Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Big Street Fighter Tournament thread *Sign ups are closed*

• James DekkJames Dekk Registered User
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    James Dekk wrote: »
    And I have no idea what happened with those raging demons. I always hold up when I see they're coming, but Sol said I could've jumped over them and didn't. Weird.

Yeah, it LOOKED like you would be able to jump over them but you couldn't...twice. That's bizarre.

There was a decent amount of input delay. It definitely threw off timing for both of us.

The raging demons were just strange. I usually use d.mk to buffer into it and screwed up both times. Especially that last one where I fireball FADC into raging and accidentally stick out my foot.

I had two victories due to flukey raging demons and he missed a ton of overhead into jab combos, most likely due to our input lag. I missed almost all of my tatsu into FP--> demon flip but that doesn't really effect me as much. Honestly, I'm pretty sure if there wasn't lag James would have won.

Eh – the lag did throw me off a bit but it doesn't make up for the other mistakes I made. I'm pretty confident that you're the better player at the moment.

James+Dekk.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    guys, you're freaking me out here

someone call someone else a scrub and tell them to learn to play

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

UR A SCRUB LRN2PLAYLOL
    Spoiler:

XBOX Live Tag: Solsovly
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel J.2C When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

UR A SCRUB LRN2PLAYLOL
    Spoiler:

Fails for lack of use of "family man" and the going home of.

• B:LB:L Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congrats Sol!
    Spoiler:

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Sol is a beast =D

xbl: RuffNite
  • SabreMauSabreMau Still featuring glasses. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Signups for next tournaments soon?

1yrxP.jpgmXcqC.jpgtYRm1.jpg
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »

If we do 3 man teams let's make team saikyo, i call blanka!

the-place-beyond-the-pines-03_thumb_zps3d4e0ec7.jpg
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TheStig wrote: »

I'd call Sakura, but I seem to be favouring Gouken ever since we fought... :D

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited April 2009

You gotta let sabre have sakura man, he's our ticket to win.

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How about the crew from the SE++ tournament against you guys?

• King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

We prefer a challenge so we'll stick to G&T guys for now :winky:

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Aspiring Game Designer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Congrats to Sol. Here's your second belt. Wear them both proudly!

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3863/pasf4beltxbl.png

Yes, they will be happening soon. I need to get one more program back on to my new computer and I'll be 100% ready to go. As soon as that's done, I'll update the bracket to reflect all of the tourneys. I'm also still accepting requests for possible tournament ideas.

Right now, I'm going to run the following for sure:

-64/32 player single elimination tourney
    -16/8 team (48/24 player) team single elimination tourney
    -32 player suicide tourney
    -8 team (40 player) team league w/playoffs

This is a lot of tourneys to run and maybe a little too ambitious. We'll see. I'll update the original posts to reflect the rules, participants, and starting times. I'd also like to try and do some single day style tourneys where everyone who wants to play meets at a specific time and plays out the tourney in a single hour.

In all likelihood, I'll have to create a brand new thread and reserve the first five to seven posts to keep everything organized. It shouldn't be much different than what you see here though. If anyone wants to chip in art, recording matches, or is willing to help out in any other way, please PM me. I'll definitely need help keeping all the entrants in line as my PM box will probably fill up rather quickly.

Anyways, for now just keep practicing your SF skillz. The tournaments realistically won't be starting until the beginning of next month. That gives us two weeks to finalize all of the tournament types and set up a strict but fair set of rules to keep things running smoothly.

http://www.gamesbygray.com (my website and resume)
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    XBL Gamertag: MNC Dover
    Starcraft II: MNCDover.235
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Hero Academy: MNC_Dover
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Suicide tourney?

Sounds like fun.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited April 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Suicide tourney?

Sounds like fun.

Oh yeah, it will probably be the most entertaining to watch, but the hardest to play. :winky:

• SabreMauSabreMau Still featuring glasses. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    There wasn't any PS3 SE++ tournament. My Sakura plays on the PS3 side of things.

1yrxP.jpgmXcqC.jpgtYRm1.jpg
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What is a suicide tournament? Do losers have to commit seppuku? Is it what super hardcore players say is a real single elimination tournament?

Also, if you like I can help manage a tournament or two to take some of the administering off your hands. Preferably point based swiss systems, but anything will do.

ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Nice fights. Akuma winning the tourney makes me pretty satisfied. Congrats on the win.

So do we send requests for the tourney when the rules are set up? Cause I'd love a piece of this action. Teams, no teams whatever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

You gotta let sabre have sakura man, he's our ticket to win.

Exactly why I didn't call her. :P

That said, there's the whole thing about Dan originally being trained by Gouken, until he found out Dan's reasons for learning his fighting style... Honourary member of Team Saikyo? :D

leonroughdividesig.jpg
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 XBL - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Is it still round 1? I haven't followed this thread at all.

I want in on the next tourney. When?

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    King Kong wrote: »

We prefer a challenge so we'll stick to G&T guys for now :winky:

bring it.

edited April 2009
    OK guys, here are the proposed rules for the upcoming tournaments.

SET
    Spoiler:

TSET
    Spoiler:

SST
    Spoiler:

SFL
    Spoiler:

FF
    Spoiler:

All of these rules will apply to both a PS3 and a 360 tournament. In addition, all of these rules will also apply to SF4 and HDR. Given that, we are looking at a potential of 16 tournaments, not including one day Fight Fests. This is a rather large undertaking and I'll more than likely need help in making things run smoothly. I am NOT currently asking for sign-ups yet, but rather giving everyone an idea of what kind of tournaments they have to look forward to.

Enjoy!

• Fig-DFig-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't do that many. Too confusing.

I'd say vote on a singles tourney style and a team tourney style. It's still 8 tourneys total and Fight Fests here and there, but 16 is just way too many.

WeskerSig.jpg
    SteamID - Fig-D :: Xbox Live - Fig D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited April 2009
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Don't do that many. Too confusing.

It's honestly based on how many people want to sign up. The PS3 version of HDR has next to no players on this board, so in all likelihood we won't be seeing it in any form. That would bring down the number of tournaments from 16 to 12. I can honestly say that I can handle that many, but I don't want people to get too confused. Basically, I don't want HDR to get left out in the cold because I still love that game and thinks it deserves better. :)

edited April 2009
    Suicide, I like team too but I don't know if we have enough people on the PS3.

• shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would like to be informed of any future tournament action.

Teams sounds like fun.

Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So...can we start signing up?

I agree that this might be getting to confusing, one single-elimination and one team tourney would be enough I think, with fight fests now and then.

• 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Street Fighter League sounds like badass fun.

I wanna sign up for any team that will have me! :D

• aBlankaBlank Registered User
    edited April 2009
    my two cents:

Single elim is sort of a no brainer and I really like the idea of 1-day weekend tourneys.

The two team themed tourney's I have my doubts with. I'm honestly not even sure we'd have enough people to form enough teams to really make it work... and considering our everyday scheduling problems even going through a single round could be an incredibly chore. Just not a fan really.

The suicide mode or whatever sounds interesting. I could see it getting confusing but I'd give it a go.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The league based team thing seems like it requires way too many players on a team. I'd say maybe a two man tag team scenario would be pretty interesting with each player playing each other player on the opposing team, team with the best record advances. To use your example:

1) Taramoor > TheSuperWoot (2-1)
    2) MNC Dover < James Dekk (0-2)
    3) Taramoor < James Dekk (1-2)
    4) MNC Dover > TheSuperWoot (2-1)

You and Tara's five games would lose out to the six wins by Dekk and Woot. Since that system could potentially die, make each team pick which player on their team would rematch for the tie breaker.

ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User
    edited April 2009
    All the tourneys sound really fun but also quite complicated. I'm definitely up for w.e though as long as people don't let them drag on unnecesserily.

The fight fest sounds really great! Team tourneys sound pretty sick as well, I like the idea of only being able to have limited characters. Will make for varied teams hopefully with some teams going really exotic, like Dhalsim, Seth and Vega or something.

When's signups? end of the month? We could try a fight fest tourney this weekend maybe eh?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    look how long it took to complete the single elimination tournaments, and the relatively small amount of people participating. all these crazy tournament ideas sound interesting, but i think theyre asking for trouble. whatever, if dover wants to start up all kinds of crazy shit i'll punch dudes in the face in whatever context. just sayin.

sig_zpsceb29fbe.jpg
    edited April 2009
    StokedUp wrote: »
    When's signups? end of the month? We could try a fight fest tourney this weekend maybe eh?

That's the beauty of Fight Fests, anyone can run them at any time. To maximize results, it would be best to give everyone a lead of about 5-6 days, but whatever. Simply declare yourself a leader, set up a time, take names, and make a bracket based on the turnout.

GO GO GO!!
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    whatever, if dover wants to start up all kinds of crazy shit i'll punch dudes in the face in whatever context. just sayin.

You're my hero.

• stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll sign up for single or suicide elimination. The latter sounds fun, and will force me to work on more of the roster.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I like the idea of a random character tourney, where you just flat out pick a random character for each match. And maybe you get one veto per matchup - so if you get Dan and your opponent gets Sagat, you can re-select your character for that match, but not any of the others against that player.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Suicide elimination.

More characters the better.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited April 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    I'll sign up for single or suicide elimination. The latter sounds fun, and will force me to work on more of the roster.
    Suicide elimination.

I agree completely with you two. Forcing players to choose other characters is more exciting to watch and actually makes the players better in the long run. You never know how much fun you could have playing that character you once thought was awful.

I know there was a lot of cut/paste action going on in the rules, but I did get into more specifics on dealing with long delays and connection issues. The long and short of it is this; if you want to join the SFL you are of the understanding that this will take a long time to finish, say around 16 weeks or so. The other tournaments now run on a 3 day play window, with a 2 day deadline after that. If you can't hook up within a 5 day period you are eliminated and the tournament moves on without you. While that sucks, it also moves things along and keeps it from getting stale. And when there are slow times, we just plug in a Fight Fest or two to keep everyone happy.

I guess that when I start taking sign-ups we'll have our answers as to what we are going to end up playing.

edited April 2009
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    stigweard wrote: »
    Suicide elimination.

I agree completely with you two. Forcing players to choose other characters is more exciting to watch and actually makes the players better in the long run. You never know how much fun you could have playing that character you once thought was awful.

I know there was a lot of cut/paste action going on in the rules, but I did get into more specifics on dealing with long delays and connection issues. The long and short of it is this; if you want to join the SFL you are of the understanding that this will take a long time to finish, say around 16 weeks or so. The other tournaments now run on a 3 day play window, with a 2 day deadline after that. If you can't hook up within a 5 day period you are eliminated and the tournament moves on without you. While that sucks, it also moves things along and keeps it from getting stale. And when there are slow times, we just plug in a Fight Fest or two to keep everyone happy.

I guess that when I start taking sign-ups we'll have our answers as to what we are going to end up playing.

In the spirit of forcing people to play more characters I was going to suggest a "pick your oponent's character rule" but I think we would just see way too many Fei-Longs.

• shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I would pick Sagat for my opponent out of spite.

Then when my opponent picks Fei Long for me, I would immediately regret that decision.

Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • RuffNiteRuffNite Registered User
    edited April 2009
    For the Team Single Elimination Tournament (TSET), are teams that consist of more than one of the same character allowed?

xbl: RuffNite