As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help identifying a rodent

YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
This morning, I woke up to a scratching sound in my wall. I finally identified the hole and a rodent now creeping out of it. After a nearly hour long stand off with the bastard, I managed to catch him.

Now it doesn't appear to be a mouse or a rat as it doesn't have a tail. And it definitely seems to big to be a mouse.

It's black, with extra long white hair on it's butt. Currently it's eat lettuce in it's makeshift jail. Basically, my girlfriend is worried that it's someone's pet and doesn't want me to free it into the wild. I'm having trouble getting a decent picture of it, but I'll post it if I do.

YodaTuna on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A picture would help immensely. Sounds like a lemming, but I doubt that.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm willing to bet its a vole since Minnesota has a bunch of different ones.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Most voles have pretty substantial tails though. Probably something more along the lines of a hamster.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    I'm willing to bet its a vole since Minnesota has a bunch of different ones.

Most of the pictures for voles I could find showed tails. No tail on this guy at all.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Chimpmunk maybe? Horribly-disfigured previously-tailed rodent?

Or, as I so often would proclaim when taking pictures of creatures in The Amazon Trail, "It's a new species!"

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guinea pigs are tailless.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guinea pigs do have that tail hair that he's mentioning too. Maybe it's a baby still.

bowen on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My guess is it's a hamster. They have tails, but they're short and stubby.

But we need a picture.

Did it bite you when you caught him? If not, it is almost certainly a pet. Wild unsocialized rodents WILL bite you if you try to pick them up. (So will pets, if they're scared enough.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It probably isn't a wild animal simply because it's springtime, and typically rodents invade houses in the fall/winter.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    My guess is it's a hamster. They have tails, but they're short and stubby.

But we need a picture.

Did it bite you when you caught him? If not, it is almost certainly a pet. Wild unsocialized rodents WILL bite you if you try to pick them up. (So will pets, if they're scared enough.)

I didn't try to pick it up, I just dropped a box on it, in case it is wild.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That's definitely a hamster.

bowen on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks pretty well-fed. Is it a hamster?

edit: Well, two votes for a hamster so far.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Looks like a hamster to me. I don't even know if animals that cute can survive in the wild.

You're obligated to adopt it and treat it well until it dies and then you can bury it in a shoebox.

edit.. holy shit just looked at the second picture, that is some fucking crazy fur on that thing. It might be an alien hamster in which case you should not adopt it but instead alert the federal government. Or don a suit of armor and fight it in an arena.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I see a stubby tail on the 2nd pic, my vote is a young hamster. Looks like you got a new pet.

Arikado on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Adorable!

Get a cage and wheel.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Damnit, my girlfriend is going to want to keep it.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    FightTest wrote: »
    Looks like a hamster to me. I don't even know if animals that cute can survive in the wild.

You're obligated to adopt it and treat it well until it dies and then you can bury it in a shoebox.

edit.. holy shit just looked at the second picture, that is some fucking crazy fur on that thing. It might be an alien hamster in which case you should not adopt it but instead alert the federal government. Or don a suit of armor and fight it in an arena.

Baby hamsters have that fur on their ass. Judging by the pointness of the tail, I'd wager not very old either.

There's probably a colony of hamsters in the walls though.:!:

bowen on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Do you live in a house or a flat?

Platy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, the new issue now is how the hell that little thing got there. You have to address the possibility of there being a bunch more of those in your walls AND that there is a flaw in the foundation or a corner of the house that they took refuge in.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I live in an apartment. I'm going to hit up my neighbor and see if it came from their apartment. It looks like there is a pretty clear path between walls where the heater is connected.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »

They're really fun pets. Low odor, intellegent, and social if handeld carefully.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Young hamsters like that can escape pretty easily. They can squeeze through tiny openings, especially between bars.

If you can't find the owner and want to keep it as a pet, you should take it to the vet to get it checked for mites and stuff like that.

Platy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »

They're really fun pets. Low odor, intellegent, and social if handeld carefully.

I've been staunch anti-pet for awhile. In normal circumstances, I would let this slide and keep it. Unfortunately I'm unemployed and can't really afford hamster equipment and a vet visit.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I've been staunch anti-pet for awhile. In normal circumstances, I would let this slide and keep it. Unfortunately I'm unemployed and can't really afford hamster equipment and a vet visit.

If your girlfriend wants to keep it then she should have to pay for all that stuff.

He is a cute little guy, though. <3

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited April 2009
    He looks friendly too, it's a shame if it's not your neighbors and you can't keep a friendly hamster.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hamsters are comparatively cheap pets. And since they live only two years, it also isn't difficult to get a second-hand cage. You don't have to buy fancy stuff, a flowerpot or some kind of box makes a great hideout for a hamster. What you're going to need is a running wheel, preferably one that's big enough.

Platy on
  • Options
    ChalkbotChalkbot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think you might have caught a Pokemon there. They prefer to be crammed inside of a plastic ball, so it's not that expensive to keep it, plus it could come in handy if you ever get mugged or anything. Think of the money it might save you.

Seriously though, I bet you could get all the stuff you need for a hamster from one of your neighbors for really cheap. Ask around.

Chalkbot on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I don't even recommend using a cage or storebought hamster habitat.

The best hamster habitat I've ever had was a tupperware storage bin from Target.

I drilled some holes in the top for air and screw holes on the side to mount a water bottle. The benefit of this? Easy to clean, and if it's sufficiently tall, it's impossible for the hamster to escape. It's kind of hard for Houdini to climb a slick plastic wall. The locking lid allows you to take the hamster in the car easily if visiting family or whatnot.

I don't use those colored plastic tubes, either. I just use old paper towel rolls.

Feral on

• Options
    edited April 2009

The best hamster habitat I've ever had was a tupperware storage bin from Target.

This is exactly what he's in now. I tried to put a tray of water. It didn't like that. Flipped the tray over, got wet and now it's freaking out. So much for trying to be helpful.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Aquariums make the best hamster cages.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

This is exactly what he's in now. I tried to put a tray of water. It didn't like that. Flipped the tray over, got wet and now it's freaking out. So much for trying to be helpful.

Oh god. You got him wet? Next thing you'l lbe tellign us you fed him after midnight.

You'd have to weight it don, or get a hanging water bottle. Might just drink from a sportsbottle if you held it for awile.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ahahaha look at his butt hair. I wish I had butt hair like that. I'd be strokin' it all day.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Put up a sign in your lobby saying

"I've found a hamster, is it yours? If 'no', do you have any hamster apparatus you'd be willing to part with?"

Either you find the owner, or you get free hamster gear.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Yeah, small dishes are too light generally speaking, and they'll flip poop and stuff in it by accident when they try to burrow.

Feral on

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you post on Craigslist or Freecycle I'll bet you could get hamster equipment for free or super cheap.

LadyM on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Good news, everybody!

Turns out it was my neighbor's hamster from two apartments down. The little girl had been searching for it all day!

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well that works out for everyone!

SteevL on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You're a better man than I because I would've just thrown the thing into the fucking street.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You're a better man than I because I would've just thrown the thing into the fucking street.

I've had bowel movements that were better men than you.

admanb on