As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gliese 581 d and e. Recent discovery indicates we should send in Kevin Costner

tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.eso.org/public/outreach/press-rel/pr-2009/pr-15-09.html

Gliese 581 c and d are large exoplanets orbiting a star a mere 20 light years from earth, both weigh in at about 8 earth masses and are believed to have formed as icy giants in the outer solar system and drifted in. At the time of their discovery in 2007 it was believed that 581 d was frozen solid, and c was on the very very inner edge of the habitable zone in terms of temperature. Further investigation revealed that the likely greenhouse effect caused by its enormous mass would make any life like that on earth nearly impossible as most of the planet would be superheated steam.

However yesterday Gliese 581 e was discovered, with a mass of only 1.9 earths it is almost definately a rocky planet, perfect for life but it is far too close to the star.\

Don't despair however those who hope for an alien fishing trip, the new updated Data now places Gliese 581 d perfectly in the habitable zone. Its 'most likely' structure is a single giant endless ocean of liquid water, about 78 KM deep before it freezes. Surface gravity would be near identical to earth due to the lower density, and all in all with just a few methods for generating convection currents rising from the deep ocean to throw stuff back into the upper ocean it would be perfect for life.

So, what do we all think? Even if Gliese itself turns out to be a dud, this means we have found earth size planets and planets in the habiable zone of their stars even in the presence of near solar giant planets. This means there are likely hundreds of trillions of these planets, more common than grains of sand on the beach. On the drakes equation we very rapidly move from life being rare and far away, to life being uniform and everywhere!

edit - In other good news, the Bebo social networking site has already sent them some spam email, back in 2008 when it looked that c might just be habitable. http://www.bebo.com/amessagefromearth

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
tbloxham on

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finding planets, hooray!
    tbloxham wrote: »
    edit - In other good news, the Bebo social networking site has already sent them some spam email, back in 2008 when it looked that c might just be habitable. http://www.bebo.com/amessagefromearth

/facepalm

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great so...how long would it take to get there at our highest attainable speeds right now?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yay! That's so weird. A real, decent, like... probably not inhabited but inhabitable planet. This is so odd.

Kagera: at my top speed it would take 3000 trillion years.

I am not sure about spaceships though.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Great so...how long would it take to get there at our highest attainable speeds right now?

Billions of years? I didn't think our propulsion technology was that advanced yet given that we don't even have any interplanetary spaceships

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If it is actually 20 light years that's 5.86 trillion miles x 20. That's not so bad right guys?

edit: thats like walking to the waffle house down the road

Shogun on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fastest speed which human has ever travelled is 11.1 km/sec (Apollo 11).

20 light years is 189,085,099,110,000 km...

About 592,122 years, though I might have counted it wrong?

Seriously though, I think it's already a time to send a trip to Mars to find the ruins of an dead alien race so we can harness their amazing technology and get off this rock already.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually I mean, we have a couple near-relativistic ideas that could work. Like the drop-nukes-drive. It's just that you know, minimum 2-3 generations to get to something that far out. Unfortunately fucking Alpha Centauri is a disappointment and a half.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought we also had ionic propulsion for some of the unmanned probes. But then, ionic or plasma propulsion has the drawback of incredibly slow acceleration and no real slowing down ability.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fucking reality, be more like science fiction already....

Kagera on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've always wondered how a planet being entirely ocean would be possible... I mean it has to have a core of something, right, and an atmosphere, or else the liquid would just evaporate away into space (?). Would a core of frozen water be enough or would it have to be something more dense? Science people, elucidate me!

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Actually I mean, we have a couple near-relativistic ideas that could work. Like the drop-nukes-drive. It's just that you know, minimum 2-3 generations to get to something that far out. Unfortunately fucking Alpha Centauri is a disappointment and a half.

Such a cool name though.

I ain't just a plain centaur...I'm the ALPHA Centaur!

centaur.jpg

Seriously though, we need to start inventing antimatter and fusion reactors already.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've always wondered how a planet being entirely ocean would be possible... I mean it has to have a core of something, right, and an atmosphere, or else the liquid would just evaporate away into space (?). Would a core of frozen water be enough or would it have to be something more dense? Science people, elucidate me!

It wouldn't be entirely ocean, it would just be covered by it so much that land masses wouldn't be visible. I mean look at Earth, 71% of our surface is covered by water, it isn't such a huge stretch to imagine that there are planets out there that have shaved off those few dozen remaining percentage points.

Also, Europa:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(moon)

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pretty much what you said about it needing a core. It's not entirely ocean, like a bubble of liquid water, it's just that it's mostly formed from (I'm guessing) an Iron core, some sort of Silicate layer, then a bunch of water covering the very surface. Like, there's a lot of water covering it, but it's really most likely pretty small comparatively. I mean 78 Km sounds like a lot, but on a 15,000 Km sphere it's not a whole lot.

I mean even Mars right now has enough water to coat the whole planet in about 20 m of water.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'd LOVE a planet-sized pool.

Kagera on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    if theres someone I want to shoot into space for 500,000 years Kevin Coster would be top of my list

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009

Seriously though, I think it's already a time to send a trip to Mars to find the ruins of an dead alien race so we can harness their amazing technology and get off this rock already.

I'd wager that if we honestly devoted resources to it, we could drop a few orders of magnitude off that number inside a decade. We just haven't put any effort into increasing space-speeds in forever, since all we do these days is putter 30 year old superplanes around the exosphere.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'd wager that if we honestly devoted resources to it, we could drop a few orders of magnitude off that number inside a decade. We just haven't put any effort into increasing space-speeds in forever, since all we do these days is putter 30 year old superplanes around the exosphere.

Well, could we add the speed of the earths orbit (29.7km/s) to the ship's velocity assuming it is in approximately the same horizontal plane as our solar system. Unless there is something about orbit's I'm failing at.

also, our sun and the destination star could easily be moving away or towards each other at 40km/s, which could mean we get there twice as fast or never.
    Edit: according to this we are moving at 268.2km/s around the center of the galaxy, so a nearby stay (20light years) is probably also orbiting the center of the galaxy at about the same speed as us seeing as how the milky way is 100,000 light years across. so yeah, forget the +/- 40km/s, doesn't work that way for nearby stars, my bad.
    http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/2455/milky-way-spins-faster-has-more-mass-thought

Dman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sometimes I wonder where we would be if U.S.'s military budget was entirely devoted to NASA...

I can't wait when we get to Mars, though. That should happen during my lifetime as well.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sometimes I wonder where we would be if U.S.'s military budget was entirely devoted to NASA...

I can't wait when we get to Mars, though. That should happen during my lifetime as well.

Pfft, getting there is boring.

Setting up a colony would be cool.

Kagera on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

... It's only now that I realize how big space is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

... It's only now that I realize how big space is.

20 lightyears, is just a peas in the pod when you talk about space, honestly. If there is a planet supporting life this close from us, we would be REALLY lucky.

Artist's impression of Gliese 581e...I'd say that the sunrises would be kind of depressing.
    Phot-15a-09-fullres.jpg

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

We could have Orion drive propulsion, it'd fast as shit! Too bad the cold war happened and "nukes in space" got such a tacky feel to it :(

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Pretty much what you said about it needing a core. It's not entirely ocean, like a bubble of liquid water, it's just that it's mostly formed from (I'm guessing) an Iron core, some sort of Silicate layer, then a bunch of water covering the very surface. Like, there's a lot of water covering it, but it's really most likely pretty small comparatively. I mean 78 Km sounds like a lot, but on a 15,000 Km sphere it's not a whole lot.

I mean even Mars right now has enough water to coat the whole planet in about 20 m of water.

Actually, you don't need a core at all. Current theories suggest a core is likely, but once you get up to a few earth masses you could just plop a big thing of pure H2O right there and it would be just as stable as earth is. More in fact, rocky planets have an upper limit on their size, liquid and gaseous planets do not.

On this planet its not very big by liquid giant standards so it doesn't need a rocky core at all. Water doesn't usually freeze under pressure (think fish in a pond in winter, anything but H2O in there and it freezes from the bottom up rather than the top down) however under sufficient pressure it does freeze under compression. So go down 78 km and the water on this planet is crushed into ice.

The big thing about this being habitable would be the need for something down there to get stuff back up into the high ocean where there would be lots of solar energy. Otherwise all there would be was water, no carbon and metals which life needs. Once you have sub-ocean ice volcanoes, or gigantic planet spanning super currents to get things mixing into the high ocean then you could get all kinds of stuff on the surface over time. Even huge mats of floating seaweed, which could allow land animals to evolve.

Its tidally locked though, so it would be an odd place. Hopefully this might mean a constant churning balance between the hot sun side and the colder dark side which would encourage nutrients to not simply fall to the bottom.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    I thought we also had ionic propulsion for some of the unmanned probes. But then, ionic or plasma propulsion has the drawback of incredibly slow acceleration and no real slowing down ability.
    Ummm... accelerate until you're halfway there and then flip the ship around?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Honk wrote: »

We could have Orion drive propulsion, it'd fast as shit! Too bad the cold war happened and "nukes in space" got such a tacky feel to it :(

Orion drive is certainly good in the solar system, unfortunately extra solar probes are always going to be slow.

Even if we could build a ship with 90% of its mass being fuel, and that fuel being matter and anti matter and we could build a pusher plate design with zero reflectivity which could radiate heat fast enough to allow us to achieve an average speed of 66% of top speed (1/3 accelerate, 1/3 cruise, 1/3 brake) it would still take 82 years to get there. Orion drives work in the interstellar medium, but only just.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Still, 82 years isn't impossible. Though I guess any sort of generation ship just has a ridiculous host of problems. Not the least of which being the fact that 82 years (well, less but you know) on a spaceship is basically the worst thing I can imagine.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's the clever part about nuke-ships, though— It basically forces you to to take a large city along for the ride.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I guess it is also little silly to be so convinced that spending time with less than 15 million people nearby would be hell. It kind of was the default for most of history. Assuming the amenities are okay, it's not that awful. The bad part would be explaining to your kid that you think he's going to find a habitable planet when he turns 30. Hopefully.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I guess it is also little silly to be so convinced that spending time with less than 15 million people nearby would be hell. It kind of was the default for most of history. Assuming the amenities are okay, it's not that awful. The bad part would be explaining to your kid that you think he's going to find a habitable planet when he turns 30. Hopefully.

It'd be the ultimate case of "well, our generation doesn't have to worry about it..."

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Generation ships are a bad idea. It is all but certain that we'll develop the technology necessary to put humans into suspended animation before we have the combination of industrial capacity and political will necessary to build a generation ship. Hell, we'll probably have defeated aging in general before we have generation ships.

There are two real ways to explore the wider galaxy—find some way to cheat, through whatever contrivance of engineering, and get there faster than would seem possible now, or live for a really, really long time.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Time Dilation people.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pretty cool. Too bad interstellar travel is so damned impractical. At least we now have a decent guess for a destination when we get our first probe.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Time Dilation-
    -does very little for us back home waiting for them to get there.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »

Orion drive is certainly good in the solar system, unfortunately extra solar probes are always going to be slow.

Even if we could build a ship with 90% of its mass being fuel, and that fuel being matter and anti matter and we could build a pusher plate design with zero reflectivity which could radiate heat fast enough to allow us to achieve an average speed of 66% of top speed (1/3 accelerate, 1/3 cruise, 1/3 brake) it would still take 82 years to get there. Orion drives work in the interstellar medium, but only just.

This is 82 years from Earth's point of view right?

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Generation ships are fascinating. Especially when we're talking several generations coming and going before you hit your target. You'd best be nice to those children so they don't rebel on you, by the second generation, "Fuck this ship, I'm going home!" *turns ship around*. Then the third generation rebels and puts the target planet back on course. Then the fourth...

:)

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Time Dilation-
    -does very little for us back home waiting for them to get there.

So?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Generation ships are fascinating. Especially when we're talking several generations coming and going before you hit your target. You'd best be nice to those children so they don't rebel on you, by the second generation, "Fuck this ship, I'm going home!" *turns ship around*. Then the third generation rebels and puts the target planet back on course. Then the fourth...

:)
    Which is why any generation ship would be staffed by Hasidic Jews.

Edit: Good point though, if we got to say 30% of light speed, how long would it seem like to people on-ship?

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    Time Dilation-
    -does very little for us back home waiting for them to get there...

...and only kicks in when you hit relativistic speeds. At the point where you have meaningful time dilation, the travel time drops down to ~25 years or so even without dilation.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Pretty cool. Too bad interstellar travel is so damned impractical. At least we now have a decent guess for a destination when we get our first probe.
    Barring some unforeseen physics breakthrough, we'll probably have telescopes capable of identifying with near certainty a world that already contains life before we're capable of traveling through interstellar space. This discovery is important not because it gives us somewhere to go but because it indicates that these sorts of worlds (small, rocky ones) are not astronomically rare. It's not really a big shock (we were expecting that anyway, what with having four of them in our own inner solar system), but it is one more piece of the puzzle.

Of course, it's entirely possible that we'll find life elsewhere within our own solar system before too long anyway.
    HamHamJ wrote:
    Time Dilation people.
    Still requires you to get to around 99.99% of the speed of light before it's usable, which is beyond the capabilities of any known or projected propulsion system. I guess maybe a really insane battery of lasers near Sol pushing on a solar sail might work, but that'd take an engineering program of a truly enormous scale. It's also technically possible that you could achieve this with antimatter, I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Barring some unforeseen physics breakthrough, we'll probably have telescopes capable of identifying with near certainty a world that already contains life before we're capable of traveling through interstellar space. This discovery is important not because it gives us somewhere to go but because it indicates that these sorts of worlds (small, rocky ones) are not astronomically rare. It's not really a big shock (we were expecting that anyway, what with having four of them in our own inner solar system), but it is one more piece of the puzzle.

Of course, it's entirely possible that we'll find life elsewhere within our own solar system before too long anyway.

Or someone else finds us.

Personally, I'm hoping we find a race of MASSIVE space whales under that ice in Europa. Like the size of cities. Something so huge and alien that mankind hasn't been able to imagine it before.

DarkCrawler on