As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Alien Hominid

The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So, Xbox Live Arcade is finally about to pick up some steam in the next little while with a slew of releases of real, quality games. To kick it off is Alien Hominid HD:
Alien Hominid is a fast-paced 2D side scroller where players must run, jump and shoot their way across the globe in persuit of the alien's coveted UFO.
The artwork is completely hand-drawn and hand-animated, with character design by Dan Paladin (also known as synj).

I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty excited to finally get a chance to play this game as the Gamecube and PS2 versions were pretty damn hard to come by. But now for only 800 of your MS Points ($10 US, $12.79 CAD, £6.80 GBP) you too can play it in HD. The gameplay is very remenicent of Contra and Metal Slug, where it's all about dogding bullets while killing and destroying everything on screen. There are even two mini games that support Xbox Live multiplayer and in a short while The Behemoth, creators of this game, intend to give away real trophies for those on the top of the leader boards.

The small prototype which led to the creation of this game. It's essentially a demo of the first part of the beginning stage.

I present to you some visual goodies to wet your appetite. (SS taken from TeamXbox)

1170181295.jpg

1170181294.jpg

1170181293.jpg

The_Dciple on

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I had the xbox version of this and it was fucking superb. Pretty damn hard at times but oh so fun. This'll be getting a purchase from me.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm really excited about this. I would have downloaded it immediately but A) I don't have the XBox 360 A/V cable until later this week due to a mistake in packing & B) I found a Wii yesterday. 800 points is awesome; I thought it was going to be 1200. I'm really looking forward to trying it out in a couple days.

RainbowDespair on
  • The_DcipleThe_Dciple Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm really excited to play this game over the weekend with friends.

It's also kind of cool how quickly you learn to adapt to the difficulty of this game.

When I first started it up I could barely beat the first level without continuing around five times. So when I finally run out of continues and start playing from the beginning I was just tearing shit up, and only dying twice on the first level.

Also, the Soviet Missile Commander game is glorious.

The_Dciple on
  • SkatDarkstarSkatDarkstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Definitely gonna pick this up. And castle crashers as soon as that comes out

SkatDarkstar on
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am more interested in another Alien Hominid than another Metal Slug. The crown has been passed.

FreddyD on
  • blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really want to play this... but yesterday my xbox borked itself for the second time, and apperently yelling at tech support for a few hours and breaking a phone doesnt get one a free repair.

Fuck.

blakfeld on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Will this be as hard as the old one? Because honestly, it just wasn't very fun, and played like a less polished Metal Slug.

Also, when the hell is SotN coming?

Vincent Grayson on
  • shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got the Cube version of this used at Blockbuster over Christmas. It seems like it'll be fun, but the tiny TV I used to have made it almost impossible to see what was happening on screen at any given time. Now that I have a much nicer TV, I'm eager to hook it up and play.

I will say that even on the tiny TV, 2 player was an absolute blast.

shyguy on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm really stoked to download this when I get home tonight. This looks like it'll be something both me and my wife can enjoy together. Plus I really love the art style.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Will this be as hard as the old one? Because honestly, it just wasn't very fun, and played like a less polished Metal Slug.

Man, sidescrolling shooters of old were all about patterns. You play level 1, you die on level 1. But you learned things about level 1. What enemies were where, and how they attacked. Soon, you struggle but complete level 1. Than you get to level 2 and repeat the process, but you can walk all over level 1 with your eyes closed.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really wanted to like this but I guess that there simply was too much happening on screen for me to handle. Love the artwork though, even if it made a living hell for me to ascertain what was dangerous and what was harmless windowdressing.

Silpheed on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

Man, sidescrolling shooters of old were all about patterns. You play level 1, you die on level 1. But you learned things about level 1. What enemies were where, and how they attacked. Soon, you struggle but complete level 1. Than you get to level 2 and repeat the process, but you can walk all over level 1 with your eyes closed.

I realize that, but playing it just wasn't enjoyable. Metal Slug is fun, Contra and its' ilk were fun, this was not. The controls were sloppy, there was far too much going on, and far too little room for error for it to be anything but an exercise in futuility.

Also, I'm annoyed because I really want SotN, and there's no date for it that I'm aware of, and it's tainting my ability to be happy about other XBLA releases prior to it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The sheer nuttiness of this game is wonderful. The fact that the FBI has gigantic assault robots. The stereotypical Russians. "Warning: Do Not Damage Head" (with arrows pointing to the head).

And the butterscotch pudding monster that barfs butterscotch pudding at you. Love it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have the PS2 version.

It's awesome.

It's also hard as fuck. And there's some slowdown.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited February 2007

I realize that, but playing it just wasn't enjoyable. Metal Slug is fun, Contra and its' ilk were fun, this was not. The controls were sloppy, there was far too much going on, and far too little room for error for it to be anything but an exercise in futuility.

Also, I'm annoyed because I really want SotN, and there's no date for it that I'm aware of, and it's tainting my ability to be happy about other XBLA releases prior to it.

What version did you play? The controls are extremely tight.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I played this way back when it was just on Newgrounds and had fun, but never cared enough to buy it retail. Maybe I'll pick it up now.

Zek on
    edited February 2007
    Holy cow are the Russian levels just rediculously difficult.

This game truly is great but as a few others (other) have said that it just sort of lacks the "polish" I guess of Metal Slug and Contra, I think mainly just because the enemies spawn somewhat randomly.

Just got to the desert area and it's still awesome.

I'm just wondering what the difference between hard and medium are; is it just that bosses have more health or what?

Trying to collect hats is becoming somewhat addicting.

The_Dciple on
    edited February 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I played this way back when it was just on Newgrounds and had fun, but never cared enough to buy it retail. Maybe I'll pick it up now.

The flash version is downright awful in comparison to the retail version.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm the kind of guy who never blocks and rarely dodges in video games. One-hit-kill games like this are my worst nightmare.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Unfortunally German people get a bloodless, cut "flower version" :/

It feels like I am 9 again and my mom decides what games to buy. Lets see if creating an american account solves the problem. (I don't even live in this stupid country anymore and still have to deal with shit like pre-censored Steam-games etc.)

edit:

I have seen some videos from the PS2 version and there are some details which I like more than compared to the HD version: Intro sequences of the characters, a better main menu (alien hands selecting menu entries FTW), short tutorials showing actual gameplay and the various moves.

Dratatoo on
    edited March 2007
    Dratatoo wrote: »

It feels like I am 9 again and my mom decides what games to buy. Lets see if creating an american account solves the problem. (I don't even live in this stupid country anymore and still have to deal with shit like pre-censored Steam-games etc.)

edit:

I have seen some videos from the PS2 version and there are some details which I like more than compared to the HD version: Intro sequences of the characters, a better main menu (alien hands selecting menu entries FTW), short tutorials showing actual gameplay and the various moves.

XBLA has a size limit, and it's something ludicrous like 50mb, so it's possible they had to cut some features to make it fit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

edit:

XBLA has a size limit, and it's something ludicrous like 50mb, so it's possible they had to cut some features to make it fit.

I believe it was recently upped to 250MB to fit Castlevania: SOTN.

bruin on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

edit:

I believe it was recently upped to 250MB to fit Castlevania: SOTN.

MS made an exception for SOTN. I believe the 50mb limit is still in place, except in rare cases.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited March 2007
    I beat the game on medium.

Just started on hard and haven't noticed any tangeble difference yet.

The_Dciple on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The flower version is actually pretty hilarious, at least in the US version.

I played through the whole game on normal, until I got to the final boss, which I turned down to easy after being killed like a jillion times.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Robo BeatRobo Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Steakery Cakery. Hairy Nanny Day Care. Enlarge Your Body Parts. Krappy Kone.

Even the buildings in the background made me LOL.

Robo Beat on
    This is not the greatest sig in the world.
    This is just a tribute.
  • BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know about the minigames, but does this game allow straight up online co-op? Because then I would buy it in a heartbeat. The PS2/GC version was great. And I also agree that the flash version sucks compared to the retail version.

BiggNife on
    edited March 2007
    BiggNife wrote: »
    I know about the minigames, but does this game allow straight up online co-op? Because then I would buy it in a heartbeat. The PS2/GC version was great. And I also agree that the flash version sucks compared to the retail version.

I don't think it does.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not really enjoying this. I love the art, but the difficulty is bordering on painful. I expected more finesse and will probably give the full version a miss.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2007
    Roshin wrote: »
    I'm not really enjoying this. I love the art, but the difficulty is bordering on painful. I expected more finesse and will probably give the full version a miss.

I know it seems like I'm tirelessly defending this game, but it gets better the more you play. The difficulty curve is a bit high, but you'll be blazing through it in no-time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Roshin wrote: »

I know it seems like I'm tirelessly defending this game, but it gets better the more you play. The difficulty curve is a bit high, but you'll be blazing through it in no-time.

It's like playing Contra without The Code.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombieXZombieX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't understand why people are having so much trouble with this game. They give you so many continues that you can afford to die a lot and still beat the level.

ZombieX on
    Undead+Hero%20X.png
    edited March 2007
    ZombieX wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are having so much trouble with this game. They give you so many continues that you can afford to die a lot and still beat the level.

Indeed. You get what, 5 continues with 5 lives each? And once you complete a stage you can continue at that stage when you play again, but you lose your current score.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Any tips for the electric-shock boss guy on 3-2?

I've killed him on easy just by randomly shooting, but on Hard I don't have enough lives, and I can't figure out his pattern.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • xxhennersxxxxhennersxx Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    i wonder if they got rid of the glitch where if you're in a boss battle and player 2 dies, than the boss runs off screen in search of them. It's in the Ps2 and GC version.

edit: wait, what? people are having problems?! this game isn't even that hard! They give you ample lives and continues. I had it beaten within the week I got it, and I can't even beat Banjo-Kazooie.

xxhennersxx on
  • coffin joecoffin joe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What's the best version on the old systems? I'm leaning towards the Cube. Does it slow down at all?

coffin joe on
    I can smell ants.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am pretty surprised at how people are having trouble with this game. It basically gives you twenty five lives by default. It took me two days to beat it for the PS2, and I'm not a shooter or shmup player by any means (although I love difficult games). AH is definitely easier than the Contra games I've played.

Evil Multifarious on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Adding one continue after another just to stay in there a little longer isn't fun for me. I had heard a lot of good things about AH and expected a bit more than this. That's all, really.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2007
    coffin joe wrote: »
    What's the best version on the old systems? I'm leaning towards the Cube. Does it slow down at all?

I own the PS2 version, and I don't recall any noticeable slowdown, except maybe in areas with lots of bullets and explosions. For the most part, it seems to run smoothly without any hiccups.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png