The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Who hates fighting games?

15681011

Posts

  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Look, playing for fun is one thing, but playing to see who is better at a game is something else entirely.

    I don't understand why some people are enraged that the Smash community would dare disable items and ban certain maps. I mean sure, playing sudden death pokeballs on high is tons of fun, but playing a more minimalistic game, and working solely within the abilities of your character is its own kind of fun.

    The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of serious SSB players prefer items off. If you want to play in a tournament with items on, find some people who share your mindset and make your own. I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys playing with items on, but fuck you if you want to start telling me I'm doing it wrong.

    Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Here's my explanation of Dokapon Kingdom (assuming you know of Mario Party):

    Take Mario Party and remove the minigames. In their stead, have classic RPG-like combat, complete with gear, stats, spells and levels. You move around on the board with more control than in Mario Party, beating NPCs and liberating cities. There are a ton of random events like in Mario Party, but in this game they have a much, MUCH stronger impact. You can willingly attack the other players, steal shit from them, including towns and money (which are how you measure victory and ranking). Basically, take everything that make Mario Party random and cheap, and multiply it ten times over, and add the fact you can really fuck up the other players at will.

  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    Here's my explanation of Dokapon Kingdom (assuming you know of Mario Party):

    Take Mario Party and remove the minigames. In their stead, have classic RPG-like combat, complete with gear, stats, spells and levels. You move around on the board with more control than in Mario Party, beating NPCs and liberating cities. There are a ton of random events like in Mario Party, but in this game they have a much, MUCH stronger impact. You can willingly attack the other players, steal shit from them, including towns and money (which are how you measure victory and ranking). Basically, take everything that make Mario Party random and cheap, and multiply it ten times over, and add the fact you can really fuck up the other players at will.

    A tabletop-rpg hybrid game with game mechanics EVEN more broken than mario party? Is that even possible?
    D:

    For what console is this dokapon kingdom?

    firma1m.th.jpg
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Huh. I thought this was a thread about people hating fighting games. Not a clash of PhD Thesis findings on the effects of Items in Smash Bros.

    I personally love Fighting Games, regardless of how good or bad I am at a particular one, because, to me, Fighting Games have always been about friendly competition. They're a social game, a way to test yourself against your peers while laughing and hooting and talking hilarious smack.

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just for fun, I'm going to put up a post I made in the actual Dokapon Kingdom thread. The terminology may confuse you but honestly it probably makes it better:
    Spoiler:

    Games built around randomness are amazing fun, but it's hard to draw huge conclusions from them. Generally, just like real life, they tend to just bring out the worst in people.

    That said, games like casual Smash and Dokapon are right up my ally, since I find that as I grow older, the battlelust of my youth has subsided and I don't want to compete so much as just have fun.

    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Huh. I thought this was a thread about people hating fighting games. Not a clash of PhD Thesis findings on the effects of Items in Smash Bros.

    I personally love Fighting Games, regardless of how good or bad I am at a particular one, because, to me, Fighting Games have always been about friendly competition. They're a social game, a way to test yourself against your peers while laughing and hooting and talking hilarious smack.

    Yeah...that is how I feel about them. For the most part I'm above average but at the same time not a a really pro level when it comes to fighters. On a scale of 1 to 10 of skill, I tend to teeter between a 6-8 depending on the game.

    That is one of the reasons I miss arcades. It was nice to be able to play face-to-face with people who are just as enthusiastic as you about something. And except for the occasional jackass, most people would take losing/winning pretty good and most shit talking was just in good fun. Really, they just had a nice sense of community to them.

    I've been considering actually trying to search out tourney places when I get a car, but at the same time I really don't want to go an get my shit handed to me by people who practice the game more than I do...so I don't know how much fun I could have at them.

    Truly, I don't know if the arcade scene will ever be created again here in America. Online is nice and while I doubt it'll ever be perfect they have made some strides with it, but that still doesn't come close from the fun you get from playing someone face-to-face.

  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish to speak!

    Something was mentioned only once in this whole thread that I think is important and is something that utterly shits me about most fighting games. I hate when what you are shown on the screen does not correspond with what happens in the game. People talk about "priority" but I think it is rubbish. When a developer creates a game they are making every element of game and I think a lot of the time that they could create a much more harmonious and homogenous product if the display they provide gave more accurate feedback of what was actually happening within the game's systems. I think this is true for fighters of the 2D and "3D" varieties ("" for the fact that most of them are really 2D with 3D presentation and maybe a sidestep if you're lucky). Yes, one can learn which moves have "priority." I've done it in many titles. But is it really too much to ask for a fighting game that reacts based on what you're seeing rather than a hidden set of arbitrary rules? REALLY? In this day and age? I think, if nothing else, it would be an interesting alternative to a fairly unevolved genre. When I think about it, the 2Ders have remained fairly unchanged since the days of SF2, which, admittedly, on the surface, employed a fairly elegant and various system, until we learned to break the game. I'd never heard of a tic throw back in the day but we did them all the time and felt like cheap little bitches for it. That's beside the point, however. The 3Ders, within their own series have evolved little over the years and really aren't all that different from eachother, at least I think the similarities outweigh the differences. Powerstone was always a bit different but it kind of disappeared. I think the VF series evolved the most within its own series but that may be because it was the progenitor and therefore had the greatest scope for growth. Never played Bushido Blade but the descriptions of it always intrigued me. Smash is different. It really is a great "fuck you" to traditional fighters but all three Smashes still suffer from the "what you see is not what you get" problem to varying degrees. I think Brawl is the best in the series in that regard but still nowhere near optimal. (I love or have loved many games in all these subgenres in spite of this gripe I have). This is quite rambly, I know but I just think it's time, with all this tech these days which I feel really, on the whole, has not been put toward any significant use (this is just my feeling, there's probably room for a whole flamey thread about it, I don't care) that someone brought something really new to the table in terms of one on one (not exclusively, I suppose) realtime arena-based human combat simulations. Something with accurate collision detection, location damage, weight and velocity based damage, real 3D movement. That's just off the top of my head. Could be fun or could suck, I don't know, I don't design games for a living. I suspect, if done well, it would at least be interesting.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish to speak!
    Spoiler:

    Wall of Text has priority over most moves; one of the few things that beat it flat out is the Quote Spoiler, or perhaps the Humorous Trimdown.

    I get your point about wanting Priority to correspond to the visuals, but in my opinion, it usually does. However, there are going to be times when it's visually ambiguous; when that guy is mid-level super-kicking at the same time as that chick's mid-level super punch, who wins? There's no clear winner based on animations, and that's just something that's going to occur as a limitation of the medium itself.

    Perhaps if you could give some examples?

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Roxtar wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    SSB, Power Stone and Naruto are not fighting games, and they don't even have difficult inputs or combos that keep you from just picking them up and playing them.
    Please tell me how SSB is not a fighting game.

    Its a platform brawler, to call it a fighting game is blasphemy.

    It's a game where the point is to fight people. Therefore it is a fighting game.

    Just because it's not a traditional fighting game doesn't make it not a fighting game.

    I find it funny that other genres, like RPGs for example, can have incredibly varied play styles...but if a fighting game is different, nope it's not a fighting game.

    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    I wish to speak!
    Spoiler:

    Wall of Text has priority over most moves; one of the few things that beat it flat out is the Quote Spoiler, or perhaps the Humorous Trimdown.

    I get your point about wanting Priority to correspond to the visuals, but in my opinion, it usually does. However, there are going to be times when it's visually ambiguous; when that guy is mid-level super-kicking at the same time as that chick's mid-level super punch, who wins? There's no clear winner based on animations, and that's just something that's going to occur as a limitation of the medium itself.

    Perhaps if you could give some examples?

    nuclear blast resulting from super-super contact crits level for 9999. Level becomes nuclear wasteland, cheering crowd becomes skeletons and/or radiated dust.

    that'd be pretty epic.


    edit: Breaking News:

    Quake is a fighting game. Objective is to fight people, not traditional, but still fight.

    ps: I'm being shallow and pedantic. Please don't hate.

    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Page- wrote: »
    Well guess what? The items spawn like that because the game is not meant for tourney play. I still don't quite see your point since both players can grab the items, and Evo did remove a bunch of the items, only the ones that were deemed to be balanced (they have drawbacks as well, aren't overpowered) were allowed.

    Developer intent is irrelevant.

    Next.

    HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't understand how items made things less balanced. You have just as much of a chance of finding the exploding pill as your opponent does. So those are still balanced.

  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »
    snip
    My point though, is that items have been playtested, and found to be detrimental to the gameplay.
    By the people who only played Fox on Final Destination, so gives a fuck what they decided. The EVO tourney videos are actually fun to watch, unlike most "competitive" SSBB vids.
    Please don't talk when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

    HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't understand how items made things less balanced. You have just as much of a chance of finding the exploding pill as your opponent does. So those are still balanced.

    It makes the outcome more random, which apparently makes a competitive game less fun, although I guess nobody told Vegas this yet.

    vvvvvv-dithw.png
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Items are random, so that makes thing fair. However, its unbalanced, because you can randomly lose a stock, which gives your opponent a huge advantage that he didn't earn.

    Compare to poker: Played over the course of dozens of hands, poker is a balanced game.

    Now imagine that you're only playing 4 hands, and if you draw the ace of spades you automatically lose that hand.

    Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood rapid decline speak no evilRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Boy this sure is a fresh argument.

    Go to Smashboards if you want to have an endless ssb items debate. Jesus Christ.

    37gqz5zc547d.png
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There is so much depth inherent in the physics engine and character movesets of Melee that having items just serves as a distraction.

    Item smash is fun, but it's a completely different game and it's not the game that the serious community decided was worth exploring. Get over it.

    HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Regardless, SSBB tweaked the item spawns such that exploding pills don't spawn directly in front of an attacking player.

    vvvvvv-dithw.png
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Boy this sure is a fresh argument.

    Go to Smashboards if you want to have an endless ssb items debate. Jesus Christ.
    Or not because the debate is so old and stupid no one has it anymore. It only comes up with people who don't actually play it seriously.

    HOW DO YOU FUCK UP BAGELS. YOU BOIL THE WATER. PUT IN THE NOODLES
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seriously. I enjoy playing Smash, but this isn't the thread for the Item/No Item debate. Take it elsewhere.

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Seriously. I enjoy playing Smash, but this isn't the thread for the Item/No Item debate. Take it elsewhere.

    You probably like having items in Smash...

    Or you don't like having items in Smash...

    Either way I hate you and everything you stand for.

  • NORNOR Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I have recently taught a pair of teenagers (aged 14 and 15) how to play guilty gear xx accent core.

    This took me approximately a week. Both of them are capable of some of the rather harder technical feats in the GG games (for instance, both of them can FRC at least one of their attacks). Neither of them at wanted to play the game at all at first.

    Neither of them can exactly beat me very often yet, but that's not my point.

    Anyone bitching about fighting games being to complex probably has issues with exerting any effort at all.

    That said, there really isn't any good reason for the technical hurdles players have to go through to play these games being so damn high (I'm looking at you 1 frame links and FRCs, fuck 360 and larger circle motions too, made me so damn happy that Sirlin fixed that shit in STHD).

    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood rapid decline speak no evilRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If they didn't even want to play it then why the fuck did you teach them to

    37gqz5zc547d.png
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Please don't talk when you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
    Since I already dropped that topic at request of others I'll just heavily imply you're an assdolphin without outright saying it.

  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wish to speak!

    Something was mentioned only once in this whole thread that I think is important and is something that utterly shits me about most fighting games. I hate when what you are shown on the screen does not correspond with what happens in the game. People talk about "priority" but I think it is rubbish. When a developer creates a game they are making every element of game and I think a lot of the time that they could create a much more harmonious and homogenous product if the display they provide gave more accurate feedback of what was actually happening within the game's systems.

    I agree with you about the visual feedback, but in a different way I'd say. Yeah, priority can be weird sometimes, like, you can anticipate your opponent's move, time a punch perfectly, but still get hit by their attack? annoying. What annoys me about super street fighter 2 turbo (old game, so hard to blame it) and it happens in other games too, is that there is that inconsistency in the visual feedback. Like in ss2ft, Deejay can fierce jump kick and hit nothing but air and you still get hit. Yet with some other characters, you barely miss or sometimes kick right through the sprite, since it all comes down to hitboxes (which you cannot see). In my opinion, you don't need to memorize hit boxes or anything, but some moves are extremely misleading when it comes to visual -> what is actually occurring and what you need to do to stop it (and I'm not talking about overheads).

    Also in regards to the first post, maybe in newer games, but in street fighter 2 (and from what I've seen, 3 somewhat) you really don't need to memorize some big ass combo to be competitive. In fact, most of the time 2-4 hits is good enough. Hell, in ssf2t (and any sf2 interation) a two-hit combo can be extremely effective (like fierce punch into dragon punch). The complexity of the game lies in knowing other things like spacing, knowing what moves and tactics are effective against other characters (this really comes by just playing a bunch, you eventually learn), learning how to utilize cross-ups, tick throws, etc. to help mix up your game to keep your opponent guessing, and how to defend against those as well, reversaling etc.

    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't hate them, they're just not for me. My wife and I got really into Soul Calibur, and then Soul Calibur 2, because we played together and improved together. So while I won the majority of the matches starting off, she stuck with a character and improved and won quite a bit more often. We had arcade pads & everything.

    Of course, we moved on, and I realized that fighting games are pretty much only fun if you have someone to play against in person. Lag's too much of an issue online (and it's only recently that games have even considered it), so unless you hunt down competition in your area, you're stuck playing against bots. And the posts about how fighters are a "pure" form of a lot of other games really makes a difference there -- yes, you have to be quick, and you have to know a character's moves, and the strategy and tactics to win. But if you're playing against the computer, who cares?

    And if you practice and get so good that no one in your circle of friends wants to play against you, good job. You've practiced so much that you "won" and have no reason to play the game anymore.

    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only fighter I really liked was Bushido Blade. I was unstoppable at that game.

  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    fshavlak wrote: »
    The only fighter I really liked was Bushido Blade. I was unstoppable at that game.

    Bushido Blade was awesome. I was never amazing at that game but I still had a ton of fun with it.

    I can hear Black Lotus doing that stupid "mash the button" Rapier combo in my head, right now.

    Sig4_zpsbbad355d.jpg
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Priority isn't really something thats directly programmed into the game. Its really just a combination of timing, invulnerability frames, and placement of hitboxes.

    One thing I really liked about SSF2:HDR is that in training mode, you can turn on hitboxes and see exactly why an attack loses to another attack.

    Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't get the tekken hate. I've seen all the arguments, so there's no need to rehash them. I don't disagree with said reasons, opinions are all equally valid. I just don't hold them issal.

    I do, however, very rarely see caucasian people playing it. I mean sure I mean yes most of the time I've played it at arcades said arcades have been in or near chinatown or in the middle of an area like that.

    Yet I can still count the number who play it in comparison on one hand, whereas I see a lot of causasian dudes playing the sf4 cabinet across from the tekken machines in the same area.

    I'm guessing it's a cultural based dislike. I wouldn't know, I don't understand western culture all that well despite being caucasian.

    Location: Sydney, Australia
    My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As far as ethnicity and background goes...I'd say MvC2 has the best spread really. I always see all kinds of people playing it. I guess it has something to do with the familiarity of the Marvel characters and the fast-paced action of the game.

  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tekken IS really, really Japanese, where as Street Fighter comes off as a bit less culturally-centric. I mean, dude. Gon, Kuma, and Mokujin.

    Just saying, Tekken is a bit more, well, "Anime", at first glance, and that's just not everyone's bag.

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Street fighter 4. Booya! Have you seen the amount of threads weve been through on it?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tekken comes off as incredibly mashy even though its not and gets lost in the shuffle.

    It doesn't have the flair of DOA or Soul Calibur.

    It doesn't have the Technical Virtuosity of Virtua Fighter.

    It doesn't have the tradition of Street Fighter or KoF.

    It's both too simple and too complex to get a good audience. Plus the games after 3 just felt a bit off in small areas.

    It's also got some of the lamest characters ever.

    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The last tekken I played seriously (lol... well not that seriously) was Tekken Tag Tournament, which I remember being fun as hell.

    I'm excited for T6.

    Steam & GT
    Spoiler:
  • j0hnz3rj0hnz3r Registered User
    edited April 2009
    First of all, I hate the whole "fighting game are hard, I don't wanna/shouldn't have to practice" argument. Bullshit. It's a competitive game. ANY game, video or otherwise, where you have to "compete", you're gonna have to practice. Being hard is what makes it great, it's what makes the high's so high and the lows so low. If you don't like it, don't play. What's so hard about that? I'm sorry your ego bruises so easily and that it doesn't come naturally to you and that the game isn't catered to come naturally to you, but man the fuck up.

    Second, I have a theory about fighting games and why they draw so much more ire than other competitive games. Fighting games are hard. They're really fucking hard. They take a whole lot of time and practice to be any good at. BUT the difference between it and the other two major competitive video game genres is that the matches are very personal.

    In just about every FPS, it's you vs many, or team vs team. There's a lot of "random" things that happen and kills come and go. RTS's depend on you being at a god's eye perspective, and while at a very very high level you are controlling every little thing (i.e. Korean SC players), generally you don't have control and the computer is doing a bit of the work. Even Smash Bros and Power Stone at low levels cater to a certain FPS-like randomness, where things happen like lucky hits from players that weren't aiming for you or falling off the stage. They're also one vs many.

    Fighting games are personal. It's just you and the other guy. There isn't a third party to interfere. The environment plays little to no role. It really just comes down to how good you are versus how good the other guy is. So when people aren't good at them and can't come to terms with that, all they're left with is to bitch about how the other guy was cheap, or how the other guy "wasted" their time practicing while they had a life, or how the rules are unfair.

    It just sounds to me like whining about how dribbling the ball is dumb when you lose a game of 21.

    jedi_watchtower.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't get the tekken hate. I've seen all the arguments, so there's no need to rehash them. I don't disagree with said reasons, opinions are all equally valid. I just don't hold them issal.

    I do, however, very rarely see caucasian people playing it. I mean sure I mean yes most of the time I've played it at arcades said arcades have been in or near chinatown or in the middle of an area like that.

    Yet I can still count the number who play it in comparison on one hand, whereas I see a lot of causasian dudes playing the sf4 cabinet across from the tekken machines in the same area.

    I'm guessing it's a cultural based dislike. I wouldn't know, I don't understand western culture all that well despite being caucasian.

    I don't know.

    I'm of Asian descent. I was born and raised in an Asian culture. I don't like Tekken. I know other Asian people who don't like it either (actually, I can't immediately think of an Asian person who does, but I'm probably just not thinking hard).

    I mean, I'm not going to say it's as bad as Bloody Roar or something. I just don't think it's as good as any of the major 3D fighters of the past few years. Of course, I'll acknowledge that much of that is a matter of personal taste (same for people who like Tekken).

    Tekken was not hugely popular in Taiwan (most of my family was more SC/DOA), though it was popular while I was living in Yokohama (not VF popular, but well enough).

    I don't think it's a cultural thing. But I could be wrong.
    Tekken comes off as incredibly mashy even though its not and gets lost in the shuffle.

    It doesn't have the flair of DOA or Soul Calibur.

    It doesn't have the Technical Virtuosity of Virtua Fighter.

    It doesn't have the tradition of Street Fighter or KoF.

    It's both too simple and too complex to get a good audience. Plus the games after 3 just felt a bit off in small areas.

    It's also got some of the lamest characters ever.

    I don't really know about this, but I could see someone making that point. Personally, my harshest criticism of Tekken is the boring, mostly-same levels it used to share with SC (at least SC4 improved upon that). I don't like it's slow pacing, but I'll acknowledge that it's well suited for people who like a slower fighter.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah...I'll have to agree. After T3 I couldn't really get into it anymore. I'm still trying 6 though.

    Though I will say DOA has its own flaws. The stun system on that game is kind of broke, and the counter damage(not countering itself) has always felt inconsistent with me.

    Take Ryu's Izuna Drop. Normally it doesn't do much damage, but depending on the counter it can go from doing fair damage to more than half your health bar.

  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I had a couple friends who were into Tekken 3 back in college, I played it a bit with them. It's not a bad game, but it never really grabbed me. I could do alright with the Korean Kickboxer who's name is currently eluding me, but eventually stopped playing when my friend's Dr. B became unbeatable.

    *edit* 3, not 2.

    Steam: DigitalArcanist | PSN: DigitalArcanist | NNID: DigitalArcanist | Backloggery: Houn
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...I'll have to agree. After T3 I couldn't really get into it anymore. I'm still trying 6 though.

    Though I will say DOA has its own flaws. The stun system on that game is kind of broke, and the counter damage(not countering itself) has always felt inconsistent with me.

    Take Ryu's Izuna Drop. Normally it doesn't do much damage, but depending on the counter it can go from doing fair damage to more than half your health bar.

    Oh, god yes. *facepalm* I suppose I could say it's a complication of having ridiculously complex level design (stairways, multiple floors, destructable walls), but it still pisses me off when someone pulls it off on the edge of a platform and knocks me down a level.

    Also, in DOA2 you could do it underneath a bell in a bell tower for similar effect. At least that was a little funny though.

    Still, if it's a choice between that goddamn cheap circumstantial attack, and boring SC2-style levels, I'll take the goddamn cheap part.

    Orca wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote:
    Isn't "Your sarcasm makes me wet," the highest compliment an Abh can pay a human?

    Only if said Abh is a member of the nobility.
This discussion has been closed.