As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's something in the sea

• Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wait are you fucking kidding me

They are shooting in an FPS

The fuck is this bullshit

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    in crysis dont you

shoot things until they're dead

Kovak on
  • Options
    doublehawk00doublehawk00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    explain how bioshock's gameplay was "broken" or "DOOM at best"

How isn't it.

You move around, you shoot guys with guns some of which are awesome some of which are broken dumb.

Oh look you can use the Shock plasmid in water to make MASSIVE DAMAGE. Gee innovation.

crysis is not innovative in the slightest (hey a special suit that makes you run faster, become invisible, or throw things with a great amount of force, you've never been able to do that in a game before)

gears of war is a third person shooter with a cover system but weapons that have all been done before (including an orbital laser that causes MASSIVE DAMAGE)

Look I don't know what you're trying to do, but saying "well sure this refined the system but who cares it's been done" really doesn't absolve Bioshock of basically being DOOMHD gameplay-wise. Sure. Let's go to some D&D-level shit about how nothing is innovative and aren't we all intellectual whack-offs but that doesn't change that Bioshock's gameplay was recycled and stale shit that easily could've been improved. It was simple shoot-till-it's-dead-and-nothing-else fare. There is no other way to paint it. Ice+shoot equals kill? Great. You're still shooting 'till it's dead.

i'm just taking issue with you using other games with comparatively shit story lines that also offer no significant improvement or twist on fps gameplay

don't just come into the thread to shit on the game

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah because it fucking fits in a genre that's a carte-blanche for not changing anything at all.

Good job all.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well look at deadspace

you didn't just shoot shit, you had to shoot off specific limbs. gears of war really took the cover system to the extreme.

khavall is saying that letting you kill shit with weapons that aren't guns isn't innovative. i'm not sure that i agree but i see where he's coming from.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lot of people being angry at a videogame in here.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guys Khavall is right they should let us have card battles in our FPSes

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah because it fucking fits in a genre that's a carte-blanche for not changing anything at all.

Good job all.
    yeah they really should have changed up the whole "shooting things" dynamic

what were those devs thinking

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kovak wrote: »
    in crysis dont you

shoot things until they're dead

Basically. But there's more. Want to rambo the fuck out? Go do that.

Want to snipe from forever away? Go do that.

Want to be predator? Go do that.

Want to be Some super machismo-awesome robot machine of destruction? Go do that.

Bioshock you're either Wrench jockey or shooty bitch. Crysis allows options. Bioshock pretends to while offering the choice between BFG and the Minigun.

I liked the game overall, but please let's not pretend that the gameplay was anything other than shit that needs to be fixed. I mean I guess if you really missed Wolfenstein 3D and needed more of that then Bioshock was some great gameplay.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Guys Khavall is right they should let us have card battles in our FPSes

That'd be pretty cool.

Well, not cool, ultra nerdy.

But it'd be fun.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    well look at deadspace

you didn't just shoot shit, you had to shoot off specific limbs. gears of war really took the cover system to the extreme.

khavall is saying that letting you kill shit with weapons that aren't guns isn't innovative. i'm not sure that i agree but i see where he's coming from.

i'll agree that dead space pretty unique in its gameplay, and had great atmosphere to boot

gears just made cover an absolute necessity and added a button for it

bioshock's gameplay was pretty much watered down system shock but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    OH MAN KHAVALL IS ARGUING AGAINST AN FPS FITTING IN THE GENRE DUDES LET'S BE ASSHATS ABOUT IT.

No. Khavall is arguing against using genre as a shield for dated shitty gameplay.

Fuck look at CoD4. The most time-locked of time-locked series in the world to the point where when real innovation rears its head they break off from the series and still at least that offered motherfucking crouching and motherfucking leaning and some goddamn set-pieces that weren't necessarily scripted in addition to the plot.

Bioshock was dated broken gameplay attached to a genius story. I loved the story. I loved the atmosphere. I loved everything about it save the fact that I was playing gen goddamn 1 FPSs while going from plot point to plot point.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    well look at deadspace

i'll agree that dead space pretty unique in its gameplay, and had great atmosphere to boot

gears just made cover an absolute necessity and added a button for it

bioshock's gameplay was pretty much watered down system shock but that doesn't mean it wasn't fun

yeah, when i was making the point i was mostly thinking about dead space vs bioshock, because they both have fantastic stories/gameplay, but i would put dead space ahead of bioshock because of the gameplay.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Y-you can crouch in Bioshock

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Also, everything in COD4 was scripted.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    oh man i need to play dead space so bad still

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

And it does all of jack shit

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

And it does all of jack shit

YOU CROUCH

oh wait sorry i forgot that while crouching you shit magic bricks of gold in COD4 that instantly heal you. innovation, right?

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    ugh cod4

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BigDes wrote: »

Really? Because I once was hiding behind some sheet metal when some name-that-I-forget private dies from a bullet piercing my cover before I charged.

Not scripted. Just happened. War's hell and all that.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    at least the story is undisputed awesome

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    RIP nameless private

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pooro can also talk in third person when he needs to give his posts that little soupçon of unnecessary condescension.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pooro can also talk in third person when he needs to give his posts that little soupçon of unnecessary condescension.

hey

hey pooro
    twoosh

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    BigDes wrote: »

Really? Because I once was hiding behind some sheet metal when some name-that-I-forget private dies from a bullet piercing my cover before I charged.

Not scripted. Just happened. War's hell and all that.

Oh right, thought you were talking about all the actual set pieces.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I could think of better ways to revisit rapture

oh well

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I could think of better ways to revisit rapture

oh well

supposedly there is more to this one's story than what we're being told right now, but who knows if that is true or not

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    whatever

who cares about rapture post-bioshock? Not this guy

I wouldn't mind a game where you're a janitor or something trying to escape on new years, when shit went to shit

maybe have it take place over a longer period of time, get to see the lynch mobs form in the city up to the big clusterfuck

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    whatever

I wouldn't mind a game where you're a janitor or something trying to escape on new years, when shit went to shit

maybe have it take place over a longer period of time, get to see the lynch mobs form in the city up to the big clusterfuck

I was really hoping this would be the kind of approach they went for. Because as awesome as it looks and will probably be, the initial impact that made the first so excellent is lost.

Really though I loved every damn bit of the first one (until you don a certain suit that is). It is my all time favourite game and cant help but be excited, even though every part of me is sceptical.

Its kind of like with Matrix 1. I saw it and thought omg I want more, I love this. Then they gave me more, and it was exactly what I didnt want, sometimes when you flesh out a world it reveals how lucky the creators were the first time. Though im hoping the first wasnt a fluke, and since they admit the ending to the first was utter crap im quietly optimistic.

Prohass on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    a bioshock game where you play as a janitor would be so awesome

the first few levels have you walking around using a ground-breaking physics engine to clean up spilled champagne bottles with no foreshadowing at all

dudes all "am I even playing the right game"

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    whatever

remember, you're playing as the FIRST big daddy

do you really think they won't be expanding on how you became the first big daddy?

doublehawk00 on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    pro janitor simulator 5000

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Prohass wrote: »
    I was really hoping this would be the kind of approach they went for. Because as awesome as it looks and will probably be, the initial impact that made the first so excellent is lost.

exactly

good luck duplicating the sub ride in

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I doubt they're going to be able to top the game from a story perspective.
    But I hope they can tighten some of the gameplay up.

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bioshock 2: would you gently

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Ness445Ness445 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    like Mass Effect the first Bioshock is so much better as a PC game, I'm not really sure why I bought it as a 360 title (and unlike Mass Effect, I actually had a choice.).

Ness445 on
    4445.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nah the 360 controls for Bioshock was much better than the PC controls

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was removed even from mentioning the Vita-chambers in my recycled FPS rant on the gameplay itself.

Motherfuck I can just revive in the same place 'till everyone's dead? Hell I liked PoP's no-death system and that was still dumbass shit.
    LewieP wrote: »
    It's the voice actor more than anything. He just sounds so punchable.

He really doesn't.

I understand people's dislike of the game. Personally, I found it great, I loved playing it, and the ending was incredible. The fact that it garnered hate from people who, for 99% of them, disliked it because they weren't prepared for something so different, shows to me that it's just advanced to that point. Gamers who consider themselves Gamerz are as a rule dumb. Here we're smarter, but most of the criticism I've heard has still been from a game-focused problem... not from a wider view.

Anyways, my point is that I understand some of the problems. But the Prince VA nailed the fuck out of the part.

man khavall stop hypocriticising bioshock

Nuzak on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    well that's a tenuous link but i just love khavall's post there

i imagine him furrowing his brow, pushing his glasses up his nose, trying to explain these concepts

here... we're smarter

we need to take... a wider view

Nuzak on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OH MAN KHAVALL IS ARGUING AGAINST AN FPS FITTING IN THE GENRE DUDES LET'S BE ASSHATS ABOUT IT.

No. Khavall is arguing against using genre as a shield for dated shitty gameplay.

Fuck look at CoD4. The most time-locked of time-locked series in the world to the point where when real innovation rears its head they break off from the series and still at least that offered motherfucking crouching and motherfucking leaning and some goddamn set-pieces that weren't necessarily scripted in addition to the plot.

Bioshock was dated broken gameplay attached to a genius story. I loved the story. I loved the atmosphere. I loved everything about it save the fact that I was playing gen goddamn 1 FPSs while going from plot point to plot point.

Bioshock's gameplay was not broken. In fact it was well done in almost every regard. Stop confusing a lack of innovation for a lack of quality. I happen to know that when games spuriously try to innovate nine times out of ten you end up with Timeshift or Turok or some other bullshit. COD4 was good because it didn't try anything new. Infinity Ward have developed an incredibly tight and well produced system for their games that is consistently fun. Why break that to add in another bullet point on the back of the box?
    Similarly with Bioshock, it was a simplified System Shock in most regards, sure, but that doesn't mean it was bad. The freedom to combat was satisfying and while clearly not the focus of the game (which put more emphasis on narrative and environments), it was passable and facilitated a steady progression through the game. Other than a third act blip which is neither here nor there, the game was incredibly well paced in terms of plasmid progression and weapon variety. And the enemies were varied enough to never become overly repetitive. Even in Fort Frolic where they specifically lock you in for a meatgrinder it wasn't a grind. Mixing things up with dumb video game cliches like 'flamer splicers' or 'exploding splicers' or whatever would have broken from the narrative which was so strongly tied to the games success.

To say Bioshock was dated gameplay is pure nonsense. It isn't exactly the pinnacle of FPS gaming, I'll agree. Then again, while in comparison to say a Halo 3 for a richness of variety and scope, it more than makes up for that with atmosphere and story. It sacrificed aspects of game design that are usually used as filler to make up for a weak plot and filled it with a decent story and a gripping environment. There are sections of Bioshock where you go maybe 20-30 minutes without any combat. For that to happen in Halo 3 would be unheard of and would surely have shown you that if you expected Bioshock to be an FPS other than in name only, you are pretty dumb and have ridiculous expectations.

The_Scarab on