As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Big Street Fighter Tournament thread *Sign ups are closed*

• James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    James Dekk wrote: »
    And I have no idea what happened with those raging demons. I always hold up when I see they're coming, but Sol said I could've jumped over them and didn't. Weird.

Yeah, it LOOKED like you would be able to jump over them but you couldn't...twice. That's bizarre.

There was a decent amount of input delay. It definitely threw off timing for both of us.

The raging demons were just strange. I usually use d.mk to buffer into it and screwed up both times. Especially that last one where I fireball FADC into raging and accidentally stick out my foot.

I had two victories due to flukey raging demons and he missed a ton of overhead into jab combos, most likely due to our input lag. I missed almost all of my tatsu into FP--> demon flip but that doesn't really effect me as much. Honestly, I'm pretty sure if there wasn't lag James would have won.

Eh – the lag did throw me off a bit but it doesn't make up for the other mistakes I made. I'm pretty confident that you're the better player at the moment.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    guys, you're freaking me out here

someone call someone else a scrub and tell them to learn to play

Evil Multifarious on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

UR A SCRUB LRN2PLAYLOL
    Did I do it right?

solsovly on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

UR A SCRUB LRN2PLAYLOL
    Did I do it right?

Fails for lack of use of "family man" and the going home of.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congrats Sol!
    Way to use Dekk's lag switch against him olololol

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sol is a beast =D

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Signups for next tournaments soon?

SabreMau on
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »

If we do 3 man teams let's make team saikyo, i call blanka!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

I'd call Sakura, but I seem to be favouring Gouken ever since we fought... :D

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited April 2009

You gotta let sabre have sakura man, he's our ticket to win.

TheStig on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about the crew from the SE++ tournament against you guys?

The Sneak! on
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

We prefer a challenge so we'll stick to G&T guys for now :winky:

King Kong on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congrats to Sol. Here's your second belt. Wear them both proudly!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3863/pasf4beltxbl.png

Yes, they will be happening soon. I need to get one more program back on to my new computer and I'll be 100% ready to go. As soon as that's done, I'll update the bracket to reflect all of the tourneys. I'm also still accepting requests for possible tournament ideas.

Right now, I'm going to run the following for sure:

-64/32 player single elimination tourney
    -16/8 team (48/24 player) team single elimination tourney
    -32 player suicide tourney
    -8 team (40 player) team league w/playoffs

This is a lot of tourneys to run and maybe a little too ambitious. We'll see. I'll update the original posts to reflect the rules, participants, and starting times. I'd also like to try and do some single day style tourneys where everyone who wants to play meets at a specific time and plays out the tourney in a single hour.

In all likelihood, I'll have to create a brand new thread and reserve the first five to seven posts to keep everything organized. It shouldn't be much different than what you see here though. If anyone wants to chip in art, recording matches, or is willing to help out in any other way, please PM me. I'll definitely need help keeping all the entrants in line as my PM box will probably fill up rather quickly.

Anyways, for now just keep practicing your SF skillz. The tournaments realistically won't be starting until the beginning of next month. That gives us two weeks to finalize all of the tournament types and set up a strict but fair set of rules to keep things running smoothly.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Suicide tourney?

Sounds like fun.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited April 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Suicide tourney?

Sounds like fun.

Oh yeah, it will probably be the most entertaining to watch, but the hardest to play. :winky:

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    There wasn't any PS3 SE++ tournament. My Sakura plays on the PS3 side of things.

SabreMau on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What is a suicide tournament? Do losers have to commit seppuku? Is it what super hardcore players say is a real single elimination tournament?

Also, if you like I can help manage a tournament or two to take some of the administering off your hands. Preferably point based swiss systems, but anything will do.

ChaosHat on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Nice fights. Akuma winning the tourney makes me pretty satisfied. Congrats on the win.

So do we send requests for the tourney when the rules are set up? Cause I'd love a piece of this action. Teams, no teams whatever.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You gotta let sabre have sakura man, he's our ticket to win.

Exactly why I didn't call her. :P

That said, there's the whole thing about Dan originally being trained by Gouken, until he found out Dan's reasons for learning his fighting style... Honourary member of Team Saikyo? :D

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it still round 1? I haven't followed this thread at all.

I want in on the next tourney. When?

4rch3nemy on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    King Kong wrote: »

We prefer a challenge so we'll stick to G&T guys for now :winky:

bring it.

The Sneak! on
    edited April 2009
    OK guys, here are the proposed rules for the upcoming tournaments.

SET
    Single Elimination Tournament (SET)

Here are the current rules:

-Single elimination style tournament.
    -All characters are selectable. That includes Gouken, Akuma, and Seth. There is no reason to have them banned at this time. They might be in the future if it is proven that those characters are broken.
    -All games will be played with a 99 second time limit and the rounds set to 5.
    -A player advances after winning two out of three games.
    -After a game is over, the winner must keep his character while the loser has the option of changing.
    -Any controller or arcade stick is allowed. However, turbo functions are NOT allowed. It is very difficult to prove their use, so once again, we will be using an honor system. Don't use turbo!

Tournament progression:

-Once the bracket is posted, find your opponent and either PM them here or send them a message via XBL.
    -Establish a time to play that works for both players.
    -Play out your matches according to the rules above.
    -Post up the results in the forum in the following fashion:

SF4 360 SET:

MNC Dover (Zangief) < TheSuperWoot (Chun-Li)
    MNC Dover (Sagat) > TheSuperWoot (Chun-Li)
    MNC Dover (Sagat) < TheSuperWoot (Chun-Li)

TheSuperWoot > MNC Dover 2-1

-Failure to post up your results properly will be an extremely stern talking to by me. Seriously, it makes it easier for me to pick out results from the posts this way.

Other notes:

-This is a friendly PA tourney and as such, we are relying on an honor system. If you lose, you lose. Congratulate your opponent and cheer him on to win the whole thing. Seek revenge in the next tourney.
    -All match-ups have a three day window to be completed. Once a match has been completed, it is up to the players to send each other PM's or messages to start up their next match. If the opponent needs an extension, then it must be agreed upon by both players and it doesn't hold up the tournament.
    -In the case where one player has sent repeated PM's or messages with no response, then the player that is sending the messages must send a PM to both me and the opponent, as well as post in the forum. If no response is heard with 48 hours then the player who sent the message to me will be automatically advanced to the next round.
    -If two players can't connect to each other and it's still the first round of the tournament, then one player will be reseeded to the opposite end of the bracket. If there are connection issues after the first round, then one of the following two options must be followed:
    1)One player forfeits.
    2)Both players play against a neutral 3rd party and based on the results of the match-ups, one player is eliminated.
    -These rules can be changed via player suggestions and my discretion.

TSET
    Team Single Elimination Tournament (TSET)

-Teams will be comprised of three players per team.
    -Team based single elimination style tournament.
    -Each team will assign it's players a slot numbered 1,2, or 3. This number will NOT change throughout the course of the tournament.
    -For each round of the tournament, each team's slot numbers will play against each other.
    -All characters are selectable. That includes Gouken, Akuma, and Seth. There is no reason to have them banned at this time. They might be in the future if it is proven that those characters are broken.
    -After a game is over, the winner must keep his character while the loser has the option of changing.
    -The first player to win 2 total matches will be declared the winner.
    -The team that has 2 victorious players will advance in the tournament.
    -Any controller or arcade stick is allowed. However, turbo functions are NOT allowed. It is very difficult to prove their use, so once again, we will be using an honor system. Don't use turbo!
    -Basically, the rules are identical to the Single Elimination Tournament with the only difference being that it's a total team result in order to move forward.

Tournament progression:

-Once the bracket is posted, find your opponents and either PM them here or send them a message via XBL/PSN to set up play times.
    -Establish a time to play that works for both teams.

SF4 PS3 TSET:

Team Omega Sauce vs Team Electric Saikyo's

1) MNC Dover > TheSuperWoot (2-1)
    2) Solsovly < Fizban140 (2-0)
    3) RuffNite < TheStig (2-1)

Team Electric Saikyo's > Team Omega Sauce (2-1)

-Failure to post up your results properly will be an extremely stern talking to by me. Seriously, it makes it easier for me to pick out results from the posts this way.

Other notes:

-This is a friendly PA tourney and as such, we are relying on an honor system. If you lose, you lose. Congratulate your opponents and cheer them on to win the whole thing. Seek revenge in the next tourney.
    -All match-ups have a five day window to be completed. Once a match has been completed, it is up to the players to send each other PM's or messages to start up their next match. If the opponent needs an extension, then it must be agreed upon by both players and it doesn't hold up the tournament.
    -In the case where one player has sent repeated PM's or messages with no response, then the player that is sending the messages must send a PM to both me and the opponent, as well as post in the forum. If no response is heard with 48 hours then the player who sent the message to me will be automatically be declare the winner in his match.
    -If two players can't connect to each other, then two players must switch slot numbers for that round of the tournament. If this doesn't solve the problem, then one of the following two options must be followed:
    1) One player forfeits.
    2) Both players play against a neutral 3rd party and based on the results of the match-ups, one player is eliminated.

SST
    Suicide Style Tournament (SST)

-32 player, single elimination style tournament.
    -Each round is a best of five games, with each game played as best of five rounds.
    -Each game has to be won with a different character forcing the winning player to have won with three different characters.
    -After a round is finished, the losing player gets to choose one character from the winning players three characters and eliminate them from further play. This will create a finals situation with both players having four characters eliminated from play.
    -The finals will follow the same rules as the rounds prior. This would mean both players would have to win three out of five games with 3 characters that haven't been eliminated in the four rounds prior.
    -Here's an example of a typical game:

-Ruffnite and The Sneak are playing each other in round one.

-Ruffnite starts out by choosing M.Bison and The Sneak chooses Ryu.

-Ruffnite wins the first match with a score of 3-1. Ruffnite now has to choose a different character that isn’t M.Bison while The Sneak can choose anyone he wants. Ruffnite chooses Ryu and The Sneak stays with Ryu.

-Ruffnite wins the second match with a score of 3-2. Ruffnite now must choose a third character that isn’t Ryu or M.Bison. Not wanting to risk having his best character Fei-Long possibly being eliminated, Ruffnite chooses Honda instead while The Sneak switches to his best character, Chun-Li to avoid elimination.

-The Sneak wins the third match 3-1. Ruffnite can choose anyone he wants again, except M.Bison or Ryu and The Sneak can choose anyone except Chun-Li. Ruffnite chooses Zangief and The Sneak goes back to Ryu.

-The Sneak wins the fourth match 3-0. Both players are now on the verge of elimination. Ruffnite again must choose another character that isn’t M.Bison or Ryu and The Sneak must choose a new character that isn’t Chun-Li or Ryu. Fearing elimination, Ruffnite pulls out Fei-Long and The Sneak goes with Ken.

-Ruffnite wins the fifth and final match 3-2.

-The Sneak now gets to choose to eliminate either M.Bison, Ryu, or Fei-Long from Ruffnite’s character selection pool for the rest of the tournament. The Sneak eliminates Ryu making him unplayable by Ruffnite for the rest of the tournament. Had The Sneak won, Ruffnite would have had the choice of eliminating Ryu, Chun Li, or Ken.

Tournament progression:

-Once the bracket is posted, find your opponent and either PM them here or send them a message via XBL.

HDR 360 SST:

Ruffnite vs The Sneak
    Current eliminated characters:
    Ruffnite (none)
    The Sneak (none)

Results:
    Ruffnite (M. Bison) > The Sneak (Ryu)
    Ruffnite (Ryu) > The Sneak (Ryu)
    Ruffnite (E. Honda) < The Sneak (Chun Li)
    Ruffnite (Zangief) < The Sneak (Ryu)
    Ruffnite (Fei-Long) > The Sneak (Ken)

Ruffnite > The Sneak 3-2
    The Sneak eliminates Ryu

Other notes:

-This is a friendly PA tourney and as such, we are relying on an honor system. If you lose, you lose. Congratulate your opponent and cheer him on to win the whole thing. Seek revenge in the next tourney.
    -All match-ups have a three day window to be completed. Once a match has been completed, it is up to the players to send each other PM's or messages to start up their next match. If the opponent needs an extension, then it must be agreed upon by both players and it doesn't hold up the tournament.
    -In the case where one player has sent repeated PM's or messages with no response, then the player that is sending the messages must send a PM to both me and the opponent, as well as post in the forum. If no response is heard with 48 hours then the player who sent the message to me will be automatically advanced to the next round.
    -If two players can't connect to each other and it's still the first round of the tournament, then one player will be reseeded to the opposite end of the bracket. If there are connection issues after the first round, then one of the following two options must be followed:
    1) One player forfeits.
    2) Both players play against a neutral 3rd party and based on the results of the match-ups, one player is eliminated.

SFL
    The Street Fighter League (SFL):

League rules:

-Teams will be comprised of five players per team.
    -Point based regular season with a six team playoff.
    -Each team's players will have to choose three unique characters to play throughout the course of the season. Only one version of each character can appear on each team. Once characters are selected, they will remain that way for the rest of the season.
    -For each team game in the season, both teams will assign a slot number to each player on their team. This slot number can change between games.
    -Each slot number will play against the opposing teams slot number.
    -There will be a total of fourteen games played throughout the season. Seven games are considered “home” games and seven games are considered “away” games. This works out so that each team will play every other team once at “home” and once “on the road”.
    -The home team always has the advantage. The advantage is that the “away” team must reveal their first and second slots before the games are played. This allows the “home” team to counter select against their first two opponents.
    -The season will last fourteen weeks and Monday is considered to be the start of a week and Sunday is the end.
    -The league will be overseen by a Commissioner. The Commissioner cannot participate in the League and must remain neutral throughout.
    -Each team will have a team captain that is responsible for posting all information on the boards and keeping in communication with his teammates.
    -On Monday, each “away” team must post up their first and second slots by noon (eastern standard time). Afterwards, both team captains must PM their line-ups to the Commissioner by 6pm (eastern standard time).
    -The Commissioner will post up the line-ups by 7pm (eastern standard time).
    -As soon as the lineups are posted, the games can be played.

In game rules:

-The first player to win 2 total matches will be declared the winner.
    -Basically, the rules are identical to the Single Elimination Tournament.

Scoring:

-Once the line-ups are posted, find your opponent and either PM them here or send them a message via XBL/PSN to set up play times.

HDR PS3 SFL:

The Fiery Peppers @ The Ultra Combos!!

1) Taramoor > TheSuperWoot (2-1)
    2) MNC Dover < James Dekk (0-2)
    3) RuffNite > B:L (2-0)
    4) Solsovly > Antihippy (2-1)
    5) King Kong > SabreMau (2-1)

The Fiery Peppers > The Ultra Combos!! (8-5)

-Failure to post up your results properly will be an extremely stern talking to by the Commish and me. Seriously, it makes it easier for us to pick out results from the posts this way.
    -Each team has an overall record and a team score. The overall record is determined by the results of the individual matches. The team score is calculated by adding up the total number of match wins per player. For example:

The Fiery Peppers win the match and improve to 1-0 overall with their 4-1 outcome over the Ultra Combos!! The Fiery Peppers also earn 8 points as a team based on the 2 wins by Taramoor, 0 wins by MNC Dover, and 2 wins each from RuffNite, Solsovly, and King Kong. The Ultra Combos!! fall to 0-1 in the standings but earn 5 points towards their team score.

-It is possible, however unlikely, that a team can earn more points and still lose the overall game.
    -If a player is unable to attend a scheduled game, then his match is forfeited and his team gains no points towards the team score. It's basically considered a 2-0 loss.
    -If three players on the same team fail to show up, then their combined losses denote an automatic team loss. The other two players should still play the games though to help increase team score.

Standings:

-Teams are ranked each week based upon their overall record first and in case of a tie, their team score.
    -If two teams are still tied after that, then a single set of 5 games will be played by the two teams to determine the winner.
    -After all of the games have been played in the regular season, a playoffs will begin. The top six teams will be entered into the playoffs with teams seven and eight sitting it out.
    -The playoffs are fairly straight forward; teams five and six play each other. The winner advances to play team four and so on until a team is faced off against team number one. The winner of that game is crowned the SFL champion.

Other notes:

-This is a friendly PA tourney and as such, we are relying on an honor system. If you lose, you lose. Congratulate your opponents and plan on crushing them the next time you play.
    -All match-ups officially begin on Monday when the rosters appear in the forum. Both teams have until the following Sunday at midnight (pacific standard time or 3am eastern) to finish the games. This rule is absolutely crucial to follow if we are to keep this thing flowing properly.
    -In the case where one player has sent repeated PM's or messages with no response, then the player that is sending the messages must send a PM to both me and the opponent, as well as post in the forum. If no response is heard with 48 hours then the player who sent the message to me will be automatically be declare the winner in his match.
    -If two players can't connect to each other, then two players will have their slot numbers switched by the Commissioner. If this doesn't solve the problem, then one of the following two options must be followed:
    1) One player forfeits, with the score is considered 2-1.
    -DO NOT enter this league if you don't think you can get in one game a week. I know it's not asking a lot, but we all have lives and work to deal with at the same time. This is different though because not showing up and playing means letting down your teammates. If you can't commit, then I'd recommend not participating in this league.
    -I highly recommend that the team captain get the email addresses or PM his team regularly. The team captain will have the final say on roster spots and once it's posted it cannot be undone. If you want a specific spot for an upcoming game, I'd recommend talking to the captain ahead of time.
    -Remember that each player on the team will have three UNIQUE characters to play. If someone on the team chooses Balrog, NO ONE ELSE on the team can play him. Character selections are only done at the beginning of the season and cannot be changed.
    -If a team captain doesn't post his “away” slots on the board by the alloted time, then the Commissioner has the right to automatically fill his slots based on the slots from the last game they played.
    -I highly encourage teams to come up with some fun team names and logos. The more creative the better.
    -I also encourage people not playing to root for their team.

FF
    Fight Fest Tournaments (FF)

-Single elimination style tournament.
    -A player advances after winning two out of three games.

Tournament progression:

-All games are played that day. These tournaments will be finished in the SAME DAY. That means if it's scheduled to start on Saturday at 3:00, you better be ready to go.
    -To avoid clutter on the boards, it is recommended that only one Fight Fest tourney be held per weekend.
    -Sign ups are taken up to a certain time based on the designated leader running the tournament.
    -After the cut off time has been reached, the leader will then create a bracket and post it up to the forums.
    -Everyone who wants to play must be on XBL/PSN 15 minutes before starting time.
    -It is up to the players to check the boards to see who they will be facing first.
    -Once a match is over, a player must message the tournament leader with the results. The leader will then tell him who his next opponent is.
    -The entire tournament shouldn't run more than an hour to an hour and a half.
    -Do not post your results in the forums unless you can't reach the leader.
    -This style tournament is meant to be quick and painless. Do not let it drag out if at all possible.

All of these rules will apply to both a PS3 and a 360 tournament. In addition, all of these rules will also apply to SF4 and HDR. Given that, we are looking at a potential of 16 tournaments, not including one day Fight Fests. This is a rather large undertaking and I'll more than likely need help in making things run smoothly. I am NOT currently asking for sign-ups yet, but rather giving everyone an idea of what kind of tournaments they have to look forward to.

Enjoy!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't do that many. Too confusing.

I'd say vote on a singles tourney style and a team tourney style. It's still 8 tourneys total and Fight Fests here and there, but 16 is just way too many.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Don't do that many. Too confusing.

It's honestly based on how many people want to sign up. The PS3 version of HDR has next to no players on this board, so in all likelihood we won't be seeing it in any form. That would bring down the number of tournaments from 16 to 12. I can honestly say that I can handle that many, but I don't want people to get too confused. Basically, I don't want HDR to get left out in the cold because I still love that game and thinks it deserves better. :)

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2009
    Suicide, I like team too but I don't know if we have enough people on the PS3.

TheStig on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would like to be informed of any future tournament action.

Teams sounds like fun.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So...can we start signing up?

I agree that this might be getting to confusing, one single-elimination and one team tourney would be enough I think, with fight fests now and then.

House of Paincakes on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Street Fighter League sounds like badass fun.

I wanna sign up for any team that will have me! :D

4rch3nemy on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    my two cents:

Single elim is sort of a no brainer and I really like the idea of 1-day weekend tourneys.

The two team themed tourney's I have my doubts with. I'm honestly not even sure we'd have enough people to form enough teams to really make it work... and considering our everyday scheduling problems even going through a single round could be an incredibly chore. Just not a fan really.

The suicide mode or whatever sounds interesting. I could see it getting confusing but I'd give it a go.

aBlank on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The league based team thing seems like it requires way too many players on a team. I'd say maybe a two man tag team scenario would be pretty interesting with each player playing each other player on the opposing team, team with the best record advances. To use your example:

1) Taramoor > TheSuperWoot (2-1)
    2) MNC Dover < James Dekk (0-2)
    3) Taramoor < James Dekk (1-2)
    4) MNC Dover > TheSuperWoot (2-1)

You and Tara's five games would lose out to the six wins by Dekk and Woot. Since that system could potentially die, make each team pick which player on their team would rematch for the tie breaker.

ChaosHat on
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All the tourneys sound really fun but also quite complicated. I'm definitely up for w.e though as long as people don't let them drag on unnecesserily.

The fight fest sounds really great! Team tourneys sound pretty sick as well, I like the idea of only being able to have limited characters. Will make for varied teams hopefully with some teams going really exotic, like Dhalsim, Seth and Vega or something.

When's signups? end of the month? We could try a fight fest tourney this weekend maybe eh?

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    look how long it took to complete the single elimination tournaments, and the relatively small amount of people participating. all these crazy tournament ideas sound interesting, but i think theyre asking for trouble. whatever, if dover wants to start up all kinds of crazy shit i'll punch dudes in the face in whatever context. just sayin.

Ah_Pook on
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    When's signups? end of the month? We could try a fight fest tourney this weekend maybe eh?

That's the beauty of Fight Fests, anyone can run them at any time. To maximize results, it would be best to give everyone a lead of about 5-6 days, but whatever. Simply declare yourself a leader, set up a time, take names, and make a bracket based on the turnout.

GO GO GO!!
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    whatever, if dover wants to start up all kinds of crazy shit i'll punch dudes in the face in whatever context. just sayin.

You're my hero.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll sign up for single or suicide elimination. The latter sounds fun, and will force me to work on more of the roster.

stigweard on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the idea of a random character tourney, where you just flat out pick a random character for each match. And maybe you get one veto per matchup - so if you get Dan and your opponent gets Sagat, you can re-select your character for that match, but not any of the others against that player.

Evil Multifarious on
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Suicide elimination.

More characters the better.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited April 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    I'll sign up for single or suicide elimination. The latter sounds fun, and will force me to work on more of the roster.
    Suicide elimination.

I agree completely with you two. Forcing players to choose other characters is more exciting to watch and actually makes the players better in the long run. You never know how much fun you could have playing that character you once thought was awful.

I know there was a lot of cut/paste action going on in the rules, but I did get into more specifics on dealing with long delays and connection issues. The long and short of it is this; if you want to join the SFL you are of the understanding that this will take a long time to finish, say around 16 weeks or so. The other tournaments now run on a 3 day play window, with a 2 day deadline after that. If you can't hook up within a 5 day period you are eliminated and the tournament moves on without you. While that sucks, it also moves things along and keeps it from getting stale. And when there are slow times, we just plug in a Fight Fest or two to keep everyone happy.

I guess that when I start taking sign-ups we'll have our answers as to what we are going to end up playing.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »
    Suicide elimination.

I agree completely with you two. Forcing players to choose other characters is more exciting to watch and actually makes the players better in the long run. You never know how much fun you could have playing that character you once thought was awful.

I know there was a lot of cut/paste action going on in the rules, but I did get into more specifics on dealing with long delays and connection issues. The long and short of it is this; if you want to join the SFL you are of the understanding that this will take a long time to finish, say around 16 weeks or so. The other tournaments now run on a 3 day play window, with a 2 day deadline after that. If you can't hook up within a 5 day period you are eliminated and the tournament moves on without you. While that sucks, it also moves things along and keeps it from getting stale. And when there are slow times, we just plug in a Fight Fest or two to keep everyone happy.

I guess that when I start taking sign-ups we'll have our answers as to what we are going to end up playing.

In the spirit of forcing people to play more characters I was going to suggest a "pick your oponent's character rule" but I think we would just see way too many Fei-Longs.

TheStig on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would pick Sagat for my opponent out of spite.

Then when my opponent picks Fei Long for me, I would immediately regret that decision.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    For the Team Single Elimination Tournament (TSET), are teams that consist of more than one of the same character allowed?

RuffNite on
    xbl: RuffNite