeling you aren't using FA or backdash enough. Once you are out of range of the block strings you can beat him in a fireball fight with Ken. That and the forward hop kick and a whole lot of patience should win you the game vs. most Guiles. Occasionally FA + throw and then try a crossup or d.mk -> hadouken. I don't know how to play Abel or El Fuerte.

Back dashes I can try and work in, Focus attacks I feel I am better to avoid until I get them down, about 80% of the time I try to Focus Attack in close range situations I eat the hit and either wiff the follow up or it gets blocked and I get punished. I assume I am waiting too long and am supposed to release the FA as I am being hit not after the hit like I normally time it? But you are correct that about all I ever get in is f.mk or d.mk>hadouken on occasion I land a crouching fp or mp.srk on jump-ins.

Abel is another story all together, something about how I play him makes him feel really slow and uncapable, I often run into Abel in ranked matches and can not even fathom how these people play him that he feels so fast. I guess I need to work on my rush down play with Abel.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I have a feeling you aren't using FA or backdash enough. Once you are out of range of the block strings you can beat him in a fireball fight with Ken. That and the forward hop kick and a whole lot of patience should win you the game vs. most Guiles. Occasionally FA + throw and then try a crossup or d.mk -> hadouken. I don't know how to play Abel or El Fuerte.

Back dashes I can try and work in, Focus attacks I feel I am better to avoid until I get them down, about 80% of the time I try to Focus Attack in close range situations I eat the hit and either wiff the follow up or it gets blocked and I get punished. I assume I am waiting too long and am supposed to release the FA as I am being hit not after the hit like I normally time it? But you are correct that about all I ever get in is f.mk or d.mk>hadouken on occasion I land a crouching fp or mp.srk on jump-ins.

Abel is another story all together, something about how I play him makes him feel really slow and uncapable, I often run into Abel in ranked matches and can not even fathom how these people play him that he feels so fast. I guess I need to work on my rush down play with Abel.

I find Abel versus Guile even. If I could ultra on reaction his sonic boom I dont even think it would help cause his recovery is so quick right? Against a dedicated guile im sure id have problems though. Thing about Guile is pretty much always stay on the ground unless your close enough to cross him up.

Who's up for fights?

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited April 2009

I have a feeling you aren't using FA or backdash enough. Once you are out of range of the block strings you can beat him in a fireball fight with Ken. That and the forward hop kick and a whole lot of patience should win you the game vs. most Guiles. Occasionally FA + throw and then try a crossup or d.mk -> hadouken. I don't know how to play Abel or El Fuerte. Also you can punish the double sweep in between them - seems most people just block both and allow Guile to reset.

The Ken strat more or less works. You have more than enough tools to beat Guile with Ken.

With Abel, I dunno, from what I can tell, Abel has a hard time getting around a good Guile. I can say that the wheel kick is your friend and get really good at using block strings that follow into Abel's rekka ken. Abel is exceptionally good at crossup whether through rolling or his jumping forward kick. Cross up alot. Also remember that command throw > regular throw, so if you know he's goingg for the throw, either be prepared to tech or do a quick EX-command throw.

Finally El Fuerte should have a pretty easy time with Guile. There's not a whole lot Guile can do that's safe against Elf and he can't punish like the other characters when Elf fucks up. Keep moving and abuse EX-run. Keep him guessing on what comes out of the run. Guile only really has a few options if you EX-run. He can Ex-Sonic Boom, which isn't safe since you can splash on reaction. He can Flash Kick since it armor breaks, but that's not safe since most good Elf's will constantly cancel the run in order to get the other player to flinch. He can try to tick or trip, which should involve him getting splashed. Elf is good at making people flinch and fuck up. Also get good at his "infinite", it's very useful for pressure. The trick with Elf, as far as I've seen, even at high level play, is to move to keep moving and be as annoying as possible.

The timing on the double sweep is weird in net play. I can punish 100% of the time in local play, I miss about 75% of the time in net play.

j0hnz3r on
    jedi_watchtower.png
    edited April 2009
    Yea about that infinite..... on a stick I can't do 2 hits reliably. I think I try and do things too fast in general, it took me days to figure out that Abels f.mk>dash>fp needed to be done rather slow but still linked after that. I kept trying to do the fp like as soon as the dash came out and would get mad, I also miss links on ElF release kick special move all the time because I attempt to release too early.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea about that infinite..... on a stick I can't do 2 hits reliably. I think I try and do things too fast in general, it took me days to figure out that Abels f.mk>dash>fp needed to be done rather slow but still linked after that. I kept trying to do the fp like as soon as the dash came out and would get mad, I also miss links on ElF release kick special move all the time because I attempt to release too early.

Can you give me any tips on the forward.mk xx dash, fierce? I get it like 1/10 as it is.

Im using the 360 d-pad D:

edit: what ive been doing is looking at the opponents stun animation and hittin FP just before its over. It works sometimes, but i'd have to memorise each players stun animation? lol Fuck that shit

edit x2: Has anyone done Abel's 5th Hard trial? It's insane. You need 2 very tough forward dash kick to fp links and a FADC in one combo. WOWOWOWOW

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
    edited April 2009
    I find timing the fp when you see Abels shoulders move up to normal after the dash gets me the best results. As for the hard trials I can't do his hard trial 2. A lot of characters I can't do the normal 4 or 5 trials let alone the hard ones.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't fought in 4th street in a while. I'll be on in a couple of hours if anyone needs a sandbag.

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite