As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suikoden Tierkreis - out now

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    alright, took me 60 hours in total, i just finished the game with all 108 characters. I must say im really seriously underwhelmed in the end, the first half basically was very strong and fun, but after that it all went downhill.
    overall id still say its one of the best RPGs on the DS and a musthave...
    warning serious endgame spoilers ahead
    So the magedom really was just about the only really good aspect of the story. very detailed, complex and interesting background and finally, the sudden destruction felt really epic and unexpected. however the rest of the game never delivered on that feeling. after the magedom is gone you would think that would pose a problem but no, victory after victory after victory, the order never poses a serious threat of any kind. cougas fate is pretty much the last interesting plotpoint after that everything falls apart like a house of cards. the following areas are all uninteresting and underdeveloped stereotypical RPG business and the villain stops any sort of development as well. after the destruction of the magedom i thought that this whole chronicle storyline was somewhat interesting and going somewhere but it really doesnt. in the end its full of plotholes, simplistic nonsense that barely makes sense. the one king? a huge disapointment and hardly worthy of all the buildup. just some random babbling guy in armor, whos origin is never explored or explained.
    whats atries purpose in everything? i mean the guy is nice and all but what for did i have to collect all 108 stars just to see him again? the only possible excuse i could think of is that he could be a leading character of a sequel maybe, but thats a bit doubtfull as the credits hint that theres more going on in the north of this world. which brings me to another point, this world? not really worth exploring any more. while you collect stars you get a lot of optional story and mention of other places, but that should be it. what is this world, completely randomly thrown together places from all around this "infinity" with no common ground or history. personally i wouldnt mind if i never saw any of it or any of the characters ever again.
    overall the game was a nice snack and because of its length id say its definately worth the money, but as suikoden game its a huge step backwards, thats for sure, even if they got a lot of aspects right. Im willing to see it as a handheld thing though, the next console main suikoden game better make some sense again.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited March 2009
    a little detail i only figured out now:
    this is soemthing that is completely messed up due to awfull pacing of the story, but a major aspect is supposed to be this method of combining the power of all the stars. its supposed to mean that all 107 stars sacrifice themselves and get wiped from existence and combine their power with the hero. i didnt even get the deal why this was mentioned constantly and they were like "lets better not discuss this" because to me it wasnt clear at all that everyone would die that way.
    if you chose to go this way in the plot, what happens is that everyone combines and the hero turns into *gasp* the one king himself. which would be a nice event, but the game does a real good job at messing this up so until now a few hours after finishing it i only realized what they meant to say.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Jesus Christ, I just started this game yesterday and.... ugh, voice acting like that in this day and age is just unforgivable. And I normally LIKE English voice acting in my games! The last game I played with acting this annoying was Baten Kaitos, and at least that game gave you the option to turn the voices off. -_- .

That, and the 3-d game models are just.... ugh. I really wish game makers would leave the 3-d attempts for the PSP.

Being non-voiced and 2-d would of made starting this game a lot easier to go through. I'm hoping that as I play on, these things will become less frustrating to me. As it stands, I'm having troubles inspiring myself to play...

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    See, I'm like 25 hours in and the voice acting has gotten much more tolerable. This game leaves a very bad first impression, for the first couple of hours, but once you the Magedom and the Blades are introduced, things pick up considerably. At this point I've even gotten used to Mr. fast talking hero. Part of the initial problem is that Jale is the only competent-sounding person at the start, but there are better characters soon enough.

This is a really great game, one that any JRPG fan should be able to appreciate. It reminds me a lot of a Tales game. Backgrounds are pretty and also brings to mind the PSX Final Fantasies. The music is really awesome at times, particularly the violin stuff. I also like how many of the stars are actually significant. Many of them are voice acted, at least briefly, and have a good 15 minute plot associated with them. I have 60 to 70 of them and I can still look at a lot of them and remember why I like them. Of course there are also a lot of crappy throwaways too but even those can be fun.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lovely wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, I just started this game yesterday and.... ugh, voice acting like that in this day and age is just unforgivable. And I normally LIKE English voice acting in my games! The last game I played with acting this annoying was Baten Kaitos, and at least that game gave you the option to turn the voices off. -_- .
    Baten Kaitos wasn't as bad as this game, voice-acting-wise. I mean, yeah, the sound grated, but at least the pace or tempo or whatnot was competent.

But yeah, like UncleSporky said, eventually it does get better.

WotanAnubis on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sixish hours in, I'm getting a little annoyed that every time I think I'm about to have a nice boss fight it turns out the game's just cheating. This is one of the easiest games I've played, and if these fights were more like S3's versions--where the fights were really hard and if you won you got cool stuff--they'd infuse the game with some much-needed challenge.
    (I guess you could try to tie these fights into the overarching theme of predestination, but I'm pretty sure the game's saying "nuh-uh!" to that idea, so.)

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    60 hours? Damn I was hoping to be done with it a lot quicker than that. The game is okay but not 60-hours-okay.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sebbie wrote: »
    60 hours? Damn I was hoping to be done with it a lot quicker than that. The game is okay but not 60-hours-okay.

S/he said sixish hours, not sixtiesh. It's not that long.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sebbie wrote: »

S/he said sixish hours, not sixtiesh. It's not that long.

It's definitely longer than 6 hours... I'm 10 hours in and don't even have 10 stars yet :P

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
    edited April 2009
    I wasn't saying that the game was six hours long. I was saying that it's less than 60.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I should have quoted carmofin to avoid the confusion. S/he said it took him/her 60 hours.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
    edited April 2009
    could have taken me longer, was using a faw for the last ~20 stars and left a lot of quests unfinished.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh! The Coastal Cave was such a pain in the ass. Mazy dungeon, no save points, encounter every 4 steps, all 4 members of your party predetermined (still can't get Liu to do any actual damage but that's a side point), and then you have to backtrack all the way out? Booooo. I'm a Suikoden newb and loved every minute of this game up to that point. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. If so I'll have to put this off for a while til the faqers are done with the maps.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
    edited April 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »
    Ugh! The Coastal Cave was such a pain in the ass. Mazy dungeon, no save points, encounter every 4 steps, all 4 members of your party predetermined (still can't get Liu to do any actual damage but that's a side point), and then you have to backtrack all the way out? Booooo. I'm a Suikoden newb and loved every minute of this game up to that point. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. If so I'll have to put this off for a while til the faqers are done with the maps.

I'm a ways past that and you don't have another dungeon for a while.

Actually I forget, you may have to do some ruins but they are just a one floor maze with like 4 dead ends.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, don't worry, the Coastal Cave is by far the worst dungeon I've seen, and my game appears to be approaching the late-game point.

SwashbucklerXX on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, don't worry, the Coastal Cave is by far the worst dungeon I've seen, and my game appears to be approaching the late-game point.

Revisiting that town mine was a little annoying.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, but at least it's a good place to level your dudes quickly.

SwashbucklerXX on
    edited April 2009

actually, worry. worry indeed ;)

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    edited April 2009
    carmofin wrote: »

There's a worse one? Do you have to slog through it more than once in order to recruit characters?

SwashbucklerXX on
    edited April 2009

There's a worse one? Do you have to slog through it more than once in order to recruit characters?

Actually yes but it's not necessary. You have to go all the way back to the end of the Coastal Cave and meet the pirates, fight a battle, and IIRC you then have to walk back out.

The Coastal Cave also has the most important accessory in the game that you have to make sure you pick up: running shoes that double the hero's movement speed.

UncleSporky on
  • AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where?! Draw me a map.

Also this game's encounter rate needs to have been knocked down a couple hundred notches.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
    edited April 2009

Actually yes but it's not necessary. You have to go all the way back to the end of the Coastal Cave and meet the pirates, fight a battle, and IIRC you then have to walk back out.

The Coastal Cave also has the most important accessory in the game that you have to make sure you pick up: running shoes that double the hero's movement speed.

Yeah, I was referring to the Coastal Cave there... carmofin seemed to be saying that there is a worse dungeon out there. I don't mind a worse dungeon than the Coastal Cave if I don't have to do it twice (and walk back out both times).

SwashbucklerXX on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the info guys. Good to know maybe I'll at least get a break for a while. It really wasn't the layout that bothered me, although as someone else mentioned it might be nice to be able to see a little bit more of your surroundings; it was the encounter rate. Or the character's movement speed (or both). It could be really disorienting to come out of battle, then say "was I going north or south?" Walk forward 2 steps, nope, it was south, *battle* arrgh. I guess one good thing during that is occasionally I had to actually issue commands to heal/prioritize.

I did get the Adept Shoes if that's what you were referring to. But I faqed what else is in there, and found out the only other thing I missed was $30,000. Nah. Not worth it. I haven't had less than $100,000 sitting around the whole game. Probably because I don't know any secret characters to recruit and thus haven't had to equip any more than 5 or 6 guys.

Does the way you use a character affect their development? Or are stats just predetermined by level and then aided by equipment? When looking at the faq I noticed my damage against the Coastal Cave boss was way different than what they were talking about. i.e., my hero was doing a fraction of what they said Masterpiece should do, but my Cougar was doing substantially more. And in general my regular attacks seem to be more effective than most Marks of the Stars, hence my general abuse of the automatic attack command. But if I am "doing it wrong" and the marks are supposed to be more effective, that would be good to know now as opposed to later. My hero has a sword and shield setup.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Coastal Cave is really bad until you realize that the correct path is a straight line.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys. Good to know maybe I'll at least get a break for a while. It really wasn't the layout that bothered me, although as someone else mentioned it might be nice to be able to see a little bit more of your surroundings; it was the encounter rate. Or the character's movement speed (or both). It could be really disorienting to come out of battle, then say "was I going north or south?" Walk forward 2 steps, nope, it was south, *battle* arrgh. I guess one good thing during that is occasionally I had to actually issue commands to heal/prioritize.

I did get the Adept Shoes if that's what you were referring to. But I faqed what else is in there, and found out the only other thing I missed was $30,000. Nah. Not worth it. I haven't had less than $100,000 sitting around the whole game. Probably because I don't know any secret characters to recruit and thus haven't had to equip any more than 5 or 6 guys.

Does the way you use a character affect their development? Or are stats just predetermined by level and then aided by equipment? When looking at the faq I noticed my damage against the Coastal Cave boss was way different than what they were talking about. i.e., my hero was doing a fraction of what they said Masterpiece should do, but my Cougar was doing substantially more. And in general my regular attacks seem to be more effective than most Marks of the Stars, hence my general abuse of the automatic attack command. But if I am "doing it wrong" and the marks are supposed to be more effective, that would be good to know now as opposed to later. My hero has a sword and shield setup.

They're getting awesome damage by using two swords. In fact, most of my sword-wielding characters (Hero, the knights, etc) forego shields in favor of dual-wielding. Unless you have no other choice, there's little good reason to use anything but two swords or spears (obviously some characters can't do so, like the cats and mages...)

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited April 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    The Coastal Cave is really bad until you realize that the correct path is a straight line.
    Unless you're like me (like most people?) and must fully explore it for treasure.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2009
    Well that's just crazy. How badly do you need that equipment that's maybe, if you're lucky, two points higher than you already have, a mega medicine, and 3000 potch?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2009
    You might as well call playing RPGs crazy. Why the hell am I playing this thing, why do I care if I get the 108 stars of destiny? If I do care, then how is that different from caring about having looted every chest in the game?

And in this particular case, this one dungeon, you get the most useful thing in the game. If I didn't explore the cave I would still be running around slowly. And what if there was a character down there to recruit at some dead end?

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2009
    You might as well call playing RPGs crazy. Why the hell am I playing this thing, why do I care if I get the 108 stars of destiny? If I do care, then how is that different from caring about having looted every chest in the game?

Presumably because you are having fun. If you think the Coastal Cave isn't horrible, and that it's worth it, and you're having fun, then you loot that place dry. If, however, the constant empty dead-ends, high encounter rate and (until you get that one item) horrible movement speed is not worth it for you, then go in a straight line.
    And in this particular case, this one dungeon, you get the most useful thing in the game. If I didn't explore the cave I would still be running around slowly. And what if there was a character down there to recruit at some dead end?

Well, yes, but to get that most useful thing in the game?

You go in a straight line

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I attempted the final encounter last night and got a game over on my first try. I only have about 47 stars of destiny right now. Is it possible for me to go back and get all the missing ones, or are there some characters that you can only recruit during a certain time frame? Also, I really wish there was some teleport-to-the-overworld or beginning of dungeon spell like some other RPGS have lol.

At first I was just going to beat the game with who I have right now and just get all 108 party members in a second play through, but I kinda wanna get them all now.

dclee on
    edited April 2009
    dclee wrote: »
    So I attempted the final encounter last night and got a game over on my first try. I only have about 47 stars of destiny right now. Is it possible for me to go back and get all the missing ones, or are there some characters that you can only recruit during a certain time frame? Also, I really wish there was some teleport-to-the-overworld or beginning of dungeon spell like some other RPGS have lol.

At first I was just going to beat the game with who I have right now and just get all 108 party members in a second play through, but I kinda wanna get them all now.
    There are four that are missable, but you can get all the others whenever.

The missable ones:
    Two Magedom mages, the chef, and a porpoise guy that requires the chef

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited April 2009

Actually somehow I missed that the first time through - I'm inclined to think the game keeps you from getting to that screen the first time, possibly with a story scene.

UncleSporky on
    edited April 2009

Actually somehow I missed that the first time through - I'm inclined to think the game keeps you from getting to that screen the first time, possibly with a story scene.
    You can only get there after the lake appears

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You can only get there after the lake appears

Yeah, first time through you can't get it - the water jet thing skips a floor. But once you've beat the boss and finished your business at Naineneis, you can come back and get the item. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with
    the lake

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What are the connections to prior Suikodens, if any?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2009

Nothing. That's why a lot of long-time fans were disappointed.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm still waiting for a real "sequel" to Suikoden 3. I was really disappointed when 4 and 5 took place before it.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2009

I'm pretty sure long time Suikoden fans won't be satisfied until there is Suikoden 2-2, with the exact same plot, characters, music, graphics, and gameplay.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I'm still waiting for a real "sequel" to Suikoden 3. I was really disappointed when 4 and 5 took place before it.

I certainly wouldn't have had any objections to battle-hardened deathmonger Lilly traveling the world crushing nations under her heel.

Frosteey on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

I'm pretty sure long time Suikoden fans won't be satisfied until there is Suikoden 2-2, with the exact same plot, characters, music, graphics, and gameplay.

We already pretty much had that with Suikoden V. What most Suikoden fans really want is probably a game that surpasses Suikoden II, which I doubt Konami has the talent available to do.

Anyway, I'm like two minutes into Tierkreis and I've already got a question. Anyway to turn the voices off completely? I'd like to listen to the background music but can't stand the voice acting. I looked for an options menu but couldn't find one, which seems pretty ridiculous.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid