As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The most clean shave ever

2»

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You don't need a fucking $20 "mug" to shave - use a goddamn coffee mug you never use. Free.

Also, what is the alternative to "wet shaving"? I use a badger brush and shave soap, and a regular Mach 3. I mean, is the alternative that people just slap fucking shave gel on their dry face? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The more expensive brushes hold more water easily.

But really it can be considered a more luxury item.

All the razor has to do hold the blade, you can spend as little or as much as you would like as I am pretty sure it is just aesthetics.

Blades and soap is where you should spend you money at and both are relatively inexpensive for good products.

But really I would just suggest shaving twice a day or once in the evening if that is when you wish to look the most smooth.

Blake T on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Because I was talking to the OP, who likely does not want to jump feet first into this idea without finding out if it's for him.

Yeah this. I'd love to have quality stuff, but my budget just won't fit that yet.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

Icemopper on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    You don't need a fucking $20 "mug" to shave - use a goddamn coffee mug you never use. Free.

Also, what is the alternative to "wet shaving"? I use a badger brush and shave soap, and a regular Mach 3. I mean, is the alternative that people just slap fucking shave gel on their dry face? That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

They might have a wet face, but they lathe by rubbing the gel or cream onto their skin. You know, smooshing the hair down.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You dont need a $100 badger brush to shave. But you dont have to stoop down to using a shitty $5 brush from Walgreen. I own that crappy brush and I honesty I wish I just used that $5 on something else.

http://www.trafalgarshop.com/catalog_ts/Omega-48-Professional-Shaving-Brush-p-16299.html

omega_m.jpg

This brush can be had for roughly $20. This brush will produce a good lather and last you years of use. This brush is as soft as any brush that cost many times as much as it. The only downfall is the long break in time and the immense funk that will be present for the first few times you'll use it. Oh, and it's pretty cheap looking when you compare it to higher end brushes.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited April 2009
    So with either a straight razor or a safety razor, what other items do I need to get?

Brush, soap, and what else?

What about sharpening, how do I keep up with that?

EDIT: Based on the website posted earlier, basically just soap, a brush, and a razor?

EDIT2: I'm reading more and realizing I'm going to need a bit more, but still the idea of a straight razor is just so appealing!

Icemopper on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get a sample pack of blades from http://westcoastshaving.com/ and be sure to get some Feathers. Maybe you don't want to learn with a feather blade, but when you decide its time to get more aggressive and go after a baby butt smooth shave, you're gonna wanna try them.

Do you know if they deliver internationally? I had a quick look at the site, they never said they didn't... would that be a clear indicator?
    I own that crappy brush and I honesty I wish I just used that $5 on something else.

I hear that. On my brush the bristles stick out everywhere, a few will come loose when whipping up a lather and it just feels horrible. However, I needed a brush, and I couldn't really find any other brick and mortar stores that sold them.

Trentus on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Icemopper wrote: »
    So with either a straight razor or a safety razor, what other items do I need to get?

Brush, soap, and what else?

What about sharpening, how do I keep up with that?

EDIT: Based on the website posted earlier, basically just soap, a brush, and a razor?

EDIT2: I'm reading more and realizing I'm going to need a bit more, but still the idea of a straight razor is just so appealing!

Welcome to the club, you addiction card is here. Remember, empty is when the soap is no more, not when you see you're halfway done with the soap and you see something that catches your eyes.

Anyways, if you're going to use a DE safety razor, dont worry about sharpening the blades. The blades are disposable. Just get a sampler pack, like on of these, and find a blade that you like. Though maybe you may just want to get a pack of Feather and a pack of Derby Extra, they seem the be the two most popular blades that men enjoys. Though if you havent wet shave before, I do not recommend learning with the Feathers.

If you're going to use a straight edge, you're going to spend a lot more money for equipment. You're going to need a stropping strap and a whetstone along with the razor.

So basically with a DE safety razor, you only need a brush, the razor, the soap (or cream), and the disposable razors.

Straight edge you need brush, soap (or cream, razor, stropping strap, and a whetstone.

Casually Hardcore on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SmallLady wrote: »
    I highly recommend waxing. it doesn't really hurt that much. (and i get areas waxed that are WAY more sensitive then your face.)

You will have to shave every few days after like.. 1-2 weeks. but the hair growth will be really light.

I've definitely thought about waxing, because it is the most reliable way to remove the roots... I might give this a try and see if it is too painful.

Don't wax your face. Seriously. The skin on your face is more delicate than the skin elsewhere and trust me on this, it will make your face bleed.

I tried a small spot once on my boyfriend. Don't do it.

Hypatia on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The lengths some of you people go to in order to avoid having to shave twice in one day are, in my opinion, absurd. :P

Shave in the morning. If you're scruffy come dinnertime, shave again.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I think I'm definitely going to avoid the waxing option. From what I've heard, it would just not be worth any of my troubles.

And it isn't about shaving twice a day, it's about getting a really great feel that doesn't bloody up my face. Even shaving one time with a gillette fusion, going with the grain, I get bloody, and it still leaves hairs behind.

Not what I want in a razor.

Icemopper on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't go for a straight razor right away. You're going to drop a lot of money and quite possibly get hurt and discouraged while learning to use it properly.

This is all you need for now. Those 10 blades will last you a couple months easily. You can also buy huge packs of blades on ebay (I got a pack of 100 derby's for $19.99)

Grab a brush and some puck soap and give it a shot. Don't listen to people saying you have to order stuff online or find a proper shave shop. When it comes to wet shaving, there are tons of elitists who will tell you what to buy because anything else is bullshit and a waste--it helps them feel better about their own purchases.

Badger hair brushes (pricier) are better in that they hold water really well, the bristles are very stiff, and they last for years and years. They are a nice investment, but you don't need to get a good brush right away. Drop a few bucks on a boar hair one just to see if you like the wet shaving experience. Worry about finer brushes later.

Any soap that is not an alcohol-based aresol will likely be just fine. You can pick up a puck of Wilkinson Sword shaving soap for a couple of bucks. (Picture below). It's got a nice scent and gives a decent lather--not the best, but you're just starting out and again, don't need the most premium shit to get started.

attachment.php?ltr=W&attachmentid=4911&stc=1&d=1169944522
    Even shaving one time with a gillette fusion, going with the grain, I get bloody, and it still leaves hairs behind.

Not what I want in a razor.

I never understood why this company put multiple blades in a handle, added in some vibration, and thought it would give you a good shave. Several poor quality blades in a row you have to press hard against the skin are bound to cut you... it's simple mathematics :P

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm not going for anything fancy right off the bat, and Improvolone pointed me to a great tutorial place that helped me decide that I wanted straight instead of DE first. In either case, I'm still getting cheaper materials to start, and I don't get discouraged easily when I want to do something like this, so I think I'll be fine.

Icemopper on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seriously, just shave in the evening if that's when it's important for you to be ultra clean shaven.

I use a gillette fusion. I shave with the grain, then against the grain, using small strokes, shaving cream and tilting my head to stretch the skin of the area I'm shaving, afterwords I rinse with cold water and I use aftershave, moisturizer cream, or nothing at all.

Also, I shave right after showering and don't dry my face so it is wet when I put the shaving cream on.

I am very satisfied with my results.

Dman on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Believe it or not, everyone's skin is different.

Some people can't shave twice in one day. I can't, or I'll bleed like a stuck pick. It's not that I'm nicking myself, but my skin is too sensitive to run a blade over it that often.

Besides, I personally don't mind having a bit of scruff at night.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dont shave for a while (depends on how fast your beard grows, for me its about 5 days)
    Then on the day of, use a automatic shaver to take off anything it can, THEN use a good manual shaver liek a Mach3 with shaving cream.

This is the only thing that gets me a super clean shave. otherwise just mach3 ever other day gives me a 5-oclock shadow instantly.

variant on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The lengths some of you people go to in order to avoid having to shave twice in one day are, in my opinion, absurd. :P

Shave in the morning. If you're scruffy come dinnertime, shave again.

Well the grain of my face is kinda everywhere so shaving twice is a little rough. I give myself 3 days to shave at the least.

Off topic slightly but...

Is there anyway to grow facial hair faster?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited April 2009
    Squeeze your face really hard.
    edit: no

Improvolone on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use this vintage razor. I got it on ebay for about 15 dollars.

EDIT: I shave with it set at 6, and I use Art of Shaving's complete kit. It's pre-shave oil, shaving cream, and moisturizer. The pre-shave oil is really important and does wonders to prevent nicks and cuts. I also use Feathers and although I do sometimes get myself with them, they are so bloody sharp that any cut they make seals up when I splash with cold water.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    variant wrote: »
    Dont shave for a while (depends on how fast your beard grows, for me its about 5 days)
    Then on the day of, use a automatic shaver to take off anything it can, THEN use a good manual shaver liek a Mach3 with shaving cream.

This is the only thing that gets me a super clean shave. otherwise just mach3 ever other day gives me a 5-oclock shadow instantly.

Yeah I've tried that... it gives me a pretty good shave, but if I use a multi-razor after that, it just messes up my face.

Icemopper on
  • azstriderazstrider Registered User new member
    edited April 2009
    Okay, so here is my help FWIW. I've been wet shaving for about 2 years, all started thanks to a PA H/A topic. Let me first give you the links that were given to me which got me started. All three feature Corey Greenberg, of MSNBC and various other media. He sometimes goes over the top in his quest for a "perfect" shave, and likes to pimp out some products a bit much but I found him to have valuable information.

www.shaveblog.com ---- This is Corey Greenberg's play-by-play shaving diary. It is essentially dead now but the archives are full of amusing shaving stories, tips and opinions. CG opines on various brushes, razors and creams and I usually agree with his assessments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhDjWSJk0cQ
    MSNBC segment on wetshaving with brushes and nice creams. According to some internet vendors they went through an entire year's worth of stock in one week after this was broadcast.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/
    MSNBC article written by Greenberg to go with the short video segment. Goes into more detail regarding each component of a successful shave, the brush, the cream/soap, and the razor.

So the advise part...I have found I consistantly get my best shaves using the shave cream from nancyboy.com I have about 20 different soaps and creams in my bathroom and that is the one I reach for when I just want an effortless shave and great results. I use a mid-range vulfix badger brush (about 50 bucks I think) I actually avoid the Merkur blades (not the razors themselves, they work well) because I find them quite dull and never get a good shave with them. Derbys are generally thought to be middle of the road with sharpness while Feather blades from Japan are regarded as the sharpest.

Some people really love soaps, I've never been able to get a handle on them and generally find creams to be better.

Now for the bad news. Guys (mostly) grow hair. And we grow it at different rates. My beard has certainly thickened during my 20s and even after a shave which leaves no tactile traces of stuble I can usually see my beard under the skin, likely a factor of having dark hair and moderate-to-fair skin. I'm not sure how thick your beard is, how quickly it grows, etc, but you may have to make a choice between having stuble during part of the day or actually shaving more than once/day. If you are going to go the more than once/day route I would try it out before getting on the boat so you know how your skin will react.

azstrider on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, you guys are making me miss shaving. But I promised last November not to shave until it hit 50 degrees again.

One suggestion that I don't think was brought up would be to first shave with the grain, splash your face with some warm water, reapply lather and then shave across the grain. I can't shave against the grain without making a mess of my face, but this really does smooth out some odd areas left by shaving strictly with the grain.

Uncle Long on
    edited April 2009
    To learn which way your hair grows, drag a cotton ball across your skin untill it doesn't pull.

Improvolone on
    edited April 2009
    Thanks again for all the help guys, I'm looking into some options now, as I want to get something ready to shave, but I don't want something too expensive either.

Icemopper on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god, that video really makes me want to go to a barbers for a shave!

Kris on
    edited April 2009
    oh, and ALWAYS shave in the shower after at least 5 mins of being in it, the steam helps open up the pores and it's the cleanest way to wet shave.

variant on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Any recommendations for an anti-fog mirror?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »

I either shower cold or leave a door open so the hot air can run out, and that seems to work pretty well.

Icemopper on
    edited April 2009

I let my shower get steamy, the glass does get fogged butt i just throw hot water on it and shave

variant on
    edited April 2009
    I love my extendable mirror with a magnification side. Ikea sells one so you have no excuse.

Improvolone on
  • TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Apply a mixture of water and a small amount of dish detergent to the mirror and wipe it dry. You basically want to end up with thin film of detergent left on the mirror which will reduce the surface tension of the water, preventing it from forming small droplets (hopefully... been a while since year 7 science...).

Heating the mirror should also help prevent the fogging (maybe you could use a hair dryer or something. I dunno). Better ventilation couldn't hurt either.

Trentus on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Trentus wrote: »

Apply a mixture of water and a small amount of dish detergent to the mirror and wipe it dry. You basically want to end up with thin film of detergent left on the mirror which will reduce the surface tension of the water, preventing it from forming small droplets (hopefully... been a while since year 7 science...).

Heating the mirror should also help prevent the fogging (maybe you could use a hair dryer or something. I dunno). Better ventilation couldn't hurt either.

Shaving cream will do the same thing.

RUNN1NGMAN on