As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're pimps and killers, but in a philanthropic way. [Dollhouse, Whedon spoilers]

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I know. Though I guess it would answer the complain about the premise not having legs to go on for more than a couple seasons under it's current state.

Edit- Oh, also, spoilers for the May 1st episode
    We get our first glimpse of Alan Tudyk, though he plays the agorophic creator of Dollhouse. Jives with the whole "We'll see Alpha before we know it's him.

noir_blood on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great episode this week.

JohnDoe on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Spectacular show today.

Quid on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was slightly amused by the
    Conveniently shaped shards of glass.

Or rather the fact that there were two conveniently shaped shards of glass

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Awesome episode tonight.
    Somehow, they've managed to make Ballard's story MORE fucked up then I ever could have imagined.

That man is headed some dark, fucked-up places.

The DeWitt-Dominic bits were awesome too. I loved his little speech to Echo in the van. Everyone gets there's and your gonna fuck the Dollhouse up. It's hilarious that the girl he's been trying to kill is now is hope for revenge.

I also liked that they addressed the whole "How doesn't the government know about this shit?" and the "you could do SO SO many fucked up things with this tech" all in the space of 10 seconds.

shryke on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great episode... even if i thought the
    DeWitt/Roger bit went on a bit too long

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And oh shit, next week's episode? Why do we have to wait two weeks?

Quid on
  • WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tonight's episode was great but
    I'm pretty bummed that Dominic got sent to the attic. His character had more potential, and this, to me, is a waste.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm pretty bummed that Dominic got sent to the attic. His character had more potential, and this, to me, is a waste.
    They could still bring him back. It doesn't quite mean death.

theSquid on
    edited April 2009
    theSquid wrote: »

Didn't they imply
    they'll occasionally pull him out of the attic and put an imprint in of a his personality, slightly tweaked, to basically placate the NSA?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited April 2009
    Lanz wrote: »

Didn't they imply
    they'll occasionally pull him out of the attic and put an imprint in of a his personality, slightly tweaked, to basically placate the NSA?

Yup. DeWitt is a smart lady. You don't kill spies when you find them (cause then you won't know who the next one will be), you just render them useless.

shryke on
    edited April 2009
    shryke wrote: »

Didn't they imply

Yup. DeWitt is a smart lady. You don't kill spies when you find them (cause then you won't know who the next one will be), you just render them useless.

or in this case
    You render them into a backfiring gun for the person who sent them

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Didn't they imply

I don't know if they implied it so much as they outright said it.

Also, as far as who the mole was

I fucking CALLED it.

Maybe it is Dominic. I bet it is.

I bet it's Dominic. He might hate Echo and still want to bring down the Dollhouse.

Even if I was off about minor details.

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009
    Re: The Mole:
    I don't think Dominic is THE Mole (not the one we're thinking about).

The Mole wants to know what the Dollhouse's purpose is. Dominic seemed to be working for the NSA, and they wanted to CONTROL the Dollhouse.

shryke on
    edited April 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    Re: The Mole:
    I don't think Dominic is THE Mole (not the one we're thinking about).

The Mole wants to know what the Dollhouse's purpose is. Dominic seemed to be working for the NSA, and they wanted to CONTROL the Dollhouse.

Gah.

I know.

I know.

Sending messages to Ballard does not mesh at all with what Dominic said about how hard he fought to keep Ballard at bay.

But maybe it was diversion?

And I wonder what, if anything, they'll do about with that whole "Langton" story.

She didn't really interrogate him.

JamesKeenan on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy shit, this was such an awesome episode.
    Just when you think it can't get any worse for Ballard...

Mei Hikari on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck, I loved this episode so much. I can't decide which is better, this one or Man on the Street. Regardless, I fully believe that these two episodes are up there with the best of Whedon's other shows.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited April 2009
    OremLK wrote: »
    Fuck, I loved this episode so much. I can't decide which is better, this one or Man on the Street. Regardless, I fully believe that these two episodes are up there with the best of Whedon's other shows.

Agreed agreed and agreed.

I loved this so much.

It was just perfect.

There's a rule, by now, that Whedon is his best when he's focusing on a number of characters instead of just one, right?

This episode was just perfect, and the hint to Topher that Ivy likes him? And DeWitt becoming the icy cold witch?

When DeWitt comes crying to Roger, chronologically that's immediately after she discovers Dominic to be the spy, right?

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009
    Also, I love when shows "get to the point" as it were.

As for Ballad.
    The fact that Ballard acknowledges his obsession instead of trying to ignore it? Perfect. It pains me when writers make supposedly intelligent characters deliberately stupid just so they can drag shit out.

And now what he has to do with Mellie? MUCH better than playing this "when will he find out?!" game.

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009
    One tiny thing I loved was that they had Victor-as-Roger comment on Adelle misusing "ironic"... when it actually was kinda ironic. It was just such perfect dialogue in every way.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
    edited April 2009
    One tiny thing I loved was that they had Victor-as-Roger comment on Adelle misusing "ironic"... when it actually was kinda ironic. It was just such perfect dialogue in every way.

Oh, yes. Roger's character was fantastic. Phone-slipping, Sexy-woman-business-shoe wearing, dominate-her-in-sparring Roger.

Not just him of course.

"We're pimps and killers. But in a philanthropic way. Can I go now?"

This episode just makes me really curious to see where Langton's character is going to end up. He seemed almost hurt or betrayed ot have to leave Echo behind. And he was never really interrogated.

I can't quite tell what's in store for him. His ultimate motives, etc.

For instance, Topher is easy. Whatever actually happens to him, I'll always know where he stands. He's "the science guy." He's the gloating, nerdy genius.

Langton? I'm just excited to watch.

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009
    Yes, Boyd was awesome for the little that he was in this episode.
    And the implication that he's still Echo's handler, to her, while being the new head of security... delicious.

OremLK on
    edited April 2009
    His smiling while Topher was freaking out just made me very curious. And smile a lot at the juxtaposition.

Like, what's supposed to be going on in his head at that point?

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009
    Disappointing to see
    Dominic go. So soon after his drug-induced humanization.

JamesKeenan on
  • EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it okay to like this show now?

Because I think it's getting really fucking good.

Emonk on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Loved that Topher...
    ... went to Boyd first to give him a chance to run.

And all of Roger.

David_T on
    cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
    edited April 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    Loved that Topher...

I did too, but it makes me worry if they start to become friends, and like each other.

Because when people are happy and good things are happening between them in the WHEDONVERSE...

Then bad shit is about to happen to them.

JamesKeenan on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought somebody last week said the preview (which I never see, because I watch on the interwebs, because FOX is not in HD where I live) looked like this weeks ep was going to be another "personality of the week" episode.

Or not.

So awesome it wasn't even funny.

Also, regarding Ballard (among other things):
    Damn, that must suck. His character is in for a good Whedoning. I like how Dominic, assuming it was Dominic, feeds him just enough information to keep him chasing his tail. I also thought the DeWitt/Roger thing was great, and I didn't even think it went on too long...I thought it went on just long enough to really let you know how fucked up her character is. And to make you love Victor more.

mcdermott on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm getting to like this show.

I will not be pleased when FOX inevitably cancels it, as they do to all good things.

Oats on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This episode was FANTASTIC, the Dewitt / Roger thing really threw me for a loop, I wasn't expecting it at all. Very rarely does a show do that to me anymore. I also agree that Ballard's character is getting even more dark and fucked up, and I think that's a good thing. It makes him more interesting. The wall with all the information about the Dollhouse and his obsessive rambling portrayed that really well.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited April 2009
    I like that he actually realized how crazy he sounded, too. How often is "crazy obsessed guy" self-aware enough to reel it back in on a TV series?

OremLK on
  • Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think Dominic is the mole they're looking for.

This episode was the best yet. So much good dialogue and suspense. I'm curious to see how Alpha will be a big villain, because it seems like there is so much going on inside the Dollhouse that adding in an outside force would be weird. Unless he messes with Ballard.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    Loved that Topher...

I did too, but it makes me worry if they start to become friends, and like each other.

Because when people are happy and good things are happening between them in the WHEDONVERSE...

Then bad shit is about to happen to them.
    I think they're OK, unless they've got some hot geek-on-cop action going in the background somewhere.

Ballard/Millie and Dewitt/Victor will hopefully be enough relationship destruction for Whedon without him branching out into "guy friend" territory.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dude, does Ballard ever get the short end of the stick. Not only is his love a doll, but now
    he has to have sex with her knowing it. To put it bluntly he is going have rape her to keep up the charade. I mean he considers what the dolls do with clients as being rape and now he is one of them.

Whedon love stories... They are a bitch.

One thing that stuck in my mind:
    November sent out before or after Dominic locked down the Dollhouse. But she knew information about the dollhouse potentialy discovering the mole before he did. So is there another mole?

And lastly:

Why can't a doll be a spy/mole? We know there are sleeper dolls that can be activated with a phrase. We know that the dollhouse mind-wipe tech is not as effective as they think it is(the series kinda depends on it). Why not create a double-agent doll? of course this requires a third party.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
    edited April 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Dude, does Ballard ever get the short end of the stick. Not only is his love a doll, but now
    he has to have sex with her knowing it. To put it bluntly he is going have rape her to keep up the charade. I mean he considers what the dolls do with clients as being rape and now he is one of them.

Whedon love stories... They are a bitch.

It's such a fantastic moral quandary, too.
    Not only might she kill him (or try to kill him, forcing him to kill her) if he doesn't keep up the charade and sleep with her, it will also ruin his chance to free her and all the other dolls. Poor bastard is fucked either way.

OremLK on
    edited April 2009
    After this episode I'm convinced this is going to play out like a meta-Whedon-show.

Where I finally let go and fall deeply in love with the show, then it's killed horribly in front of me.

Well played, Joss.

EDIT: It's actually hard to remember the Dollhouse of the first few episodes, the one that was "kinda okay" and "I guess I'll keep watching."

mcdermott on
    edited April 2009
    I like that he actually realized how crazy he sounded, too. How often is "crazy obsessed guy" self-aware enough to reel it back in on a TV series?

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to get at.

This show is so damn good because it doesn't drag arbitrary shit out.

I hate when characters are deliberately made stupid just so the show can stretch certain story arcs/elements out for pointless periods of time, to where it's just retarded.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, HEROES!

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    EDIT: It's actually hard to remember the Dollhouse of the first few episodes, the one that was "kinda okay" and "I guess I'll keep watching."

I know what you mean, but really... That's partly because the show started two months ago.

Where the hell does the time go!?

JamesKeenan on
    edited April 2009

Yeah, that's basically what I was trying to get at.

This show is so damn good because it doesn't drag arbitrary shit out.

I hate when characters are deliberately made stupid just so the show can stretch certain story arcs/elements out for pointless periods of time, to where it's just retarded.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, HEROES!

So true. Which is probably part of why it was such a surprise, because it's so routine for shows to do just that.
    Instead we get to watch Ballard get kicked in the nuts, while getting a swift kick there ourselves.

mcdermott on
  • KiwiKiwi Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This episode was FANTASTIC, the Dewitt / Roger thing really threw me for a loop, I wasn't expecting it at all. Very rarely does a show do that to me anymore. I also agree that Ballard's character is getting even more dark and fucked up, and I think that's a good thing. It makes him more interesting. The wall with all the information about the Dollhouse and his obsessive rambling portrayed that really well.

Yeah, the Dewitt stuff:
    It took me like a full five minutes to wrap my head around that because I wasn't expecting that at all. I was all 'Wait, what? OMG. Huh, well, icky.'

Also: I can't wait to see what Ballard's going to do now that he knows about Mellie.

Kiwi on
This discussion has been closed.