As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Land of the Dead Beckons Us! (Resubscribe NOW!)

• HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Havelock wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Roll Destro on PT. Transfer the WH to Volkmar or something.

Be gay with us.

You want me to throw in with you to oppose the might of the Candymancers? This is madness.

If I roll Destro on PT as opposed to Order, what do you guys need class-wise?

But, the Candymancers are on Badlands. So you wouldn't be putting up much opposition to us there.

Bwuh? Why do I remember someone saying that there was a PA guild for Order on PT?

No matter, I'll transfer the WH to someplace else. Or copy him to the test server.

Havelock on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So order took down the big TZ on Eltharion.

I sure am glad that I don't play on the Euro servers.

Fast forward to about 1:30 to sum up the fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYY12q2eQ_0

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • f-k-tf-k-t Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    I still enjoy them, but generally have a guildmate or two to try to swing things with.

The uphill battle with a few friends is actually pretty fun, especially when it works.

Also, it appears that dynamite and caltrops will *not* be in 1.2.1. Mythic pulled them in response to testers' balance concerns. Seems fair to me, especially as caltrops were apparently ridiculously powerful.

How does one get into the test server?

Must I make a compact with the Ruinous Powers?

Is that a mix between a contract and pact?

I thought it was a word, and then I Googled for confirmation.

There is no such word

As a person with a BA in English, I feel ashamed.

It's totally a word. Com-pact (n.): An agreement or a covenant.

Despite being three pages and a day too late, I am compelled to post this reply. As a fellow English BA, I know that these things haunt a man.

f-k-t on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    @Avynte:

That music never fails to bring a smile to my face and hilarity to whatever it goes with.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    meeker wrote: »
    I'm a bit shocked you didn't know about the server rulesets.

I sort of signed up to the Open RvR because a buddy of mine did the same when we were transfering from the now-dead RP-RvR servers (Chaos Wastes and Reikland, I think). I just never really read the whole ruleset in its entirety.

I'm seriously considering transfering characters to Core, though I don't know what that will cost me.

As far as I know. you can't change between server rulesets. And as someone said, there are no paid transfers.

But honestly, I love it on Dark Crag. I can find a SC every hour of the day, guilds are active and Destro is really building up a good alliance and being able to push back the embedded Order here. A balanced, high population holds more value to me than a few higher levels in ORVR.

What is the difference in ruleset ?

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So taking keeps via the "infiltrate" route (rr30 mdps entering the lord room, getting groupheals from the outside) doesn't let the rest of warband, still at the outer walls with the doors at ~73%, roll at all eh? Those choppas will be in full Annihilator in no time!

Panda4You on
    edited April 2009
    f-k-t wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »
    I still enjoy them, but generally have a guildmate or two to try to swing things with.

The uphill battle with a few friends is actually pretty fun, especially when it works.

Also, it appears that dynamite and caltrops will *not* be in 1.2.1. Mythic pulled them in response to testers' balance concerns. Seems fair to me, especially as caltrops were apparently ridiculously powerful.

How does one get into the test server?

Must I make a compact with the Ruinous Powers?

Is that a mix between a contract and pact?

I thought it was a word, and then I Googled for confirmation.

There is no such word

As a person with a BA in English, I feel ashamed.

It's totally a word. Com-pact (n.): An agreement or a covenant.

Despite being three pages and a day too late, I am compelled to post this reply. As a fellow English BA, I know that these things haunt a man.

Fuck yes. I knew that word was floating around in my brain for a reason.

I am redeemed.

Havelock on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Panda4You wrote: »
    So taking keeps via the "infiltrate" route (rr30 mdps entering the lord room, getting groupheals from the outside) doesn't let the rest of warband, still at the outer walls with the doors at ~73%, roll at all eh? Those choppas will be in full Annihilator in no time!
    If you're already one door down and your MDPS has killed everyone inside what's the point of rushing the lord?

Glal on
    edited April 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    If you're already one door down and your MDPS has killed everyone inside what's the point of rushing the lord?

Because it's there?

Also, lewtz?

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    As in, why should the rest of the warband forsake their chance to roll when there's no urgency in killing the lord?
    "Don't worry guys, we did all the shit work outside, but you can have the bags."

Glal on
  • MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Detharin wrote: »
    The response I get is because we need to stop feeding them renown...

This. What the fuck is this? I hear it all the time. It doesn't help anyone win, it doesn't get you anything, it's not fun. I understand why players might want to be effective in what they do, but I always hear this in the same context that you did; as an excuse to turtle and not take any risks.

Goddamn cowards.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Guibs wrote: »
    meeker wrote: »
    I'm a bit shocked you didn't know about the server rulesets.

I sort of signed up to the Open RvR because a buddy of mine did the same when we were transfering from the now-dead RP-RvR servers (Chaos Wastes and Reikland, I think). I just never really read the whole ruleset in its entirety.

I'm seriously considering transfering characters to Core, though I don't know what that will cost me.

As far as I know. you can't change between server rulesets. And as someone said, there are no paid transfers.

But honestly, I love it on Dark Crag. I can find a SC every hour of the day, guilds are active and Destro is really building up a good alliance and being able to push back the embedded Order here. A balanced, high population holds more value to me than a few higher levels in ORVR.

What is the difference in ruleset ?

Open RVR - No Bolster in ORVR lakes, You can go down one tier and not be chickened. /RVR active all the time except Capitals and starting areas.

Core - /RVR active only in lakes or when activated. Bolster in Lakes and Scenarios

RP - Roleplaying Rules along with core

RP/RVR - Open RVR with Roleplaying rulesets.

meeker on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Glal wrote: »

Actually, it can be done with ZERO doors down on some keeps.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    edited April 2009

This. What the fuck is this? I hear it all the time. It doesn't help anyone win, it doesn't get you anything, it's not fun. I understand why players might want to be effective in what they do, but I always hear this in the same context that you did; as an excuse to turtle and not take any risks.

Goddamn cowards.

Feeding them renown is generally when you keep dying without recieving any renown of your own. And things do not look to be changing any time soon. So it means you either need someone to take some leadership, or to drop some of the dead weight by going somewhere else and not telling the people outside your warband/guild/group.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009

Goddamn cowards.

We can't all be heroes.

But yeah, I hate that crap. I've had a scenario fall apart simply because we were getting farmed at the Destro spawn point five minutes into Morkaine. It's not like we couldn't have fought through it and made a come back, but peeps were leaving in droves because of the "i dont want to get farmed lol destro sucks lol" mentality that has been known to seize many a Destro player's mind on Dark Crag.

Once that has set in, it's hard to stop the stampede to the exit.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009

Goddamn cowards.

We can't all be heroes.

But yeah, I hate that crap. I've had a scenario fall apart simply because we were getting farmed at the Destro spawn point five minutes into Morkaine. It's not like we couldn't have fought through it and made a come back, but peeps were leaving in droves because of the "i dont want to get farmed lol destro sucks lol" mentality that has been known to seize many a Destro player's mind on Dark Crag.

Sometimes thats a good thing, since the people that drop scenarios are the pussy ass bitches who throw daggers and run behind the healers for protection hoping their attacker will change targets.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's that. It's often used less as a "hey, that might not be a sound attack plan" thing and more of a "game over, game over we're all gonna die man" thing.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
    edited April 2009

Goddamn cowards.

We can't all be heroes.

Sometimes thats a good thing, since the people that drop scenarios are the pussy ass bitches who throw daggers and run behind the healers for protection hoping their attacker will change targets.

Oh definately. I didn't add that after those malcontents had left that we received new forces and proceeded to own face. It was a pretty big comeback, and we very nearly didn't win. But to pull it off after almost half of the scenario being a demoralizing shitfest, that was really awesome.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, it's that. It's often used less as a "hey, that might not be a sound attack plan" thing and more of a "game over, game over we're all gonna die man" thing.

God, fuck Hudson. Fuck him straight to hell.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    Apparently he's a model for MMO players these days. In fact...

Hudsons...

As in: ”Hey Hudson get the fuck behind and watch the postern. They won’t swarm in if you’re FUCKING PAYING ATTENTION!”

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    That music never fails to bring a smile to my face and hilarity to whatever it goes with.

Haha, yeah, some of the other videos were all serious business, but I felt that one summed up the situation best :P

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So yeah, Guild Upgrade preview that is old and may have been talked about but I completely missed and only say it mentioned today on a blog.

http://herald.warhammeronline.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=724

I did the math and I hope it's wrong....

The -base- upkeep is 20 silver for 5 minutes, 2.4 an hour, 57.6 a day, 403.2 a week, 30 days is 1728 or 4 weeks is 1612.8. That seems a bit pricey without any upgrades at all.

Other stuff that bugs me...

# Banker: An NPC that allows players to access their Personal Vault.
    # Guild Vault Keeper: An NPC that allows players to access their Guild Vault.

There doesn't need to be two.

# Door Spikes: Attaches Spikes to the Keep Doors so any melee attacks damage the attacker.
    # Door Barrier: Doors get a magical barrier that absorbs a certain percentage of magic-attack damage.

Door spikes are a great way to make the MDPS feel even more useless. Yay. The barrier I have mixed feelings on.

Finally, for the amount of cash you spend, if you run out in the middle of the night, if you don't have however much it is within 5 minutes, you lose it all. Compounded by the fact that most opposition like to hit the cities while everyone is asleep or at work. So either someone snatches your keep or the enemy takes it undefended. I realize it has to be costly, but those timers should be hourly at the least, and the costs need to be slightly more sane.

Did I just miss this discussion a few weeks back, or did no one mention it, because I can't recall any discussion?

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    It was discussed a bit, but not in detail. The cost is pretty huge.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A guild vault is the guilds vault and the personal vault is your vault. I think it would be nice to put stuff in my own vault and not have to go all the way to the city to do so.

And as a MDPS player, I don't usually attack the keep door.

Edit: Wow, that is pretty expensive. A guild has got to be pretty active to maintain the upkeep by the looks of it.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A guild vault is the guilds vault and the personal vault is your vault. I think it would be nice to put stuff in my own vault and not have to go all the way to the city to do so.

And as a MDPS player, I don't usually attack the keep door.

Edit: Wow, that is pretty expensive. A guild has got to be pretty active to maintain the upkeep by the looks of it.

No what I mean is you could have one NPC with the little speech bubble with buttons marked YOur vault and Guild Vault. Make it so only those with access to the Guild Vault can even see the Guild Vault button. Making 2 separate guys is just to tax people more for upkeep. The price is already absurd.

EDIT Or you have to farm farm farm, which will get old fast and the gold farmers will try and make another attempt at a foothold in WAR. Now that there's things that would actually require huge amounts of gold unlike day one, they might actually succeed.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    If there's no oil/AoE then MDPS are pretty damn effective on doors. With a WB easily the same damage as the ram itself.

Glal on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh you have to pay tax for them? I did not see that. That sucks.

If it didn't have a tax to them I would say that having two would cut down the possible mistakes people might make when accessing one NPC. Like wanting to put something in your personal bank but accidently putting in the guild vault and you can't get it out cause you're not high enough in the guild to take stuff out. So you got to ask someone that is.

Stupid stuff like that is bound to happen with one NPC.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would be more concerned about the costs if the game already had a ton of goldsinks. But I never seem to have to spend it on anything but transportation.

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009
    If you are in a guild active enough to be upgrading keeps like that, you would always be better off just using a Flight Master to the city and back, 50c for city trip, and 45s for flight back to the T4 zone. Using your Tome to bind you at the Warcamp before you leave brings the cost down to 50c. There is no reason a guild should ever spend the money for either of those bank/vault keepers.

The only reason I dont mind all these insane buffs to defenses is because they cost so goddamn much, if they decide to implement them and lower their price to something guilds have up permanently, I would probably quit ORvR altogether, which is the point I'm close to already.

And all these buffs to keep defenses, and not one fucking buff to keep seiging other than increasing the fucking HP on the goddamn RAM? How about making it actually rewarding to get 90-100% swings, instead of making it so that the fastest DPS the RAM can spit out is everyone hitting it at 60%, and even then, you'r barely doing better having 4 RAM operaters than just having them melee the door. Along with generally shit seige weapon UI where you cant see use your chat at all.

And I'm so fucking sick of all the whiny little pansies that dont want people to get rewarded for taking undefended objectives in the RvR lake. I'm sorry I ruined your dreams of an epic stand off where you get all the rewards and advantages and all I had to do was walk around you and taking what you WERENT defending, but thats how strategy works. You attack where they are weak, and avoid them where they are strong.

You want to sit in your keep with your oil and soon to be buffed NPCs and doors, and have waves of renown crash against the gates while you laugh gleefully, you better make it worth other peoples while. Try adding to the game instead of taking away.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    @Gnome:

Yeah, the attackers really need something to make it worthwhile. It's relatively easy to reward good defense, but not so easy to reward attacks. The thing is, if you stick a blanket reward on attacks, it will only make attacking undefended keeps more appealing, since it's a quicker path to the rewards.

I was thinking of something tied to the defender's actions.
    Crazy idea: How about a renown tick every 5/10/15 oil drops? This way, a defended keep actually gives more renown to BOTH sides. If you attack an undefended keep, you get less renown, but a successful keep take with defenders dropping oil (Which is NEEDED for defense) gives good renown.

Maybe add another small renown tick for killing all bottom floor npcs.

Basically make it so that attacking a defended keep isn't a useless proposition after a certain amount of defense.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And I'm so fucking sick of all the whiny little pansies that dont want people to get rewarded for taking undefended objectives in the RvR lake. I'm sorry I ruined your dreams of an epic stand off where you get all the rewards and advantages and all I had to do was walk around you and taking what you WERENT defending, but thats how strategy works. You attack where they are weak, and avoid them where they are strong.

You want to sit in your keep with your oil and soon to be buffed NPCs and doors, and have waves of renown crash against the gates while you laugh gleefully, you better make it worth other peoples while. Try adding to the game instead of taking away.
    :^:

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    @Gnome:

Yeah, the attackers really need something to make it worthwhile. It's relatively easy to reward good defense, but not so easy to reward attacks. The thing is, if you stick a blanket reward on attacks, it will only make attacking undefended keeps more appealing, since it's a quicker path to the rewards.

I was thinking of something tied to the defender's actions.
    Crazy idea: How about a renown tick every 5/10/15 oil drops? This way, a defended keep actually gives more renown to BOTH sides. If you attack an undefended keep, you get less renown, but a successful keep take with defenders dropping oil (Which is NEEDED for defense) gives good renown.

Maybe add another small renown tick for killing all bottom floor npcs.

Basically make it so that attacking a defended keep isn't a useless proposition after a certain amount of defense.

Oh God I can see the warband chatter now.

"OMG DONT USE OILS THER GETTING MOAR RENOWN?!?!?!"

But yeah, it would be nice if attackers received more renown during seiges. Right now, it's really just stupid to even consider attacking a defended keep when undefended ones are open in the tier.

chasehatesbears on
    edited April 2009
    I'm more annoyed when it's not even an overwhelming force. You're assaulting a defended keep and after a while realize that the defenders outnumber the attackers... yet they all sit inside and do fuck-all except drop AoEs and oil.
    What the hell. Go out and fight and maybe have some fun. :|

Glal on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    But yeah, it would be nice if attackers received more renown during seiges. Right now, it's really just stupid to even consider attacking a defended keep when undefended ones are open in the tier.
    If you change "defended" to "heavily defended", I can agree. If there are close to, as many, or more people defending than you have attacking, it's probably not worth the time unless you've got a seriously geared hardcore crew. Taking a defended keep is still entirely possible as long as your warband isn't composed mostly of lowbies / muppet players, you still have a decent numbers advantage, and you focus on rushing the defending players once you're inside the second door. Maintaining your numbers advantage is all about having a strong, functional postern watch. It's satisfying when you take a defended keep, but sometimes you gotta know when it's just not going to happen, and walk away.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Haha, yeah the (more often unintentional than not) "bait-n-switch" where you get farmed by pit/rain of skill for 10 mins and then run away and take the other keep in under 5 mins, before the other side understand to relocate their forces, seem to be more or less standard practice now.

Panda4You on
    edited April 2009
    If you are in a guild active enough to be upgrading keeps like that, you would always be better off just using a Flight Master to the city and back, 50c for city trip, and 45s for flight back to the T4 zone. Using your Tome to bind you at the Warcamp before you leave brings the cost down to 50c. There is no reason a guild should ever spend the money for either of those bank/vault keepers.

The only reason I dont mind all these insane buffs to defenses is because they cost so goddamn much, if they decide to implement them and lower their price to something guilds have up permanently, I would probably quit ORvR altogether, which is the point I'm close to already.

And all these buffs to keep defenses, and not one fucking buff to keep seiging other than increasing the fucking HP on the goddamn RAM? How about making it actually rewarding to get 90-100% swings, instead of making it so that the fastest DPS the RAM can spit out is everyone hitting it at 60%, and even then, you'r barely doing better having 4 RAM operaters than just having them melee the door. Along with generally shit seige weapon UI where you cant see use your chat at all.

All of this. I agree with all of this. It's bullshit that they tacked on things to make it more difficult to get into a keep when it's already difficult to get into one that's lightly defended, and then went and did jack shit for siege weapons outside of buffing the rams HP.

Shit, re-reading that makes me think that they did that as an afterthought.

At least it costs an arm and a leg to maintain that stuff.

Also, as a player who primarily rolls mdps, I never go near the keep doors. Not even when it looks like there's no one inside the keep, because all it takes is one bastard to buy that oil, rush inside to set up shop and make me a rez burden on the healers.

Havelock on
    edited April 2009
    And we come full circle to the need for tunneling, siege towers, destructible walls, and orcapults.

Also doom divers.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We have all had those times where you are just getting raped at a defended keep you arent killing defenders, cant get a ram up etc... those times you leave and go else where and make sure your postern guards arent morons.

As well we all have had those times where the keep battle is just epic, you pull back they rush out lots of death then back to the keep again and it lasts for awhile and much fun is had by all. THose I would like to see happen more often but times like that are usually dictated by the players. Some days you have defenders that will go out and run you down, sometimes they turtle, sometimes your attacking force is full of fuckwits who stop on the stairs and get melted by aoe..

Ahh I lost whatever point I had..

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2009
    Hey, if they don't use the oil, more power to 'em I say. Let them not defend, I say.

Hiryu02 on
    edited April 2009
    sometimes your attacking force is full of fuckwits who stop on the stairs and get melted by aoe..

TBH almost all of the keep sieges I've been in die this way. Doors down, we push inside, and all the tanks sit in the lobby with their thumbs in their asses waving to the nth Bright Wizard who just ran through the postern.

I'm trying to figure out where all the players who played tanks went, because it's rare to see someone run a tank right, at least on Destro in Dark Crag.

Havelock on
This discussion has been closed.