As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Big Street Fighter Tournament thread *Sign ups are closed*

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys. Good job on the matches thus far. I'll be out of town until late Saturday/early Sunday so I won't be able to update the brackets until then. Being as how we are nearing the end of the tournament, I'm fairly certain you guys can figure out who plays who at this point. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow to the Sky vs Solsovly match! Really quite entertaining and showed great skill on both sides. You guys really deserved to be that high up in the tourney for sure!

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    That Rufus was pulling out combos that took 2/3s of Ryus health.

Fizban140 on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    Wow to the Sky vs Solsovly match! Really quite entertaining and showed great skill on both sides. You guys really deserved to be that high up in the tourney for sure!

If I make it to the finals I'm totally going to close my eyes and spin my stick in circles while mashing buttons, hoping for a victory.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    That Rufus was pulling out combos that took 2/3s of Ryus health.

1/2...with an ultra?

Sounds about right.

Very nice Ryu. Sol

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ouch, lost round 1 of the second fight because of a botched Ultra. Great fight though.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alright, I just sent out PMs with the latest matchups for the loser's bracket.

We've already got some Round 5 matchups set up; I think we might need to go beyond Round 6 to see who's the winner just because of the drops and red rings and so on that have screwed with the numbers.

But we shall see.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »

Yeah. Solsovly was my first match up in SFIV and Skye was my first in HDR. I got murdered.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks again Skye!

On that note.. .I have no idea what to do against a competent Boxer.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks again Skye!

No problem! If anyone else needs a record, I'd be more than happy to help out (not for SF4, for obvious reasons).

As for Chun vs. Boxer: use lots of low forwards and fireballs. Keep Boxer out, and don't jump in. If he's within headbutt range, be careful when throwing a fireball (watch his meter too). If you keep him out, it should pretty easy (but scary at times). I have to admit, I winced whenever you jumped in :P

Skye on
    edited April 2009
    Skye wrote: »
    Thanks again Skye!

No problem! If anyone else needs a record, I'd be more than happy to help out (not for SF4, for obvious reasons).

As for Chun vs. Boxer: use lots of low forwards and fireballs. Keep Boxer out, and don't jump in. If he's within headbutt range, be careful when throwing a fireball (watch his meter too). If you keep him out, it should pretty easy (but scary at times). I have to admit, I winced whenever you jumped in :P

Watching the video made me want to stab myself in the eyes after he opened each round with sweep strong charge. You'd think the first time I would've learned my lesson.

It just sucks because I love to rush in with chun-li with my medium punch and throws and that shit just doesnt work on boxer. I'm not used to playing defensive with her and its tough to break the habit.

As for the jumping in.. every time I tried to cross him up or escape a corner. Probably should have avoided jumping in to be overly aggressive... another habit from playing scrubs.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Thanks again Skye!

Watching the video made me want to stab myself in the eyes after he opened each round with sweep strong charge. You'd think the first time I would've learned my lesson.

It just sucks because I love to rush in with chun-li with my medium punch and throws and that shit just doesnt work on boxer. I'm not used to playing defensive with her and its tough to break the habit.

As for the jumping in.. every time I tried to cross him up or escape a corner. Probably should have avoided jumping in to be overly aggressive... another habit from playing scrubs.

Hey!

chamberlain on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks again Skye!

Hey!

You are not a scrub.

You also don't play boxer :P

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited April 2009
    Thanks again Skye!

Hey!

You are not a scrub.

Well, I don't play him well.

chamberlain on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks again Skye!

Hey!

You are not a scrub.

Well, I don't play him well.

Oh Chamberlain, lets have makeup [strike]sex[/strike] er.... HDR matches and everything will be forgiven.
    right?
    :(
    :winky:

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, those were some good matches. I'd like to promise not to do anymore dumb things but I don't think I can realistically promise that :lol:

Here's my match with Solsovly:

Skye vs. Solsovly

That was fun to rewatch. It could have gone either way, we both botched our ultra combos more than once :(

solsovly on
    edited April 2009
    Skye and Solsovly are clearly the kind of players who I end up going 20-4 against in two hours of player matches.

At least two of those wins of mine would be against their third or fourth best character.

Bad memories.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited April 2009
    SFIV 360 Loser's Bracket

Fig-D (Sakura) > StokedUp (Dhalsim)
    Fig-D (Sakura) < StokedUp (Abel)
    Fig-D (Rufus) < StokedUp (Abel)

Fig-D < StokedUp (1-2)

Ridiculously close matches. Ridiculously. Close. Two matches ended in time overs, one of which I won by what was probably a single pixel of health. Every match-up went to five rounds, and for the first two it swung two rounds one way before going three rounds the other. Definitely some really fun games.

Fig-D on
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Skye and Solsovly are clearly the kind of players who I end up going 20-4 against in two hours of player matches.

At least two of those wins of mine would be against their third or fourth best character.

Bad memories.

This is why you run the loser's bracket. We are a collection of family men at heart :-(
    P.S. Supertall, I'll be free from Monday onwards! We can ACTUALLY get our match done!!!

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    SFIV 360 Loser's Bracket

Fig-D (Sakura) > StokedUp (Dhalsim)
    Fig-D (Sakura) < StokedUp (Abel)
    Fig-D (Rufus) < StokedUp (Abel)

Fig-D < StokedUp (1-2)

Ridiculously close matches. Ridiculously. Close. Two matches ended in time overs, one of which I won by what was probably a single pixel of health. Every match-up went to five rounds, and for the first two it swung two rounds one way before going three rounds the other. Definitely some really fun games.

Yeah I got cocky after I won the first 2 rounds with Sim, then paid for it after you learnt my tricks :D
    Good Sakura! You used the distance and spacing appropriately and punished my mistakes. You are the first (I don't play any PA ers and rarely play vs sakura ranked) that beat me. Especially against Sim, well done.

Anyway, very close matches and well have to play again soon. It could have went either way, and at the flip of a coin I won.

edit: I wish I had recorded it. I think I'm going to start trying to record matches (mostly tourney matches) on my phone and see if its watchable, this series of fights wouldve been great to take a look at...

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SF4 360 Loser's Bracket

Taramoor (Gen) > Chadwalk (Guile)
    Taramoor (Gen) > Chadwalk (Guile

Taramoor > Chadwalk

He then proceeded to win three in a row, then I won three (only one of which was against his Guile) so while I scraped by with a win it easily could've gone the other way.

Taramoor on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hey hey! I need to match up with my tourney player, I was waaaay busy with the whole fam getting sick and other unfriendly problems, but I should be back on track shortly so we can move the losers bracket on.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    edited April 2009
    Hey guys,

I'm having technical difficulties right now trying to get my old files/software over to my new PC. Right now, I can't update the brackets, but can at least let you all in on the last three matches. They are:

360 HDR finals - RuffNite vs Solsovly
    360 SF4 - B:L vs James Dekk
    360 SF4 finals - B:L/James Dekk vs Solsovly

I'm also declaring Solsovly out of all future tournaments if he takes them both. :P

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2009
    I'd really like to watch the HDR final.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

edited April 2009
    I'd really like to watch the HDR final.

I could record it if Ruff and Sol give me their proposed game time.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sol must win the SF4 360 tourney so I can boast my only loss was to the champion. :winky:

King Kong on
    edited April 2009
    King Kong wrote: »
    Sol must win the SF4 360 tourney so I can boast my only loss was to the champion. :winky:

Technically, you're going to have another loss when you play me in the loser's bracket TONIGHT! OHHHH!! Bring it on...if you, you know, are available that is.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm confused. I just checked the loser's bracket to make sure my match wasn't cancelled or anything...I'm now fighting G Rol instead of Supertall?

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • GF-BoceifusGF-Boceifus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I seem to be having some issues with Xbox live, and maybe one of you gents has had the same problem. Since Sunday, I don't seem to be able to invite friends to join my games.

Well...I can invite them, but they are unable to join. When they try to send me an invite, I get the exact same message when I try to join, "Unable to participate in Session". I first noticed this when I was trying to get my loser's bracket match on with Blackbeard, and it's continued since then. No obvious changes to my internet that I can think of. Same isp, same router, same cables, etc.

The worst part is that idiot random flowcharters can still join the games I create, just not anyone that I would actually want to play with. :(

GF-Boceifus on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL / GFWL: Boceifus
    edited April 2009
    I'm confused. I just checked the loser's bracket to make sure my match wasn't cancelled or anything...I'm now fighting G Rol instead of Supertall?

I'm confused because I definitely sent you a PM.

Don't you guys have a window that pops up saying you have a PM when you get on the forums? I send people PMs and they don't seem to get them. I'm not sure what is going on.

Evil Multifarious on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty sure that the pop-up notification is an option in your user panel. Thus, anyone that has it turned off won't get the pop-up.

As to if they got the message... iunno. *shrug*

Houn on
  • James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm getting back in town tonight so I'll be able to have my match with B:L whenever. Sorry for holding things up a bit.

PM sent, dude.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
    edited April 2009
    James Dekk wrote: »
    I'm getting back in town tonight so I'll be able to have my match with B:L whenever. Sorry for holding things up a bit.

PM sent, dude.

It's cool. Let's knock these last couple of matches out this weekend. That way we can start brand new fresh tournaments! I'm calling for new, fresh, and exciting ideas for the upcoming tournaments. I'm also in favor of running multiple tournaments with different rules/skill sets at the same time. For example:

-A normal 32/64 man tourneys like the one's we are currently doing.
    -A separate set of team based tourneys. For bonus fun include a playoff system.
    -A "suicide" style 16/32 man tourney.

I'll start compiling rules/info for my above examples. But, first things first...let's finish these tournaments up!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My match with solsovly will most likely be played on thursday night. Just deciding the time.

Dover you'll be free to record?

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    is it wrong that I want the tourney to last another few weeks so I can get my 360 back in time for it :(

aBlank on
  • MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »

PM sent, dude.

It's cool. Let's knock these last couple of matches out this weekend. That way we can start brand new fresh tournaments! I'm calling for new, fresh, and exciting ideas for the upcoming tournaments. I'm also in favor of running multiple tournaments with different rules/skill sets at the same time. For example:

I'll start compiling rules/info for my above examples. But, first things first...let's finish these tournaments up!

A couple of novelty ideas:

Mirror Match tournament. All mirror matches, all the time. Not sure how to seed the matches, but perhaps have the brackets set with the character to be used before hand? That way you know who you'll be using down the road if you proceed?

Random Chaos Tournament. All character choices are random. Highlight the "?" and hit "X" 3 times! Chaos!

But yeah, I look forward to the next PS3 SF4 tourney, even though I will only serve as a bump in the road to my challenger.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
    edited April 2009
    I like the all random tournament for HDR, but I think it should be a best three of five matches instead if best two of three. Most of us are at least OK with all the characters, but truly terrible with one or two.

With my luck I would get Fei Long every damn time.

chamberlain on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Marikir wrote: »

PM sent, dude.

Mirror Match tournament. All mirror matches, all the time. Not sure how to seed the matches, but perhaps have the brackets set with the character to be used before hand? That way you know who you'll be using down the road if you proceed?

Random Chaos Tournament. All character choices are random. Highlight the "?" and hit "X" 3 times! Chaos!

But yeah, I look forward to the next PS3 SF4 tourney, even though I will only serve as a bump in the road to my challenger.

Mirror Matchup sounds like the worst idea ever.
    Random matches sound awesome though.

solsovly on
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Marikir wrote: »

PM sent, dude.

Mirror Matchup sounds like the worst idea ever.
    Random matches sound awesome though.

I'm with this man. Random sounds fantastic. Mirror? Not so much.

Fig-D on
    edited April 2009
    I like the all random tournament for HDR, but I think it should be a best three of five matches instead if best two of three. Most of us are at least OK with all the characters, but truly terrible with one or two.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate: