As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Essential Mac software?

YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
Just got a new MBP after years of windows based machines - does anyone have any software recommendations?

Rugged individualist
Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
YerMum on

• Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ESSENTIALS

These apps can be found in their own categories but are worth placing here at the beginning too so you know just how worthless your Mac is unless you have all of them installed.

VLC - Plays pretty much any format on Earth.
    Quicksilver (info / direct download) - The benchmark keyboard navigation program. Free and open-source, heavily customisable.

INTERNET
    Safari - It's on your hard drive and it's pretty good guys.
    Camino - If you like the way Firefox renders, Camino is the Mac-native browser that uses Firefox's rendering engine, Gecko.
    Firefox - If you can't live without FF, it's OK on Mac, but not native. So you lose niceties like the Cocoa window widgets, and keychain access.

NetNewsWire - The best RSS client
    NewsFire - The second best RSS client, if you don't like NNW
    Twitterific - If Twitter is the crack, Twitterific is the dealer.

Adium - The only chat client you need...
    Colloquy - ...unless you IRC, in which case you need this too

Transmission - Transmission is hands-down the best Mac native BitTorrent app. Download the nightly build, and you'll get blocklist functionality as well.
    Azureus - Azureus runs pretty well on Mac OS X, but it's Java code-base does mean it is slow, and just a little bit ugly. The plugins help a lot.

MEDIA / CODECS
    VLC - Plays pretty much any format on Earth.
    Mplayer - Popular rival to VLC.
    Perian - Popular codecs like Xvid packaged as Quicktime components, so you can watch these videos in any Quicktime-enabled program.
    Windows Media Components of Quicktime - A set of free Quicktime components to play all non-DRM'd Windows Media formats, including streaming a/v on web pages.
    Audio Hijack - Record the sound output from any program on your Mac.
    Airfoil - Divert any audio you want to your Airport Express
    Handbrake - Handbrake is your one-stop DVD rip shop.

OFFICE
    Microsoft Office - Still the best option, but the current version is really expensive. Get a second-hand copy of Office X 2004 off eBay. Solver is back in 2008's Excel but VBA support is still missing. Supposedly VBA is coming back for the next major edition. 2004 has both these features.
    NeoOffice - A Mac wrapper for OpenOffice. Much better than wrestling with X11.
    iWork '08 - The office suite developed by Apple. Keynote is a PowerPoint killer, Pages is perfectly capable as a Word replacement and Numbers is a good (basic) spreadsheet editor (note that I didn't say Excel replacement)

SYSTEM FUNCTIONALITY
    MacFuse - MacFuse allows all sort of fancy disk mounting, including drives connected via SSH. Really nifty.
    SMCFanControl - A temperature monitor and fan control program that sits in your menu bar. Cool that blistering Macbook Pro. Settings stick after a restart, so it's good for boot camp gaming.
    Quicksilver (info / direct download) - The benchmark keyboard navigation program. Free and open-source, heavily customisable.
    LaunchBar - A lightweight alternative to Quicksilver. Less features, but noticeably faster.
    RCDefaultApp - A Preference Pane for setting default apps (browsers, email, etc), Media actions, URL handlers, hardware actions, and file type associations (extensions, MIME types, and OS 9 resource codes). An indispensable tool. Use it to disable Safari's exploitable RSS reader.

TEXT EDITING
    TextMate - A text editor for programmers, amazing functionality, well worth the handful of euros.
    Smultron - A great free alternative to TextMate
    TextWrangler - A freeware cousin of BBEdit, supports markup and Unixy stuff
    TeXShop - If you write papers using LaTeX, this is the best editor to get the job done on Mac OS X. You should also look into BibDesk for your BibTeX repository.

VIRTUALIZATION
    VMWare Fusion - Arguably (not really) the best virtualization software for Mac OS X. Faster, more stable, and better integration than the alternatives. Costs $79 monies.
    Parallels Desktop - Actually the new Parallels beta (4.0) is WAY faster than VMWare, AND it integrates with Boot Camp MUCH better. Competition = good. Also $79 monies.
    VirtualBox - A free, multiplatform virtualization product. Works very well but slower and with fewer features than commercial alternatives. (No bootcamp partition support)

WEB DEVELOPMENT
    CSSEdit - The best CSS editor money can buy, on any platform. Saves me hours of time scanning CSS files daily.
    MAMP - You could use the built-in server, or you could get MAMP and have an Apache/MySQL/PHP install out of the box.
    Sequel Pro - A great GUI to manage MySQL databases.

From the OP of the now-dead Mac thread.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Five must-haves: Firefox, Adium, VLC, Perian, Quicksilver.

Are there certain tasks you need to perform on this machine?

thegloaming on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I use Seashore for some simple image editing. There's also an app that is almost just like MS Paint (if you find yourself missing it) but I can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

I've also been using the utorrent beta for OSX. It isn't quite as nice as Transmission yet, and it does have it's issues, but at least it has DHT support (if Transmission gained this recently, hit me up!).

Trentus on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've been using Komdo Edit for a lot of text/code editing on OSX (and Windows). Its a bit slow to load, and has way more features than I need (although I do love code completion/checking/highlighting), but its worked better than the other free alternatives for me.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My top used Mac Apps:

MPlayer Extended - (free) for playing all media types (runs faster than VLC or Perian on my machine)
    TextMate - a pretty advanced text editing app. Good if you're a developer.
    ExpanDrive - mount FTP drives as a read-write hard drive so apps can save directly to it.
    DropBox - File Sync. Good if you run more than one machine. Cross platform.
    Sabnzbd+ - (free) news reader, .nzb reader, downloader, unrar, unpar, unzip, categorize, all automatically.
    Transmission - (free) torrent app.
    iSale - create nice looking eBay postings, and keep track of them automatically. Drag & Drop pictures from iPhoto.
    VMWare Fusion - Run windows (or a boot camp instance) as a virtual machine.
    Handbrake - a nice anything -> anything video converter. Presets for all devices included.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you come from a *nix background, Aquamacs Emacs is awesome. It's a fork of emacs (one of the most full-featured, robust, and overly-complicated text editors ever), that adheres to OS X interface standards. So you've got tabs, Cmd-key shortcuts, universal clipboard support, etc, along with your bog standard emacs implementation.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No CyberDuck love?

It's the best free FTP client for the Mac.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And then there's Transmit 3, the best non-free FTP Client.

http://www.panic.com/transmit/

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    KisMAC: I don't advise its stumbling capability (because fuck that, pay for your own internet) but it has a really excellent tracking system for your network including various signal strength stats.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There are plenty of reasons to use stumbling. Once, I was lost in an area with no cell coverage and mostly vacant weekender houses. I opened my laptop, ran a stumbler, drove slowly and eventually got online. I then made a quick skype call, checked out Google Maps and was on my way.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2009
    Zack: I was just saying that so I wouldn't get yelled at for posting it. Some boards are iffy about those sorts of programs. If it's fair game then hey, stumble like a drunk for all I care. :D

Organichu on
  • Options
    PlasticLackPlasticLack Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can anyone recommend a good (ie free) audio conversion app for OS X? WMA to MP3 is always useful.

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Can anyone recommend a good (ie free) audio conversion app for OS X? WMA to MP3 is always useful.

Grab these two and install them.

Perian - Popular codecs like Xvid packaged as Quicktime components, so you can watch these videos in any Quicktime-enabled program.
    Windows Media Components of Quicktime - A set of free Quicktime components to play all non-DRM'd Windows Media formats, including streaming a/v on web pages.

Once you've done this, Quicktime will read just about anything you throw at it. Use iTunes to make MP3s.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg