As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Land of the Dead Beckons Us! (Resubscribe NOW!)

• HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great experience last night. Got dropped by a r30 WH outside of Spite's, then I got rezzed by a DoK. Turns out the DoK didn't bother to move to a safe area, so I got killed, this time by the splash damage from the keep oil because the DoK was practically stadning under it.

Havelock on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Havelock wrote: »
    also, does anyone else note a lack of smart tanks? just cause the character has low int the player doesn't have to

Yup. In the old thread just before it locked, I posted about a Phoenix Gate scen I ran last night (pug and all, ohboyohboy) and how I had three Chosen in my group who, though they were between levels 18 and 20, they still didn't know what the priority targets were in the scenario, i.e. the goddamn healers.

They also ran behind our healers when overly damaged and brought some friends with them.

Also, I didn't mean to sound all "L2P" in my post, but I don't think that mdps (outside of t4) are really as worthless as people make them out to be. I've been in plenty of scenarios where I've seen a WH or WL or the Destro equivalent owning face. It's just not an all the time thing.

When I was at the top of the tier, i was topping the damage, or coming close at least, even when dying 3-4 times (i might have just been around really bad players :P ) but the problem i have is that i switch targets a lot, not because i don't know who to attack, but unless i get a squig herder (for some reason they are they absolutely softest targets i've hit) I won't be able to take out someone who is getting heals, so i'll often switch and go to assist a tank or something.

I guess from what you're saying is that my problem is playing in PUGs :P which sucks, cause i really liked the white lion, its exactly the class i wanted to play (minus pet).

Another Note: squig herder is really fun, i really enjoyed playing it, they do great damage and the pets are pretty darn good too. though shaman is arguably more useful. what the game really needs are competent tanks though.

Feldorn on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great experience last night. Got dropped by a r30 WH outside of Spite's, then I got rezzed by a DoK. Turns out the DoK didn't bother to move to a safe area, so I got killed, this time by the splash damage from the keep oil because the DoK was practically stadning under it.

I had something similar happen in Isha's recently; the Zealot who rezzed me was casting while standing in an existing Rain of Fire.

Whoops.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Whoops.

I'll bet that's what you said, but with more "F"s.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Whoops.

FHOOFS YOU IDIOT ZEALOT!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    Feldorn wrote: »

I guess from what you're saying is that my problem is playing in PUGs

Man, PUGs are everyone's problem. They're a damn menace. It's only in PUGS where I'll get the WB leader with the stuck Caps button, or the Chosen/Blorc who asks what a good DPS build for a tank is, then bitch when they have crap survivability.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Whoops.

FHOOFS YOU IDIOT ZEALOT!

Yup. Just like that.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009

Man, PUGs are everyone's problem. They're a damn menace. It's only in PUGS where I'll get the WB leader with the stuck Caps button, or the Chosen/Blorc who asks what a good DPS build for a tank is, then bitch when they have crap survivability.

I still think it only takes a few good players to turn it around.

But usually it's a pair of DoKs alone in a group trying to AoE heal farm at the fringes without any real effect on the actual scenario. Goddamn I hate those fucks.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All of the reasons above are why I dont play scenarios at all. It makes me sad when the live events make you do a scenario.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2009

I still think it only takes a few good players to turn it around.

But usually it's a pair of DoKs alone in a group trying to AoE heal farm at the fringes without any real effect on the actual scenario. Goddamn I hate those fucks.

I've never understood why some DoKs will do that. I usually just pick a tank/mdps and work in tandem with them, rending soul, HoT, consume strength, patch wounds as necessary and not technically in that order. If a DoK was meant to be a main-line healer, then they wouldn't have so many offensive capabilities. The ones who sit back with the caster line spamming their HoTs, trash insta heal, and AoE forget that DoKs are a hybrid class.

Of course in t4 period or any zerg heavy orvr, all that getting in and fighting with the tanks goes right out the window.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    I still enjoy them, but generally have a guildmate or two to try to swing things with.

The uphill battle with a few friends is actually pretty fun, especially when it works.

Also, it appears that dynamite and caltrops will *not* be in 1.2.1. Mythic pulled them in response to testers' balance concerns. Seems fair to me, especially as caltrops were apparently ridiculously powerful.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I still enjoy them, but generally have a guildmate or two to try to swing things with.

The uphill battle with a few friends is actually pretty fun, especially when it works.

Also, it appears that dynamite and caltrops will *not* be in 1.2.1. Mythic pulled them in response to testers' balance concerns. Seems fair to me, especially as caltrops were apparently ridiculously powerful.

How does one get into the test server to sample this fare?

Must I make a pact with the Ruinous Powers?

Havelock on
    edited April 2009

How does one get into the test server?

Must I make a compact with the Ruinous Powers?

Yes.
    Click "Testpatch.exe" in your WAR folder while speaking Tzeentch' name backwards with the blood of a newt on your tongue. You can copy characters by sacrificing a virgin with your browser on accounts.eamythic.com.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Is that a mix between a contract and pact?

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • PhosPhos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been the THAT healer that rezzes people only have them die seconds later as an aoe is dropped on me.

It sucks.. really.

Almost as much as rezzing someone and watching them run right back into the zerg with minimal life.

"Hey... Hey guy! Let me heal you before... inc rez"

Phos on
    edited April 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

I thought it was a word, and then I Googled for confirmation.

There is no such word

As a person with a BA in English, I feel ashamed.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    you could fill said compact with rouge of ruin?

there is a word... just not for what you're wanting it to mean ;)

you can do a contract, which is written/tangible or a pact, which usually requires your soul, blood, firstborn, or a virgin... sometimes all of the above.

Feldorn on
    edited April 2009
    you could fill said compact with rouge of ruin?

Quiet, you.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Phos wrote: »
    I've been the THAT healer that rezzes people only have them die seconds later as an aoe is dropped on me.

It sucks.. really.

Almost as much as rezzing someone and watching them run right back into the zerg with minimal life.

"Hey... Hey guy! Let me heal you before... inc rez"

I've had this happen before too. I think this has happened to every healer, actually.

And every healer's had the random player run up during a keep siege (as you struggle to keep the Tanks alive and manning that ram) and /say "heal", and when you ignore them they follow you and jump up and down in front of you.

Those are the players that I wish I could drain of health and give the health to others more deserving.

Havelock on
  • SherlokSherlok Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »

I thought it was a word, and then I Googled for confirmation.

There is no such word

As a person with a BA in English, I feel ashamed.

Isn't it a makeup item? the tiny thing with powder a mirror and a really soft fuzzy pad in it?

A shade of color who's name would turn you to dust and works great for Falls and Summers....

Sherlok on
    edited April 2009
    @sherlok already went there :P

if i see someone get rezzed, i will target them and try and burn them down again every time, no matter what :P nothing i hate worse than dropping a squigger and going after a zealot only to have some shaman rez the squigger back in.

Feldorn on
    edited April 2009

if i see someone get rezzed, i will target them and try and burn them down again every time, no matter what :P nothing i hate worse than dropping a squigger and going after a zealot only to have some shaman rez the squigger back in.

A shaman that rezzes a squig herder has odd priorities. No offense to any squig herders.

Havelock on
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Yeah nothing warms my heart more than being in the back lines attacking me some healers and seeing them rez a sorc and then one shotting the sorc with my magical, souped up flintlock.

Also, having fun on keep takes as MDPS pretty much demands using Pick Lock/Bypass Defense.

Saammiel on
    edited April 2009

A shaman that rezzes a squig herder has odd priorities. No offense to any squig herders.

I normally play against PuGs. and i'm using this as an example, not exactly fact.

and in most pugs, if someone drops, a healer will try and rez him.

Feldorn on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Saammiel wrote: »

Yeah nothing warms my heart more than being in the back lines attacking me some healers and seeing them rez a sorc and then one shotting the sorc with my magical, souped up flintlock.

Also, having fun on keep takes as MDPS pretty much demands using Pick Lock/Bypass Defense.
    Which is why the first 40 ranks need to require less renown.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • McCow42McCow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I normally play against PuGs. and i'm using this as an example, not exactly fact.

and in most pugs, if someone drops, a healer will try and rez him.

I rez people I hate* into puddles/git to da choppa spam.

*random caps lock guy/anyone who bitches about dying or healing/random tools etc.

Never piss a healer off.

McCow42 on
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Which is why the first 40 ranks need to require less renown

also, needs more cowbell.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Which is why the first 40 ranks need to require less renown.

And reduce the amount of XP required to get to 40. T3, and T2 for some classes, are outright painful.

While I'm preaching...

Move all the core Silence skills to around level 15 as well.

McCow42 on
    edited April 2009
    Let's be honest: A new chunk of land should be created and designated as Tier 4. The current Tier 4 would be Tier 5 and exclusively for 40s. Spread out the RvR lakes since you don't need all that leveling shit and you're good to go.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    Let's be honest: A new chunk of land should be created and designated as Tier 4. The current Tier 4 would be Tier 5 and exclusively for 40s. Spread out the RvR lakes since you don't need all that leveling shit and you're good to go.

This. So much.

That way you won't have a bunch of t4 rank 40s in t3 making life difficult.

At least, you'd probabl have less...

But t4 would be playable for the people in the awkward early 30s.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    You'd have some 40 chickens, I guess. Unless you roll on an Open sever.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    You'd have some 40 chickens, I guess. Unless you roll on an Open sever.

That explains it. I'm on two open rvr servers, Praag and Dark Crag.

Is it the same with rank 30s in t2?

Havelock on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Roruz, Do you want to start grinding Inf in our early 30's for t4 y/n

tyrannus on
    edited April 2009
    I believe you can go have two tiers open to you on those servers. Core player talking here, because that shit sounds terrible.

EDIT: Depends on our Inf progress in Tier 3. I'd probably just wait until I get kicked out.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    I believe you can go have two tiers open to you on those servers. Core player talking here, because that shit sounds terrible.

You have no idea.

Trying to take Mandreds with a full WB while it's being guarded by a handful of rank 30s sucks ass.

Dwarf ass.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009

You have no idea.

Trying to take Mandreds with a full WB while it's being guarded by a handful of rank 30s sucks ass.

Dwarf ass.

Wait...what?

How is that fun?

McCow42 on
    edited April 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »

You have no idea.

Dwarf ass.

Wait...what?

How is that fun?

It...it isn't.

It's par for the course on Praag/Dark Crag. The cutoff is 32 I believe. But you'll get a ton of rank 30-31 players just acting like douchebags.

You mean to tell me that t1 rvr on Core doesn't have rank 20-21 players rolling in and being dicks to people in Festenplaz?

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    In Core you are limited to the leveling curve. It's a little over ten levels per bracket. Overlap, of course. But a level 20 would be a chicken and get one-shot by any player in Tier 1.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited April 2009
    Eh, I think I made you guys think that rank 30s (as in, 30-39) were in t2. I meant to say that players with ranks 30-31 were in t2.

Edit: Nevermind, open rvr servers are as shitty as I thought they were.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    McCow42 wrote: »

You have no idea.

Dwarf ass.

Wait...what?

How is that fun?

It...it isn't.

It's par for the course on Praag/Dark Crag. The cutoff is 32 I believe. But you'll get a ton of rank 30-31 players just acting like douchebags.

You mean to tell me that t1 rvr on Core doesn't have rank 20-21 players rolling in and being dicks to people in Festenplaz?

No. You chicken at 12 (T1), 22 (T2) and 32 (T3).

Remind me never to roll on those servers.

McCow42 on
This discussion has been closed.