As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iowa gay marriage ban unconstitutional

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Now I'm getting all misty eyed.

Was that meant to be a pun?

I don't know if pun is the right word.

No, I just legitimately never expected so much forward movement so soon in my lifetime.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Brian888 wrote: »
    I wish we had a few more reactionary conservatives posting on PA. I want to drink their sweet, sweet tears over this decision.
    The SE thread has that silly old Deacon in it. I guess you guys ran him out or something.

I can't wait for Obs's perspective. I am actually on the edge of my seat.
    At the very least you'll get a hilarious quote out of him.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

No, I just legitimately never expected so much forward movement so soon in my lifetime.

This will make so many people hate me, but I don't care since I'm so happy about this news. I hope it spreads.
    1161810096126.jpg

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Gotcha. Me too, it was just, ya know... "MrMister gets misty..."

I'll show myself out.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    This will be great news to wake up to for approximately 46 more mornings.

Fixed that.

So, bets on which state is next, which will be last?

ResIpsaLoquitur on
    League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    I wish we had a few more reactionary conservatives posting on PA. I want to drink their sweet, sweet tears over this decision.
    The SE thread has that silly old Deacon in it. I guess you guys ran him out or something.

I made the mistake of looking in that thread. Eyes...bleeding....

Brian888 on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The ruling, viewed nationally and at home as a victory for the gay rights movement and a setback for social conservatives...

Surely they mean a "setforward"?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Fixed that.

Well, if we're to follow this trend, presumably Iran will become the 51st state.

Quid on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Fixed that.

I can't see some states ever allowing it barring federal action. There are still states that refused to remove segregation from their constitution (I'm looking at you Mississippi). But if sufficient states decide it is fundamental right eventually the federal government will as well. I would be surprised if all of New England doesn't have it by the end of Obama's first term, but I can't see places like Idaho, Utah, Oklahoma or Alabama allowing it this generation unless the federal government makes them.

ed
    Quid wrote: »
    Well, if we're to follow this trend, presumably Iran will become the 51st state.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Vermont just sent a bill to the Governor's desk, but he's an asshole who's going to veto it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Utah.

Pretty reasonable as a contended for "will be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world."

MrMister on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Utah.

Pretty reasonable as a contended for "will be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world."

Their Governor is actually not too awful on this, believe it or not. I don't think he's for marriage equality, but at least is for full legal rights and what not, which is more than I would have expected.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Californians and CA-based gay rights groups should totally pour a ton of money into a Utah marriage equality campaign.

darthmix on
  • Options
    MyLittlePwnyMyLittlePwny Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WooHoo Iowa!

PS, I'm new. Hi.

MyLittlePwny on
    :winky:
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Utah.

Utah will go before Oklahoma, Kansas or the coastal south (barring Florida). Utah is ass-backwards, but it's got nothing on some of these states.

And I say this as someone who grew up in Kansas and Oklahoma.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Utah.

It really boggles my mind that I didn't realize an entire state of the union was a de facto Mormon theocracy until college. I really feel like high school should have covered that at some point.

Hachface on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    darthmix wrote: »
    Californians and CA-based gay rights groups should totally pour a ton of money into a Utah marriage equality campaign.

I think we have to worry about our own state first.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just finished reading the decision and it is indeed very well written, so much so that should anyone ever argue against gay marriage all we need do is link them the Iowa supreme court decision.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/D213209243.PDF

It starts out a little dry, but if you start around page 50 where the judges assess the validity of the states arguments in support of the same sex marriage ban there are some juicy tidbits. They accused the state of using circular logic:
    When a certain tradition is used as both the governmental objective and the classification to further that objective, the equal protection analysis is transformed into the circular question of whether the classification accomplishes the governmental objective, which objective is to maintain the classification.

They pretty soundly demolished all the states arguments for maintaining a same sex marriage ban, but I think that one was the most fun.

Dman on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All we need now is a mass extinction event in the federal court system and the gay agenda will be near fruition.

Hachface on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bama wrote: »
    Well, there is at least the guy in this article who's main objection seems to be that "animals don't do that."

Also from that article, completely missing the point of the judiciary:
    Maggie Gallagher, president of the National Organization for Marriage, a New Jersey group, said “once again, the most undemocratic branch of government is being used to advance an agenda the majority of Americans reject.”

cherv1 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Well, there is at least the guy in this article who's main objection seems to be that "animals don't do that."

Maggie Gallagher, president of the National Organization for Marriage, a New Jersey group, said “once again, the most undemocratic branch of government is being used to advance an agenda the majority of Americans reject.”

The judiciary is always undemocratic when they make decisions you don't agree with. Damn those fuckers.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Utah.

It really boggles my mind that I didn't realize an entire state of the union was a de facto Mormon theocracy until college. I really feel like high school should have covered that at some point.

It's weird. Salt Lake City itself is becoming increasingly liberal, but it's surrounded by a blood red tide of Mormon.

I'm probably going to law school at University of Idaho (yikes, Idaho), and I know there are going to be some hard core Mormons attending. I really hope I don't make them cry. Having said that, go Gay Marriage!!! At least I'll be in a college town, with a hopefully more progressive environment, so maybe it won't be too bad. Maybe I'll be able to get my district to at least put up a decent candidate for office.
    cherv1 wrote: »

The Economist had a good article on Judicial Independence (linky). In regards to Maggie Gallagher, fuck you. An activist judge is a judge you simply don't agree with.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SlignotSlignot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thrack wrote: »
    In related news
    Gay-marriage bill in Vermont poised for veto
    BOSTON (Reuters) - The Vermont House of Representatives passed a bill late on Thursday that would legalize gay marriage, but supporters failed to get enough votes to override a veto threat from the governor.

Lawmakers in the Democratic-led House voted 95-52 in support of the measure, which had already passed the state Senate by a 26-4 vote. Advocates were five votes short of the two-thirds majority needed to override a veto.

Vermont may still get gay marriage soon but it looks like it might not be this year.
    My wife read an article yesterday that said some of the lawmakers that voted against the bill would actually vote in favor of overriding the veto. They voted against the bill because it was the will of the constituants in their districts but they also feel the majority of the state has spoken and don't think the governor should go against the will of the people.
    I'll see if I can dig up the article.
    Here's the link where Vermont legislators that voted against the bill have stated they will vote to override the veto.

As for the Iowa decision, I was astounded, shocked and elated. But of course, still somewhat depressed with the knowledge that living in Salt Lake I will be in the state's political minority for the remainder of my life. I only hope a federal shift comes before too long.

Slignot on
    5535a6a4.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Slignot wrote: »
    In related news
    BOSTON (Reuters) - The Vermont House of Representatives passed a bill late on Thursday that would legalize gay marriage, but supporters failed to get enough votes to override a veto threat from the governor.

Lawmakers in the Democratic-led House voted 95-52 in support of the measure, which had already passed the state Senate by a 26-4 vote. Advocates were five votes short of the two-thirds majority needed to override a veto.

Vermont may still get gay marriage soon but it looks like it might not be this year.
    My wife read an article yesterday that said some of the lawmakers that voted against the bill would actually vote in favor of overriding the veto. They voted against the bill because it was the will of the constituants in their districts but they also feel the majority of the state has spoken and don't think the governor should go against the will of the people.
    Here's the link where Vermont legislators that voted against the bill have stated they will vote to override the veto.

As for the Iowa decision, I was astounded, shocked and elated. But of course, still somewhat depressed with the knowledge that living in Salt Lake I will be in the state's political minority for the remainder of my life. I only hope a federal shift comes before too long.

Wait, what? They voted against it, it got vetoed, so now they want to vote FOR it?

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    In related news

Wait, what? They voted against it, it got vetoed, so now they want to vote FOR it?

It's called statesmanship and responsibility to one's constituents. Those who only follow federal politics may be unfamiliar with the concepts...

Nerissa on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In related news

It's more of a "fuck the veto" thing

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In related news

Yup. Semi-standard ass-covering. Vote against it, knowing that it will pass and be subject to a veto, because you need to pander to your constituents. Vote for it when your vote is needed.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honestly, I was having a little trouble parsing the logic of that myself. To vote for the measure but against the veto it seems like what you must be objecting to is the fact that the governor has veto power at all; like they have a problem with that aspect of the process, or something. And that's assuming they have a principled position and are not just playing politics, which it sounds like they are.

But, hey, I'll take it.

darthmix on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Hopefully this has an area of effect and it influences Nebraska to overturn their ban. I remember everyone here being ashamed that we did that..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here's an interesting question:
    If the state retains its traditional position as the first stop on the road to the White House, the legalization of gay marriage will almost certainly play a role in the Iowa caucuses.

Why? Critics of the Supreme Court’s decision are pushing for a constitutional amendment to be placed on the Iowa ballot, which would turn the issue over to the judgment of Iowa voters. But the earliest this would likely happen is November 2012, which is the date of the general election in the next presidential race.

The 2008 presidential campaign unfolded largely without much attention being paid to the social issues that have often caused internal and external divides among Republicans and Democrats. But is the Iowa court ruling going to push the next crop of Republican presidential candidates to the right, forcing them to run on social issues?

2012 looks to be another interesting year, even setting aside the apocalypse.:P

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well, in 2012 - unlike 2008 - we'll only be having a Republican primary process, and it's hard for me to imagine that any of the major GOP candidates won't be firmly against gay marriage. So even if Iowans are voting on an amendment, without any real debate among the GOP candidates I have a hard time seeing how the issue catches any more fire in the caucus than it normally would. I mean, I realize they'll all grandstand, but I suspect voters are kind of jaded to that, especially if they sense there's no real difference among them.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Three years of gay marriage without the skies raining blood is all this decision needs.

Hachface on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Three years of gay marriage without the skies raining blood is all this decision needs.

If only more people thought logically like that. Today, my girlfriend's dad called her to ask her how we're doing down here now that Obama "has started doing his stuff." And that to not blame him, cause he didn't vote for him.

Mind you, this is a relatively un-wealthy backwoods Pennsylvania man who will much more greatly benefit under Obama than he would ever have under McCain.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh wait I forgot about the Great Iowan Bloodstorm season. Shit this might not work out after all.

Hachface on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Should have told him that so far, more states allowed gay marriage under Bush than under Obama..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think he was even talking about the gay marriage thing. I think he just wanted to act smug about voting for McCain, instead of that asshole Obama who is going to give him tax cuts and healthcare. That asshole.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh wait I forgot about the Great Iowan Bloodstorm season. Shit this might not work out after all.

Quick is this an El Nino or La Nina year?
    darthmix wrote: »
    Honestly, I was having a little trouble parsing the logic of that myself. To vote for the measure but against the veto it seems like what you must be objecting to is the fact that the governor has veto power at all; like they have a problem with that aspect of the process, or something. And that's assuming they have a principled position and are not just playing politics, which it sounds like they are.

But, hey, I'll take it.

Well it could also be the idea that you should only use the veto for egregiously wrong things and not for things that legitimately have the support of the majority. Its similar to voting for cloture but against the measure.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I hope Florida follows suit. It will be lovely watching the northern half of this state explode, leaving the civilized south to finally be free of the crazy.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Utah.

Their Governor is actually not too awful on this, believe it or not. I don't think he's for marriage equality, but at least is for full legal rights and what not, which is more than I would have expected.

So is the Mormon Church. Or so they claimed. So some people called their bluff and asked for their support for some propositions. And then they went no comment.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In related news

Yup. Semi-standard ass-covering. Vote against it, knowing that it will pass and be subject to a veto, because you need to pander to your constituents. Vote for it when your vote is needed.

Not really. We have a very... different group of politicians here than I see in a lot of states. The Republican reps in Vermont often vote Dem, and the Dems vote Pub. They vote the way their constituents expect them to vote. It is one of very few reasons that I really enjoy living here.
    Vermont just sent a bill to the Governor's desk, but he's an asshole who's going to veto it.

It's weird, because Douglas is not exactly a conservative... I half expected his signature on it as things started looking serious. When he said he would veto, I was pretty shocked.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter