As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come on down to crazy Michele Bachmanns crazy house of crazy!

David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me.Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
Michele Bachmann (R-Minn).

usrepmichelebachmann.jpg

You may remember her for the Light Bulb Freedom of Choice act, to protect America from fluorescent lightbulbs, for telling GOP chair Michael Steele that he "be da man" or from telling Chris Matthews that the press should investigate Congress Democrats to find out which of them were anti-America, a statement too crazy for both Pat Buchanan and Sarah Palin, before going on Hannity & Colmes two weeks after Election Night and claiming that her statement live on Hardball, caught on tape, shown repeatedly both on TV and on the internet, was in fact an urban legend.

You may have heard of her claim that she is a "foreign correspondent" in Washington "reporting to you from enemy lines" or how she wanted people in Minnesota "armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax" because they needed to "fight back", going on to say "Thomas Jefferson told us, having a revolution every now and then is a good thing, and the people — we the people — are going to have to fight back hard if we’re not going to lose our country."

You say you want a revolution

Her latest?
It’s under the guise of — quote — volunteerism. But it’s not volunteers at all. It’s paying people to do work on behalf of government. …

I believe that there is a very strong chance that we will see that young people will be put into mandatory service. And the real concerns is that there are provisions for what I would call re-education camps for young people, where young people have to go and get trained in a philosophy that the government puts forward and then they have to go to work in some of these politically correct forums.

The Minnesota Independant has audio, in case you don't believe your eyes.

Re-education camps for young people. I'll be the first to say that I don't always understand America, but much like Glenn Beck and getting a television show, this woman has traded a straightjacket for a seat in Congress how exactly? Is it Minnesota, is there a natural progression from Jesse Ventura to this? Someone, explain it. Please.

euj90n71sojo.png
David_T on

• ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I blame single-issue voters (ie, abortion) and politics attracting too many attention whores and not enough people with real intelligence.

Scooter on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    These re-education camps - these so-called schools, where children learn facts and gain knowledge - will be the death of us all.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    it blows my mind that someone this fucking loco is involved in our national legislative process. Or that she was voted by people into office.
    apparently, her district has more nuts than Jimmy Carter's farm

Tam on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dear jesus can we impeach her on grounds of fucking insanity?

Tam I agree but then again the average person doesn't know much about the presidential election much less their house representatives.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    It is extremely easy for a crazy person to become a US Rep. They have to appeal to only a small number of people in a very localized area, so for each bugfuck-crazy pocket of America, you're going to have a bugfuck-crazy representative.

America has lots of bugfuck-crazy pockets.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want to move to Minnesota just so I can vote for her.

Well, her and the lizard people.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    ... or from telling Chris Matthews that the press should investigate Congress Democrats to find out which of them were anti-America,

Dang, its like I've heard this idea before. Man... what was that thing called....

Side note, I'm a little upset that Jessie Ventura has not to my knowledge ever jumped off the ropes and elbowed someone in political office.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It is extremely easy for a crazy person to become a US Rep. They have to appeal to only a small number of people in a very localized area, so for each bugfuck-crazy pocket of America, you're going to have a bugfuck-crazy representative.

I would say that America is lots of those, just strung out enough to not be called one.

KidDynamite on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I listened to the audio clip, and I'm not happy with her spouting out the, "Americans are loosing their freedom" crap. Propaganda needs to fucking stop. The goddamn radio show host herself says, "I'm not sending my own kids to a propaganda camp." It's happening in your own home apparently.

Henroid on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    where young people have to go and get trained in a philosophy that the government puts forward
    She never took a civics class?

Couscous on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    it blows my mind that someone this fucking loco is involved in our national legislative process. Or that she was voted by people into office.
    apparently, her district has more nuts than Jimmy Carter's farm

Supposedly she's from a pretty ridiculously Gerrymandered district. One comment about it I saw that I found amusing was, "Have you seen how her district is drawn? It's almost as crazy as she is"

Savant on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    She was so close to not getting elected after the stupid "Un-Americans in congress!" comment, but it was too close to her election and she was up by enough to squeak though

:| Now she's gonna galivant around for the next two years spouting the insanities

at least it's comedy

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    300px-MN06_109.png

It's not THAT gerrymandered.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited April 2009
    MN06_109.png
    I've seen worse.

Couscous on
    edited April 2009
    well, nevermind.

Notice districts 3 and 5, both of which are cradled in the nook south of her district between Hennepin and Woodbury.

Tox on
    edited April 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    MN06_109.png
    I've seen worse.

Yeah, I guess it isn't as bad as some I've seen. Someone was saying it was pretty bad Gerrymandering by Midwest standards though.

Savant on
    edited April 2009
    Tox wrote: »
    well, nevermind.

Notice districts 3 and 5, both of which are cradled in the nook south of her district between Hennepin and Woodbury.

Minneapolis and St. Paul basically get a district each. No real surprise.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    well, nevermind.

Minneapolis and St. Paul basically get a district each. No real surprise.

good point. Still, I don't get how the 6th district is so oddly shaped. short and broad.

Tox on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where's 4?

Fencingsax on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Where's 4?

Between 3 and 5. No seriously, that's 3 to 5, not 3 and 5.

Henroid on
  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I went to college in Saint Cloud, which is in Crazy Creepy Lady's district. Very Catholic, very single-issue-Pro-Life area. I imagine the more rural portions of her district are even worse.

Oh well, that there are crazy Republicans in Congress is inevitable. That they are incredibly entertaining (by accident) is not, so we should appreciate the gifts we have been given.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Re-education camps? Seriously?

Aren't conservatives supposed to (pretend to) want people to volunteer and do stuff on their own time? As in, that's usually their justification for not wanting to pay taxes for social programs (I'LL GIVE MONEY TO CHARITY JUST HOWEVER MUCH I WANT)?

Duffel on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Re-education camps? Seriously?

Aren't conservatives supposed to (pretend to) want people to volunteer and do stuff on their own time? As in, that's usually their justification for not wanting to pay taxes for social programs (I'LL GIVE MONEY TO CHARITY JUST HOWEVER MUCH I WANT)?

Supposed to volunteer for church related things, and to me, church is another odd sort of re-education camp

psychotix on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crazy bitch is crazy.

That said, I actually do want them to repeal the compact fluorescent light bulb law. I hate CFLs, with a fiery passion. I fully recognize that CFLs are much better for the environment, but I'd rather they tax incandescents than ban them outright, because CFLs fuck with my migraines and my sleep issues and I hear they're horrible for SAD as well. I don't mind paying an extra dollar or two per bulb for my full-spectrum incandescents.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited April 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Crazy bitch is crazy.

That said, I actually do want them to repeal the compact fluorescent light bulb law. I hate CFLs, with a fiery passion. I fully recognize that CFLs are much better for the environment, but I'd rather they tax incandescents than ban them outright, because CFLs fuck with my migraines and my sleep issues and I hear they're horrible for SAD as well. I don't mind paying an extra dollar or two per bulb for my full-spectrum incandescents.

They actually went through and banned them? Yeah, they really should have just plopped a big tax on incandescents, since there are reasons why you might want to use them if price or energy consumption are not an overriding concern.

Savant on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Feral wrote: »
    Crazy bitch is crazy.

There are other issues with CFLs as well. I don't feel like going into them, though.

I still think the government needs to strongly encourage movement to CFLs whenever feasible, which is most of the time.

Exactly. And this goes for both sides of the aisle, as well. See: Kucinich. Different kind of crazy, but I'd argue that the magnitude is up there. And there are plenty of others.

mcdermott on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The House is practically an asylum with all the crazies they've stuck in there. It's surprising they haven't put in padded walls by now.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2009
    See: Kucinich. Different kind of crazy, but I'd argue that the magnitude is up there.
    They even look similar.

Couscous on
    edited April 2009
    Why are conservative psycho crazy bitches so hot? Seriously, what is it about them? They're, like...cougars or something.

Tox on
    edited April 2009
    Why are conservative psycho crazy bitches so hot? Seriously, what is it about them? They're, like...cougars or something.

You have horrible taste.

Couscous on
    edited April 2009
    That woman is not hot! Holy hell, how can you find anything on her except her eyes attractive?

Tam on
    edited April 2009
    Crazy burns calories. It's like mental pilates.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2009
    That woman is not hot! Holy hell, how can you find anything on her except her eyes attractive?

...Her eyes are those of a soulless demon and/or robot.

You have weird taste.

enlightenedbum on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MN06_109.pngI've seen worse.

I love colorado CD-7
    CO07_110.gif

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    edited April 2009
    And that thing she's doing with her mouth? Is that supposed to be a smile? That's a fucking grimace. The grotesque grimace of a numb sociopath trying pathetically and maliciously to fit into a system it can't understand.

Gollum would stay away from Michelle Bachmann.

Tam on
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    She's going to get knocked off in 2010.

Democracy remedies these things in the long run, it just takes a little patience.

In the meantime, what a wonderful person to have as a prominent member of the Republican Party.

Speaker on
    edited April 2009

...Her eyes are those of a soulless demon and/or robot.

You have weird taste.

Her eyes are a window into her madness.

Savant on
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MN06_109.pngI've seen worse.

I love colorado CD-7
    CO07_110.gif
    haha wow

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
    edited April 2009
    I don't know man, I just don't know.

Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham.

It's like an orgy of soulless madness.

....I need a cigarette.

Tox on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

You have horrible taste.

In fairness, there's also Palin, who had at least one pundit write an entire opinion piece about how she gave him a boner, and who can forget Katherine Harris and the twins?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited April 2009
    I don't know man, I just don't know.

Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, Ann Coulter, Laura Ingraham.

It's like an orgy of soulless madness.

....I need a lobotomy.

OptimusZed on