As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Dark Spire [DS] - out now! buy it!

• JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How long did it take all of you to do the gambling thing, and did you have the gambling ability trained when you did? This is taking me way, way longer than probability indicates.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Probably about 5 minutes or so and I had the gambling trait on my Mage/Thief. You only have to win 5 times in a row then you stop and they'll give you the item.

urahonky on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    None of my guys have the right stat combo to get the gambling trait yet and i've probably spent 3 hours or so trying it with no success, i've now decided to just leave it until I stat up someone enough to get gambling

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited April 2009
    After about an hour and a half, I've not won more than three times in a row. This guy is getting way too many 11s and 12s. Then, I don't have gambling trained, since none of my characters have the requisites for it. Maybe I'll grind a new one up quick...

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn you ALL. I shouldn't be reading this thread, and I *definitely* shouldn't be sitting here with amazon.com open staring at the $28 price tag and contemplating this....

Masamune42 on
    edited April 2009
    Do it. Support the little guys.

urahonky on
  • Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    *grumbles* Stupid peer pressure always making me do things....

Fine, fine, game is bought. I don't know where I'm going to find time to play this... better hook me fast!

Masamune42 on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'll probably buy this when money comes my way again.
    Nearly done with EO2.

Xagarath on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can one ever truely be done with EO2?

The answer is...yes. I never did finish getting every possible class up to 99...Just five characters in the mid 80's...:P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited April 2009
    Took the pre-generated level 2 mage, gave him 1000 exp from the flame jewel turn in, and ground another 500 EP out of dudes. With gambling thus acquired, took me ten minutes. Should've gone faster, but I kept matching him on six and seven with four wins.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So how hard is this game compared to EO2

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can one ever truely be done with EO2?

The answer is...yes. I never did finish getting every possible class up to 99...Just five characters in the mid 80's...:P

I think finishing the sixth stratum'll do me, personally.

Xagarath on
    edited April 2009
    question about the moonlight jewel quest, I've checked out translated japanese wikis, gamefaq quest maps wandered around pretty much all of the basement but
    how do I open the door thats "shut tight" at n19 e14? I assume the switches to open up the jewel are behind there but I can't figure out how the hell to open it or find instructions anywhere

edit: also does anyone know what exactly the requirements are for gambling? I read 13 dex and 13 int but I want to be sure before I grind a new character up to whatever level is required for it

taliosfalcon on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    question about the moonlight jewel quest, I've checked out translated japanese wikis, gamefaq quest maps wandered around pretty much all of the basement but
    how do I open the door thats "shut tight" at n19 e14? I assume the switches to open up the jewel are behind there but I can't figure out how the hell to open it or find instructions anywhere
    Isn't that the first jewel quest?
    Go to N20, E8 on the first floor... there are two hallways with 2 switches each. You have to make each switch "click"

That'll involve a bit of fancy footwork, but it should unlock one door, where you'll find a doll that you need to break.

Then you need to hit all 4 switches again, and the door to the Moonlight Jewel room will open.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

edit: also does anyone know what exactly the requirements are for gambling? I read 13 dex and 13 int but I want to be sure before I grind a new character up to whatever level is required for it
    To get to those shut doors you have to cross one of two long hallways. Each of those center sections have a switch on the floor that go "click" or "clank". You just need to match up the sounds to open doors. I forget which is which, but 4 "clicks" opens one door, and 4 "clanks" opens the other after you dispell the magic barrier around the other door.

As far as gambling goes, I'm not sure what the stats are, but I do know that level 3 is a requirement for it. My mage and thief both can get it and their min stat for dex/int is 13. But it was only an option for them after reaching lvl 3.

Anyone know what scrap metal is good for? or is it just junk to throw away?

Cobell on
    edited April 2009
    Cobell wrote: »

To get to those shut doors you have to cross one of two long hallways. Each of those center sections have a switch on the floor that go "click" or "clank". You just need to match up the sounds to open doors. I forget which is which, but 4 "clicks" opens one door, and 4 "clanks" opens the other after you dispell the magic barrier around the other door.

As far as gambling goes, I'm not sure what the stats are, but I do know that level 3 is a requirement for it. My mage and thief both can get it and their min stat for dex/int is 13. But it was only an option for them after reaching lvl 3.

i'm looking at a map right now and I think the door i'm stuck at is actually before the two long hallways if you look here http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5044/darkspiremap.png i'm @ the
    door in the upper right/middle with the pink upwards pointing arrow just to the left of it

i've heard the only thing you can do with scrap metal is throw it at monsters, for next to no damage, its basically junk

if switches are just indicated by sound later on it sounds like I may need to actually turn my DS' sound on (i hate the walking effect) which is sad

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    Cobell wrote: »

i'm looking at a map right now and I think the door i'm stuck at is actually before the two long hallways if you look here http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5044/darkspiremap.png i'm @ the
    door in the upper right/middle with the pink upwards pointing arrow just to the left of it

i've heard the only thing you can do with scrap metal is throw it at monsters, for next to no damage, its basically junk

if switches are just indicated by sound later on it sounds like I may need to actually turn my DS' sound on (i hate the walking effect) which is sad
    No, it's not indicated by sound, it tells you with text.

That door that you're stuck at, you need to have a Thief pick the lock (examine the door with X). You'll run into quite a few of those in the Tower, if you save at them you can keep reloading if it ends up being "too difficult" to open, rather than having to exit the Tower and come back.

RedMageDarion on
    edited April 2009
    No, it's not indicated by sound, it tells you with text.

That door that you're stuck at, you need to have a Thief pick the lock (examine the door with X). You'll run into quite a few of those in the Tower, if you save at them you can keep reloading if it ends up being "too difficult" to open, rather than having to exit the Tower and come back.
    GAH, i can't believe i've been stumped so long on something so stupid..especially when I think back and realize i've picked other locked doors D: thanks =(

edit: wow, the game ramps up the rape far more than the EO series once you hit the main floor of level 2 =0 i've been trying to get back to town for roughly an hour with no luck, i've just hit a dead end @ the pirate base where it appears I need to backtrack a loooooooong way to get anywhere that might take me near town and my chances of survival are slim =0

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    taliosfalcon,

Did you find the stairs to the first floor that took you to the opposite side of the elevator? Before you get there you walk through unlit areas, and there's a secret door that opens up to the 1st area allowing you to get to town faster.

urahonky on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seems like the thread title should be 'only more hardcore'.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    taliosfalcon,

Did you find the stairs to the first floor that took you to the opposite side of the elevator? Before you get there you walk through unlit areas, and there's a secret door that opens up to the 1st area allowing you to get to town faster.
    whew, i just loaded up my save managed to *barely* backtrack to there ( i use the heroic formation and my tank was down to 1 hp from poison and I had used all my spells/items) found it and made it back to town. It was a horribly awesome experience, i kept finding stairs and thinking "these must lead to a shortcut back to town...OH GOD NO WHERE AM I NOW?!" and doors I hoped would lead back to areas i'd been to before so i'd at least know where I was (protip: the doors always, ALWAYS lead to bad places) this game is definitely growing on me.

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    I read in the SA thread that if you equipped a Thief with a stabbity weapon (like a kris or estoc) and selected hide, you could do some pretty great damage the next turn, even from the back row. I tried it out on my thief, but it wasn't very good, and definitely not near the damage output of my front warrior. This could be because his strength is 10, though. I have a second warrior whom I relegated to the back line with a spear, too, and some levels in thief. Gonna bring his thief level in line with warrior to see what sort of hilarity can result from a spear ninja in plate.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Jesus I don't know how I survived that pirate part but I somehow made it out without any deaths. Not ONE but TWO fights in a row with a ton of guys in each.

urahonky on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmm ... so the auto-map is useful? I always get lost in first-person dungeons, and a map sitting right in front of me is the reason I love Etrian Odyssey so much.

Also, how are save features? Can you save and quit in the middle of a dungeon, or at least temporarily suspend?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited April 2009
    Well it's not always sitting in front of you, but if you hit Y you can pull it up quickly. You aren't ever shown on the map unless you cast a spell but you can usually find where you are in relation to where you've been.

I prefer it this way to drawing my map in game, honestly.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    Well it's not always sitting in front of you, but if you hit Y you can pull it up quickly. You aren't ever shown on the map unless you cast a spell but you can usually find where you are in relation to where you've been.

I prefer it this way to drawing my map in game, honestly.

Aye. Really helps improve your navigational skills.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited April 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Also, how are save features? Can you save and quit in the middle of a dungeon, or at least temporarily suspend?

You can save just about anywhere other than in the shops. It's nice when you get to a locked door because you can save it and reload if it fails.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    Holy guardian is pretty much the best thing ever, it makes my main tank pretty much unhittable...the only problem is the enemies i'm fighting also seem to have really low AC so battles can go 3 or 4 turns without anyone landing a single hit =0

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    God I hate that. The one thing I wish they'd add is the Auto-Attack option so I don't have to mash A one hundred times per fight.

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    God I hate that. The one thing I wish they'd add is the Auto-Attack option so I don't have to mash A one hundred times per fight.
    If your just doing standard attacks you can hold down A and it'll speed through over and over (I didn't realize this until i'd played about 5 hours D:) Its almost like an auto attack

taliosfalcon on
    edited April 2009
    If your just doing standard attacks you can hold down A and it'll speed through over and over (I didn't realize this until i'd played about 5 hours D:) Its almost like an auto attack

Thank you so much

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game... sounds pretty awesome.

Dammit... there is too much shit out right now. Gonna have to make a choice. Approximately how many hours of play would this one entail? If it's 40-60, I'm in.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I haven't heard of anyone beating it yet, if that says anything.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's a good sign. It sounds very in depth, which lots of options for character, class, and party makeup. Damn.

Lately, I've been really itching for a classic dungeon crawler type game. I think I'm just tired of the JRPG model, and some of the western RPGs (NWN2, mostly) aren't cutting the mustard. This one looks fun, and challenging. And that art style is really impressive.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited April 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »

Thank you so much

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    If it tells you anything... I'm about 6 hours in and haven't made it to the 3rd floor yet. Not sure how many floors there are, but yeah...

urahonky on
    edited April 2009
    I'm up to 31 hours already.

Sooo... yeah. It's pretty long.

RedMageDarion on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blaaarph. My Gamestop sold out(closest thing to me). I'll have to order it online and wait longer, heh.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
    edited April 2009
    So I guess I just beat the game.

Go me!

RedMageDarion on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Crap, you just must have more time than I do, I just barely breached floor 5.

Blood Drive on