As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Secret World] - Cthulhu is all over this

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Before Age of Conan ever released, I was in the thread on these very boards stating that I was so excited to see something being done with the IP, but at the same time, the fact that Funcom was the one doing it made me hesitant and nervous. I played Anarchy Online, after all.

They've fooled me twice now... I'm definately not going to be purchasing this game until and unless it's well-proven not to be another of their characteristic failures. If they were using AoC as some sort've 'money grab' to fund this project well... I have even less respect for them given how they pulled it off, and in my case at least, it's a failure as I will not touch another Funcom product without heavy proof that it has lasting value.

Toxic Pickle on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Anarchy Online didn't really have that rough of a launch, though, considering that it was an early generation MMO. They were still hammering out the ground rules on how to actually produce a MMO, if it's release date was when I think it was. Plus, it was Funcoms first MMO ever and they cleaned it up pretty damned fast post-launch.

Besides, it's probably one of the most solid old-school MMO's out there now. And the base game is free to play. And it's getting a free upgrade to it's graphics to keep it relevant with modern games. It's probably the last game you want to get pissed at Funcom for making since it's so well supported.

Also, I attribute AoC's failure to that pompous douchebag Gaute Godager. Apparently he had no clue as to how to fix the game once it was released, causing him to either up and abandon the damned thing or, more likely be asked to step down from his role as producer and game director. He also sat on the damn game for about half a year, too, doing absolutely nothing while the game slowly died as well. It's not like they didn't have a relatively unique (As far as background goes, I can't think of many low fantasy MMO's out there.) premise to work off, so it was certainly salvageable for awhile.

I mean, look at the guy. He just screams asshole.

425gaute235ed.jpg

Archonex on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    Before Age of Conan ever released, I was in the thread on these very boards stating that I was so excited to see something being done with the IP, but at the same time, the fact that Funcom was the one doing it made me hesitant and nervous. I played Anarchy Online, after all.

I said the same thing and was scolded.

Unknown User on
  • GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    does funcom ever put out a mmo that doesn't suck

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Age of Conan is actually a pretty good game.

it's just that most of the game was missing at launch and the content we had available to us was riddled with bugs.

It really seemed like they could have made something great with AoC, but decided to just push it out the door half a year too early.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GrimDog420 wrote: »

AO wasnt too bad.. a year after it was released. :P

you have to hand it to them tho, at least they are willing to stray away from "GENERIC FANTASY" and try to go with something a bit more interesting, I like the idea they are presenting here, and would definately give it a shot.... 6 months after it was released (bare min)

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Age of Conan is actually a pretty good game.

it's just that most of the game was missing at launch and the content we had available to us was riddled with bugs.

It really seemed like they could have made something great with AoC, but decided to just push it out the door half a year too early.

That's my opinion too. It wasn't bad. It was just horribly unfinished. I really liked the combat system.

Echo on
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

This is pretty much how most MMOs work. Six months to a year after release and they're usually better than when they first came out.

Magic Radio on
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

Nah, it was still a bug-ridden mess by that point, but it could be played somewhat reliably so it was still a huge step up from launch.

I can't see this doing well, honestly. Between Age of Conan tainting the developers and Hellgate tainting the concept, people are going to be significantly more wary with this than they might be otherwise, and Funcom doesn't develop games to get a slow but steady population increase, they develop games to get as many subscribers as possible at the outset with further efforts aimed at retention rather than expansion. It wouldn't be an unfair situation, either... people got burned pretty bad on Age of Conan, with features promised on the box still not available and the thing only recently becoming anywhere near stable and balanced (though the latter is certainly arguable). This is a great concept in an industry full of great concepts, what matter is execution and I haven't seen anything from Funcam to make me feel good about this one.

sethsez on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I want him to be behind Dreamfall 2, damnit.

Dear Funcom,

Less bad MMO's, more good adventure games, please.

PolloDiablo on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I was kinda thinking the same thing this morning: Funcom needs to give up on MMOs, because they can't handle them.

Age of Conan could have, I think, been a very good single player RPG. Tortuga had a fairly tight storyline that was diverse enough to accomodate the various classes in the game, and the combat wasn't at all bad for a sort've action/adventure type of game.

If they'd continued to build up the story of the 'slave with the mystery tattoo' after Tortuga, complete with voice acting, an open world, and lots of side-quests, this could have definately been a contender. Heck, throw in a couple AI companions for party chatter and you've got a genuine RPG experience! Instead, you've got a faily mediocre MMO that quickly disappeared off the radar and is likely going to end up as a freeplay type of thing before long.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited April 2009
    More Viral stuff released, for the detectives amongst you

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=2662

followed by a video

http://vimeo.com/4000825

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    At least once this game gets released we can look up the quest directions on allakhazam...

Aldo on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the concept, but I absolutely dread the execution. After having signed up for the recently released trial of AoC, it's disheartening to see that AoC still has a wealth of stability issues. As much as I like the idea behind this MMO, I'm probably gonna take a pass on it - at least for the first two years it's out, as that will undoubtedly be the time required for the game to be patched to playable stability.

Operative21 on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    More Viral stuff released, for the detectives amongst you

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=2662

followed by a video

http://vimeo.com/4000825

I love these puzzles, though I never have been involved in the solving of any of them. I'm always too late and don't know anything about any sort of mythology.

This one looks cracked already and in the thread all of the spoiler bits were edited out by "A Friend" who was the character in the initial puzzle.

The more I read about them, the more I think that I actually enjoy just reading about them and wouldn't be able to solve them.

Honestly, I'll sort of be sad when this is released, because no more puzzles for crazy people.

Edit:

http://twitter.com/TheSecretWorld/status/1451308830

So, it looks like there's some sort of announcement tomorrow.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2009
    i really hope this isnt lovecraft. I'd hate to see Funcom butcher another fantastic IP.

Unknown User on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dude, don't actually play this game. Just follow/do the puzzles.

They're 10 times the entertainment that yet another shitty MMO will bring.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.gametrailers.com/game/11084.html

Cinematic trailer and interview with the lead.

devoir on
    edited April 2009
    If the game turns out anything like Ragnar is describing in the interview then I buy will this .... a month or two after it comes out :P Funcoms rep just sucks for MMOs but the concept sounds awesome , kinda reminds me of Supernatural.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    token get.

was like 517th to solve (read : follow the spoilers on the forums)

Will ahve to wait to find out what it's for

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
    edited April 2009
    devoir wrote: »

On one hand; awesome concept. Want to try!

On the other; Funcom. Fucking Funcom.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009
    devoir wrote: »

On one hand; awesome concept. Want to try!

On the other; Funcom. Fucking Funcom.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fucking Quicktime? Ugh... Fuck that movie player so hard.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    you can download the video in another format

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    you can download the video in another format

Found that out after i posted that. I clicked on the HD video and it wanted me to install QT. But I refuse to install the terrible piece of software.

Anyway it looks neat. I can't wait to actually try the game.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

If you enter this site, it looks like 2 other cinematic bits will be released eventually.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Director Ragnar Tornquist - creator of respected adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall"

This has officially piqued my interest.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    robothero wrote: »
    i really hope this isnt lovecraft. I'd hate to see Funcom butcher another fantastic IP.

I think it would be incredibly hard for someone to create a mmo based on lovecraft's work. If they make Cthulhu an actual Killable boss,im going to burn their HQ.

AdditionalPylons on
  • NAND NORNAND NOR Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I think it would be incredibly hard for someone to create a mmo based on lovecraft's work. If they make Cthulhu an actual Killable boss,im going to burn their HQ.

SARNATH RAID LFM NEED PRIEST 2 HL MADNESS

NAND NOR on
    moebius.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »
    "Director Ragnar Tornquist - creator of respected adventure games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall"

This has officially piqued my interest.
    This

This is why this game is going to be genius and why I have some faith in the project.

Aldo on
    edited April 2009
    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009
    NAND NOR wrote: »

I think Lovecraft would come back from the dead just to stop that

AdditionalPylons on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Lovecraft coming back from the dead would be worth the price of a crappy MMO. :P

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited April 2009
    Axen wrote: »

Lovecraft coming back from the dead would be worth the price of a crappy MMO. :P

Never thought of it in that way..........GO FUNCOM!

AdditionalPylons on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You say that now, but when he brings back all sorts of unspeakable horrors that cannot be named with him, how will you act then?

Archonex on
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

You say that now, but when he brings back all sorts of unspeakable horrors that cannot be named with him, how will you act then?

Not to mention the fact that the dude was racist. >.>

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
    edited April 2009
    A lot of people were, back then.

Also, I think I'm becoming a fan :(

The viral stuff they are releasing is fantastic, and the idea behind the MMO sounds delicious. If they can just have a proper beta this time, I think we're on to something really neat here.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

Ill have 10 awesome seconds of happiness followed by insanity.Isnt that great?:winky:

AdditionalPylons on
    edited April 2009
    Bah the forums have no real meat on the game just that viral bullshit.
    speaking of bullshit the timer on darkdaysarecoming.com will hit 0 in 6.7 hours , unless the numbers at the front are apart of it then.. it will hit in a few years...

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really want to be excited about this, but...Funcom's already dicked over one mmo based off of a pulp-magazine favorite of mine...

Havelock on
This discussion has been closed.