As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Tournament - UNC is victorious!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gah!!

scary Guitar Hero commercial.

and c'mong Nova. You're breaking my heart taking those shots...

lonelyahava on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm an ACC girl normally.. but after that beating that the Heels just gave my Wildcats....

screw that.

Go Green!

lonelyahava on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gah!!

scary Guitar Hero commercial.

Funniest shit ever. See Pitino on the drums?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peeTvaQ9fqE

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dear Big East,

HAHAHA! SUCK MY BALLS!

Love,
    Michigan St.

P.S. Go on, suck 'em.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Both games were pretty boring for outsiders imo.

Duki on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What, really? The Michigan State game was pretty exciting, I thought.

I mean, I'm not Spartan fan or a Huskies fan, but the back and forth in the game was pretty good. Izzo is a fucking awesome coach.

UNC/Nova, I started watching, fast forwarded ahead a bit to check the tempo of the game, then fast forwarded to the end once I saw that Nova wasn't going to break UNC's double digit lead.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What, really? The Michigan State game was pretty exciting, I thought.

I mean, I'm not Spartan fan or a Huskies fan, but the back and forth in the game was pretty good. Izzo is a fucking awesome coach.

UNC/Nova, I started watching, fast forwarded ahead a bit to check the tempo of the game, then fast forwarded to the end once I saw that Nova wasn't going to break UNC's double digit lead.

Yeah, Michigan game was lot better, but it just descended into a Michigan lead uninterrupted by the end.

Duki on
    edited April 2009
    So, in my other brackets, I'm ahead of the next contender by 63 points. He has North Carolina winning the championship.

So, if UNC wins, I will lose by one fucking point.

The fucker missed two of the Final Four picks (Louisville and Duke) and had UConn playing UNC for the championship.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    after watching the game and storming franklin street I have this to say

U

N

C

U

N

C

GO HEELS GO

Casual Eddy on
  • EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    believe

Emonk on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Emonk wrote: »
    believe

I feel so sick rooting for you guys, but I've discovered I hate sports pundits more than I hate MSU basketball. At least I can respect Izzo.

Also, Michigan beats State in Crisler next year.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    believe

I feel so sick rooting for you guys, but I've discovered I hate sports pundits more than I hate MSU basketball. At least I can respect Izzo.

Izzo and MSU basketball get my respect

MSU football is a different story

unless they're playing Notre Dame

Medopine on
    edited April 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    believe

Izzo and MSU basketball get my respect

MSU football is a different story

unless they're playing Notre Dame

Or OSU.

State hockey I truly loathe.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    I gotta say, I'm gonna go for MSU.

Oh, how my heart is breaking for my betrayal of my ACC fandom roots.

Ahwell. I'm over it now.

lonelyahava on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congrats to visiblehowl, apologies to Gosling and oh yeah

WE'RE BACK IN THE FINAL! WOO HOO!!!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sooo

what is the general feel of this game

I confess I know nothing about michigan

Casual Eddy on
    edited April 2009
    sooo

what is the general feel of this game

I confess I know nothing about michigan

UNC crushed MSU in the same building earlier this year. Goran Suton is probably not worth 35 points, UNC should cruise. But MSU has gotten hot. They're a typical Spartan team, a couple athletic guards and then a lot of big bodies up front. They're really physical, excellent defensively, rebound very well, and have a good but not great offense.

enlightenedbum on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If Michigan State can hold UNC to the poor shooting percentage on the inside that Villanova did in the second half of Saturday's game, while at the same time not get totally burned by UNC's outside shooting like Nova was all game long, then MSU has a good shot to win.

If MSU can only provide an either/or defense, or the really good version of UNC's defense shows up I would expect a Carolina win. Barring, of course, a complete and total player meltdown and an inability for Roy to coach ala UNC/Kansas last year. Those turnovers in the first couple minutes of the Nova game had me sweating.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited April 2009
    UNC is massively more talented than Mich St.

But then so was UConn. And Louisville.

Izzo is a much better in-game coach than Roy Williams. Honestly, I think this could go either way, to the extent that if I was a bettin' man, I'd probably take Michigan St. and whatever points they're giving them.

Suton and Green were both not playing in that last game, and honestly after an entire season of basketball, in which Michigan State has had a chance to grow together as a team (I think UNC has passed the threshold of diminishing returns on team coherence given that it's almost the same team as last year), I don't really think this game is comparable to the last one.

Obviously, anything could happen, and I think if both teams play their "best", then UNC will come out ahead. However, Izzo and the Spartans have done a great job of keeping their opponents from playing their best so far, so...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
    edited April 2009
    If I have to make a prediction: Lawson dominates, UNC wins.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    A lot of people were saying the same thing about Thabeet too.

I mean, it could still happen, just saying is all.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was at the first MSU/UNC matchup in December. It was awful. I'm a big Spartan fan (triple alumnus, w00t!) but I still left halfway through the second half.

Aside from Suton/Green being MIA during that game, Raymar Morgan was also coming down with pneumonia and mononucleosis. MSU was also just coming off a tournament weekend in which they played 3 games in 4 days. They just didn't have the legs to run at that point in the season on that kind of rest.

I will be surprised if this isn't a close game. My green blood necessitates me hoping for a Spartan victory, but I really think it depends on Goran Suton showing up to play, Allen hitting some threes, and a breakout game by Morgan or another Spartan to get it done.

zenpotato on
    edited April 2009
    I'm really nervous. I have butterflies in my stomach. I turned on Sportscenter this morning, saw all the talking heads choose UNC, and turned the TV off.

I hate sports for making me feel like this. I want MSU to win so bad, but I'm scared.

9 PM is going to take forever to get here.

I'm going to spend the next thirty minutes reading the recaps of UNC's losses this year, to give me some hope.

Also 2005 broke my heart. I don't know if I'm ready for that again.

Emonk on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All the talking heads said Connecticut too.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm really nervous. I have butterflies in my stomach. I turned on Sportscenter this morning, saw all the talking heads choose UNC, and turned the TV off.

I hate sports for making me feel like this. I want MSU to win so bad, but I'm scared.

9 PM is going to take forever to get here.

I'm going to spend the next thirty minutes reading the recaps of UNC's losses this year, to give me some hope.

Also 2005 broke my heart. I don't know if I'm ready for that again.

This feeling right here, just as much as, if not more than, the resulting Joy of winning The Big Game is why I love sports so much. This was me in 2005, and hell, even the emotion from the loss was 'enjoyable' in a way.

Go Big Ten! Go MSU! Revenge on UNC please...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Gosling wrote: »
    All the talking heads said Connecticut too.

Ah, ESPN.

espn_celtics_lakers_predictions_2008.JPG

The whole leadup to this game feels similar to 1999, back when UConn was a plucky band of upstarts going up against a de facto NBA team in Duke. UConn was far from the NBA factory it is today, with only Rip Hamilton and Jake Voskuhl having long NBA careers off that roster, while Duke was loaded to the gills with 1st round draft picks and had blown right through the tournament to that point.

BubbaT on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ahahahaha, that's a great graphic Bubba. :^:

iTunesIsEvil on
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think it comes down to whether or not State's freshmen can step up. Lucas has played well all year, Morgan, Suton and Walton are all good, if a bit streaky, but what it comes down to is whether or not the young players like Roe, Lucious, and Green can step up.

Also, Ibok hasn't ever had a breakout game. This is probably his last game, ever. I want to see the big guy dominate.

Squirrelmob on
    edited April 2009
    Oh god.

OH GOD.

Emonk on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    UNC is fucking invincible.

Guess Obama was right, eh.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • GafferoGaffero Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As a UConn student, I'm glad that MSU is on the receiving end of the UNC shellacking; I'm not sure I would keep watching at this point if it were the Huskies playing.

Gaffero on
    edited April 2009
    As a lifelong Lions fan, I'm fairly inoculated against this kind of travesty.

Time to fall back on that old standby...

There's always next year.

Emonk on
  • histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, I can't stand UNC. Why is this happening?

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This is...

awful

Squirrelmob on
    edited April 2009
    I was hoping it'd at least be a game.

histronic on
    edited April 2009
    MSU is giving up turn overs like they went out of style and acting like the ball is hot on rebounds.

histronic on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MSU is trying to lose. If they won then lansing would burn to the ground (cause that's how we roll in MI) and our state doesn't have the money to rebuild it.

Burtletoy on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    GO GATORS!
    If Tebow played basketball the gators would be working on a 4th straight basketball championship.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • TopweaselTopweasel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well they stopped the bleeding. They have frozen between 18 and 21 down but still. No sign a comeback is even a possibility.

Topweasel on
    edited April 2009
    I think MSU has a good shot next year. We're not losing too many seniors, Izzo is gonna have a good recruiting class as always, and the guys coming back have a year to reflect on the bitter taste of defeat.

It's in Indy as well. According to Google Maps that's a four hour drive from East Lansing.

If the Tigers hadn't gotten killed today I'd probably be looking forward to baseball season right now.

Meh.

Emonk on