As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

There's something in the sea

MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Social Entropy++
http://www.somethinginthesea.com/

So Bioshock 2 is coming out later this year. No specific dates have been given but the holiday season is a good bet. Bioshock got lots of acclaim for its setting, that of a failed under-water utopia called Rapture which was engineered by a man named Andrew Ryan. Order was kept by Big Daddies, contructs that walked the halls of Rapture, ensuring order (even long after all order had been lost). There were also Little Sisters, whose job it was to harvest Adam, a substance created to enhance the life of residents of Rapture.

Flash forward 10 years, to the time of Bioshock 2. Andrew Ryan is gone, Rapture empty. However! More and more reports of little girls of a certain age being kidnapped from coastal towns are emerging, these kidnappings being accompanied with mysterious red lights!

In Bioshock 2 you play the first Big Daddy ever created, presumably gone rogue. Your main enemy is the Big Sister, a Little Sister from the first game who has become the new owner of Rapture. As a Big Daddy, you can learn to dual-wield plasmids or weapons, and the Big Daddy's signature shoulder slam and drill are also available to use!

Anyways enough of my shitty description! Look at this gameplay video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNV1FlprGuI

If you haven't played the first one, would you kindly do so?

Meissnerd on

• Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    this looks fun

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i never managed to beat the first one

Kovak on
  • doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    everytime i think about bioshock 2 i think about going back and playing the first game again

then i realize i played it five times

doublehawk00 on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wondering if this will be good or not

i hope it is but the story does not make me think good things

Sars_Boy on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    looks like Bioshock

Which unfortunately is not a good thing.

I always felt that Bioshock was suffering through awful gameplay for some awesome story.

Like MGS. But story worth paying attention to that was actually not funny outside of Kojima's twisted mind.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    looks like Bioshock

I always felt that Bioshock was suffering through awful gameplay for some awesome story.

Like MGS. But story worth paying attention to that was actually not funny outside of Kojima's twisted mind.
    here comes defender

Sars_Boy on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2009
    I really liked the good ending for bioshock

it didn't hurt that what you had to do to get the bad ending was so fucking terrible

DJ Eebs on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    yes yes a thousand times yes

Kusuguttai on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the gameplay for bioshock was as complicated as you wanted it to be. if you wanted to react to your environment you could, but you could also depend on one plasmid to get you through everything. and the story was awesome so that didn't hurt at all.

Meissnerd on
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    looks like Bioshock

no you are retarded bioshock is a really well made game with really awesome gameplay

Kusuguttai on
    edited April 2009
    i hope the story in this ends up being good

ryan doing his thing is still one of my favorite game moments

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2009
    i don't understand why people dislike bioshock's gameplay. maybe they want recharging health or something?

there is nothing quite like coming up with elaborate big daddy traps, and i hope the weapons in the sequel are interesting enough to allow that sort of planning. they already said you can do things like lay a cyclone trap and then make it a fire tornado. FIRE TORNADOES, YOU GUYS.

EDIT: oh yeah and the lead designer on this one was responsible for fort frolic in the first game. yeah.

doublehawk00 on
    edited April 2009
    the only stupid thing about bioshock was the regen chambers but i heard they added a hard mode or something so that's cool

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2009
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    looks like Bioshock

no you are retarded bioshock is a really well made game with really awesome gameplay

Are you joking or was Bioshock just the first game you ever played.

Bioshock was great as a scripted narrative.

But goddamn as a shooter give me Crysis, give me Gears of War, give me goddamn anything over that broken goddamn gameplay.

Again, I loved Bioshock. Incredible atmosphere, incredible story, close to incredible writing(Give me Avellone or give me death), but really, the gameplay was DOOM at best.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    looks like Bioshock

Nope

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited April 2009
    explain how bioshock's gameplay was "broken" or "DOOM at best"

doublehawk00 on
    edited April 2009
    i don't understand why people dislike bioshock's gameplay. maybe they want recharging health or something?

there is nothing quite like coming up with elaborate big daddy traps, and i hope the weapons in the sequel are interesting enough to allow that sort of planning. they already said you can do things like lay a cyclone trap and then make it a fire tornado. FIRE TORNADOES, YOU GUYS.

EDIT: oh yeah and the lead designer on this one was responsible for fort frolic in the first game. yeah.

When the gameplay entirely relies on you setting up a specific instance that depends on a specific mob there's a goddamn problem.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    well it was broken because you were hardly punished for dying

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2009
    oh, also!

in the first game the player could choose to either harvest little sisters for more adam, or save them. this time you can still harvest the little sisters, but as a big daddy you can adopt little sisters and get them to harvest adam for you! but you need to protect them.

Meissnerd on
    edited April 2009
    that's awesome

Sars_Boy on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man I just don't know

BioShock was goddamn amazing, but this new storyline sounds sketchy in the extreme

Also hey where is Doublehawk so I can rub it in that I beat him in our achievement race

Poorochondriac on
    edited April 2009
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

this is true, which is why i never used those things. now there is no reason for them to be in the game but apparently a similar mechanic is being implemented, only this time they won't have to patch in allowing players to turn them off.

EDIT: fuck you pooro half of those achievements are missing dates you are a CHEATER

doublehawk00 on
    edited April 2009

How isn't it.

You move around, you shoot guys with guns some of which are awesome some of which are broken dumb.

Oh look you can use the Shock plasmid in water to make MASSIVE DAMAGE. Gee innovation.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    Oh well it was still fun so fuck off

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited April 2009
    Man I just don't know

BioShock was goddamn amazing, but this new storyline sounds sketchy in the extreme
    yeah

this

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2009

for a wussie like me it was going back to fort frolic oh gooddd

Meissnerd on
    edited April 2009
    dude like

lets get some innovations in our shooting

the guns should shoot guns

that shoot guns

Kovak on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kovak wrote: »
    dude like

that shoot guns

That shoot timeshares.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

this is true, which is why i never used those things. now there is no reason for them to be in the game but apparently a similar mechanic is being implemented, only this time they won't have to patch in allowing players to turn them off.

EDIT: fuck you pooro half of those achievements are missing dates you are a CHEATER

Man why should I punished for being too broke to keep my internet on all the time

Poorochondriac on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can a drill arm make up for a sketchy storyline?

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
    edited April 2009
    dude like

that shoot guns
    that shoot knives

that are bongs

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2009
    I was removed even from mentioning the Vita-chambers in my recycled FPS rant on the gameplay itself.

Motherfuck I can just revive in the same place 'till everyone's dead? Hell I liked PoP's no-death system and that was still dumbass shit.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

My money's on nope

Poorochondriac on
    edited April 2009

How isn't it.

You move around, you shoot guys with guns some of which are awesome some of which are broken dumb.

Oh look you can use the Shock plasmid in water to make MASSIVE DAMAGE. Gee innovation.

crysis is not innovative in the slightest (hey a special suit that makes you run faster, become invisible, or throw things with a great amount of force, you've never been able to do that in a game before)

gears of war is a third person shooter with a cover system but weapons that have all been done before (including an orbital laser that causes MASSIVE DAMAGE)

doublehawk00 on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The guy in charge of this is the guy who was in charge of the Fort Frolic part of the last one and the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. So it'll be pretty good I think.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited April 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

My money's on nope

maybe in a game that wasn't a sequel to a game that had a pretty impressive story

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2009
    dude like

that shoot guns
    that shoot knives

that are bongs

ok so this is how knife bongs work

you take 2 knifes and heat them up on the stove

put some hash on one

get half a water bottle

squish the hash with the hot knives

under the water bottle half
    and then

toke

Kovak on
    edited April 2009
    BigDes wrote: »
    The guy in charge of this is the guy who was in charge of the Fort Frolic part of the last one and the Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3. So it'll be pretty good I think.

fort frolic was the creepiest part of the first bioshock

Meissnerd on
    edited April 2009

How isn't it.

crysis is not innovative in the slightest (hey a special suit that makes you run faster, become invisible, or throw things with a great amount of force, you've never been able to do that in a game before)

gears of war is a third person shooter with a cover system but weapons that have all been done before (including an orbital laser that causes MASSIVE DAMAGE)

Look I don't know what you're trying to do, but saying "well sure this refined the system but who cares it's been done" really doesn't absolve Bioshock of basically being DOOMHD gameplay-wise. Sure. Let's go to some D&D-level shit about how nothing is innovative and aren't we all intellectual whack-offs but that doesn't change that Bioshock's gameplay was recycled and stale shit that easily could've been improved. It was simple shoot-till-it's-dead-and-nothing-else fare. There is no other way to paint it. Ice+shoot equals kill? Great. You're still shooting 'till it's dead.

Khavall on
    edited April 2009

How isn't it.

Look I don't know what you're trying to do, but saying "well sure this refined the system but who cares it's been done" really doesn't absolve Bioshock of basically being DOOMHD gameplay-wise. Sure. Let's go to some D&D-level shit about how nothing is innovative and aren't we all intellectual whack-offs but that doesn't change that Bioshock's gameplay was recycled and stale shit that easily could've been improved. It was simple shoot-till-it's-dead-and-nothing-else fare. There is no other way to paint it. Ice+shoot equals kill? Great. You're still shooting 'till it's dead.
    yeah

i fucking hate shooting things dead in my fps games YAWN

Sars_Boy on