As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quoth the [Crow], "I'm Fucking Awesome."

• ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    bwanie wrote: »
    What you see there, is the baboon getting a good grip on the kittens' paws.

Before ripping it in half.

According to the caption, that baboon spent several hours trying to get the cat to sit up like a good little baboon.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

According to the caption, that baboon spent several hours trying to get the cat to sit up like a good little baboon.

Before killing it in cold blood.

I find it interesting that the more an animal resembles a person, the more we find their violent behavior abhorrent. Like, crows steal eggs, eat their own dead, bite polar bears on the ass, and kill other birds for no apparently good reason, but that just makes them awesome. When chimpanzees do it, they're crazy violent little fuckers.

BloodySloth on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Before killing it in cold blood.

I find it interesting that the more an animal resembles a person, the more we find their violent behavior abhorrent. Like, crows steal eggs, eat their own dead, bite polar bears on the ass, and kill other birds for no apparently good reason, but that just makes them awesome. When chimpanzees do it, they're crazy violent little fuckers.

It's because we expect that sort of thing out of the lesser Families. But primates? We expected better than that.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Baboons are vicious mofuggas. They are also freakin huge, which makes them that much more scary.

Mortal Sky on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Slightly off topic, but I saw a bear stop traffic while her cubs crossed the road once. It was pretty cool.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I saw a bear stop traffic while her cubs crossed the road once. It was pretty cool.

Man would you piss off a safety bear?

Last time someone tried that Smokey ate his face.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Baboons are vicious mofuggas. They are also freakin huge, which makes them that much more scary.

Yeah. Baboons are scary fuckers because they could take down a human. I wouldn't be too afraid of a pissed off crow.

PolloDiablo on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah. Baboons are scary fuckers because they could take down a human. I wouldn't be too afraid of a pissed off crow.

Have fun being blinded by a crow.

Drake on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Drake wrote: »

Have fun being blinded by a crow.

Blinding iss only the beginning. You'll also have your identity stolen and spend years trying to work out the damage done to your credit and finances by a single crow.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    First time I find out crows were smart was years ago on an Attenbough documentary, probably the same one as the dropping nuts in the road video Rook posted.

Anyway, the crows would eat out of bins, but some bins have those lids with little holes in so the crow couldn't reach the food and didn't want to get trapped inside. So they'd grab the bin liner with their beak and pull it up, then hold it under their foot. They'd repeat this over and over, slowly pulling the bin bag up toward the surface so they could easily pick off the food.

Unfortunatly I can't find a clip on youtube, but I think it's pretty well known.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some of these examples seem to be crows learning through observing.

If they can transfer a situation in the way that second video in the op showed, I see no reason why they can't watch another crow eat a cane toad and die from the back then know that's a bad idea.

I also feel there is a similar thing happening in that david attenborough clip, where it waited for the humans to cross first.

It was specifically reacting to events in a manner that showed expectation: patience while it waited for the nut to crack, moving when the nut cracked down to the road to wait for the light, then moving when the humans moved.

The fact that some crows can do it and some cant could be taken as weak evidence this is a learned ability, although it is possible that a crow accidentally dropped it on the crossing. But it's the...methodical nature of the sequence that got me. Most animals will check repeatedly, show other abstract filler behaviors. The crows basically just waited and moved at the right time.

It's still an extremely limited processing ability but damn if it isn't fascinating.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I used a stick to get something stuck behind a dresser

totally thought of that awesome crow

Medopine on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    I used a stick to get something stuck behind a dresser

totally thought of that awesome crow

Should have trained a crow to get it out for you.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was driving somewhere last week, and on the side of the road I saw a raven literally the size of a large housecat. It was covered with what I can only assume were battle scars and it looked at my car like it could take it.

An-D on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    somewhat related, but I use to have this site bookmarked that had like a hundred high res pictures of crows. I have lost it and was wondering if any of you guys knew what it was.

wakkawa on
  • AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    An-D wrote: »
    I was driving somewhere last week, and on the side of the road I saw a raven literally the size of a large housecat. It was covered with what I can only assume were battle scars and it looked at my car like it could take it.

It could.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    An-D wrote: »

It could.

It wasn't looking like it could take your car, it was DECIDING.

You were spared.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    They can't be crows. Clearly they're Tengu.

Everything is their delusion.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited April 2009
    That video is unreal. I can only imagine myself trying to pet a raven and getting my eyes plucked out.

BloodySloth on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'd imagine even a pet raven wouldn't really let you play with it. I wonder how the guy got the raven to be so calm?

Maybe the raven used to be somebody's pet.

Duffel on
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd imagine even a pet raven wouldn't really let you play with it. I wonder how the guy got the raven to be so calm?

Honestly, the most likely explanation is rabbies or something similar.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited April 2009
    ...Do birds get rabies? I think that might be a lie.

BloodySloth on
    edited April 2009

I don't know. But I assume that they can at least get some kind of affliction that removes their fear of people, leading to this kind of behaviour.

HamHamJ on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If they can transfer a situation in the way that second video in the op showed, I see no reason why they can't watch another crow eat a cane toad and die from the back then know that's a bad idea.

It's more than that though. Studies have been done where they release a single crow into a crowd of people, only one of whom will feed it. They then put that crow with other crows in a different area. After they release all of the crows into the crowd of people, they all flock to the person who fed the first crow. Unfortunately I don't have a cite because this was just something my TA told us in my linguistics class.

Cervetus on
    edited April 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

It's more than that though. Studies have been done where they release a single crow into a crowd of people, only one of whom will feed it. They then put that crow with other crows in a different area. After they release all of the crows into the crowd of people, they all flock to the person who fed the first crow. Unfortunately I don't have a cite because this was just something my TA told us in my linguistics class.

D:

Someone needs to find this right now because otherwise I won't believe it.

HamHamJ on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    From the comments on the Joshua Klein crow thing:
    After hearing the vending machine idea, I began to vizualize gangs of crows mugging people and stealing change from their purses to go get their peanut fix.

I was thinking that the whole time. Fucking crows are gonna steal my goddamn car for peanut money.

Alecthar on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I still remember 2 incidents where I distinctly saw crows knowing how badass they are.

First time was at school, where we have crows and other birds hanging around (even freakin' seagulls). My friends and I were sitting outside for lunch when we saw this one crow just strutting around, glaring at other birds as it made its path around the asphalt grounds. It even looked at us like some pretentious jock, then kept on walking. Apparently we weren't worth its time. The crow could also only be described as majestic, its featehrs actually shining and it was huuuuuuge. I so could have imagined it being at the very least an Earl amongst its peers.

Second time was when I was walking past a house that was having construction work done on it. The sight I witnessed was just so amusing. Walking along the scaffolding and pipes, plus hopping up and down the stairs (which could be seen from the outside due to a large gaping hole in the front wall) were a full murder of crows just hanging out with each other. It was like watching a group of friends exploring an old abandonned building.

I just find it chuckle-worthy that in both these cases these crows never flew, even when it was easier to just fly up to the rooftop of that one house they preferred to climb the railings and pieces of construction work. It was as if they were too good for it. It's like the crows in Australia are just uppity, lazy assholes.

Gatsby on
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crows are awesome, and so is this thread.

Sadly, I have no crow stories. I did once see some birds - pretty sure they were swallows - flying outside my window. There were three of them, and one of them had a goosefeather. The one with the feather would fly up and drop it, and the other two would race to catch it. The winner would repeat the game. It's by far the most sophisticated animal play behavior I've ever seen (or heard of).

Screw mammals. Birds are the true geniuses.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • AnexionAnexion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Really I knew nothing about crows before these threads but I am now a definite fan.
    I realize this isn't a crow but I can imagine a crow doing it easily. In fact the seagull probably stole the idea from one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VILrWeO5QYs

Anexion on
    edited April 2009
    I would totally hang out with that seagull.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I don't know. But I assume that they can at least get some kind of affliction that removes their fear of people, leading to this kind of behaviour.

Rabies can affect any warm-blooded animal and bird can get infected, however the only known instances of a bird being infected with rabies has occurred experimentally and hasn't been observed in the wild.

Premier kakos on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Me and Seagull are good friends, I can get you his number if you want.

But seriously, those crow videos were amazing. I knew they were smart, but I didn't know that they were THAT smart.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Sentry wrote: »

Me and Seagull are good friends, I can get you his number if you want.

Just see if he maybe wants to hang out sometime. Don't make me sound desperate.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was eating lunch in my car at work once. This place I worked at, they gave out free popcorn in little bags. So the parking was always littered with empty and half-full popcorn bags which the birds would feast on. There was a bag with a bunch of birds clustered around it, eating and singing away.

Then a crow as big as a cat just glides on in, scattering the birds everywhich way. He samples some of the popcorn on the ground, the grabs the bottom of the bag and takes off. All the popcorn promptly fell out of the bag onto the ground again, and the crow looked ready to murder someone.

I rolled up my window.

Joeslop on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »

If you look up pet raven vids plenty of people can play with them. And that youtube vid I posted about the wild raven is the first in a series of videos. The bird ends up trying to ransack the guys backpack for food, and then follows him everywhere. Apparently the thing is just hungry.

jungleroomx on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Joeslop wrote: »
    I was eating lunch in my car at work once. This place I worked at, they gave out free popcorn in little bags. So the parking was always littered with empty and half-full popcorn bags which the birds would feast on. There was a bag with a bunch of birds clustered around it, eating and singing away.

Then a crow as big as a cat just glides on in, scattering the birds everywhich way. He samples some of the popcorn on the ground, the grabs the bottom of the bag and takes off. All the popcorn promptly fell out of the bag onto the ground again, and the crow looked ready to murder someone.

I rolled up my window.

This reminds me of a tale from my childhood. On a lark my parents took the family to Disney World. It was pretty sweet (the ride hosted by Bill Nye & Elen DeGeneres had just opened) but the only thing I really remember from the trip was the moment a seagull swooped down and stole an entire tuna fish sandwich out of my dad's hand. He was left holding only the bit between his fingers. Pretty damn impressive, if you ask me.

Curly_Brace on
  • An-DAn-D Enthusiast AshevilleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was out with girlfriend feeding ducks today, and the place we normally go had a family there doing the same thing. This little girl, probably two or three, was walking around, talking to her self and throwing bread on the ground - not even trying to get to the ducks.

Two crows came around, and watched her for a bit and than decided they wanted the bread that nothing was eating. One lands on the ground and opens its wings, making a loud caw-caw-caw sound. Girl cries and runs away. Other crow lands and both of them grab the bread she had been dropping.

It was like frickin' Alfred Hitchcock, man. D:
    But also: :D:^:

An-D on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I've had crows on my brain. I was trying to work out how to make crows in to a player race for Dungeons and Dragons. Does that make me a super nerd?

Premier kakos on
    edited April 2009
    Yes.

BloodySloth on