As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

• DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My DS Wallpaper is of Ms. Deacon sleeping.

She doesn't know yet.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My DS Wallpaper is of Ms. Deacon sleeping.

She doesn't know yet.

Awesome, so is mine. Now you are both surprised!

commathe on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This thread is going into a weird area. I need an adult!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited April 2009
    So... Aquia is really damn addicting.

Now when I type, in my head I see the text sliding from left to right and clearing out.
    It does a really good job making you frantic too, it's like it's part drowning sim!

Also I was clicking on the parrot while playing music, he says some silly things. "Punkrock demands excitebike!" being pretty amusing.

commathe on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hni0050.jpg
    hni0051.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just cause this needs to be shared -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2sakxsE-Zs

Zerokku on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    haha the ending is worth it

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    While the game itself doesn't look that interesting, the recording of you playing it afterwards seems like it is SOOOO worth it. :D

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Unfortunately it isn't.

SirToasty on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wow how bad can you be at moving your hands to cover the things
    he takes like a good 20 seconds until OH WOOPS MY HANDS ARE NOT EVEN ON THE SCREEN LOL

RubberAC on
    edited April 2009
    It's actually just that the camera isn't that great at the facial/shape recognition then anything.

Zerokku on
    edited April 2009
    That video pretty much cemented the fact that I will not be buying warioware.

commathe on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does the lid on anybody elses DSI shift a bit if they try and move it while closed? Mine is slightly loose and also doesn't seem to fit flush with the edge of the bottom, it seems like the lite is recessed a bit to keep the screens from touching while the DSI has small spacers on the sides. This seems to keep the machine from feeling as solid when closed as my lite did.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited April 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Wow how bad can you be at moving your hands to cover the things
    he takes like a good 20 seconds until OH WOOPS MY HANDS ARE NOT EVEN ON THE SCREEN LOL
    Sometimes the camera just doesn't want to recognize you. It is kind of annoying.

edit: Walnut, my lid shifts ever so slightly but so have my Phat and Lite before.

SirToasty on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have to say I'm somewhat unhappy with the battery life on this thing, I'm at 4 brightness and getting maybe 5 hours of gameplay counting a couple days of standby mode.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited April 2009
    I have to say I'm somewhat unhappy with the battery life on this thing, I'm at 4 brightness and getting maybe 5 hours of gameplay counting a couple days of standby mode.
    The manual says you get about that much from that setting. I keep it on 4 and turn it down when the red comes on.

SirToasty on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Speaking of battery life I wonder why Nintendo didn't utilize some clock throttling on the cpu when playing normal DS games. When in normal DS mode the power to the camera and extra ram should be shut off and the cpu throttled to 166mhz. (Unless all that extra power drain is from the slightly larger screen, but I don't think it should be that drastic? Seems that shit should have become more efficient in 2 years time)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    smaller battery

FyreWulff on
    edited April 2009
    Can't wait for the DSi Long, with a wider shape and longer battery life

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Turning wireless off seems to help the battery life too.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Can't wait for the DSi Long, with a wider shape and longer battery life

I hear it'll have two longs.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited April 2009
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Turning wireless off seems to help the battery life too.

Right, it appears that wireless is always on at times, like at the main menu (checking for updates?).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What kind of men are you guys, anyway?

We're talkin' games and you bring up chicks and romance?

Anyhow, I tried a DSi at work today that a friend had. Kinda cool, but I don't really see the point in upgrading from a DS Lite to DSi. DS fat to DSi, sure.

UnbreakableVow on
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Does the lid on anybody elses DSI shift a bit if they try and move it while closed? Mine is slightly loose and also doesn't seem to fit flush with the edge of the bottom, it seems like the lite is recessed a bit to keep the screens from touching while the DSI has small spacers on the sides. This seems to keep the machine from feeling as solid when closed as my lite did.

You know my top screen section seems to be really flimsy as well. It'll noticably snap into the usual operating angle but even at this position it'l wabble a little bit which is really annoying to me. It's def not as solid when flipped open as the Lite. Is there a way to tighten something on this to fix that?

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    hni0050.jpg
    hni0051.jpg

You sway me to wanting to get a DSi right now.

Henroid on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I saw a kid with a DSi earlier in a shop, playing Sonic and Mario at the Olympics. He had a white one which looked a bit grimey already.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    edited April 2009
    white would be te jan japan ones, right?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PikaPuff wrote:
    white would be te jan japan ones, right?

I just checked, Europe got the same colours as Japan: white and black.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder what the first DSi bundle will be for the US. Looks like for Japan it is an Ace Attorney bundle

dclee on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Man what

I hardly ever take my brightness off of 2 unless there's sunlight glare

Green on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Green wrote: »

Man what

I hardly ever take my brightness off of 2 unless there's sunlight glare
    4 is the system default.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's a system default?

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
    edited April 2009
    Ace Jon wrote: »
    There's a system default?

What would the alternative be?

I mean even if it started with the backlight off, that would be considered the default.

UncleSporky on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So is it true that WIFI is always on, and that if you disable it from the menu, your battery life goes up?

slash000 on
    edited April 2009
    From my experience, it does seem like it.

Also from my experience, you have to manually turn it back on when needed. I tried to go on wifi and assumed it would just start up like old school DS's but it didnt.

Zerokku on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dclee wrote: »
    I wonder what the first DSi bundle will be for the US. Looks like for Japan it is an Ace Attorney bundle

The first was the Final Fantasy: CC : Echos of time bundle and the 2nd unless the Ace Attorney bundle comes out before it is the Kingdom Hearts one. The first bundles for the US will be the usual Brain training editions then probably get special zelda and Professor Layton versions later in the year.

Ziggymon on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea manually turning off wifi boosts the battery life a good bit for me, my wifi was always on even playing games with out online.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    RE: Turning off the WiFi manually

Would somebody be nice enough to tell me the procedure? I got a japanese DSi and I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing when I'm navigating the system menus.

Djiem on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't know if this has been found already yet, but I noticed a cute little Easter Egg in the DSi's camera function today. Try taking a picture of anything and then open up the "edit" function. Choose the "graffiti" option and clear the screen. Open up the symbol types and choose the music note. Start placing them anywhere on the screen. Here the sound that accompanies it? Pretty cute touch right, but did you know that it's not random?

Try this, clear the screen again. Now place the stylus in the lower left corner of the touch screen and slowly drag it all the way to the right. This should yield eight notes that are escalating as you move to the right. Now place the stylus in the middle left and do the same thing. Now it's gone up an octave. Finally, place the stylus in the upper left and drag. Once again, you've gone up an octave. Cool, huh? Clear the screen again, and place the stylus back in the lower left corner again. Now drag up the stylus straight up. You should get six notes. Each pair of notes represents one level of octave. The middle acts as the starting octave and the ones above and below it represent higher and lower octaves.

I did some experimenting and found that the notes are laid out in a certain sequence that mirrors a piano's layout. If we assume that we have three zones of octaves with eight notes going across, that would give us twenty-four locations for notes. Here is a visual example of what I'm talking about:

C D E F G A B C
    C D E F G A B C
    C D E F G A B C

The "C" on the far right matches the "C" on the far left on the octave above it. Try it out for yourself. Touch the "C" location on the middle right and then touch the "C" location on the upper left. See, same sound. The same goes for the "C" on the lower right and the "C" in the middle left.

Now for the fun part. Get out a piece of paper, or use something on your computer, and draw out a 3x8 grid and fill it in with the above letters. Now take your DSi and take a picture of the grid so that it fills the touchscreen perfectly. Once you have the picture saved, open it up and choose the graffiti option. If you took the picture right, your screen should have twenty-four squares each with a letter in them. Tap the stylus on the squares to listen to the proper notes.

Now, try playing this and guess what it is:

(starting on the middle octave) D-D-D, G, !D, C-B-A, !G, !D, C-B-A, !G, !D, C-B-C, A

**The "-" means play it quickly and the "!" means use the higher octave.**

Highlight for the answer:
    The beginning of the main theme of Star Wars

But wait, there's more! If you hold up or down on the D-Pad while touching a note, it will apply a sharp (up on the d-pad) or a flat (down on the d-pad) to the note. Using this new technique, try playing the following:

(starting in the middle octave) B, B, B-B-B, B-A, B-B, B-B-B, B-A, B-B, B-B-B, B-F-F, F-F-F, F-F-F, F-F

**All of the "B" and "A" notes are flats. The "F" notes are normal.**

If your gamer sense is tingling, you should get the beat almost immediately. If you still don't know what it is, highlight the answer here:
    The intro to the Legend of Zelda.

Now go out and find some sheet music and tap out some of your favorite songs! Here are some good resources that helped me figure it all out:

The Basics of Reading Sheet Music
    Sharps, Flats, and Natural Notes
    The Empire Strikes Back Music Sheet
    The Legend of Zelda Music Sheet (pdf)

I hope you guys find this as cool as I did. Have fun tapping out music to your pictures...with the slightly obnoxious picture music in the background.

Edit: Here is my tutorial video. Peace!

How to make music with your DSi

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You are amazing.

Ace Jon on