As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Land of the Dead Beckons Us! (Resubscribe NOW!)

• HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Remind me to transfer my characters to Core servers, because from reading this I think the game would be much more enjoyable on Core than on Open RvR.

Havelock on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    I'm a bit shocked you didn't know about the server rulesets.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whelp, my desktop machine died today, so that just about wraps it up for my Warhammering for the next month.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

I sort of signed up to the Open RvR because a buddy of mine did the same when we were transfering from the now-dead RP-RvR servers (Chaos Wastes and Reikland, I think). I just never really read the whole ruleset in its entirety.

I'm seriously considering transfering characters to Core, though I don't know what that will cost me.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    There are currently no paid transfers going on.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You should just start over. The first 20 levels are arguably the funnest part of the game anyways.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    havelock, what level are your characters? If you're in T2 you can reroll pretty quick. You and your friend can also join up with a PA guild.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. I like how populated and active Dark Crag is at most hours, but the rank 40's in Tier 3 can be really annoying.

Plus most Dark Crag players are really stupid.

chasehatesbears on
  • KG3000KG3000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You should just start over. The first 20 levels are arguably the funnest part of the game anyways.

And this is why I have a horrible case of altitis.

KG3000 on
    What?
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've got some lowbie Order/Destro characters lying around a few servers myself. We could jive, turkey, alt-wise, if you dig what I'm saying.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2009
    In Core you are limited to the leveling curve. It's a little over ten levels per bracket. Overlap, of course. But a level 20 would be a chicken and get one-shot by any player in Tier 1.

Saw a chicken running around near Mandred's. Tossed a quick dot, and...

Skorngrim_018.png

Score!

Echo on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hahaha! Nice one!

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Whelp, my desktop machine died today, so that just about wraps it up for my Warhammering for the next month.

D:

On the bright side, when you're back, you may be frothing to play again and Bright Wizards will be spilling tears as we tear through their keeps.

If you froth. Do you froth?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009
    I'm very afraid of Tier 4. Shit, Tier 3 is what made me quit the first time.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm very afraid of Tier 4
    Be brave, it ain't so bad once you hit 40 (my sig is way out of date, been 40 for a week or two now). The way people talk on the various message boards, you might think that you just OMGWTFASPLODE the minute you step into T4 oRvR, and it's just not the case. Pit of Shades / Rain of Fire seriously is bloody well everywhere though. If you can manage to turn on effects in oRvR, your survivability will go way up. If you spend most of your time PUGing, now is the time to start putting out feelers to guilds that are active in T4. Your enjoyment of the game will increase significantly if you're running with a regular group on voice comms.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited April 2009
    There's definitely a negative feedback loop of sorts going on.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

D:

On the bright side, when you're back, you may be frothing to play again and Bright Wizards will be spilling tears as we tear through their keeps.

I froth when I have to build a makeshift computer out of 5 years worth of spare parts to recover some work I didn't back up last night.

Jasconius on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Echo wrote: »

Skorngrim_018.png

Score!
    Dude, you should be leaving chickens for your DoKs / WPs! Only they can turn 7500 points of chicken damage into a 7500-point AoE heal. :winky:

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
    edited April 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    In Core you are limited to the leveling curve. It's a little over ten levels per bracket. Overlap, of course. But a level 20 would be a chicken and get one-shot by any player in Tier 1.

Skorngrim_018.png

Score!

Nice. I don't have a screenshot, but I took out at least three or four r40 Order chickens who were watching Order siege Mandreds with a hellblaster cannon on the very top turret a week or two ago. I got half a renown level out of it.

As for the other stuff:

I have an alt WH on Phoenix that I've never started, but I'm already three alts deep in Dark Crag and four deep on Praag. Hence me wanting to transfer rather than start fresh. The highest rank character I have is my WH on Praag, who's rank 32. The rest are floating between 15 and 24.

I'll just start afresh, I guess.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Roll Destro on PT. Transfer the WH to Volkmar or something.

Be gay with us.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

It doesn't seem as bad this time around for me. Maybe it's because I'm resigned to dying, I'm a slayer after all. But it may also be because I'm a smarter, more experienced player this time around.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, I wish I could play the game for more than a couple hours without it freezing my computer up... :x

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited April 2009
    The fact they haven't balanced ranged, particularly the usual suspects, is very unsettling.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    all destro are pretty fucking stupid, for some reason, on PT. it kinda sucks running the t2 and t3 scenarios.

tyrannus on
  • CharaChara Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So messing with the trial I am about ready to throw 15$ into this to give it another try. Only thing is all my characters are listed as ineligible to transfer to another server, I am hoping this is because I am on the free trial thing. Would suck to have to reroll on badlands. :|

Chara on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

D:

I froth when I have to build a makeshift computer out of 5 years worth of spare parts to recover some work I didn't back up last night.

I'd froth at that too.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would like to state that back in the day in Daoc Ranged classes fucked shit up, and after some time were eventualy balanced. You just gotta give em some time. Eventualy as a mdps or even tank class you will see the love and actualy feel useful in keep sieges.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    T3 has decent RVR in the upper half of the bracket, but terrible PVE. T4 you pretty much ignore RVR until you're 40, but the levels just seem to fly compared to T3. Maybe it's because both my WL and my buddy's WH got some AoE abilities, but all of the sudden we were farm monsters. I'd run through a camp of +2 kill collector mobs, dragging them behind a tree, then he'd use his "this ability hits 3 targets" tactic, I'd spam my AoE DoTs and strikes and we'd watch our EXP bar move as the entire group melted. Combined with the kill collector's added bonus we went from 35 to 36 in half an hour, it was silly.

Oh, and let's not even forget the arena PQ in Black Craig. With a tank and an AoE healer that shit is non-stop experience and influence. Also, the only instance that an MMO has beat CoX in the number of mobs they throw at you, we probably left several gold worth of copper there just because you can't loot corpses fast enough. That PQ forces you to move around simply because two groups' worth of pulls will put so many corpses on screen the engine will stop drawing anything further than 5 feet away from you.

Glal on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    On the destro is fucking stupid front i present the following story.

So today I zoned into a IC siege on my black orc. 42 destro, 12 order. I arrive to find everything done in the PQ for both sides, with destro holding the monolith and order holding the temple. So i head to temple and encounter... noone. Just the group of order, i die. So i figure perhaps im just out of sych with the offense. I start moving around the area looking for one. We dont have one. So I ask in general why we are not hitting the temple.

The response I get is because we need to stop feeding them renown, and by holding the monolith we force them to do something, why should we try and complete the PQ as we only have a shot at one bag, blah blah.

Apparently pointing out we outnumber them 3:1, even if they took the monolith they do not have enough people to complete the PQ anyway was the wrong thing to say.

Chat decided to should suicide the temple. So i do, and start calling out numbers of people in it. Usually 2. FINALLY some people get a clue and with a whopping 4 other people the temple is ours. We still fail to kill the general however.

People are such useless cowards in these games.

Detharin on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Order is equally stupid. The first time I participated in IC must've been some miraculous once-in-a-lifetime occurance, because despite not being able to kill the Stage II lord we won Stage I four times. Two warbands, each taking their own side, and despite some iffy coordination we eventually came through.

Second time though... second time I log in, there's like 5 different sub-party sized private warbands and no one is doing PQs, everyone is just fighting Destro in the middle. I wanted to bitchslap every single person.

Glal on
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    we'll I'm continuing my "trail" period and played a bit last night.

At first, my longtime friend wasn't on so I worked on my Dwarf Engineer and found out that I really like the class. I've always been a fan of the engineer profession in Wow and well, this just seems fitting. I just wish I could be a gnome instead of a smelly dwarf. Still found a sutable name for my Dwarf Engineer. My Infamous " Toolbox" was not available so I had to go rank up the stakes here so I'm bringing fear to the destro's side as the infamous " Toolrack"! I level up to rank 6 and did a pvp quest/scenario (not sure how you call those) and it went pretty well, mostly because I would just get the high ground and shoot them with my turret from a distance.

Once my friend came up online, we went back to our Destro childs, and we continue our greenskin adventures (he as an Orc choppa, me as a Goblin's Shaman). We came to the greenskin Chap 2 public quest (I'm really starting to like those public quest, what a nice idea anyway) and our duo completely dominated the play. we had to kill 80 of some kind of small beast so all I would do is pull them using a instant cast dot I have, bring like 4 or 5 at the same time and bring them to the orc choppa. He would then do some kind of whirmwhil(sp?) attack and get the most out of them while I provide melee dps bonus buff and some heal. Rince and repeat and no other combinaison could match up. We did the quest 3 times (enough to raise our influence bar to the max level for the best reward back at the camp).

Still a lot of fun. I'm wondering if the rest of the game is as fun. We still have a few days left on our trail (including the weekend) to get a good idea, but obviously, we only get a taste at the low level stuff since we are cap at rank 10 on this trail period. So far, I've tried the engineers on the order side, and on the destruction side I've tried the Magus, the Shaman and the DoK.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • ProfessorPolycarpProfessorPolycarp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guibs wrote: »
    ...I'm continuing my "trail" period...
    I think you mean 'trial'. Unless your experience also included party members dying of dysentery and not being able to loot nearly enough buffalo meat.

ProfessorPolycarp on
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guibs wrote: »
    ...I'm continuing my "trail" period...
    I think you mean 'trial'. Unless your experience also included party members dying of dysentery and not being able to loot nearly enough buffalo meat.

yeah, you got me right there. Hmmmm Buffalo meat... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr *homer style*

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

I sort of signed up to the Open RvR because a buddy of mine did the same when we were transfering from the now-dead RP-RvR servers (Chaos Wastes and Reikland, I think). I just never really read the whole ruleset in its entirety.

I'm seriously considering transfering characters to Core, though I don't know what that will cost me.

As far as I know. you can't change between server rulesets. And as someone said, there are no paid transfers.

But honestly, I love it on Dark Crag. I can find a SC every hour of the day, guilds are active and Destro is really building up a good alliance and being able to push back the embedded Order here. A balanced, high population holds more value to me than a few higher levels in ORVR.

meeker on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I tried to create a 10day free trial account but it asks for a code. Not the security code, I typed that one in, there's another code, where do I get it? Ugh, is this one of those free trial accounts that only works if you know someone who already is playing it and they give you the code?

sumwar on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sumwar wrote: »
    I tried to create a 10day free trial account but it asks for a code. Not the security code, I typed that one in, there's another code, where do I get it? Ugh, is this one of those free trial accounts that only works if you know someone who already is playing it and they give you the code?

I don't know how the non-referral free trials work, but if you PM me your e-mail I can send you a referral and you can try it that way.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited April 2009
    meeker wrote: »

As far as I know. you can't change between server rulesets. And as someone said, there are no paid transfers.

But honestly, I love it on Dark Crag. I can find a SC every hour of the day, guilds are active and Destro is really building up a good alliance and being able to push back the embedded Order here. A balanced, high population holds more value to me than a few higher levels in ORVR.

Don't get me wrong, for as much as I can bitch about Dark Crag, I love it too. It's populated and something is always happening in orvr. The only catch is that you can have a bunch of high levels in low tiers run the train on you.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009

Be gay with us.

You want me to throw in with you to oppose the might of the Candymancers? This is madness.

If I roll Destro on PT as opposed to Order, what do you guys need class-wise?

Havelock on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Be gay with us.

You want me to throw in with you to oppose the might of the Candymancers? This is madness.

If I roll Destro on PT as opposed to Order, what do you guys need class-wise?

But, the Candymancers are on Badlands. So you wouldn't be putting up much opposition to us there.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    got my Magus up to 26 last night on Iron Rock.

did some SCs, though destro seems mostly harmless when it comes to that. and order had about 2 (maybe more) warbands running the T3 Orvr, so that wasn't much fun either.

anyways, if any of you play on IR give me a shout, i want to do Gunbad some time :P

Feldorn, 26 Magus.

Feldorn on
This discussion has been closed.