As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Scary Shit

• AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    A while back, there was a special on either the History or Discovery Channel about the catacombs beneath Paris, and specifically about this video camera that was found on the floor of one of the tunnels

apparently it had belonged to a guy who was down there exploring and got lost, and started to panic and just started flat-out running around the tunnels until he just dropped the camera and ran off into the darkness

they never found the guy

it's just really unnerving watching that tape, and imagining yourself in that position, knowing that you have no idea how to get back to the surface and you'll probably die down there
    not as creepy (to me at least) as the footage I saw years back on a show about cave diving
    they were exploring a freshwater spring somewhere in Florida
    during the exploration of one of the side channels, they came across the body of a diver who had disappeared earlier and seeing the footage of this body in a drysuit crammed into a little nook of an underwater cave system really creeped me out

I don't remember what show it was, or what specific spring in Florida it took place at but I did find this story about a very similar situation:
    http://outside.away.com/outside/features/200508/dave-shaw-1.html

I'm on page four or so of this and it's absolutely fascinating

Terrifying, too.
    yeah, it's a really good article

I think I might be crying now.

That was a really, really great read.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That was a very interesting article, but this tagline
    What happened after Shaw promised to go back is nearly unbelievable—unless you believe in ghosts

didn't really make any sense to me. Did I miss something? What part of that story was quasi-supernatural? Great read, don't get me wrong, I just didn't really see that part of it.

Halfmex on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, there was nothing supernatural about that. I had forgotten about that tagline by page eleven but that is mighty silly.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You know what's great to get a full lungful of?

Halon.

One of the emergency fire suppression systems in my old track blew a fuse when we were about a mile away from the maintenance ramp in the middle of the night; I distinctly remember thinking, "If I die from an accident while on duty, does my family get paid from my insurance?"

I was later informed that the answer is in the affirmative, which is comforting in it's own macabre way.

Yeah, I understand this, kind of.

I still think hitting a gravity bong out of a pool was not my smartest decision, looking back on it.

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So reading through the immense list of MSDS sheets we have, it seems chlorine gas isn't so bad, at least, not the way the sheet describes it.

But nitric acid sounds like fun!

Chlorine gas, great for burning your lungs.

Re: Trench Warfare

Yeah, I remember that, I just thought it was funny how our data sheets seem kinda nonchalant about what to do.

"oh, just give him some oxygen"

whereas our sheet on hydroflouric acid is like

"GTFO!!! RUN AWAY!"

shorttimin on
    edited April 2009
    The best thing is that HF is a weak acid.

Weak. Fluorine. The most reactive element.

Sure.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    The best thing is that HF is a weak acid.

Weak. Fluorine. The most reactive element.

Sure.

Yeah, and the flourine is the part that does the scary shit

shorttimin on
    edited April 2009
    I read the wikipedia article on it and then I got sidetracked by superacids.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    is there anything stronger than pure hydrochloric acid?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The power of love.

DrZiplock on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DrZiplock wrote: »

The power of love.

It can make a bad one good and a wrong one right

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

The power of love.

But can it keep you home at night?

Grey Ghost on
    edited April 2009

The power of love.

With it you don't need money and you shouldn't take fame.

DrZiplock on
    edited April 2009

The power of love.

With it you don't need money and you shouldn't take fame.

Hmm

so that's the power of love!

Grey Ghost on
    edited April 2009
    Lads, I salute you.

DrZiplock on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dru, if that one was creepy to you.. do you remember the video of this diver who gets disoriented diving too deep and you just watch him start drowning? somewhere in the middle east I think.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited April 2009
    Oh shit I remember that

made me hella uncomfortable

Grey Ghost on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    Dru, if that one was creepy to you.. do you remember the video of this diver who gets disoriented diving too deep and you just watch him start drowning? somewhere in the middle east I think.
    that was here

and for me the story is creepier because there's much more detail and I can, as a diver, imagine very vividly what happened

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Prax Sanchez says he doesn't recall any serious hammer-and-nail mishaps in his past.

Yet doctors administering an MRI on the 72-year-old Colorado man last month abruptly stopped the exam to tell him there seemed to be something metallic in his face.

Right after the MRI, Sanchez coughed up an inch-long nail.

His doctor, Jamieson Kennedy, told television station KKTV in Colorado Springs that the nail might have been embedded there as long as 30 years. The MRI's magnetic force apparently dislodged the nail, causing Sanchez to cough it up.

Sanchez says he can't remember ever using a nail like it.

"I'll probably frame it," he said Friday.

How does this even happen

Green on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    aliens

Faricazy on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    magic science

TheySlashThem on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A wizard did it.

Clint Eastwood on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No, you fools! Now that he has a hole in his brain the smart juice is leaking out!

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jesus, what the hell man? You have to be really, REALLY drunk to not remember hammering a nail into your own head, or someone doing it for you... jesus.

Curly_Brace on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Try leaning up against a chunk of sandstone that used to be part of a river bed thousands of years ago, eating a cold slab of pressed, processed "chicken" while bullets are flaking off slivers of stone on the other side of the boulder.

Weaver on
    edited April 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Try leaning up against a chunk of sandstone that used to be part of a river bed thousands of years ago, eating a cold slab of pressed, processed "chicken" while bullets are flaking off slivers of stone on the other side of the boulder.
    Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

(ok you were in the Army but still..)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What'sa matter Hudson; you want me to fetch your slippers?

Weaver on
  • KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Would you sarge?

KG3000 on
    What?
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Look into my eye.

a_001AlMatthews.jpg

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    that was here

and for me the story is creepier because there's much more detail and I can, as a diver, imagine very vividly what happened

man that reminds of that fucked up helmet cam video of a base jumper who's parachute doesn't open properly

and he hits the cobblestone floor at the base of this cliff and just makes these noises, getting up and stumbling around on what must be broken legs.

#pipe on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Green wrote: »
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - Prax Sanchez says he doesn't recall any serious hammer-and-nail mishaps in his past.

Yet doctors administering an MRI on the 72-year-old Colorado man last month abruptly stopped the exam to tell him there seemed to be something metallic in his face.

Right after the MRI, Sanchez coughed up an inch-long nail.

His doctor, Jamieson Kennedy, told television station KKTV in Colorado Springs that the nail might have been embedded there as long as 30 years. The MRI's magnetic force apparently dislodged the nail, causing Sanchez to cough it up.

Sanchez says he can't remember ever using a nail like it.

"I'll probably frame it," he said Friday.

How does this even happen

Forget how it got in there, how did he COUGH IT OUT? Was it up his nose? In a sinus cavity? Stuck in a pocket near his tonsils?

If you want to see something gross/scary, there's a documentary called "A Hole in the Head" which is about trepanning. There are some online clips from it, too, but I'm not going to link them because... ugh. NSFW.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Forget how it got in there, how did he COUGH IT OUT? Was it up his nose? In a sinus cavity? Stuck in a pocket near his tonsils?

When you have something stuck up there long enough your nose will basically form a sinewy cocoon around it to protect itself. The MRI machine probably had enough of a pull to loosen the nail from its tomb, irritating his nose causing him to cough / sneeze it out.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that noses are basically oysters.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think anyone would buy a nose pearl, though

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sure, you say that NOW

But I just got the best holiday present idea.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    edited April 2009

When you have something stuck up there long enough your nose will basically form a sinewy cocoon around it to protect itself. The MRI machine probably had enough of a pull to loosen the nail from its tomb, irritating his nose causing him to cough / sneeze it out.

reminds me of Carl Sagan talking about a dude who was convinced that he'd been taken by aliens as a kid and had some alien device implanted in his penis because there was a noticeable rigid mass there

finally as an adult, the foreign body in his penis worked its way to the surface and it turned out to be nothing but collagen and cotton fibers

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited April 2009
    are you trying to be relevant/funny?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    This reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head.

That would have worked if you didn't stop me.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

reminds me of Carl Sagan talking about a dude who was convinced that he'd been taken by aliens as a kid and had some alien device implanted in his penis because there was a noticeable rigid mass there

finally as an adult, the foreign body in his penis worked its way to the surface and it turned out to be nothing but collagen and cotton fibers

What

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Trepanning is a completely legitimate procedure

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg